2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1661378 04/16/11 04:47 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I'm looking for a newer kind of method of composing. I came across something called the Equal Interval System and that's the closest I've come to anything having to do with horizontal composition.

What I'm talking about is either using some sort of interval pattern on your piano to create a line (ie: up a 3rd, then down a 2nd, down a 2nd, up a 4th, and so on), or actually look at sheet music and do the same thing there. So basically you map out a rhythm and know which note values you'll use, then you just fill in which notes by using some sort of horizontal method.

It's like creating tension, resolving notes, using either consonant or dissonant intervals to do that, etc which is basically some kind of melody composition. Can someone point out a book or any material out there that covers this? It seems like a quicker way to compose which will cut down on thinking about theory too much and uses patterns instead.

Last edited by thared33; 04/16/11 04:49 PM.
C
C
I think what you are talking about is sequential chord progressions or modulations. When you go from lets say G minor to C minor to F minor to Bbminor, or A minor to B minor to C# minor to D# minor, you are moving by sequential steps. In the first example, you are moving up a fourth every time, and in the second example, you are moving up a major second every time. This is sequential harmony.

Here is a good resource for understanding of sequential chord progressions or other types of modulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulation_%28music%29

Last edited by Claude56; 04/16/11 05:42 PM.
A
A
Depending on what kind of "sound" you want your music to have, there are several systems that have been used. Arnold Schönberg created the 12 tone system for his raw material to compose from. See the following link for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-tone_technique

Also Olivier Messian, at times, used "modes of limited transposition" for his method. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_Messiaen

Both of these methods lead to more or less dissonant music if followed strictly. However, one can use the fundamentals of the systems, but not their strict application in all regards, to achieve a different result. For example, I just finished recording a gritty sounding jazz piece for organ (with foot pedals), drums and sax which loosely uses Schönberg's system. It will appear on the next AI CD.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission