Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
152 registered members (Agent88, ahinton, AlphaBravoCharlie, ajames, AssociateX, anotherscott, Balezin Dmitry, 33 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fundamentals of Technique #1654500
04/04/11 04:44 PM
04/04/11 04:44 PM
M
MMIConducting77 Offline OP
MMIConducting77  Offline OP
M

I am new to this forum, But I would like to get your opinion of the fundamentals of building technique. I have "Hanon The Virtuoso Pianist". I was wandering If I should study the following separate from hanon (with or without them being in repertoire;e.g. like a Chopin Etude), to just maintain a familiarity with the techniques, and they are: Scales, Arpeggios, Trills, Tremolos, Legato Thirds, Sustained Octaves, and Repeated Notes. I do realize that these are taken from Hanon's Book, but is there a need to do every single exercise in the book or just practice the ones that are essential (the one's I listed above) for the sake of familiarity in hand coordination when you do arrive at such a thing in repertoire?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: MMIConducting77] #1654544
04/04/11 06:10 PM
04/04/11 06:10 PM
Seattle, Washington
Josh_P Offline
Josh_P  Offline

Seattle, Washington
Well speaking evily, you are supposed to be able to do the entire Hannon in one hour. It hurts!!! I did it with my old russian teacher. One lesson of heck!!!

But seriously, hanon, is kindof bad for you if you have the wrong technique, and I got really bad tendonitis for a while.

On other note, just practice scales, 4 note chords, arpeggios, and scale chords, and you will proabably have a pretty good technique. For octaves, they are kindof boring, so learn the first of the papillons by schumann in every key. Not too hard. It took me about a month. wink Total lie. Seriously though, just learn the technique for the octaves then play papillons no.1 every other day or something. That will help you maintain you technique among other things. ANd when you actually start learning it, you can be like whbamm and your teacher or whoever will be like oh my lord you are the best.

Just saying...

Working On:
Beethoven-32 Variations in C minor
Beethoven- Opus 109
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: Josh_P] #1654620
04/04/11 07:51 PM
04/04/11 07:51 PM
rocket88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
rocket88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Josh_P

But seriously, hanon, is kindof bad for you if you have the wrong technique...

Just about anything you play is bad for you if you have the wrong technique.

Take Hanon real real slow, with a quiet and relaxed hand. Move each finger independently of the others. And forget about speed. It is for training the mind/body to move each finger independently, w/o unwanted jerkiness from other fingers. Nobody goes slow enough...Been teaching it for decades, everyone thinks it is a race, it is not.

Piano teacher.
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: MMIConducting77] #1654669
04/04/11 09:07 PM
04/04/11 09:07 PM
Seattle, Washington
Josh_P Offline
Josh_P  Offline

Seattle, Washington
Oh my lord. Finger individualization!!! That is one of the worst things you can do for your hands. Your hand and arm work as a unit. And what about the 4th and 5th. They share a tendon or ligament. If you individualize them enough, the ligament will tear. Oh the horror!!!

Working On:
Beethoven-32 Variations in C minor
Beethoven- Opus 109
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: MMIConducting77] #1654682
04/04/11 09:25 PM
04/04/11 09:25 PM
CA
M
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Minniemay  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

CA
Technique is not learned by playing an exercise. It can be learned by playing an exercise correctly. Find a teacher who specializes in technique.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: MMIConducting77] #1654702
04/04/11 09:52 PM
04/04/11 09:52 PM
M
M

So should I practice scales, arpeggios, trills, tremolos, legato thirds, repeated notes, and sustained octaves for precision (whether of not in repertoire) apart from Hanon.

Last edited by MMIConducting77; 04/04/11 10:02 PM.
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: MMIConducting77] #1654740
04/04/11 11:10 PM
04/04/11 11:10 PM
Massachusetts
danshure Offline
danshure  Offline

Massachusetts
Hi MMI

I think what people are saying, and what I would say is, don't worry about WHAT to study. worry about HOW either by;

1. Taking a lesson or two with a teacher who can give you direct, personal feedback.

2. Take the economical route and post either on the public forum or private message a video of you playing a few things, maybe a few scales, anything you're working on, etc - and get some direct personal feedback.

There's no cookie-cutter answer to what you should practice - it's all very unique to you. I'd be happy to give you feedback via video. But I am a fan of focusing first on the essentials (or at least figuring out what they are). We can't tell you what they are unless we had some more information.

Go here ---> Piano Teaching Blog
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: MMIConducting77] #1655348
04/05/11 08:10 PM
04/05/11 08:10 PM
LA CA
Rob Mullins Offline
Rob Mullins  Offline

LA CA
Hi MMI,
Here is my answer to your question.
Building your technique at the piano is something you should do with a teacher. That will greatly reduce the possibility of you injuring yourself.
Basic elements you should practice are scales, arpeggios, five fingered exercises and sections of repertoire. I'm not fond of Hanon in my teaching studio and I've written several hundred exercises which are more useful IMO. I've been using many of these exercises now more than 20 years and many teachers and students come here now just to study technique.
By far the most important thing to have while practicing is patience....it takes time and can be tedious. Correct practice does yield great benefit over time though. Your muscles need enough repetition to memorize the movements and you'll need to be diligent as well. Take breaks when you feel pain. Your teacher will assess what can be done with your size hand, finger length and condition. Good luck!

Rob Mullins
www.planetmullins.com
Recording Artist and Jazz Piano Instructor
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: Rob Mullins] #1655888
04/06/11 04:39 PM
04/06/11 04:39 PM
J
Jose Hidalgo Offline
Jose Hidalgo  Offline
J

Originally Posted by Rob Mullins

Basic elements you should practice are scales, arpeggios, five fingered exercises and sections of repertoire. ....

I've written several hundred exercises which are more useful IMO.

Do you have those exercises in digital format ?, PDFs ?

If your exercises are less boring and more effective than Hanon you may do a lot of money ! smile

I am always looking for a nice entertained way of practicing technique

Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: MMIConducting77] #1656474
04/07/11 04:43 PM
04/07/11 04:43 PM
M
M

First off, I did study under a teacher for eleven years but I had to stop taking lessons due to financial reasons. Now I just want to know if I should continue doing scales, arpeggios, trills, and etcetera, just to keep up with them and whether I should just continue with them apart from Hanon? That's all I want to know.

Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: Minniemay] #1656521
04/07/11 06:24 PM
04/07/11 06:24 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by Minniemay
Technique is not learned by playing an exercise. It can be learned by playing an exercise correctly. Find a teacher who specializes in technique.

I like this idea, but I'm not sure how I (as an almost complete numpty) could identify a teacher who specializes in technique.

I've been trying to change my signature quote for weeks.

Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: MMIConducting77] #1656571
04/07/11 08:48 PM
04/07/11 08:48 PM
CA
M
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Minniemay  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

CA
You ask around. Who has students are known for great technique?

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: malkin] #1656577
04/07/11 09:13 PM
04/07/11 09:13 PM
rocket88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
rocket88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by malkin

I like this idea, but I'm not sure how I (as an almost complete numpty) could identify a teacher who specializes in technique.

Ask them.

Ask them how they would define technique. Then ask them how one acquires it, and how they were taught it, and how they developed and continue to maintain their personal technique. Then ask them how they teach technique, and specifically what resources they use.

This is no different than asking a contractor to explain how they would remodel your kitchen or paint your house...these are valid questions.

Keep in mind that many teachers do not focus upon, or even teach, technique.

The overwhelming majority of students that I have taught over the years who transferred from other teachers had poor technique, never heard the "T" word, and never were taught it.

(This is according to them, they may very well have been taught it, but it went in one ear and out the other...I know that what I teach often takes that path with some students). laugh

At the most, their teachers depended upon their technique to develop by itself by playing repertoire.

Piano teacher.
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: Minniemay] #1656659
04/08/11 01:14 AM
04/08/11 01:14 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by Minniemay
You ask around. Who has students are known for great technique?
Who's going to be even remotely qualified to answer that question?

Also, you do realize there are different schools of thought on piano technique. I was trained one way in college. Later, when I played at a master class, the teacher tried to change my technique on the spot. It didn't go well.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: rocket88] #1656662
04/08/11 01:18 AM
04/08/11 01:18 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by rocket88
The overwhelming majority of students that I have taught over the years who transferred from other teachers had poor technique, never heard the "T" word, and never were taught it.
I have to agree with you on that one. However, I've also had transfer students who are so entrenched in one technique, that it was virtually impossible to fix.

My philosophy has become "don't fix what ain't broken."

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: rocket88] #1656865
04/08/11 12:33 PM
04/08/11 12:33 PM
C
calis Offline
calis  Offline
C

Take Hanon real real slow, with a quiet and relaxed hand. Move each finger independently of the others. And forget about speed. It is for training the mind/body to move each finger independently, w/o unwanted jerkiness from other fingers. Nobody goes slow enough...Been teaching it for decades, everyone thinks it is a race, it is not.

In general, what would you say is a reasonable rate to progress through Hanon? I understand that individual progress is going to vary and that taking it slow and relaxed and progressing at your own pace is the most important thing. With that said, would you say that it is reasonable to increase your speed by 1 bpm per week? Or is that too slow/fast?

Thank you.

Justin

Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: calis] #1656910
04/08/11 02:19 PM
04/08/11 02:19 PM
rocket88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
rocket88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by calis

In general, what would you say is a reasonable rate to progress through Hanon? I understand that individual progress is going to vary and that taking it slow and relaxed and progressing at your own pace is the most important thing. With that said, would you say that it is reasonable to increase your speed by 1 bpm per week? Or is that too slow/fast?

Thank you.

Justin

I never look at speed as the primary benchmark for improvement with Hanon, or with many but not all other technique builders.. My fierce Russian piano teacher always used it, and other technique books, as first and foremost a means to achieving a "quiet hand" i.e. minimal tension, and finger independence.

It is unfortunate that the Hanon books have a BPM indication, (and a high one at that, especially for beginners), so people focus upon increasing speed as an indication of progress rather than the development of a hand that can play a note with, for example, any finger without the rest of the hand tensing.

Last edited by rocket88; 04/08/11 05:34 PM.

Piano teacher.
Re: Fundamentals of Technique [Re: MMIConducting77] #1657117
04/09/11 12:52 AM
04/09/11 12:52 AM
LA CA
Rob Mullins Offline
Rob Mullins  Offline

LA CA
Hello thread,
I'm happy to see this thread continuing and being advanced by the bright minds of this fabulous forum.
In response to the person asking about my methods and exercises let me say that I do have several hundred pages of exercises that I have written for my students but I have regretfully not been able to make them available to the world because of the widespread theft of my material throughout my careers as a teacher and recording artist. At this point I also have little time to devote to finding a solution to preventing theft of my material as I am really busy (and thankful) to have a fully booked teaching studio and touring schedule at this time. I will be continuing to look for ways to make my educational material more available in the future and I hope to have the time to explain about how to use the material properly so as to avoid the scourge of the web that has become known as "web 2.0."

Rob Mullins
www.planetmullins.com
Recording Artist and Jazz Piano Instructor

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New old guy here; just starting piano journey at 58!
by PianoWVBob. 11/15/18 03:38 PM
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,344
Posts2,761,422
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission