2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (13bwl, anotherscott, Boboulus, Baltguy, Burkhard, BillS728, Animisha, 19 invisible), 1,017 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Gooddog,

As I read your post I couldn't help thinking about the series of thoughts in my head before I take a golf swing. You know, take it back slow, keep the left arm straight, turn your shoulders, keep your head down, don't try to kill the ball. There are at least ten of them and yet everyone says just get up and hit the ball. Over thinking is definitely dangerous sometimes. I feel your pain completely.

Andy

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think its a bit unfair to complain about people having booked the room want to use it though, unless they're coming in earlier than they should. If you have a room until 2 oclock and its 5 to 2, then you should be starting to wind down a bit anyway.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I was spoiled at the University of Michigan. Practice rooms (including the 15 or so with grand pianos, only accessible by approved piano students) are available on a first-come-first-serve basis, with no time limit. Plus, they are open 24-7. You could potentially practice all day and all night without interruption, as long as you didn't leave the room for more than 15 minutes at a time. (If a room has not been used for 15 minutes, it's up for grabs, even if someone's stuff is there - thank goodness, because insensitive people leave their stuff in there to go to a 50-minute lecture, and then come back expecting to have their room again -- too bad!)

Sam
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have heard very good things about the Helsinki conservatoire on such grounds. My college isn't quite as good as that, but if one is proactive its possible to get a good 8 hours of rooms a day. There are over 100 grand pianos I believe.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
I do believe that men can be very, very..... mind-blowingly inconsiderate (without realizing it!) and need to be kicked in .......... the shin. A little bit.

(just sometimes.)

If a man made that comment about a woman, the feminists would be all over him. Its not a good idea to generalize like that. Women can be equally inconsiderate. So lets not get into this kind of discussion/arguments here. Very treacherous grounds these.

Gooddog Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by liszt85
I do believe that men can be very, very..... mind-blowingly inconsiderate (without realizing it!) and need to be kicked in .......... the shin. A little bit.(just sometimes.)
If a man made that comment about a woman, the feminists would be all over him. Its not a good idea to generalize like that. Women can be equally inconsiderate. So lets not get into this kind of discussion/arguments here. Very treacherous grounds these.

Agreed.

Best regards,

Deborah
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianojerome
I was spoiled at the University of Michigan. Practice rooms (including the 15 or so with grand pianos, only accessible by approved piano students) are available on a first-come-first-serve basis, with no time limit. Plus, they are open 24-7. You could potentially practice all day and all night without interruption, as long as you didn't leave the room for more than 15 minutes at a time. (If a room has not been used for 15 minutes, it's up for grabs, even if someone's stuff is there - thank goodness, because insensitive people leave their stuff in there to go to a 50-minute lecture, and then come back expecting to have their room again -- too bad!)

You're quite right that you better not dare leave for more than 15 minutes (more like 10) or your room will be gone. I DID practice all night quite often (wish I still had the energy to do that!) When were you at Michigan, jerome?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by liszt85
I do believe that men can be very, very..... mind-blowingly inconsiderate (without realizing it!) and need to be kicked in .......... the shin. A little bit.

(just sometimes.)

I chuckled to myself as a read the original comments by Deborah. I didn't have time to write. I knew someone would respond anyway.

I laughed because this also happens in a two-male household. I had to help my partner (of 42 years) understand that he could not interrupt me when I'm practicing the piano. In our case, however, there had not been a piano in our home for more than 30 years until last fall when I purchased a new keyboard. It only took a few incidents in which I had to teach piano etiquette. It's been successful!

Carl

J
J
Years ago I posted the almost exact complaint! After 36 years of togetherness, there are days...................A couple of ideas. Number one, I keep remembering to tell myself, he is NOT a musician. That's not his fault, although I want to scream that phrase several times. We bought a home 6 years ago, after having two other houses where his office and my studio not only were at opposite ends of the house but different floors! Then he retired.......................

Long story short, adjustments needed to be made, discussed, tried, other options explored, more talking more discussions.....................When he finally stated he didn't understand why his walking through the hall (no door) bothered me when I was concentrating, I went out and bought a folding wooden door. Brought it home and set it up to "close" off my space. He was dumbfounded. He simply didn't understand (probably still can't). BUT, when the door is up, unless the house is burning or the cat dying, he doesn't disturb me. I also respond by using the door only when I know I need X numbers of minutes-hours of work. Other times, I leave folded up against the wall and we are both more comfortable. For now it works. I will say at one point I was considering finding a nice church to practice in. But I would rather stay home. For us, it's compromise, 36 years of compromise. And he is still my best friend and cheers the loudest at the concerts......................

F
F
One of the troubles I get in a boarding school - in the middle of my practice, someone knocks on my door, then an hour of practice is sacrificed.

It is not much better if I practice at home....... My family members interrupt me almost every 15 mins.

Last edited by feebee_liszt; 03/29/11 08:08 PM.

The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides! - Schnabel
Gooddog Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

ChopinAddict--Thanks for linking to my skit. laugh

Please listen to my skit that CA linked to. The comedy may be the balm you need...--Andy
Loved it! laugh

Best regards,

Deborah
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
If it were me, I'd sit down with my spouse and set some clear boundaries. No interruptions while you're playing unless it's some sort of emergency. That should do it. If it doesn't, then it could be symptomatic of deeper problems.

Edit: as I reread your opening post, I see you have done this. I'd be boiling too. Maybe he's jealous of your love affair with the piano. Some men, and women of course, are awfully insecure.

Last edited by cardguy; 03/29/11 08:50 PM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
if you are reading the newspaper the cat will come over and tapping their paw on the paper or crunching over it just to get your attention!...marry someone who plays a musical instrument too...they won't make a pest of themselves while your practicing!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You have three choices:
1. Train him properly
2. Ignore him completely
3. Divorce him

I don't think I've missed anything.
(Anything legal anyways).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My bird always wants to talk when I play the piano. He doesn't do it with other instruments. And it is the piano, not me... smile He has the same reaction when I listen to YouTube performances, or performances of other members here. I think he just wants to chime in...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Today during my practice session ...

My daughter: "Daddy?"
Sigh ... "Yes, sweetie".
"Can I call Zoe?"
"Yes, you can."
"Thanks, can you stop your piano practice while I'm on the phone".

GRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Today during my practice session ...

My daughter: "Daddy?"
Sigh ... "Yes, sweetie".
"Can I call Zoe?"
"Yes, you can."
"Thanks, can you stop your piano practice while I'm on the phone".

GRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Happens a few times a day around here laugh

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
C
C
This is a great thread, I laughed so hard. Between my husband who plays his CDs at every opportunity and the kids who crawl on my lap and lay their hands on mine during the most difficult parts of whatever piece I'm playing, I can really relate to these stories.

It never fails, when I play badly, there's no one to interrupt, but when I'm reaching new heights (in my own mind at least) in technique and interpretation, it's guaranteed that I won't make it to the end of the piece.

I forgive them though, as they have come to every single one of my recitals.

A
A
This happens in my home too. The cats are well trained; they leave me alone while I am practicing and don't sit on the newspaper when I am reading it.

My husband is something else. It seems that I can be doing something quiet and he leaves me alone for hours. Then as soon as I start to practice, he wants attention NOW. He's finally learning that he can talk to me, but I might not respond until later when I am at a stopping point. My children are more understanding - they are also learning piano.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by pianojerome

You're quite right that you better not dare leave for more than 15 minutes (more like 10) or your room will be gone. I DID practice all night quite often (wish I still had the energy to do that!) When were you at Michigan, jerome?

I was there from 2005-2009, for a BM in music history. How about you?

Sam
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ES520 vx FP-90 action
by puremusic - 05/17/22 01:04 PM
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,111
Posts3,192,222
Members105,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission