2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I am currently working on Bach's French Suite # 5 in g major. I played one of the movements for my teacher in my lesson, and she said I needed to add pedal. I thought it sounded fine as it was, so I asked why. Her answer was that all professionals use the pedal in Bach, and if I don't use the pedal I will sound like a beginner. She then went on to make me put in the pedal without giving me any guidelines first, which was frustrating, but that doesn't really have to do with the question. The questions is: is it really true that ALL professionals pedal in Bach? I thought there was a school that didn't believe in it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There was a discussion here some time ago... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's not true that all professionals use pedal in Bach, although most do.

And indeed there are different schools of thought -- not just "yes" or "no," but also 'how much,' and 'exactly how.'

It's fine to do it any of these ways, as long as you do it well.

What's "well"? That's the really hard part. smile

Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

But I bet it's never been asked before quite this way. smile

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, sorry. I hate to bring up stuff that has been beaten to death already. blush
BTW, when I clicked the link, it just brought me back to this topic.

Originally Posted by Mark_C
It's not true that all professionals use pedal in Bach, although most do.

And indeed there are different schools of thought -- not just "yes" or "no," but also 'how much,' and 'exactly how.'

It's fine to do it any of these ways, as long as you do it well.

What's "well"? That's the really hard part. smile

That is the hard part. For the longest time I was really confused because I couldn't figure out where, why, how to use the pedal. Finally she said pedal on certain notes that need more sound. That helped a little, but it's hard to decide what notes need "more sound" too.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Also, another way to put it: is it legitimate to refrain from pedaling? Will people take me seriously if I don't? And wouldn't it be better to leave it out than to put it in cluelessly?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto

Oh, sorry. I hate to bring up stuff that has been beaten to death already. blush
BTW, when I clicked the link, it just brought me back to this topic.

Sorry! blush I copied and pasted the url of the wrong window (I had both tabs open)...
This is the correct link...

No problem at all, I bring up old topics too sometimes... I just thought maybe there are some useful ideas... And some new ideas may be added to this thread too... smile

As to me, yes, I use the pedal, but your teacher's assertion that ALL professionals use it is probably exaggerated I think.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

i'm working on a couple movements from the same piece -- i do use the pedal, but i use it sparingly -- for the most part, finger legato SHOULD get you through.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fledgehog
i'm working on a couple movements from the same piece -- i do use the pedal, but i use it sparingly -- for the most part, finger legato SHOULD get you through.

Yes, for this particular movement (Allemande) the legato/articulation is exactly how I want it without pedal, which is why I was confused at first that my teacher wanted me to add pedal. I mean what else is the pedal for if not connecting the notes, right?...well actually wrong.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
There are people who feel the piano has capabilities far beyond the instruments Bach ever used, and he would be delighted to see those capabilities exploited. I can respect that premise, even as I disagree with it. Personally, I feel that Bach was a linear thinker. He didn't subscribe to the notions of harmony that Rameau set down in his treatise, and instead continued to think in a primarily horizontal fashion, with the "vertical" harmonies being a little more secondary. I do use the pedal in Bach, but always in such a way that the horizontal movement is clear.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Why NOT use pedal in Bach? Otherwise, why bother to play his music on a modern piano? I don't think Bach would have particularly minded: I cannot think of any other composer whose music adapts so beautifully to any medium. His music is indestructible. In the opening of the C minor Partita I couldn't imagine not using pedal, I certainly did when I studied it in secondary school.

Move over to the organ music, and the 'Baroque Boys' (as Virgil Fox sneered), would forbid Bach's music played on anything other than a Marcussen or that dreadful instrument Michael Chapius used in his recordings. One of the most moving performances I ever heard of the Fantasy & Fugue in G minor was on the massive Willis at Liverpool Anglican.

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Umm no, all professionals do NOT use the pedal with Bach. It's late and I'm battling a cold...can't sleep...not even going to start with this subject, but there isn't a NEED for pedal with Bach and any teacher that claims you'll sound like a beginner shouldn't be teaching.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Do get to bed stores. Things are much more pleasant when you're not around.

Jason
Originally Posted by stores
Umm no, all professionals do NOT use the pedal with Bach. It's late and I'm battling a cold...can't sleep...not even going to start with this subject....

Hey Stores -- I played (more or less) smile a whole recital with a cold. You're saying you can't even post? ha

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Hey Stores -- I played (more or less) smile a whole recital with a cold. You're saying you can't even post? ha

Frankly I would prefer if he didn't.

ha ha ha

Jason
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
argerichfan, why bait the man?

As for the OP, I find it strange that the teacher only gives you this "explanation" which is a silly one IMO. You shouldn't use the pedal just because some professionals do. You should use the pedal if you think it serves a purpose. You have no idea what that purpose might be right now thanks to your teacher's "explanation". You should probably demand a better explanation and if the teacher does not give you a satisfactory response, it might be time for you to look for another teacher.

Has your teacher discussed with you the various different functions a pedal can be used for? So for example do you know the pedal is used for purposes of tone color and not necessarily always for sustain? Heard of accent pedals? There are places in a Bach prelude that I play where I use the pedal on accents (but short) just to give the accented note a different color from the rest of the notes. So there are legitimate ways to use the pedal but you must know what the purpose is and what it is that you want to achieve with the sound before you begin to use the pedal. Throw your teacher's explanation out of the window if you are unable to see why the pedal must be used or if the teacher is unable to provide a better explanation. You using the pedal without having an idea about the purpose would do more harm than you not using the pedal where it might have added to the sound.

Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
Originally Posted by fledgehog

Yes, for this particular movement (Allemande) the legato/articulation is exactly how I want it without pedal, which is why I was confused at first that my teacher wanted me to add pedal. I mean what else is the pedal for if not connecting the notes, right?...well actually wrong.

agreed. excapt for a couple tiny places, pedaling in the allemande sounds really muddy and blurry.

Just a general point, not aimed particularly at the OP......

I think we should be careful to assume too much about exactly what a teacher said, based on what is said in a post. I mean look: In real life, when we hear something said, and then we hear someone tell about it, how often do they get it exactly right? IMO, not that often. Something usually gets lost in the repetition. So why should it be any different with posts? And it's no slam on the poster; IMO it's normal, just something that happens.

And we even make mistakes like that with what people say in posts. When we talk about what someone said, we might get it a little wrong, sometimes even way wrong -- even though what they said was right there on the page.

So....I'm not assuming anything about what the teacher said. That's why I answered just in terms of what the OP asked, without saying anything about the teacher.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by stores
Umm no, all professionals do NOT use the pedal with Bach. It's late and I'm battling a cold...can't sleep...not even going to start with this subject, but there isn't a NEED for pedal with Bach and any teacher that claims you'll sound like a beginner shouldn't be teaching.
Disagree. You should use the pedal whenever you want a passage to sound louder (more robust). In Bach's time you'd sometimes have flaps that opened on a harpsichord to give the same effect.

Laissez tomber les mains
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
.....You should use the pedal whenever you want a passage to sound louder (more robust)....

You sure you want to put it that way? smile

For what it's worth, not too many people would agree with it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission