2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
29 members (Gretel, Alan B, bsntn99, David B, Issadore, DSC, ando, 10 invisible), 411 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Kawai MP10 is Here!
Deffie #1654168 04/04/11 09:10 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
Had I progressed to playing chords,
I would be 'domisol' shocked
Deffie #1654190 04/04/11 09:48 AM
D
Deffie Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Since it was hit right along the edge the metal was pushed down and outwards, so if you were to run your hand along the back you'd possibly be cut by it now.

If Kraft Music confirms that it was a pre-fix MP10 then I'll likely ask for a replacement since it should fix the key spacing issue at the same time. I think with all the discussion I'm leaning more towards wanting to make sure I get one I'm fully satisfied with, but as always we'll see.

Aaron

Playing since April 2010.
Kawai MP10
Deffie #1654194 04/04/11 09:52 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'd either send it back, or ask Kraft to give me the scratch-n-dent price plus something else for my grief. Flaws like that make it harder to resell.

It's weird, our >$2k RD-700NX shipped in a flimsier box than what a bag of oatmeal from the grocery store comes in. The box was kicked in but the NX was surprisingly unscathed.

Deffie #1654211 04/04/11 10:21 AM
D
Deffie Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Yeah, I actually remembered your piano when I saw the box and was hoping it'd be the same situation.

Will of course update this when I hear back from Kraft.

Aaron

Kawai MP10
dewster #1654221 04/04/11 10:37 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dewster
I'd either send it back, or ask Kraft to give me the scratch-n-dent price plus something else for my grief. Flaws like that make it harder to resell.

It's weird, our >$2k RD-700NX shipped in a flimsier box than what a bag of oatmeal from the grocery store comes in. The box was kicked in but the NX was surprisingly unscathed.

I was actually amazed at how good the packaging is that Roland has put together for the HP-307. This was some seriously artistic puzzle inspired and very well (double and triple) insulated boxes within boxes with lots of shock and dent absorbers. It probably broke about 20 different German green dot packaging laws.

The boxes were in turn mounted on a full-sized shipping pallet and completely sealed with thick, waterproof shipping plastic by thomann.de. It took us forever to get the thing unpacked and two neighbors to get the heavy boxes into the house.

We were warned before shipment, with big flourescent warning signs on the packages and with a warning message on the bill of lading to first thoroughly inspect the shipment for any sign of mishandling or damage and to refuse to sign off if we were not completely satisfied that there was no evidence of anything but pristine handling.

For cabinet pianos such as the CA93 and HP-307, it is not hard to understand why in a country with the distances of the US, that manufacturers often choose to only sell them through local dealers and not by mail order. Having to use common carriers that arrive at your house with a full-size semi-trailer truck and a pallet crane is quite a different business than just sending something UPS or FedEx.

Deffie #1654258 04/04/11 11:42 AM
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I am a huge fan of Kawai products, but that packaging is woefully inadequate!!
Ask yourself this:
Would you accept a new car in that condition?
If you don't complain in the strongest possible manner, some other poor customer, will have a similar experience.

Rob
Deffie #1654264 04/04/11 11:54 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I remember my RD-700SX arrived from Germany in a box so badly damaged that there was a piece of the box torn off and I was able to see a whole octave of keys inside... Fortunately there was enough styrofoam and plastic to protect it from damage and dust. Unfortunately, the split button which should have been a button with a LED was just a normal button without LED and you couldn't know whether 'split' is active or not. Even *funnier* is that there was a service menu which contained "LED test functionality" and on each iteration it fires a LED and you press a confirmation that you can see the LED. It was obvious nobody had done that test procedure... Anyway, I've explained that to Roland Germany and they sent me a free LED button (although very dusty one) which I replaced myself.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/04/11 11:57 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Deffie #1654360 04/04/11 02:35 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Congrats Deffie on the purchase, that's a beautiful instrument, but man so sorry it's dinged. That's super frustrating. Hope it gets resolved. Keep us posted.

Kawai MP7SE w/ GFP-3
Deffie #1654371 04/04/11 02:53 PM
D
Deffie Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well, looks like I'm going to at least try exchanging it once, hopefully shipping will go better this time. Kraft Music has been great to deal with so far, will update when I get the new one.

Aaron

Kawai MP10
Deffie #1654426 04/04/11 04:11 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
That's good Deffie. At least they're taking care of the damaged board.

Kawai MP7SE w/ GFP-3
Deffie #1654450 04/04/11 04:37 PM
D
Deffie Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Yup, now to just cross my fingers and hope the next one isn't worse smile

Aaron

Kawai MP10
Deffie #1655346 04/05/11 09:08 PM
R
R
I wanted to add my 2 cents opinion to this forum about the Kawai MP10 and the Kawai products in general.
I just wanted to let you know that I am a big fan of the Kawai piano action and their digital pianos, however, I am very disappointed in the following:

1. Quality control of the products in general
2. Quality of the shipping materials
3. Poor marketing of the digital pianos and the actual availability to try test and try them out in the store...it is very hard to find a dealer that has them.

I have had the following Kawai digital pianos: Kawai MP9000, MP8 and I now own the Kawai MP6. I saw the damage done to your MP10.....to me that is completely unacceptable to receive it in that condition. Kawai has had many years to improve the quality of their shipping materials....each and every Kawai digital piano has had inadequate shipping material for such an exclusive piano....and after many years.....they have not learned their lesson. My MP8 was damaged in shipping and actually was not working when I opened the box and I went through hoops to get a circuit board to repair it. Thank God for Mark Wisner and Juan in the service department. Those guys are top notch and actually listen to the customers. I give that team high praise to help iron out all of the problems with these pianos due to poor quality control.

I was finally able to try out an MP6 and an MP10 side by side in Sam Ash in NY. After testing both extensively, I decided to go with the MP6. I really wanted an MP10 but I was not happy with the feel of the keyboard and the key travel. Perhaps it was just this particular MP10 I played. I kick myself for getting rid of my MP8...That action in my own opinion was better than the MP10.....curious to know your thoughts on that one.
Again, I bought the MP6 for the better key travel and variation of sounds. I wish the MP10 had utilized the same soundset. But, as with every Kawai I've purchased, quality control is lacking. The button to adjust the reverb when pressed sticks and gets stuck in the keyboard panel...right out of the box...Now I have to fix that and I've only owned the MP6 for a few days. Thank God for the service department.
Will they ever market these pianos properly...I'm sure you heard all about the issues with the MP10 and it sounds as if Deffie is a victim of that too...Kraft Music used to ship the heavy pianos via special freight...did you receive yours that way???
Curious to know everyone else's opinion and if they have experienced the same things I have.

radio686 #1655451 04/05/11 11:38 PM
C

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

C
Radio, I have had a Kawai MP6 for almost 3 months, and everything works as it should. I really like the key action, but there is one thing that is bothering me. It took a while before i noticed it, but now it is beginning to irritate me a bit. The timbre and the loudness can be pretty uneven from one key to another, and this is the case more or less over the whole keyboard. I have very little experience with DPs, so I dont know what is acceptable in general or for Kawais. With a modestly priced DP like the MP6 you cannot expect dynamics and velocity to be perfect, but my Korg Triton LE88 is definitely better in this respect. It would be interesting to hear if anybody else have experienced this on Kawais or other DPs.
cubop

Deffie #1655539 04/06/11 05:10 AM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
After having received my 5th , or 6th MP6 (I lost count); it finally seems to be 100% all-right. All the boxes that we're shipped we're damaged at the bottom. A very obvious weak spot in the design of the packaging. Things stick through the box very easy during transport. Kawai should (or perhaps already has) fix the packaging! It will be to their own benefit as well, because of much fewer returned units.

I had sticky buttons on the first unit, but the rest was OK. For the price, I really like the sturdy, compact and nice way in which the MP6 is build. Especially compared to competition like the RD300NX and such. I haven't had much time to play around with it yet, but the key-uneveness in driving the sound engine didn't really occur to me. If it's indeed reproducible for all units , I think it will be easy to fix in a firmware update.

I really like the board so far, but the three month period between ordering my first unit and finally having a unit that's completely to my liking should't be necessary and is a waste of time and money for all parties (dealer, Kawai and of course myself).

The MP6 is a great all-round instrument, not with the ultimate top notch sound that is available these days, but still a very usable set of sounds. The AP's , EP's, Organs and Pad/String sounds are really OK. The rest is either basic, quite unusable 80's GM stuff and IMHO should have been left out to free memory for the main sound set to enhance the AP and EP's. Basically that's what they did on the MP10, but unfortunately they left out the TW organs on that unit, which shouldn't be necessary. A little bit better Effect Programs wouldn't hurt either to enhance the sound further. Bu hey, it's not a 3k instrument, so it's still good value for money. I would buy it again if I had to choose in the same price range. Keybed is really good.

Kawai should just fix the issues that everyone has been talking about on many occasions. Packaging, widespread availability (in shops !) , a bit better quality control. We'll see...

cubop #1655552 04/06/11 06:06 AM
E
E
Originally Posted by cubop
Radio, I have had a Kawai MP6 for almost 3 months, and everything works as it should. I really like the key action, but there is one thing that is bothering me. It took a while before i noticed it, but now it is beginning to irritate me a bit. The timbre and the loudness can be pretty uneven from one key to another, and this is the case more or less over the whole keyboard.

Some people fixed this in the CA series by setting the piano voicing to Mellow2. I don't know if MP6 can be customized that way.

Deffie #1655558 04/06/11 06:41 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well...

I don't think it's a physical problem of the keyboard action. I can only tell from the CA series, but I would check the dynamic setting which you can set to "dynamic" and which is active by default. This one is just extreme in regard to dynamics, so that you can easily reach very low and very high volumes with only little difference in key pressing velocity. You can change this accordingly to your needs which results in a big difference.

Setting the piano voicing to Mellow2 does change the timbre to a very mellow piano sound but not the keyboard dynamics which might help a little bit.

EDIT: I was wrong: Voicing is the right place to change. If it's set to dynamic, this is waaay too "dynamic". Any other setting will help, preferrably to the mellow side. Setting keyboard touch to Heavy can also help. Just try some of these settings.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
mucci #1655583 04/06/11 07:53 AM
C

C
There are mellow 1 and 2 on the MP6, but I have it on normal. I already have the voicing to normal and touch to hard, but reducing dynamics from 10 to 6 really helped. I think the problem is solved. If I should not be completely satisfied, the EQ should do the job. Very impressive how much you can change things on the MP6, and it is pretty easy too.
cubop

Deffie #1655600 04/06/11 08:58 AM
D
Deffie Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have never played an original MP8, but to me the MP10 keybed is the best I've played on a digital piano.

Also, for my MP10 I don't think further packaging would have made any difference. Going off of the hole through the multiple layers of cardboard, it looks like a metal rod of some sort went straight into it with quite a bit of force. Further packaging might have reduced the hit it took but I'm pretty sure it still would've been scratched/dinged a bit regardless.

Aaron

Kawai MP10
Deffie #1657033 04/08/11 09:30 PM
D
Deffie Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well, looks like this begins my saga with trying to get a good MP10 instead of ending it.

New piano showed up today, box was in quite good condition and the piano appeared to have no issues. Unfortunately, I just sat down to play for a bit this evening and discovered that five of the black keys aren't working correctly.

If I push them down slowly or try to play softly they do not trigger at all. If I slowly push them down to what I would consider a normal level and then push significantly harder I do get the very soft sound I'm expecting, but it's significantly more force than any of the other keys require. From my "no idea where the sensors are" non-technical analysis it seems like those sensors are slightly lower than they should be, which makes playing softly impossible.

Anyways, time for another email to Kraft. I do want to emphasize that they've been great to deal with; this second piano was shipped via a different company and arrived in excellent condition. Fortunately I do not truly need a piano right now, so I can afford to wait until I end up with a good one.

Aaron

Kawai MP10
Deffie #1657103 04/09/11 12:43 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Damn! I had a feeling this was going to happen... mad

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP7-no sound on 1 key
by Royce - 08/06/20 09:37 PM
Yamaha with a history coming up for sale
by BDB - 08/06/20 07:53 PM
Minor 6 chords in songs
by Visalia - 08/06/20 05:58 PM
Yamaha p515 headphone output panning problem
by omvibraphone - 08/06/20 05:56 PM
Help identifying piece..
by Issadore - 08/06/20 05:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,767
Posts2,988,956
Members98,052
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission