2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hello, all. I'm new here.

I've just started playing piano around the beginning of January this year. I've wanted a piano ever since I was a kid, but started playing guitar at 12 and drums at 16. Now at 29, piano has found a place in my list of musical interests. I'm decently skilled in carpentry and decided that I'm going to build an upright cabinet for which my Casio CDP-100 can call home. I'm really in love with the Essex EUP 111e and used it as a template for my cab. I'm making it out of 3/4" MDF. I've made some schematics and whatnot if anyone on here is interested. I just wanted to introduce myself. Also, I was wondering if anyone here has taken on a similar project and if you had any words of advice? Thank you for your time.

-Zuul

Last edited by Zuul; 04/12/11 06:18 PM.
C
C
looking forward to pics of your progress. maybe give us some ideas.

play that one again sam
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Zuul
.... Also, I was wondering if anyone here has taken on a similar project and if you had any words of advice? Thank you for your time.

I'm thinking that you might design it to also house speakers although designing speaker enclosures does requires some calculation and engineering to determine the internal volume size of the ports. And you have to balance that with cosmetics

Also, I'm wondering how you will finish the MDF. Veneer?

Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
This is what I've gotten figured out so far. Weather permitting I might get started on cuts tomorrow. I'm planning on just priming and painting it. But the guitar player in me is thinking about covering the whole thing in Tolex. The vinyl covering that's used for guitar cabs. Could be cool. I'm still undecided at the moment. Building it comes first regardless. Thanks for having a look. I'm pretty excited to get this started.

-Zuul

Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I was thinking about putting speakers in it at some point. But I think I'll skip it. I can always just put speakers on top of it if needed. Headphones are where it's at for me at the moment. And many, many moments to come.

-Zuul

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's a pretty heavy duty cabinet!
So you're makin' it look like a real upright?
I just went with a light stand.
http://pianocheater.com/piano/rig.html

I'd love to see how it comes out smile

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
But the guitar player in me is thinking about covering the whole thing in Tolex.

Tolex with metal corners, now that would be a cool piano.

But really, if you are going to all that trouble you may as well use some kind of "tone wood". MDF is just "dead" sounding. Then you place the speakers inside not on to. On top would put so much effort to waste

The sound of a piano radiates from the whole instrument. I have a theory that nothing smaller than a Piano will every really sound like a piano. You are doing most of the work See what Yamah did with their N2 Yamaha N2 The top opens and speakers are under the lid

Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Wow! Thank you for that link. I've never seen that before. I really dig it. Not only from a clean build sort of way but from a weighs less than what I was about to build way. ha! As for the MDF and it's deadness, I'm stuck with it. I've already got 2 sheets waiting for me in the garage. My mind is already working on a new cabinet. You saved me from making a mistake I've made before. I wanted to make an arcade cab for as long as I can remember and built one. A full size, stand up arcade machine.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Then I saw that folks had made smaller Bartop arcades and I kicked myself for not making that in the first place.
It turned out way better than the first.

I'm going to rework my plans and see what I come up with. I dig the speakers inside with the lid action. I wasn't liking the idea of cutting sound holes or attaching speaker grills to the front if I had speakers in it. That's why I was just going to skip it. Thank you, very much.

More soon I hope.

-Zuul
Always to quick to decide.

C
C
screw it, why not just build an avantgrand n3 lol

prolly would be easier just to buy some hunk of junk baby grand and gut her out.

Last edited by craig1999871; 03/27/11 10:50 AM.

play that one again sam
Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Eh, but where's the fun in that? I like the project. The work. Plus when you're finished you've got something unique that you can be proud of. Like writing a song.

-Z

Nice project, will be inspiration.

Do you plan replacing the Casio with another model? If so, other one must fit the cabinet also. Think about the pedals.

You could also make it for a DP with rear speakers such as Roland FP-4 or Yamaha P-155, and then place it the way the speakers play inside the cabinet - then the sound goes up through the lid. Even MDF will do some resonating job; look at the cheap guitars, they're not wooden, but some of them sound good.

Also look at the keyboard lid, it's essential to make it look nice. The best is curved, made of one piece, and smartly hidden when it's open.

Thank you for posting your project!

Roland FP-4
Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thank you. Yeah, I doubt I'll be using the Casio forever. But it's good to learn with. Weighted keys, full 88. It's about L-53" W-11" H-5.5" The measurements I'm working with are 60"x20"x8" for the keyboard area. I've checked a bunch of different models online and I'm pretty sure I shouldn't run into any problems when upgrading. I completely agree with you on the importance of a nice lid. It's the main thing I've been stuck on with my drawings. At one point I was going to set it up using drawer rail slides so that the front flipped up and the whole thing slid into the cabinet body. But I've got this idea using 2 hinges that I think should work well enough. I'm working a new sketch right now that shows my intentions. Should be able to post it later.

Thanks again.
-Z

C
C
Eh, but where's the fun in that? I like the project. The work. Plus when you're finished you've got something unique that you can be proud of. Like writing a song.

-Z

that would be a project in itself. I would be proud of a digital grand retrofit. not to mention refinishing all the wood that probably looks like crap.

Last edited by craig1999871; 03/27/11 05:14 PM.

play that one again sam
Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
You're right, I can see how that could be sort of fun in it's own way.

A
A
Very interesting. Please keep us posted.
Don't you think MDF might be end up being too heavy for the completed product?
I am kind of tempted to go that way as well. I've been shopping for a CA63, but the local dealer is asking for an outrageous price and refuse to negotiate. So I've been contemplating buying an MP10 online and building a cabinet for it as well.

Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Ok. After taking the internal speaker idea into consideration and changing the bottom, I'm finished with the design. It's not too different from what I had originally. I changed the bottom because what's the point of having an unused box space under the keyboard? Just more weight which isn't necessary. The weather is going to be crappy for the next few days so I might have to wait. I really don't want to cut this stuff indoors. MDF is extra dusty. I might just hang some cloth sheets all around the garage in a "Dexter kill room" sort of way to try and trap as much of it as I can. Here's what I've got...
The aspect and dimensions on the computer drawings are a bit off but good enough for working idea. I was messing around this morning with an old paint shop pro 7 program and I'm not the most skilled at using it. Thanks again for the speaker idea. I think that'll be a nice touch.

-Zuul

Wishing it'll stay nice outside for a few days.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thank you. Yeah, I doubt I'll be using the Casio forever. But it's good to learn with. Weighted keys, full 88. It's about L-53" W-11" H-5.5" The measurements I'm working with are 60"x20"x8" for the keyboard area. I've checked a bunch of different models online and I'm pretty sure I shouldn't run into any problems when upgrading. I completely agree with you on the importance of a nice lid. It's the main thing I've been stuck on with my drawings. At one point I was going to set it up using drawer rail slides so that the front flipped up and the whole thing slid into the cabinet body. But I've got this idea using 2 hinges that I think should work well enough. I'm working a new sketch right now that shows my intentions. Should be able to post it later.

Thanks again.
-Z

Hey, it's a DP right, who needs "traditional" lids? Why not have the entire keyboard flip down and or slide into the body? That'd be cool. Maybe even replace the entire electronics by sliding out the entire keybed and replacing it with another?

How about a space for an LCD display? Depending on how you finish it out, you can go with a smoked glass face to the display behind it, so when it's not on, you can't tell the monitor is back there (much cooler than a sliding door, ala player pianos).

Also, to echo what someone else mentioned, be sure you have a solid mount for your pedals, you'll regret it if you don't have it as you get more advanced.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Have you seen a Korg LP350. That is a very compact way to build a cabinet with a key cover. It would also be easy to build.

About attaching pedals: notice almost all of them have screws on the bottom that hold on a cover plate. Replace the cover with something much wider that can connect two or three pedals and then that connects to a crossbeam.

I'm still wondering why you would use MDF?

Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I chose MDF because it's very clean and easy to work with. It's not really all that much heavier than plywood. Maybe about 10-15 lbs per sheet of the same thickness. Plywood is a @!$#% when it comes to warping and stuff like that, from my experience. I might've just had cheap plywood? With my having to cut some pieces 3" x 58.5" I tried to imagine what a pain it would be to keep plywood from getting wonky and figured MDF was the way to go. Besides, if it doesn't work out well enough I'll have learned something and I'll just try again. haha

-Z

Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
ChrisA,

I've not seen that Korg but I'd planned on making something like that just after I bought the keyboard. I don't like not having a strong structure covering it. I've been using a homemade cover but it's still not keeping it as safe as something with a lid. I just think a nice cabinet would be cool to build/have. MDF just seemed like the way to go for me. I've never used it before. It's the material most folks use for arcades but I opted for plywood. Mainly because it's cheaper. Only by about $12 or so. haha Figured it was as good of a time as ever to try something new. As for pedals, right now I'm using an M-Audio SP-2. I plan on cutting a notch in the center of the middle brace to give me room for the pedal. If/when I get something new I'll just adjust whatever needs to be changed to accommodate the new gear. Should be minimal whatever the case my be. It'll be a long while before I come to that bridge. The CDP-100 will be more than enough for me for years.

-Z

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission