2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1653902 04/03/11 06:34 PM
T
TylerNB Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Though some may think that Julliard's standards are a little ridiculous, I hope I am lucky enough to go there, but if I am not able to go there, and this is more than likely because only the best of the best get in, then I do have a question. I was wondering that a non-student could still have access to their library of musical collections and their hall of steinway pianos?

Currently Working On:
Chopin Waltz in B Minor (Finished)
Rondo Alla Turca - Mozart (Finished)
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?
Certainly more Chopin(Valses and Mazurkas, maybe even a Prelude)
And yet another Bach piece
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about Juilliard, except for having been in chamber rehearsals there from time to time.

Well, I didn't know they had a "hall of Steinway pianos," but I would assume you'd have to be a student there to access them.

As for the library collections, many are quite rare and valuable (including some newsworthy additions in just the last few years). It would seem unfair not to allow dedicated musicians and scholars access to them.

T
TylerNB Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yes, that is what I was wondering. I don't think they actually have a hall of steinway pianos, but they certainly have a collection of around two hundred odd something. I heard that they have very rare music documentaries in their though. I was just wondering because one day I would certainly love the check them out if I can.

Currently Working On:
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
If they do have a "hall of Steinway pianos", they would be probably be out-of-tune and massively under-regulated.

If you're in NY, the public music library (performing arts) is supposed to be top-notch. Haven't been there, but having been to the Juilliard library once or twice, I imagine the public library can only be better.

T
TylerNB Offline OP
OP Offline
T
If it is Julliard, I am sure at least a hundred of them are in tune if not all of them. If that is a high end college, then I am sure students go to public halls to practice on these Steinway's and it would only make sense to keep them in tune.

Currently Working On:
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?
J
J
Just my $0.02,
When I went there for a few lessons it was difficult to just get past the security guards unless you are a student with an ID card. Someone in the building has to tell them to let you in (same at MSM). I would highly doubt they would give non-Juilliard people access to their pianos or their library collections. Thats some pricey stuff they've got in there.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I'll bet with the right credentials or even just a supportive letter from a respected musician, you could get access to the library materials. You may have to wear gloves to page through them, though. And you'd better have a convincing reason to want to see them...a narrower focus than "just because they're awesome." smile

I am making an assumption (perhaps naive) that libraries are proud of the materials entrusted to them and want to see them (respectfully) used. That's a basic tenet of the concept of a library. I remember as a young student thumbing through Charles Ives' manuscripts at Yale University. No problem, but I can no longer remember how I got access.

Last edited by RealPlayer; 04/03/11 07:09 PM. Reason: More thoughts
Originally Posted by TylerNB
Though some may think that Julliard's standards are a little ridiculous, I hope I am lucky enough to go there, but if I am not able to go there, and this is more than likely because only the best of the best get in, then I do have a question. I was wondering that a non-student could still have access to their library of musical collections and their hall of steinway pianos?

A friend of mine is a student there. I'll ask him next time I see him, or whenever he pops up on Facebook chat.

Conservatory of Music @ Brooklyn College
Piano Performance, Class of 2014
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
If it is Julliard, I am sure at least a hundred of them are in tune if not all of them. If that is a high end college, then I am sure students go to public halls to practice on these Steinway's and it would only make sense to keep them in tune.

yeah... you'd be surprised. i'm not a student there, only taking some lowly evening division classes, but many of the pianos in the rooms are grossly underregulated. Tuning-wise they're actually not terrible, better than you'd expect from pianos that get played like 10 hours a day.

I didn't go to a music school, but the university I went to, also had mostly steinways in their practice rooms anyway. They're also somewhat out-of-tune and grossly underregulated. The grad school I went to, again a non-music school, had all Steinways. They don't get played much so regulation-wise they're actually not bad.

I imagine Steinways are pretty much par for most colleges. But it's not like they're the be-all and end-alls anyway.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There's a Juilliard Store that sells scores, and other gifty things.

Hey, a Juilliard T-shirt--just the thing to wear to auditions at other conservatories.

http://www.thejuilliardstore.com/

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
T
TylerNB Offline OP
OP Offline
T
That is Funny WhoDwaldi. It really is. Of course I have a good reason why I would want to view the scores and the other dedicated music works of the Juliard library. I want to learn more than ever and be able to study this stuff up close. And if they have a piano in the library that I can have access to, you can bet your socks that I will be on it.

Currently Working On:
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Juilliard, isn't an all Steinway school any longer, by the way.

Last edited by stores; 04/03/11 08:50 PM.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

N
NWL Offline
N
The practice pianos are indeed Steinways, and they are indeed worn out. Juilliard has a staff of dedicated technicians who try to keep up with the needs of the instruments, which are rebuilt every so many years. During peak hours, it can be difficult to get a room. Non-students are not permitted to practice at the school. The library does have a collection of rare manuscripts, which are on rotating display in a glass case. The collection can actually be accessed online at www.juilliardmanuscriptcollection.org. New York Public Library for the Performing Arts is just across the street and is open to the general public.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
From the Juilliard website, regarding access to their library:

"Materials circulate only to current Juilliard School students and faculty members. Outside users may make appointments to view materials during business hours (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) that are unique to Juilliard's collection."

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I want to learn more than ever and be able to study this stuff up close. And if they have a piano in the library that I can have access to, you can bet your socks that I will be on it.

That is an issue with music libraries: why, oh why are there no keyboards to play the scores? And you can't always take materials to a practice room. I read somewhere that the Library of Congress has keyboards and headphones for such study.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
N
N
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
I want to learn more than ever and be able to study this stuff up close. And if they have a piano in the library that I can have access to, you can bet your socks that I will be on it.

That is an issue with music libraries: why, oh why are there no keyboards to play the scores?

I believe that The New York Public Performing Arts Library Lingyis cited above has an electronic keyboard in one of the reading rooms for visitors to use to play scores. It is a wonderful library, and is basically located across the street from Juilliard.

Last edited by nycplayer; 04/03/11 11:44 PM.
N
N
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
As for the library collections, many are quite rare and valuable (including some newsworthy additions in just the last few years). It would seem unfair not to allow dedicated musicians and scholars access to them.

"The Juilliard Manuscript Collection" is available for viewing via the web:

http://www.juilliard.edu/library/manuscripts.php

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

From an article in the Globe and Mail:

With the purchase of the Fazioli – and even if Juilliard buys the Yamaha as well – Juilliard remains an all-Steinway school, because by that definition, 90 per cent of all instruments owned by the institution must be designed by Steinway. Juilliard owns about 260 Steinways.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sophial
Originally Posted by stores

From an article in the Globe and Mail:

With the purchase of the Fazioli – and even if Juilliard buys the Yamaha as well – Juilliard remains an all-Steinway school, because by that definition, 90 per cent of all instruments owned by the institution must be designed by Steinway. Juilliard owns about 260 Steinways.

Apparently, ALL doesn't mean ALL to some. Last I checked 90% and ALL do not equate.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

C
C
I would guess Juilliard's practice rooms are off-limits to strangers.

But fortunately we all have access to Juilliard's manuscript collection here.

And right across the street is the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts which has an extensive collection of scores and books about music.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission