2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (brdwyguy, David B, anotherscott, CraiginNZ, Bostonmoores, danno858, c++, Carey, BlakeOR, 7 invisible), 486 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1660105 04/14/11 02:10 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Greetings, pianistas,

Our piano search has come to its conclusion. Some time last year, I determined that I wanted to provide my son and his family with a musical legacy. At first the search was for a reasonably priced small grand for them; something that would be reasonable for his two boys to learn on. Unfortunately, this became a fairly frustrating endeavor, since nothing I heard in my price range had a sound I wanted to share. That is where the road took a bit of a turn.

Frequenting this site has been an amazing, and perhaps life changing experience. (More on that later.) My wife Kim and I purchase a Yamaha G2 back in 1992, and thoroughly enjoy this well made instrument, she being the player in the family. We looked at a few different brands when we made that purchase, but had never been exposed to the vast number of options this site regularly discussed. We had heard of Bosendorfer, but never imagined the rich variety of makers out there. Once properly educated, it seemed like a reasonable decision to look for a higher quality piano for Kim, and give the Yamaha to our son.

And this is where the adventure got interesting. Kim and I had the pleasure of spending part of a Saturday afternoon with Rich Galassini at Cunningham Pianos. After a tour of their restoration facility, Rich let us roam the showrooms and play a bunch of new and lovingly owned pianos they are holding for their next owners. Kim played everything from their Cunningham brand to a Bosie concert grand, and got a real feel for the tone and touch she was looking for. She made a second trip there on her own to play some other pianos including a lovely and new Schimmel Classic 182T Rich was able to show her. Now things get interesting for us.

We missed out on the Schimmel from Rich, but it had made such an impression, we added this maker to our short list. With this in mind, I was able to find a dealer local to us in the Lehigh Valley who also listed Schimmel among their brands. A short week after we missed Rich's Classic, we stopped at Zeiner Pianos to see what they had. And of course, right on their floor was a Schimmel Konzert 170 Belle Epoque. Beautiful case, sparking sound, but definitely out of even our new and improved budget. Walking out or Zeiners, I recalled seeing another Schimmel Konzert on PianoMart. We headed home to look up this new option, and did something very radical for us.

Once we arrived home, I brought up the ad in PianoMart and called the current owner. The Schimmel Konzert 189T was still available, and we could make arrangements to see it. This would seem fairly simple, except it was in upstate New York, about 250 miles from our home! Without too much hesitation, we committed to go look at the piano the next day, packed a bag, grabbed the dog, and hit the road.

The next day, we arrived at the Schimmels home. Kim sat down to play it, and within a MINUTE said, "We'll take it!" The piano had exquisite tone, was in perfect condition, and a price we could not refuse. The deal was done and we headed home.

Please understand, we are not usually inclined to make snap decisions, particularly when significant funds are involved. But this was different. We knew the Schimmel produced the kind of sound we have come to appreciate, was a quality instrument that will last beyond our lifetimes, and it would be difficult for us to find a better instrument for the price we paid. We were both exhilarated, and yet a bit sad for the owner, since he was selling after only having the piano for five years because of frustration with his learning curve as a returning student.

Long story, now even longer, the Schimmel Konzert 189T now holds a prime place in our family room, displacing the TV and home theater to the room formerly occupied by the Yamaha. The Yamaha, still a wonderful instrument, now also occupies prime space in our son's home. It was certainly a challenge to coordinate the moves, but everything gratefully went well.

I will be a long time PW reader, if for no other reason than to hear about the searches and purchases of others like us. The life changing experience? I am only a few years from retirement, and would like to keep busy in those years following. These amazing instruments fascinate me at many levels: musical, technical, mechanical, artistic. It is not for sure, but I would not be surprised if I try my hand at learning tuning (on something other than the Schimmel!), or even rebuilding an older, smaller grand in my workshop. I want to thank PW for a great education through this process, Rich Galassini for his patience and generosity with his time, John Zeiner for helping us reach the tipping point, and especially Tony F. for taking such good care of "our" Schimmel before we discovered it.

In coming days, I will try to add some pictures. It has been an interesting ride!

TC Johnson
Schimmel Konzert 189T

M
M
I see the ad is still on piano mart. It is beautiful! What a great deal you got! Congratulations!!

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Sounds very exciting. Congratulations.

On a side note, for such a beautiful object, I always found it strange that the name "Schimmel" would be applied to it. That is the German word for mould! wink

T
T
Congrats!

I fell in love with a Schimmel on my recent journey to buy a piano....and if
I end up going back for a longer piano in the future--Schimmel is already on my short list!

I wish you many happy musical years with your piano!

Estonia 168 Bubinga Polish, Yamaha CP300 Stage Piano, Kawai Console
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
On a side note, for such a beautiful object, I always found it strange that the name "Schimmel" would be applied to it. That is the German word for mould! wink

No,no -it also means "white stallion"

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 04/14/11 03:52 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
"lovingly owned pianos they are holding for their next owners"

Well, you could become a writer in your retirement. Or a piano salesperson!!!

smirk

I actually love the phrase.

Enjoy your new piano. Yes, we love piano buying stories and we love pictures. Hope you upload some soon.

LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
The next day, we arrived at the Schimmels home. Kim sat down to play it, and within a MINUTE said, "We'll take it!" The piano had exquisite tone, was in perfect condition, and a price we could not refuse. The deal was done and we headed home.

Once you know what you are looking for - it is just the matter of finding it. Congratulations on your new piano!

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Congratulations. Schimmel are wonderful pianos.

Dan

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Norbert

Norbert thumb

That's an antiquated meaning. In modern German, "mould" or "mildew" would be the meaning that springs to mind.

In this case though, I agree, the old meaning is far preferable!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What a wonderful story and what a wonderful piano! - Congrats to you and I can't wait to see the pics! thumb
- Steve

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
C
C
Congratulations! Loved reading the story - thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Playing a rebuilt and refinished 1905 Chickering 6'6" and loving it.
New addition to the family... Roland HP508.

Bachelor's - Music/piano pedagogy emphasis
Master's - Education
D
D
Congratulations! I love Schimmels - you are very lucky to have gotten such a great deal on one.

Debra

Yamaha C3
M
M
Very exciting! I'm glad you found such a wonderful instrument. Looking forward to pictures.

Mike

If you're bored, try my blog (mostly faith & family): http://mikeheel.wordpress.com.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new piano.
I hope it will bring you the joy mine does...
Here at pianoworld we always want to see it too smile

Pictures please !! wink

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition
R
R
Originally Posted by ando

Norbert thumb

That's an antiquated meaning. In modern German, "mould" or "mildew" would be the meaning that springs to mind.

Well, same in Dutch, "mold". Konzert Patrick, have you bought your piano because of the name? grin

[Linked Image]
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Schimmels are really amazing pianos to play. Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy it greatly.

Looking forward to those pics.

Best of luck,
Rotom

T
T
Schimmels Bach... I mean rock! Congrads.

Charles Walter Model W (190)

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Norbert thumb

As a German mother-tongue speaker, I disagree. If I see a white or speckled-white horse, I most certainly call it a "Schimmel", not a "weißes Pferd" or something such.

And I don't think my German is antiquated. wink

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
LinkedIn profile
1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RedKat

Norbert thumb

Well, same in Dutch, "mold". Konzert Patrick, have you bought your piano because of the name? grin

I bought my Schimmel because of it's beautiful majestic tone, regardless the brand name. The name is just their family name.... smile I am used to seeing it on pianos since I was a kid. The translation is funny it's true.... O well wink

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark R.

Norbert thumb

As a German mother-tongue speaker, I disagree. If I see a white or speckled-white horse, I most certainly call it a "Schimmel", not a "weißes Pferd" or something such.

And I don't think my German is antiquated. wink

Yes, it's still an old fashioned word (probably depends how old you are). You aren't the only German speaker around here. That might be your response if you see an old fashioned looking white horse, but if somebody says the word Schimmel without a picture of a horse, the first thing that pops onto your mind will be mould. Granted, the word does have the horse meaning too.

Besides, don't you realise that I only mentioned the mould as a joke? Stop taking it seriously... crazy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Editing Solo Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 04/18/21 07:42 PM
Borgato speaks about piano craft
by VladK - 04/18/21 07:14 PM
Modernised classics.
by treefrog - 04/18/21 06:39 PM
Brahms Hungarian Dance #5
by Works1 - 04/18/21 05:57 PM
Recommendations on interesting YouTube lectures?
by ZigZagStory - 04/18/21 05:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,382
Posts3,083,924
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission