Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
140 registered members (Agent88, AssociateX, almo82, AlphaBravoCharlie, Aydan, ALEXANDER DYKER, Beowulf, BbAltered, 34 invisible), 1,740 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? #1644833
03/20/11 05:47 PM
03/20/11 05:47 PM
Central Texas
Jonahan Offline OP
Jonahan  Offline OP

Central Texas
I recently came into a little money, and decided that it was time to upgrade my piano. I've been playing on a little Wurlitzer baby grand (probably between 4'11" and 5'1") since I was 5 (I'm 38 now). That piano was given to my mother on her 18th birthday in 1943. It will stay in the family, of course.

Anyway, I went out looking, and although it was a lot of fun, it's a bit exhausting and a little overwhelming. I finally found two pianos that I just loved.

The first was a 1989 (well, she said, but the serial number seems to show 1988) Yahama G2 in EXCELLENT condition, from a private seller. It has been very well taken care of. It seems to be about a 5'7" - 5'9" piano, and has a sound that is about 95% of what I like in a piano. The action was very enjoyable, and it had great deep bass and clear highs. The asking price was $7250. The cabinet is a matte mahogany.

The second was first reported to be a 1995, but later corrected to be a 2001 (he thought, but it was difficult to track the serial number... neither of us is completely sure at this point) Conover Cable being sold on consignment at a major piano store in my area. This piano is amazing. It's a 5'1", but sounds as big as the Yamaha. DEEP bass tones, beautiful everything else. The asking price was $5500, and he wouldn't budge on it. Several people were interested, and I guess it'll sell at that price eventually, if not soon. They did offer a 100% "buy back" value on an upgrade of twice the price within 5 years. The cabinet on this one was a beautiful high polish mahogany, though it looked more cherry. It has a sound of about 90% of what I like in a piano.

Both pianos were beautiful, though the Conover Cable was a little prettier to me, future fingerprints not withstanding. Both sounded great, and either would make me happy.

The Conover Cable would have been close to $6000 with tax, so I called the owner of the Yamaha and offered $6000. She accepted, and I'm taking delivery of it early this coming week.

I can't find much information about Conover Cable, except that since the 80s they have been made by Samick. I'm just wondering what anyone else might think about my choice. Are the two pianos very comparable, or is one much better than the other, at least from a brand-name point of view? Will I regret buying a 20 year old piano, rather than a 10 year old piano for the same price?

Thanks in advance for your sage wisdom. =)

Jonathan

1943 Wurlitzer (4'9")
1988 Yamaha G2 (5'7")
2010 Casio Privia PX-130
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: Jonahan] #1644838
03/20/11 06:00 PM
03/20/11 06:00 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Three problems here

1. You chose between two pianos. Readers here can only choose between two descriptive paragraphs.

2. It's impossible for anyone, least of all strangers who don't know you, to tell you if you will regret your choice.

3.) Advice after the deal is done doesn't accomplish anything.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: Jonahan] #1644852
03/20/11 06:22 PM
03/20/11 06:22 PM
Georgia
C
ChasT Offline
500 Post Club Member
ChasT  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

Georgia
Congratulations! And welcome to the forum.

There's no need to second guess. You bought a really nice piano and, if it's as nice as you say, you got a really good deal. $6K is an excellent price, especially with the mahogany cabinet.

So, the pluses are: 1. You got 95% of what you want in a piano. 2. In Excellent condition. 3. Action and tone you really like.

The minuses are 1. You could have bought a smaller, less well known brand for slightly less money.

You may not realize it yet, but you'll grow to appreciate the extra 7 inches of length in the Yamaha. Size is really important between 5 and 6 feet; you're fighting physics with a really small grand piano and 5'1" is small. The sound, especially the bass, will be much better with the larger piano.

Anyway, the deal is done and got a really nice piano. Now, enjoy!

Charles

Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: turandot] #1644920
03/20/11 08:52 PM
03/20/11 08:52 PM
Central Texas
Jonahan Offline OP
Jonahan  Offline OP

Central Texas
Originally Posted by turandot
Three problems here

I'm one of those crazy guys who can learn from past mistakes, so advice is always welcome, whether the deal is done or not. =) Thanks for adding to the discussion, though.

1943 Wurlitzer (4'9")
1988 Yamaha G2 (5'7")
2010 Casio Privia PX-130
Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: Jonahan] #1644922
03/20/11 08:53 PM
03/20/11 08:53 PM
PA
Y
YammyG2 Offline
YammyG2  Offline
Y

PA
Yamaha G2's are very nice pianos. Mine was built in 1977. I have had it totally restrung and the action regulated soon after I bought it as the bass strings were starting to lose a little of their quality. I am glad that I had this work done as now it has a wonderful touch and tone.

I think you will be happy with it. Yamahas are known for their consistancy. The G2 is a size where you are beginning to have a good bass and it works well sound wise for a home-sized room.

Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: Jonahan] #1644998
03/20/11 11:38 PM
03/20/11 11:38 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Originally Posted by Jonahan
Three problems here

I'm one of those crazy guys who can learn from past mistakes, so advice is always welcome, whether the deal is done or not. =)

Okay then. If you shop used pianos again, get the one you like best inspected before you commit. That way you won't have nagging questions in your mind later.

Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: turandot] #1645009
03/21/11 12:02 AM
03/21/11 12:02 AM
Central Texas
Jonahan Offline OP
Jonahan  Offline OP

Central Texas
Okay then. If you shop used pianos again, get the one you like best inspected before you commit. That way you won't have nagging questions in your mind later.

Thank you. That's extremely helpful, and very friendly. You've gone out of your way to make me feel welcome on your forum, and have taken the time to answer my questions in a thoughtful manner. Again, thanks for adding to the discussion.

1943 Wurlitzer (4'9")
1988 Yamaha G2 (5'7")
2010 Casio Privia PX-130
Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: Jonahan] #1645018
03/21/11 12:16 AM
03/21/11 12:16 AM
Central Texas
Jonahan Offline OP
Jonahan  Offline OP

Central Texas
ChasT and YammyG2, thanks for your replies. A little reassurance from someone who knows goes a long way. One of my nagging concerns about the Conover Cable was, indeed, its size. Even though it sounded big in the show room, I suspect they have their acoustics set up in such a way as to maximize sound. I wasn't sure how it would sound in my home. The bigger size of the Yahama was one of the factors that pushed me in that direction.

Yammy, it's nice to know that a bit of work can help bring back a good piano that's begun to wear down. Hopefully I won't need to go that route for some time, but it's nice to know it's a legitimate option down the line.

Despite Turandots condescending tone, he/she/it is right, I'm sure, in advising that before buying a used piano it's smart to have it inspected by a professional. However, that advice is irrelevant to my post, since I had not expressed any fear about the condition of either piano. Rather, I was simply wondering if others would have also chosen the Yamaha over the Conover Cable, or if I'd made a big, glaring mistake.

Anyway, thank you both for your truly thoughtful responses.

1943 Wurlitzer (4'9")
1988 Yamaha G2 (5'7")
2010 Casio Privia PX-130
Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: Jonahan] #1645128
03/21/11 09:19 AM
03/21/11 09:19 AM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Despite Turandots condescending tone, he/she/it is right, I'm sure, in advising that before buying a used piano it's smart to have it inspected by a professional. However, that advice is irrelevant to my post, since I had not expressed any fear about the condition of either piano.

My tone is not condescending. My post is just not the message that you wanted to hear. My comment was that....

1. You chose between two pianos. Readers here can only choose between two descriptive paragraphs.

2. It's impossible for anyone, least of all strangers who don't know you, to tell you if you will regret your choice.

You countered that....

I'm one of those crazy guys who can learn from past mistakes, so advice is always welcome, whether the deal is done or not.

I responded.....

To which you posted.....

Despite Turandots condescending tone, he/she/it is right, I'm sure, in advising that before buying a used piano it's smart to have it inspected by a professional. However, that advice is irrelevant to my post,

Of course it's irrelevant because the deal is done.

Jonahan,

As pianos get older, comparing them becomes less and less a matter of brand or size, and more and more a matter of condition. If you feel confident that you can evaluate condition yourself without any technical inspection, are satisfied that both are in excellent condition, and have chosen the one you liked better, you have no reason to ask whether you have made a mistake. You bought the older larger piano. You liked the fact it was louder, You liked the price. End of story.

Don't ask for after the fact advice and then declare it to be irrelevant because it's after the fact.

Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: Jonahan] #1645175
03/21/11 10:52 AM
03/21/11 10:52 AM
Jersey Shore
M
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M

Jersey Shore
Originally Posted by Jonahan

Thank you. That's extremely helpful, and very friendly. You've gone out of your way to make me feel welcome on your forum, and have taken the time to answer my questions in a thoughtful manner. Again, thanks for adding to the discussion.

Sarcasm at its best,,,well done Jonahan...lol

Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: Jonahan] #1647272
03/24/11 02:38 PM
03/24/11 02:38 PM
NC
M
mikeheel Offline
mikeheel  Offline
M

NC
Jonathan,

Congratulations on finding a piano you like. As to your questions, I believe the Yamaha G2 is a better piano than the Conover Cable, regardless of size. When you also factor in the size, I think the Yamaha is the clear winner, despite the additional 12 years or so of age.

I've read that you need to be careful with G2s as the voice may become harsh or "brittle" sounding over time. However, when one is well-cared for, as you indicated this one was, it should be perfectly fine.

Enjoy!
Mike

If you're bored, try my blog (mostly faith & family): http://mikeheel.wordpress.com.
Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: mikeheel] #1648684
03/26/11 11:19 PM
03/26/11 11:19 PM
Central Texas
Jonahan Offline OP
Jonahan  Offline OP

Central Texas
I understand the payment for free advice is posting pictures... =) So, without further adieu...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I appreciate the comments. I do feel like I made the right choice, and I do love my new G2. =)

Peace,

Jonathan

1943 Wurlitzer (4'9")
1988 Yamaha G2 (5'7")
2010 Casio Privia PX-130
Re: Yamaha vs. Conover Cable... Did I choose wisely? [Re: Jonahan] #1648946
03/27/11 12:33 PM
03/27/11 12:33 PM
Oregon
S
switcombe Offline
switcombe  Offline
S

Oregon
Very nice! I'm getting a 1994 G2 this week, which I haven't played yet. It's good to hear that you love your piano, hope I'll love mine as well.

1994 Yamaha G2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
John Lewis Christmas ad 2018
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 06:40 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,343
Posts2,761,381
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission