2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1657696 04/10/11 01:28 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I'm a solo pianist who has never used an agent before, and I was wondering how that worked and if it was a good avenue to pursue.

Any experience, good or bad, with agents? Is there a fee just get signed up with them, or do they only get paid if you work?

Anything specific to look for, or watch out for?

Thanks!

Jennifer McCoy Blaske
Pianist and Author
www.PianoJenny.com
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
5 agents over 20 years. Total gigs gotten = 0.

Dave Frank

S
S
Yes,
I have used an agent a # of times. They're worth it if they can get you gigs that you wouldn't normally be able to get yourself. They're also worthwhile if you don't have the time, skill, patience, or expertise to book yourself. Booking, as I'm sure you know, requires a lot of work. In many situations I don't mind having someone take care of a lot of the paperwork and phone calls and such. It allows more time to work on what you do best....music smile

There are a # of different pay structures that agents work with but you should not have to pay a fee in advance to work with an agent.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
If you live in a large city and want to do lots of private function work, having an agent - or 2, or 3 - will make your life a lot easier. Contrary to popular belief, a couple of them do earn their percentage.

(Though I have come across a few that will find loopholes and are able to pocket up to 50% out of the big money gigs .....but as long as the musicians feel that they are being paid fairly.......)

However, I've found that in more rural and suburban areas, agents tend to be really stingy with pay and amenities.

The major downside to working with agents is that it takes a while for them to actually start calling you for gigs on a steady basis. In many cases, they already have a steady roster of great pianists and so when one leaves the fold, the next one in line takes their place.

But once you're in good with someone - if you're willing to either wait or get good at playing the political game - the calls do come in steady.

But like I said, this is mostly concerning private function stuff.......

I've always been wary of agents who promise that they can get you that coveted gig at the fanciest restaurant in town, blah,blah,blah etc......forget about it...

Piano instruction and performance

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission