2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
28 members (Gretel, Alan B, bsntn99, David B, Issadore, DSC, ando, 10 invisible), 394 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai MP10 Electronic Music Demo
#1661932 04/17/11 06:08 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Here's a quick demo I threw together with the MP10:
Complete Mix

The sounds and effects are exclusively the MP10. The strings and choir are presets out of the box. All the others are ones I tweaked.

I sequenced it using Presonus Studio One, then played back over MIDI to the MP10 and recorded .wav files directly to a thumb drive connected to the MP10. I mixed the tracks in studio one. Other than setting levels, and panning, no other processing was done.

If you're interested in the different parts, here they are:
Percussion
Electric Piano
Rhythmic Electric Piano
Piano
Strings
Choir
Light Saber
Mwop

Re: Kawai MP10 Electronic Music Demo
AldoEsplay #1662134 04/18/11 05:15 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
More importantly .... how nice is Studio One as a DAW ? grin

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
AldoEsplay #1662296 04/18/11 11:39 AM
T
T
Very nice Aldo....I like the mood you've created. I wouldn't have guessed all those different sounds were part of a, primarily, piano board. Do you know if the MP6 has all that similar stuff and nice action? ...or is it much less featured?

Dr Popper #1662331 04/18/11 12:45 PM
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

First a comment about the recording. I was surprized at the range of sounds available on the MP10. I had thought you'd need to use a computer and a set of virtual instruments to get that sound. The music is what I'd call cinematic. I can see this used in a film. Making this kind os music is what got be into all of this in the first place. but it will be years before I'm up to the task.

Now about the DAW.

I have a copy of Studio One that Presonus gave me when I bought something else from them. On the Mac it lacks a native user interface so it comes off as "unnatural" and it lacks many of the subtle features and refinements and all the "extras" the come with Logic. (Logic comes with a good sampler, esx24, and some other virtual instruments, sculpture, ultrabeat,... and each of those is worth the price you pay for Logic.) But if you get Studio One for free it is well worth the price and you can get it free if you buy a Presonus audio interface.

If you are looking for high end DAW for a Windows PC, You can get ProTools and the light version are not really expensive. On the Mac the choice is harder because you have Both PT and Logic.

AldoEsplay #1662332 04/18/11 12:50 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I love Studio one ...I have the pro version installed and find its my "go to" quick and easy DAW these days ...and I use Mac's. I'm still a Logic user primarily or Pro Tools when I have to but I am very impressed with Studio One.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
AldoEsplay #1662335 04/18/11 12:54 PM
M
M
Very good job, I like it. Sounds like music from Hans Zimmer's studio. :-)

Regards,
Manolios

Yamaha C3 | CP88 | CP4 | Sauter 108
AldoEsplay #1662347 04/18/11 01:17 PM
K
K
I really enjoyed the piano part towards the middle of it. Very nice.

Dr Popper #1662525 04/18/11 07:55 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the compliments Tonio, ChrisA, and Manolios.
Originally Posted by Tonio
Do you know if the MP6 has all that similar stuff and nice action? ...or is it much less featured?
There are some similarities between the MP10 and MP6, but I'm not sure just how much. I'm equally ignorant on the action. Most of these "tweaks" are just a matter of adjusting the envelope, adding some effects/filters (like overdrive, chorus, filter resonance and cutoff, reverb, and EQ). Then some exaggerated key-off effects to add a little bit of a rhythmic echo. Some of the percussion sounds are just the piano transposed above or below its normal range and then playing open palm on the keys. I would think a good bit of that is available on the MP6.

Originally Posted by ChrisA
I was surprized at the range of sounds available on the MP10. I had thought you'd need to use a computer and a set of virtual instruments to get that sound.
The MP10 does give some tweakability. A lot is just a matter of playing around with the sound, and then using it for inspiration. The droning low pitch bass is just a tweaked vibraphone transposed way down, playing 2 notes a half-step apart (I think A0 and A#0), which creates audible beating. I adjusted the tempo of the song to match the beating.
Now about the DAW.

Originally Posted by Dr Popper
Studio One is surprisingly good. More so considering that it's a version 1. I tried the demo version, then bought the Artist version during NAMM for $20.11. Upgraded to pro so that I could use 3rd party plugins. On my old Mac, I get better performance out of S1 than Logic. It's also nice that it supports VST plugins. Lately, I've been getting frequent crashes, but I can't nail down why. Some problem with a memory pointer getting corrupted. I'm still on a PPC, so this may just be that not a lot of resources went into testing an old platform. Between S1 and Logic, I prefer S1 hands down. Even with the recent stability problem.

KHen #1662526 04/18/11 07:58 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by KHen
I really enjoyed the piano part towards the middle of it. Very nice.
Thanks KHen. Just a little improvisation. Then quantized the crap out of it because my timing wasn't very good. Normally, I don't use a metronome, so the clicking throws me off.

AldoEsplay #1662657 04/19/11 12:43 AM
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Lately, I've been getting frequent crashes, but I can't nail down why. Some problem with a memory pointer getting corrupted. I'm still on a PPC, so this may just be that not a lot of resources went into testing an old platform. Between S1 and Logic, I prefer S1 hands down. Even with the recent stability problem.

We are coming at this from different ends. You complain about Logic having so many features the program does not run well on your older computer and I miss features that I like with Studio on my newer computer.

But recent versions of Logic will not even run on a PPC. An Intel processor is required. So if you are on a PPC then you've not even tried a recent version of Logic. Intel switched from PPC to Intel in 2005.

ChrisA #1662680 04/19/11 01:48 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by ChrisA
We are coming at this from different ends. You complain about Logic having so many features the program does not run well on your older computer and I miss features that I like with Studio on my newer computer.

But recent versions of Logic will not even run on a PPC. An Intel processor is required. So if you are on a PPC then you've not even tried a recent version of Logic. Intel switched from PPC to Intel in 2005.
My quad G5 is definitely long in the tooth. And I'm using Logic 8. I understand that Logic 9 made some performance improvements. I should have clarified that I'm comparing S1 to Logic 8.

The performance issues for me don't seem to be related to the number of features it has. Sorry if I gave that impression. I get spinning beach balls with Logic, but not S1. And I can't get as many EWQL Play instances without it stuttering. On the other hand, there are a few things I used in logic that S1 lacks and I miss those. But for a quick and dirty project, it does what I need. When I get a new computer, I'll have to re-evaluate my DAW needs.

AldoEsplay #1662940 04/19/11 01:08 PM
T
T
Had some other questions for you Aldo; how is the set up for assigning midi tracks from your daw, into the MP? Is the MP 16 midi track multi-timbral? Do you have discreet onboard volume for each midi channel in the board?

Tonio #1663264 04/19/11 10:32 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Tonio
Had some other questions for you Aldo; how is the set up for assigning midi tracks from your daw, into the MP? Is the MP 16 midi track multi-timbral? Do you have discreet onboard volume for each midi channel in the board?
The MP10 divides sounds into 3 different sections, Piano, E. Piano and Sub (strings, harpsichord, vibraphone, choir, pads). Each section can be assigned to any midi channel (1-16). Or more than one section to a single midi channel if you want to layer. So it's possible to do 3 part multitimbral, but not 16 (at least not that I'm aware of). Volume for each section is independently controllable through the assigned midi channel.

The other option is to have midi channel 1 control the sections that are actively selected. This is the setup I used. I basically played around with sounds until I found something I liked. Recorded midi in S1. Then played back the midi and recorded a wav file directly to a thumb drive in the MP10 USB port. Then repeated for the next track.

Hopefully I'm addressing your questions. If not, let me know.

AldoEsplay #1663366 04/20/11 01:23 AM
T
T
Thanks Aldo....would be nice if it had 16 discreet channels, assignable to any sound, but, then again, that might be more polyphony than it could handle anyway.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA58/59 vs Roland HP704
by Moejo - 08/07/20 12:37 AM
Kawai MP7-no sound on 1 key
by Royce - 08/06/20 09:37 PM
Yamaha with a history coming up for sale
by BDB - 08/06/20 07:53 PM
Minor 6 chords in songs
by Visalia - 08/06/20 05:58 PM
Yamaha p515 headphone output panning problem
by omvibraphone - 08/06/20 05:56 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,767
Posts2,988,956
Members98,052
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission