2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by vers la flan
Hi pianoloverus,

I got the quote from the Autumn 1997 issue of International Piano Quarterly, who in turn got it from a German book called Musiker Im Gespräch: Sviatoslav Richter. According to IPQ, the interviews from this article originally took place in September 1971 and August 1973.
I was responding to your OP. Your second post(the quote) clearly shows that the audience was also important to Richter.

I agree that the audience was important to Richter. In fact, later on in the same interview he goes on to describe the audience in Paris and contrast that with the audience in Germany and how the dynamic affects the recital. So clearly, he's attuned to these kinds of things.

I guess what I'm reading in these assertions is that one philosophy is geared more towards playing based primarily on what one is feeling, while the other is geared towards giving the audience what they seem to want. And given these options, I agree with the former (much as I think Pogorelich stated she does).

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's like the contrast between (Stanislavsky) "method" actors and others. Are you trying to be the character, or do you consciously act so as to convey the character to the audience. According to Chasins, Hofmann was in the second group, feeling that at times one had to "project" more to the audience than you would if you were playing in a small venue (a living room) or for yourself. Artur Rubinstein comments in the first volume of his autobiography that he would choose a person in the audience to play to. Perhaps that puts him in the second group also.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ralph
Richter suffered from performance anxiety after an embarrassing memory lapse during a performance. He used to play with the score and just a single light next to the piano shining on the keyboard. The audience couldn't even see his face. I think he did all that to ward off the anxiety. His attitude toward performing was probably a device to deal with his fear.

Hi Ralph,

Don't *all* pianists suffer from performance anxiety? ;P

At any rate, if I'm not mistaken these interviews took place before the infamous memory slip. And, according to Richter, at least, the thing about playing almost completely in the dark was to allow the audience to focus on the music and not the performer (and, he admitted, there was a kind of theatrical effect to it as well).

That's all true about the timing of the interview and the memory issue not occuring until 1980, but I think (and this is just my opinion) that Richter was fearing some sort of catastrophe that in fact did happen during that 1980 concert. And yes, most certainly all pianists suffer from performance anxiety. Gould delt with it in his way and Richter in his.

Richter was a powerhouse and a big figure of a man and he knew it, but none of us know what was really going on between his ears. He was also very theatrical when he performed. He'd sit at the piano for what seemed to be minutes and then attacked the keyboard. Maybe just a little showboating? He was VERY aware of the audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hOKcdZJJFU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ-NAgDpRVs

Do or do not. There is no try.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I noticed that on that second video he sat on what looked like a bar stool. Very interesting.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
To me, there's something smarmy and false about the Cliburn position. Of course, it's just what someone pandering to an audience would say.

Richter's not caring about the audience seems much more real to me, and interestingly, he's the one who had the long career, not Cliburn. And over time, it appears that he played for far far more people than Cliburn ever did, in spite of his "bad" attitude towards audiences.

But I don't think Richter was really anti-audience, it's more that he knew his own standards of performance worked better to get him playing at his absolute best, rather than trying to please "the audience". So playing for himself and not considering the audience was indirectly the way to do his best for the audience.

Pleasing the audience is something of a fantasy anyway, since the audience is really made up of all sorts of individuals who have all sorts of thoughts and ideas about what the music and performance should be and what they want out of it. A performer playing for the audience is really just projecting onto that mass of people some kind of imagined common denominator, which may or may not be close to reality.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
Would Cortot and Michelangeli represent two extreme examples of each argument?
Maybe, but I don't know which categories they'd be in?

Unless someone is playing only for the money or their ego, I can't see why soemone wouldn't care what the audience feels. Why perform in public?

I think some posters are confusing about caring if the audience feels something with who should evaluate the quality of a performance.

Cortot would be in the "playing for self" category and Michelangeli the other. Of course i'm not being serious.

As to playing in public, i thought the audience goes to hear the pianist, and not necessarily that the pianist goes to play for the audience; especially in Richter's case.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

Cliburn once said that the pianist must never think of himself when performing because it is always for the audience he is playing, never for himself. Richter, on the other hand, said he always played only for himself and that he never paid any attention to the audience.

So, which do you agree with? Bear in mind, there's no right or wrong answer.

That being said, Richter is right wink .

I agree with neither. Performing is for the composer first and everything else comes second.

+1 When I am playing a Beethoven Sonata, I play best when I feel like I am "channeling Beethoven".

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
To me, there's something smarmy and false about the Cliburn position.....Richter's not caring about the audience seems much more real to me....

If anything I would say essentially the opposite.

As I said before, I think the answer for most performers is (and should be) somewhere in between. But IMO Richter's is basically full of crap. smile

Along the lines of what some other people have said, IMO we can be pretty sure that what Richter said was more a compensatory kind of thing (sort of what would sometimes be called "sour grapes") than genuine. Looking at it that way perhaps helped him -- but it wasn't true.

(I think I can predict fairly well how you might reply, and I'm ready.) ha

1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As I read I keep thinking "false dichotomy". I doubt I could keep doing this without a healthy does of both attitudes.

I would never be able to learn anything on piano if I didn't love the music itself, enough to organize my life to accomodate hours of solitary practicing. The thought of performing pushes me to prepare as much as possible to cope with nerves and memory slips, and do the best I can of bringing this music to life in front of an audience, so's they can share some of the enjoyment I get out of it.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Disagree with what Mark says. Given the way he thrashes his own performances in his own private journals, I'm pretty sure that when he says he's only satisfied with a concert when he plays to his own standards, he's being genuine.

And to the OP or somewhere: I think the more exact words by Richter were somewhere along the lines of "I don't need the audience", not that he doesn't exactly care about them.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Disagree with what Mark says. Given the way he thrashes his own performances in his own private journals, I'm pretty sure that when he says he's only satisfied with a concert when he plays to his own standards, he's being genuine.....

I don't disagree one bit with that.

But while the two things you're talking about (and they are different things) seem to be sort of the same, but they're not. Being satisfied or not satisfied according to the audience isn't the same as whether or not we are influenced by their presence and whether we feel it matters.

I just played a recital yesterday, and I'm not satisfied, for exactly the reason Richter gave: I didn't play to my own standard (although it met most of the audience's standard). I share that with Richter. (Not enough else, unfortunately.) ha
And there have been a couple of times in competitions that I did meet my own standards but not the judges' standards -- and I felt very satisfied.

But I don't at all share the rest of what Richter said (including how you clarified it), and as per what I said before, I don't believe it was even true for him, although he might have tried to convince himself that it was, and it may have helped him.

V
OP Offline
V
Hi all,

In the interest of full disclosure, this is the quote from Cliburn, lifted from the documentary for the 8th Cliburn competition, "Here to Make Music."

Half of you must be on the stage relating to the music, and half of you must be in the audience trying to see (?) how the audience is feeling what you're trying to say, because it's for them that you're playing, it is not for yourself.

I admit, in its entirety it's not such a one-sided assertion. Nevertheless, the emphatic way he declares the last part about playing for the audience and not for oneself still doesn't sit right with me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
To me, there's something smarmy and false about the Cliburn position.

I couldn't agree more! Give me a break Van. We all know that audiences are the root of all evil. The only thing good about audiences are ticket sales and Van was very aware of that.

I saw Van play the Tchaik 1 in Philladelphia in 1978(?). Talk about building a career with one piece. He got a lot of mileage out of that one.

Do or do not. There is no try.
Hi all,
In the interest of full disclosure, this is the quote from Cliburn, lifted from the documentary for the 8th Cliburn competition, "Here to Make Music."
Half of you must be on the stage relating to the music, and half of you must be in the audience trying to see (?) how the audience is feeling what you're trying to say, because it's for them that you're playing, it is not for yourself.
I admit, in its entirety it's not such a one-sided assertion. Nevertheless, the emphatic way he declares the last part about playing for the audience and not for oneself still doesn't sit right with me.

Sit right with you? smile
OK.....What both of these guys actually said isn't as simple as how it was presented here.

But anyway it has made for a nice thread. smile

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Hi all,

Why doesn't it sit right? If you have an audience, particularly a paying one, then you should be playing for them. Otherwise, you are just masturbating in public. That should always be done in private.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Hmm, I think Richter just started performing with a score because he said if you were to be absolutely true to the composer you should play with a score; it's impossible to memorize every single detail, and a score gives you the details right there. According to him, it's more honest that way.

When Richter played with a score, though, he sounded like he was reading - he lost his impulsiveness and fiery temperament. I listened to a Prokofiev Second Sonata from his Vienna recital that was drained of any kind of life. He was much more true to the music when he wasn't reading.

Personally, though, I'm much better with a score in front of me.

For what it's worth, y'all check this out: It's from the Cliburn Foundation website, in a "Q & A" by a past-and-possibly-future judge (Carol Leone), giving guidance for the upcoming amateur competition:

What about playing from memory?

At the Cliburn's Amateur competition, memorization isn't required of course, but the most successful pianists typically do play from memory. They're much more free.

Flat-out -- "They're much more free" -- none of "Some people say this and some people say that," or "This is just my opinion."
Just, "They're much more free."

Sure, we could say it's one person's opinion, but it's an opinion widely-enough shared that it's not unreasonable for the Cliburn site to say that. I wouldn't have put it so flat-out but I'm with those who are convinced that other things being equal, it's true, and Jeffrey's post about Richter is right in line with it.

V
OP Offline
V
Hi Damon,

Well, speaking for myself (RE: playing in public, NOT "playing with self" in public), I'm just kind of dubious of a performer who plays for the crowd. It brings to mind a circus seal blowing on horns for a fish. Well, to my twisted mind, anyway.

When I think of the mindset of one who plays for the audience, I think of someone who is trying to please as many people as s/he can, and trying to offend as few people as possible. In short, someone who is playing like they're trying to win a competition, or perhaps record something for posterity, which to me is boring. It's like they try to convey the universal by communicating on a universal level--making broad statements and platitudes that everyone can agree on. I'm more interested in someone who communicates something personal which then becomes universal through shared recognition.

And as for the other thing, um, yes. Probably best kept private.

V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Hmm, I think Richter just started performing with a score because he said if you were to be absolutely true to the composer you should play with a score; it's impossible to memorize every single detail, and a score gives you the details right there. According to him, it's more honest that way.

When Richter played with a score, though, he sounded like he was reading - he lost his impulsiveness and fiery temperament. I listened to a Prokofiev Second Sonata from his Vienna recital that was drained of any kind of life. He was much more true to the music when he wasn't reading.

Personally, though, I'm much better with a score in front of me.

Actually, Richter himself conceded the point. To quote (from S. R. Notebooks and Conversations):

True, it's not as easy to retain the same degree of freedom with a score open in front of you — it doesn't work straight away and requires a lot of practice — but now that I've got used to it, I find that it has lots of advantages.

He then goes on for a while talking about the advantages, which some people have already touched on (fidelity to the score, security, breadth of repertoire, etc.).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission