2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 63 of 75 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 74 75
F
F
Funny enough, I spent some last weekend trying to find Tocatta in D, and here it is all nice and transcribed. Having some fun with that one.... Tho, I'm still trying to keep to my goal of playing through these books properly.

Hi book 3er's. I started this book a while back, but like so many others have set it down to pursue other things. I have decided to try and complete this book from the beginning so I'm starting with "A Super-Special Sorta Song".

Wish me luck. crazy

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Hi HG, good to see another book 3 participant going for the “full set”. If you can keep at it through some of the “pieces of questionable worth” you’ll find that there is a lot of good stuff in here. You’ll also find that this will probably take longer to complete than either of the previous books (if you include the “Ambitious Section” which you really should).

Anyway Good Luck on your journey!

Undone

[Linked Image]
HG - Welcome aboard the Book 3 group!

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Just an update that today I was assigned "Variations on a Sea Chanty". I'm moving along in Book 3 slowly but surely.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm about finished with "A Super Special Sorta Song" and will be moving on to "Calypso Rhumba".

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
Well gang, I’m considering myself done (though I'll still use the forum name "Undone" smile ). I finished Fur Elise, the last piece I had to go in Alfred’s Book 3, this weekend. It’s not quite at “recital level” thanks to all the repeats, but there are only a few glaring “oopses” in it and most of them are problems with dynamics. I’ll continue to work on it from time to time just as I do many of the other pieces at the end of book 3, but I figure I have it down well enough to call it finished and so will move on to other “post Alfred” work.

I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I would not have made it this far if it were not for the “Alfred Adult All-In-One” threads here in ABF and all the fine people who have contributed to them and worked along with me through many of the phases of learning. A big thanks to Mark for starting them and to everyone who has contributed to them over the years!

Undone

[Linked Image]
P
P
Originally Posted by Undone
In book 3 I’m currently working on Toccata in Dm
Undone

Can somebody tell me - is this piece in Alfred's Basic Book 3 or does it only appear in the All in One Book 3? Thanks!

Kawai CA67
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Congrats again Undone! I never expected the threads to last this long. laugh

So where you going after the graduation parties...?

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by PhilzPiano
Originally Posted by Undone
In book 3 I’m currently working on Toccata in Dm
Undone

Can somebody tell me - is this piece in Alfred's Basic Book 3 or does it only appear in the All in One Book 3? Thanks!

If its the spooky sounding one, its it the basic too.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Woohoo, Undone! Congratulations. Are you the first to graduate from all three of these threads? What book/piece are you going to work on next?

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Is the Fur Elise in book 3 a simplified version, or the "real deal"?

Originally Posted by Mark...
Congrats again Undone! I never expected the threads to last this long. laugh

So where you going after the graduation parties...?

Originally Posted by mom3gram
Woohoo, Undone! Congratulations. Are you the first to graduate from all three of these threads? What book/piece are you going to work on next?

Thanks Mark & mom3gram. It really does seem like a graduation, especially since it took about as long as High School! laugh

Undone

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by starbug

It's the "real deal".

Undone

[Linked Image]
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by starbug

Everything in the back of book 3 in the "Ambitious Section" is the read deal.

cool! look forward to that smile

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Howdy y'all.
Let me introduce myself.
I'm recently retired, but have been foolin' around with keyboard "for an embarrasingly long time", considering that I still can't really play--I actually started when I was a teen.
I've mostly tried to learn on my own, but I've had a few teachers along the way, for a few months at a time--one was very good, actually (taught at college) but I didn't have my own piano at the time and didn't pratice nearly enough.

Anyway, I'm here because a few years ago I decided to pick up again with Alfred Adult AIO Book 2, and with the help of a teacher, slugged my way through it. I didn't think the teacher was helping me all that much, so I quit lessons and started Book 3 on my own. According to my notes, I got up to page 41, "Make up Your Mind". I must have "made up my mind" to do something else at that point. What I did do is go back to the Chord Approach Book 2, and I worked through those and a lot of the supplements, especially Christmas and Hymns. That was fine for just playing tunes, but I wanted to really learn the left hand, so I went to the Basic Course starting in Book 2 again, and quit again when I got into book 3 or 4!
Reminds me of the old saw--I don't have X years experience, I have 1 year experience X times!

But I still can't play the songs I want, or play good enough to, say, accompany a family sing-along.
I'd like to evenutally be able to "play by ear" and play hymns from the hymnbook (4-parts).

So now I'm now working with a new teacher in a group class, and he's using a "constructive" approach--showing us how to write songs and make chords. I like that--I feel I'm starting to play music and not just notes.
But his approach is a bit weak on technique. And discipline--which I sorely need.

When I (re)discovered this forum, it inspired me to take another look at Alfred, because I was making noticeable (to me at least) progress then, and as I say, I don't seem to make progress unless I'm following a disciplined plan of study.
So I guess this is my pledge to me to FINISH AIO Book 3! (And review book 2.) Imagine being able to play Bach, Beethoven, and Chopin! Off to the piano!

tinman1943

tinman1943
Adult Learner
--Music is poetry; why print it like prose?--
Tinman1943, I hope you have better luck in completing book 3 this time. It can take a long time to do so. One thing I found when I started my re-learning journey; I thought that when I got “good enough” I’d be able to play some of the more complicated pieces such as those at the end of Book 3 as easily as I could play the pieces in book 1 when I was at that level. This has not been the case. It takes me much longer to get the “ambitious” pieces down, but on the other hand, I’m able to complete them much more quickly than I could have when I started in book 3. You just have to stick with it! smile

Undone

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the encouragement, Undone.

I decided to go back to the begining of 3 since I've been away for so long.
Actually I'm also reviewing 2 in parallel.

And I'm also trying to catch up on the first 46 pages of this thread, because I'm sure there's a lot of good advice in there. And in the other book threads as well.

But here's a problem I'm having at the moment.

In a piece like Super Special Sort of Song, there's a lot of repetition of the same patterns,
and switching to repetitions of a similar pattern. I can do any given pattern, measure or pair just fine.
But when I try to play the complete song, I end up still playing the G7 chord pattern when I should be playing the C, or vice versa.
It's like the change sneaks up and surprises me, then I either hit the wrong notes or have to stop and figure out which notes to play before going on.
Perhaps I'm not really paying attention to the music at all, just playing from memory, and don't notice the switch until it's too late. (When I was in school I could "read" a whole page of a boring novel while daydreaming about something else!).

I'm guessing I need to learn to read ahead so I can start planning the switch before I actually get to it. Which means playing one thing while looking at something else.
I know I can do it with words, when reading aloud, so it must be similar with music, right?)
Any suggestions how to practice that?

tinman1943
Adult Learner
--Music is poetry; why print it like prose?--
Tinman1943, Sounds like you already know what to do to resolve the problem; read the music as your playing (don’t go by memory too soon) and learn to look ahead a little for what’s coming up. In my previous post I stated that it takes a long time to get some of these piece down. That’s true, but the further I went in book 3 (and the more time under my belt), the more I found that I could quickly “work my way through the piece”. Maybe not site read it, but within a relatively short period of time I could bungle my way through. Where the “takes a long time” comes in is taking the piece from “bungling my way through” to “finished piece”, and the last ten percent of “polish” takes more time than any other segment. But then that’s just me, and it’s all part of the fun.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Page 63 of 75 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission