2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
One quick question. I found that some old pianos, including the one which I am taking care of for my pianist friend have a clicking noise once you release the key. It gets a bit annoying when you play quick trills. My friend's piano has a wonderful action but this noise irritates him a bit especially near the mid registrar. Someone says it is to do with the firm leather on the rollers. Can I just if there is a cure or mitigation for that?

D
D
Is the piano a grand or upright? If its an upright, is it a direct or indirect action?

Casdorph Piano Service
Morgantown, WV
www.casdorphpiano.com
All pianos are bald ones.
J
OP Offline
J
It is a grand piano.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
The most likely cause, especially at this time of year, is wippen flange screws which need to be tightened. That would be a routine service on any type action. It should be done first. It would only take about 10 minutes. It should be done before anything else is tried. It is possible that it is only a contributing factor to the clatter that is heard but even in that case, it would mitigate the problem.

The knuckles (also called rollers) of a grand action rarely make significant noise unless they have been contaminated with moisture such as from an inappropriately applied liquid or accidental spillage. They can become severely flattened but can be remedied by a bolstering technique or replaced (expensive) and there will be fairly extensive regulation needed after either.

Hammer flange screws should also be routinely and frequently tightened. They can make a similar noise. If the pinning is too loose in either the hammer or wippen flanges, it will also cause a clatter but either of these is less likely. It would be more likely that loose pinning would only be a problem among a few individual keys than all or most of them.

More information about the brand, model and age of your piano would be helpful in anyone's speculation from here about what the problem may be. In any case, that is all it could be is speculation for none of us can see or hear the problem. We're glad to offer any help or advice we can, however. My guess is that the problem could be mostly if not entirely resolved with a simple flange tightening and correction of the hammer line (grand) or lost motion adjustment (vertical).

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Since it's happening when the key is released, it's possible that the hammer cushion rail or hammer rest rail (if this piano has one) needs snugging up.

Last edited by daniokeeper; 04/02/11 11:02 AM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by daniokeeper
Since it's happening when the key is released, it's possible that the hammer cushion rail or hammer rest rail (if this piano has one) needs snugging up.

Yep. That's the first thing I'd check, as it is a frequent offender.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Loren D
Originally Posted by daniokeeper

Yep. That's the first thing I'd check, as it is a frequent offender.

The second thing I'd check would be the key up-stop rail. I ran into a similar problem last week on a vertical with a clicking noise. The up-stop rail needed snugging up.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
The up-stop rail can also be a source of buzzing if the locking nuts on top are loose. That metal to wood buzz is just awful.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jack regulating button felt has hardened-up. You can "voice" them with needles to soften them up. Or any of what the others have said.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
The noise I've experienced when the key is released comes from three places, spread out over a fraction of a second:
- repetition lever button (hardening of old felt like accordeur says)
- jack regulating button (as accordeur says)
- but the loudest noise comes from the final 'shock' of the hammer hitting its rest position. This sound comes from the energy being transferred from the falling hammer, through:
1. The knuckle
2. (down through the jack)
3. (across the wippen)
4. Through the wippen cushion
5. (to the capstan screw)
6. (to the key)
7. To the back rail cloth and
8. (the balance rail)

The numbers without the parentheses above are the places where there is felt or other soft material meant to soften the 'shock'.

Actions with newer or thicker felt (or flexible buckskin in the case of the knuckle) in those areas (knuckle, wippen cushion, back rail cloth) are most quiet.

Last edited by charleslang; 04/02/11 01:58 PM.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
When was your friend's "old piano" last serviced? I mean a real service, not a one hour tuning? Pianos need care and attention to maintain their playability. It sounds like your friend's piano needs the "one in 10 year" service.

JG
M
M
Again, who manufactured this grand piano? If it is a Kimball product,specificly a La Petite or similar, the jack adjustment screw bears on a very small piece of some kind of rubber-like material that gets hard with age and will click like mad. Needs to relaced with leather or felt.

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Senior, Emeritus
Marshall University
Huntington, WV
D
D
I know a few years have passed since this original post, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth! I must agree with mupianotech (Paul) about this possibly being a Kimball La Petite. In my 40+ years of piano service I have come across these all too often. The only solution I have found is to replace the neoprene rubber with a woven felt, such as flange bushing cloth. The old neoprene can rather easily be removed and replaced. Use a very minimal amount of glue so that it does not weep into the jack flange bushings or birds eyes.

The first time I came across this issue was in a rather new La Petite grand that was still under Kimball warranty! They paid me to do the job, though I don't remember how much I charged....probably not enough! Why they continued to use the same defective parts, I'll never understand!

Dennis Davison PTT
Piano Tech for many professional pianists, colleges, universities, and churches in Polk County Florida.
When you enjoy what you are doing, you'll never have to work a day in your life!

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission