2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Doogs Offline OP
OP Offline
D
There is probably not one answer to this question. On some album photos you can see the Steinway logo (Carnegie Hall). But I have been listening to the Koln Concert (my favorite, from the 1970s) forever and ever, thinking it was Steinway, and it's only since I've been piano searching and listening to the different piano signature tones and I have realized that of course it is not! How could I ever have thought that? The Koln is likely a Bosendorfer or similar European piano, which would make sense since it is a German concert hall.

Anybody know which one was used for this and other performances? It's fun trying to figure it out, it really sharpens your listening skills.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Steinway. All the time.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Doogs :

Is there any reason that the Koln Concert might not have been performed on a Hamburg Steinway?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Whatever it is, it has been Stanwoodized with a Precision Touch Design.

Fazioli 228.
D
Doogs Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally posted by BruceD:
Doogs :

Is there any reason that the Koln Concert might not have been performed on a Hamburg Steinway?

Regards,
No reason. However, I had the opportunity to play part of the transcribed concert on both a Hamburg Steinway and a Bosendorfer (thanks, Cunningham Piano). I don't sound much like Jarrett, but mine certainly sounded much more like his performance on the Bosendorfer!

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I have not checked recently, but I seem to remember he is listed on the Steinway "artist" link...

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Doogs :

Don't forget, as well, that many recordings are highly engineered, and while doing so may not affect the characteristic tone of a piano, comparing the sound of a piano on an engineered recording to one played live - to say nothing of differences in prep and voicing - might not be a solid comparison.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I don't know what piano it was, but I remember reading somewhere (over in the nonclassical forum?) that Jarrett was unhappy with the sound of one section of this particular piano, which he studiously avoided during the Koln concert improvs. I tried to find that post to see if it was more detailed but couldn't, but I did find a review on the Barnes & Noble website that said that Jarrett "hated" that piano.

But it's sublime music in any event. smile

B
BDB Offline
B
He brought a Steinway that he had selected from Steinway's basement for a show at the Opera House in San Francisco a few years back. Midway through the show, he stopped and complained about the piano. The producer of the show let him know that that was unacceptable behavior. Since then, he has not been as picky about the piano, although it is still a Steinway. But he is still a difficult person.

Semipro Tech
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
He had a Hamburg Steinway with a Stanwood action a few years back. Of recent, I think he is using Faziolis when possible.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
I stumbled across a review over on Amazon that mentioned this about that concert piano... which may or may not be true:

"The history behind this famous recording is now legendary. Jarrett hadn't slept for 24 hours prior to the concert. The wrong Piano was brought along for the event and couldn't be changed. Jarrett was kept waiting in an Italian Restaurant prior to the concert and had to bolt his food down to be back the auditorium in time.

The recording very nearly never took place, but in the end Eicher and Jarrett decided to make a documentary recording because they had already paid for the recording facilities."

He's definitely listed as a Steinway artist:
http://www.steinway.com/steinway/artist_roster/roster.php?artistSection=main&artistListing=j

Howard

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Thios case slearly shows how stupid it is to clang to a certain brand.

A piano that has a good, normally weighed action, is in tune and has a sound that is acceptable to the majority should do for every pianist.

Only if the response is uneven, and the keys feel abnormally heavy or light and sloppy, or for some other reason is difficult to play on, you should have the right to complain or even refuse to play. A dark or bright sound per se should not be a major obstacle. Nor should the name on the fallboard

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Jan-Erik:
Thios case slearly shows how stupid it is to clang to a certain brand.

If a pianist is a registered "Steinway Artist" s/he may be obliged to stick to Steinway where Steinways are available, which is almost everywhere. Artist "fidelity" to the brand may well be in the contractual agreements.

Who was the (American?) pianist - I've ready the story a number of times - who, although a Steinway artist, chose not to perform at a certain venue on a Steinway, and Steinway made his professional life very difficult for him, subsequently?

Who remembers the details? Who knows if the story is true, although it certainly was reputed to be factual.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
BDB Offline
B
Anyone who registers as a Steinway Artist should want to perform on a Steinway whenever Steinways are available. Anyone who does otherwise is a fraud.

Semipro Tech
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I see - the Steinway gang is really sort of mafia.

I have nothing against Steinway & Sons's pianos -those which I have experienced as listener have been top class. And in a shop I once tried the action feel of oen smaller grand and is was perfect IMO, although it had probably not been Stanwoodized.

P
P
Koln Concert is a Bosendorfer and he disliked the high register of that particular one.
He had selected an Imperial Grand but because of a mismatch a baby grand in poor conditions was put on stage.
Because of this, his fatigue after driving all day and some heavy food he had, him and Eicher decided to cancel the recording.
Until last minute, since it was already paid for, they decided to keep as a record.

I read it in his bio but also found it here:
http://www.boesendorfer.com/en/current-news.html?page=5408

N.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
By the way, in the nearly three years that this thread lay dormant there have been other threads discussing Jarrett's piano choices.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission