2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Smallpiano #1645758 03/22/11 10:20 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Smallpiano
Update about angry mom.
...Finally she gave me a two weeks notice to terminate lesson...

Free at last!

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
Smallpiano #1647050 03/24/11 08:27 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Not everybody is numerate enough to do the math that installment billing entails. Sad but true. In the UK, this kind of billing is unusual for any kind of service, let alone music lessons. Even if people actually read your contract, you can't be sure they have the math skills to intepret it smirk

kevinb #1647056 03/24/11 08:40 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by kevinb
Not everybody is numerate enough to do the math that installment billing entails. Sad but true. In the UK, this kind of billing is unusual for any kind of service, let alone music lessons. Even if people actually read your contract, you can't be sure they have the math skills to intepret it smirk

This is very true. I found myself explaining it several times to some people. They never asked of course, when they got 5 lessons and it seemed as though they were only paying for 4, but when they got only 3 in the month and their rate didn't go down, then questions sprang up. eek

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #1647234 03/24/11 02:20 PM
H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Based upon what I have seen in this thread, the angry mom will be angry regardless of what you do or accomodations that you try to make. Sadly, you are probably better off without her.

One accomodation that you could make, if you wanted, is to allow one or more students to pay by the lesson. Calculate the average cost per lesson (annual fees divided by 48), then charge 10 or 15% more for each individual lesson. For example, if you charged $960 per year for 48 lessons, (average of $20 per lesson), charge $25 for each lesson, payable in advance in cash. Each week, collect the payment for the following week. Recitals, parties, etc., would also be billed by the event. Pretty soon students and parents would be asking for a simplified system, which is what you already have.

Hop

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130
Hop #1647309 03/24/11 04:48 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Hop
Recitals, parties, etc., would also be billed by the event. Pretty soon students and parents would be asking for a simplified system, which is what you already have.

Maybe. And then again, maybe not. If people _perceive_ a billing system as inequitable -- even if it really isn't -- they won't necessarily be persuaded otherwise by convenience.

Oddly, it's not the amount of money apparently lost that's the problem in my experience -- it's people's unwillingness to think somebody has got the better of them, even for pennies.

I think the only solution is patient, thorough, and possibly repeated explanations. You could even point out that you'll be able to keep your prices down for longer because you'll spend less time banking. But, as I said before, if people lack the math skills to understand that the fluctuating mumber of lessons in a month doesn't lead to inequity, it's always going to be a struggle.

kevinb #1647691 03/25/11 09:15 AM
H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
[quote=kevinbMaybe. And then again, maybe not. If people _perceive_ a billing system as inequitable -- even if it really isn't -- they won't necessarily be persuaded otherwise by convenience.

Oddly, it's not the amount of money apparently lost that's the problem in my experience -- it's people's unwillingness to think somebody has got the better of them, even for pennies...if people lack the math skills to understand that the fluctuating mumber of lessons in a month doesn't lead to inequity, it's always going to be a struggle.
[/quote]

Good point. How about this: pick a period of time (a quarter of a year, a semester, a year, etc.. Count the number of lessons, divide it into the amount you charge for that period of time, and establish a rate for each lesson. Let's say its $25 per lesson, based on 48 lessons per year. Then explain to your students that while you normally bill by the year, you will accept monthly (or quarterly, or semester) payments instead without any penalties or interest.

Of course, there are going to be some people who are unhappy no matter what you do, so you might as well accept that as a fact of life.

Hop

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130
Hop #1647830 03/25/11 01:48 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hop
Of course, there are going to be some people who are unhappy no matter what you do, so you might as well accept that as a fact of life.

However, as a private piano teacher, you do have the option of not working with these unhappy people.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Smallpiano #1648138 03/26/11 12:53 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Why you most teachers just make thing complicated, like a mechanic trying to hide fee. Just make a calendar showing the teaching schedule, and charge them based on the number of lesson. Nothing is hidden. For any reason piano teachers love to play this kind of game. Thanks God that my piano teacher is straight forward. No signing of policy etc.

The process is:
I come, I take lesson, and I pay....that is it.

Smallpiano #1648155 03/26/11 02:07 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ronald:

First of all signing a policy means that the teacher gets protected. It's a freelancer's job and this kind of thing is needed.

Then it's the simple matter that with your idea, the student (or parent) will think that they are paying only the lessons they receive which shouldn't be the case. If a slot is booked in my weekly calendar this means that I won't be booking another student there. If the student decides not to show up, I still need to get paid, becuase I could have another student who is coming normally.

Then it's the hussle of having different fees every month. This is getting tedious for quite a few parents here: A month it's 150$, then it's 210$, then it's 180$ and I don't know what. A home needs to organise, as well as the teacher.

After all since exams are yearly, we tend to charge yearly: A flat fee for the year. However they want to pay it is fine, but in the end it's a yearly fee we are charging, rather than a lesson fee.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Why you most teachers just make thing complicated, like a mechanic trying to hide fee.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I know what you mean about those mechanics! There's a reason why I stopped taking my car back to the dealership to fix anything. You bring the car in for one problem, and they find seven others.

But, come on, piano teachers are not trying to rip anyone off here. Give us some credit, please.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Smallpiano #1648178 03/26/11 04:31 AM
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
To solve the issue of the 'math-illiterate,' I actually write out a calendar page.

It shows the dates of the year, what lessons are held on which days, etc etc etc. Then it explains how many lessons there are and which months they receive only 3 or the ones where they receive 5.

So far, two people have complained. I simply took out the calendar again, showed them what they agreed to and how I figured it out (which I explain to before they sign anyway, but hey, what are you gonna do), and then that problem is solved.

@Hop: your system defeats the whole purpose.

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway

The process is:
I come, I take lesson, and I pay....that is it.

For the kind of reasons I've alluded to, this remains very much the normal practice in the UK. Not just for music tuition, but for all kinds of private tuition. Where we pay for more than one session, it's nearly always school terms or half terms, and we work out the number of weeks in the term or half-term and multiple by the hourly rate. Any other expenses (books, exams, etc) are billed separately.

The one exception I can think of is my son's karate teacher, who has announced that he will be charging a monthly flat rate based on so-many teaching hours per year. So far everybody seems happy enough, but I predict that it won't be long before somebody realizes that there's only two teaching weeks in December and then there will be a fuss. I think I'm the only customer who's taken a calculator and worked out what the hourly rate comes to.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission