2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Mark_C
But anyway it sure looked like you meant other than when there can be a page turner.
Yes, I think I got the impression that's what he meant, but I said all the performance-related things because they're useful anyway. Also, if you are going to perform something with the music, you might as well be practising your page turns the way you'll be doing them!

Du holde Kunst...
T
T
Sometimes it just helps to pencil in the next bar or two of the piece after the last bar of a page as an aid to covering the turn.. I have seen older organ music with the next bar from over the page conveinently printed at the end of the RH page in smaller notes. Or if the page turn is inconveniently not too far before the last bar, pencil in the last bars at the start of the next LH page. But if all else fails, memorize or use MarkH's photocopying suggestions!

A perennially hopeful amateur!
Pianos: Boston GP178,
Currently attempting: Bach: WTC I/1,5;II/12; Chopin Polonaise in A; Etude 10/5; Brahms Op 118 No 2 Intermezzo in D; Scarlatti Sonata L23.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
How do I cope? I end up ripping a lot of them out, especially for collaborative. It's bad because most times it's not even my own copy of the score! I'm one of those "grab" page turners (when I turn for myself), so a lot of the pages are crumbled up and/or ripped. Even so, I mostly prefer to NOT use a page turner.. After a while, you just kind of develop a habit and turn very, VERY quickly (hence why I think grabbing works better, instead of reaching for the bottom corner of the page - no time for such things!)

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by currawong

Reminds me of the story Gerald Moore tells where he'd instructed his page turner to turn when he nodded. After the (disastrous) performance he asked "why didn't you turn when I nodded?" and the hapless turner said "but you were nodding all the time !"

I remember reading that!

Moore also relates a story wherein he was accompanying F-D in a Schubert cycle. During rehearsals he was able to manage the page turns just fine, but at the performance a page that had always behaved itself suddenly started to turn itself. (Wind currents in the hall?) Moore resorted to blowing on it to keep it in place... well things went from bad to worse.

This has happened to me also. I guess I didn't quite have enough hot air -some members here would dispute that- to keep that page in place. Most distressing. laugh

Jason

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by MathTeacher
Originally Posted by carey
It's interesting that no one so far has mentioned getting someone to turn the pages for you. I guess no one wants to volunteer to do that.

As for volunteering to turn pages - some of the most interesting "on stage" experiences I ever had were as a page turner for pianists performing chamber music - both students to professionals. In order to do this well you need to have excellent reading skills and eyesight and the ability to stay focused. grin

You can get your baby brother to turn pages for you. All you need to do is say "Now!" But I guess he has better things to do.

In a performance I preferred to have a page turner who could actually read music, follow the score as I played, anticipate when the page should be turned, and stay out of my space until it was time to turn the page. Your basic non-musician baby brother just wouldn't fit that bill. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Practice. I practice page turns just as carefully as I practice an unavoidable oddball fingering. I figure out the very best place to turn, what hand to use, and sometimes even what fingers to use and where to grab the page. I then practice, practice, practice as many times as necessary.

I sometimes photocopy the best place to turn, and tape it in place at the turn. This has the additional advantage of making a handy little thing to grab onto.

I have tried memorization of page turn passages, but I tend to panic in a memory clutch, and this upsets everything. I don't depend on it.

Page turners are unpredictable. They cause me to panic too.

Practice is the key for me.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

i practice and plan page turns carefully, but never rely on myself to turn during 'services'. I always make copies.. I've had music blow away and eeek.. sometimes I'll write in the next few notes or chords on the page before I turn if I can't make it in time.

If the score is over 5 pages, I'll reduce some of the music and comfortably creat a readable score.. cutting and pasting literally. I play at a place where they give me the music 10 minutes before a service. There I put plastic clothespins after the page turn. It is easy for me to turn and I don't have to worry about crumpling up the pages of their music.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
R
R
Victor Borge would just grab a page, crumple it up, and toss it behind.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's interesting that no one so far has mentioned getting someone to turn the pages for you. I guess no one wants to volunteer to do that.

I was asked to turn pages for concert probably over 20 years ago and I would have earned $50. I had other plans that evening, probably a job, but it would have been interesting.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
For the past couple years, I've asked one of my students to turn pages for me. It has usually worked out quite well. If he wasn't available then I'd ask a volunteer that I knew would be in attendance and that could read music. For my next symphony appearance one of the 'cellists volunteered, since the piece is scored for piano and winds only.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
I have resorted to computer software and a foot pedal for turning the pages. How you do you feel about the constant necessity to interrupt your playing and turn the pages? Have you developed any special way to deal with this problem that has plagued musicians since the dawn of time?

I am occasionally using my iPad as a reader with PDF public domain sheet music. Rather than using page turning software, I've been using the iBook reader and turning the page with the quick of my finger on the touch screen. It is only a partially satisfactory solution, however. The majority of my music is in large books, or large pieces of sheet music.

I am curious as to how well the foot pedal works for you in page turning.

Carl

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by griffin2417
I have resorted to computer software and a foot pedal for turning the pages. How you do you feel about the constant necessity to interrupt your playing and turn the pages? Have you developed any special way to deal with this problem that has plagued musicians since the dawn of time?

I am occasionally using my iPad as a reader with PDF public domain sheet music. Rather than using page turning software, I've been using the iBook reader and turning the page with the quick of my finger on the touch screen. It is only a partially satisfactory solution, however. The majority of my music is in large books, or large pieces of sheet music.

I am curious as to how well the foot pedal works for you in page turning.

By using a foot pedal, I am 100% uninterrupted in playing the music. I don't have to lift my hand off the piano for a nanosecond. Of course, my other foot can still use the sustain pedal. As for music scores that are not in PDF format, it only takes a few minutes to scan one into PDF format. But I can see the problem if you have books upon books of scores that are not in PDF format.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
How do I cope? One day at a time.

Actually, I've been considering purchasing an USB foot switch such as the one pictured below. Otherwise, I look for a spot that has a hand free for a moment and memorize those measures first.

[Linked Image]

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Damon

Actually, I've been considering purchasing an USB foot switch such as the one pictured below. Otherwise, I look for a spot that has a hand free for a moment and memorize those measures first.

[Linked Image]

Hey that's exactly the one that I have. Except mine is much dirtier, thanks to my foot.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I know some people who are extremely adept at turning pages while playing. However, I am not super quick about it, so sometimes I find it necessary to leave out a note or two. I make sure I use the hand that has the largest space between notes or the least important ones so that if I leave out notes it won't be very many or very obvious. It is also helpful to memorize the measure before and after the page turn so that you can keep playing while the page is turning.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
There are many ingenious solutions. Once I had a rubber stamp made with two staves on it. I'd stamp the staves onto a Post-It, then write a few "over-the-page" notes on it and affix the sticky part to the bottom edge of a RH score page. It wasn't permanent and provided a convenient "handle" for turning as well.

Another solution: Use single-sided copies and slide pages right to left. There's almost always space somewhere in a page to slide the page, or even two if necessary. I mark "Turn" at that spot (even though it's really sliding).

For accompanying, there are clever ways of arranging pages. Often recopying to make right pages left and vice versa eliminates problems. Binders help. Creating flyleaves helps....here tape is your friend, especially removable tape in event of taping mistakes.

F
F

Maybe I was just unlucky, but my experience of getting someone to page turn is pretty terrifying. I used to get a page turner who always page turn from the bottom right hand corner (which COMPLETELY blocked the music I need to read). She even laid her arms on the fallboard when she was preparing for a page turn - the fallboard was on the edge of falling onto my hand. I even stopped momentarily in the middle of my performance because of the heart attack she gave me...

I am scared of page turners since then.

The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides! - Schnabel
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

[Linked Image]

Hey that's exactly the one that I have. Except mine is much dirtier, thanks to my foot.

How do you like it? (would you buy it again if you had to choose all over?)

M
OP Offline
M

[Linked Image]

It is the best solution I have for turning pages. It is only about $50, and the software (MusicReader) is also about the same price. I only wish I could use it outside my home too.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

[Linked Image]

It is the best solution I have for turning pages. It is only about $50, and the software (MusicReader) is also about the same price. I only wish I could use it outside my home too.

Was the 'musicreader' software needed? I was under the impression the device could be mapped to the arrow keys. I was going to use it with a PDF reader that I already have.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission