2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
What about laundry service? Will there be an opportunity during the tour for those that want to send out their clothes to get cleaned? Or is it use the sink in the hotel room?

[Linked Image]
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Good questions folks, I'm going to ask Elle to help with the answers.
I'm on the road right now, but back in my office tomorrow.

I'd like to pull together a master list that answers as many questions as possible, about such things as:

Baggage Limits

Laundry Facilities

Cell Phone Usage (roaming, international, etc.)

Hi Speed Internet Connections

Airport Fees (I heard that in London they require cash for a "departure" fee?).

Visa - Do U.S. Citizens need one anywhere?

How about our friends coming in from Canada, Australia, U.K., etc.

Euros - Should we convert some cash to Euros?

Kathy and I haven't booked our flights yet. Better to wait a while, or do it now?

And I'm still hoping we may pick up some more tour participants. One more would put us in the bracket to save over $500.00 each. If you know anybody who you think would enjoy this unique tour, please tell them to join us now!

Anyway, back to the thoughts at hand.
I will email Elle when I get back in the office, but don't forget you are all welcome to contact her anytime you have questions about our tour (and of course you're welcome to contact me).

Getting more excited every day.

And as some of you know, I'm combining the tour with getting my new piano (we are going to build the travel into our tour trip).

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I plan on using a small bag and after rolling up clothes, using some of those 'squeeze out the air' plastic bags to help condense the volume. Also layering what I am wearing on the plane!

Another soft light tote to carry my purse, laptop (if I bring it - I would rather not), cameras, small umbrella, book, magazines etc.

I don't want to check luggage.

And you?

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
G
G
I'm not on the trip but just a quick "heads-up" regarding international air travel & carry-on luggage. Please check with your airline regarding carry-on size. Some carriers are more strict than others. Another factor is if you're traveling coach, business, first-class. We've had the same carry-on be accepted by British Air but rejected by Air France. Air France was extremely strict, it had to fit completely within their "box", the wheels stuck out & they rejected it. Have fun!!!!

Last edited by Greyhound; 03/21/11 07:04 PM. Reason: typo

Enjoy life...this is not a dress rehearsal.
I have never encountered airport fees of any sort in London, other than what was already charged in the ticket price. Maybe there are certain circumstances where it isn't included and has to be paid separately?

Just as a side topic, London Heathrow is one of the least favored airports amongst frequent travelers, along with Charles Du Gaul in Paris.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
And from Elle, our travel agent in Germany...

To the questions on the forum: I took a look and this is what I'd suggest-

Please post there that there will be a detailed final letter covering all questions.
Based on my experience with groups (and I book quite few in the past) this is the best way to cover everything.
I usually collect all the questions and approx. 5-4
weeks before departure send out a loooooong letter with all instructions.

Otherwise I will answer the same questions several times and some of them
still won't be covered and some people will not get the answers.

This is because not everybody is checking the forum on a regular basis and will miss the answers. It was great of you to summarize what people are asking. I have
copied the questions into the sheet where I've been already collecting them.

Please let them know that all of them will be covered in the final letter.

Thank you for your help Frank!

Best,

Elle

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

For those not on Facebook, Robin Meloy Goldsby announced the German edition of her new book which is not available in English until May. The title translated is something like "Waltz of the Asparagus Humans". I asked if I could get it signed if I managed to get one before we leave for Germany. She replied not to schlepp one over that she would have some available for the Pianoworld Tour!

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Good point Agilita, thanks for the post.

And yes, it is Waltz of the Asparagus People.

I was lucky enough to get an advance copy (manuscript, not finished book).

Robin has done it again.

The book is a hilarious, one of those rare books that makes you
laugh out loud, a lot.

By all means buy one while we are in Germany and get it signed by the author.
Then save it for the plane ride home :-)

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I found out we have someone else seriously interested in joining us for the tour. I thought I'd share with you the note I sent her, in case you were thinking of jumping on board....

Elle shared with me the exciting news that you are interested in joining us on the European Piano Tour!

The tour is going to be so much fun!

We are going to travel through some of the most beautiful and historic places Germany and Austria have to offer.

The piano factory tours are going to be a wonderful experience, learning firsthand how some of Europe's finest pianos
are crafted, right from the people who build them. At Blüthner Herr Christian Blüthner himself will be conducting the tour,
and at Steingraeber Herr Udo Steingraeber will show us their shop. We are starting the tour off with a visit to the Steinway Piano Factory in Hamburg, and will wind up on the other end with a tour of the Bosendorfer Piano Factory in Vienna.

Then there are the music museums, hand picked because they contain amazing pianos, some over 200 years old (along with other incredible historical instruments).

And of course we will be visiting composer's homes, cathedrals, and castles.
Even the hotels we will be staying at are classic, as are a number of the restaurants we will be dining at.

A special treat will be meeting and hearing Robin Meloy Goldsby (author of The Piano Girl) play. She has promised to have copies of her
new book Waltz of the Asparagus People available when we visit, and will be happy to sign copies for us.

Then there is the sheer beauty of the towns and cities, and the people in them. I've a feeling a lot of pictures will be taken on this trip :-)

Once you arrive in Hamburg, the rest of the tour is taken care of. We will be traveling in a modern tour bus with rest room and fridge (and a/c).
Guided by our on board English speaking tour guide as we are all whisked from one enchanted town to another.

Breakfast and dinner are included each day so you won't have to wonder where to eat (although you of course don't have to eat with us if you choose).

This will be a magical trip, one that will give you a lifetime of memories.

I hope you decide to be part of the Piano World Piano & Music Lovers European Tour!

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
For personal happiness, most seasoned travelers recommend traveling light.
"Take half the clothes and twice the money" is the way some have put it.

A year ago January, my wife & I were on a 2.5 week trip to Thailand with stopovers both ways in Korea. (And it was cold in Korea!) One wheeled carry-on and one small daypack were sufficient for us.

There are traveler sites on the internet that provide suggestions on how to do this.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kpembrook
For personal happiness, most seasoned travelers recommend traveling light.
"Take half the clothes and twice the money" is the way some have put it.

A year ago January, my wife & I were on a 2.5 week trip to Thailand with stopovers both ways in Korea. (And it was cold in Korea!) One wheeled carry-on and one small daypack were sufficient for us.

There are traveler sites on the internet that provide suggestions on how to do this.

My sister and her husband travel like that.

I on the other hand tend to reverse the adage.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A while back the Times had an article on how to pack like a pro. The main advice was to adopt the "roll your clothes up rather than fold and stack them" technique. I was initially skeptical that (a) it would save much space and (b) keep your clothes less wrinkled, but after using that method for all my trips since then, I'm a convert.

Here's a photo slide show from the article showing how a flight attendant gets 10 days' worth of clothes in a carry-on.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
A while back the Times had an article on how to pack like a pro. The main advice was to adopt the "roll your clothes up rather than fold and stack them" technique. I was initially skeptical that (a) it would save much space and (b) keep your clothes less wrinkled, but after using that method for all my trips since then, I'm a convert.

Here's a photo slide show from the article showing how a flight attendant gets 10 days' worth of clothes in a carry-on.

I'm really good at packing and I tend to travel light - I read up on the roll rather than fold technique but it didn't work well for me. the technique I saw though was to roll your clothes together - which was a pain when you wanted to get a specific item out of the rolled bundle. This woman's idea looks like it could work quite well.

I have been following the COUNT DOWN at the top of the forums - you guys must be getting really excited about your big trip!
Heck, I'M excited.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

My friend who travels to Germany frequently tells me that she always brings back bottles of wine in her suitcase. She said that she just packs her clothes around them and they're always fine. Thought I'd pass that along although I'm a little leary of trying it. I have visions of going to the baggage pick-up and having a dripping suitcase.

Thanks to all for the packing suggestions. (Monica, thanks for posting-I haven't had time to watch the video but will.)

Bottles of wine in the suitcase? I wouldn't try it. I have had four suitcases destroyed by airport handlers. Too much risk of breaking. There is also a limit on how much alcohol one can import from one country to the next.

I believe most german wines don't travel or age well and are usually enjoyed rather new. California wines are so much nicer.

Austria is famous for schnaps, particularly Marillenschnaps/apricot schnaps but can be a whole variety of fruits and even almonds. They tend to be pretty strong though.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
One thing we've discovered while pricing flights, if you haven't already tried this...

It's cheaper to set up with round trip and a one way versus a three point trip.
In other words, it's cheaper to set up round trip to/from Hamburg and a one way from Vienna back to Hamburg than it is to set up all three points as one trip.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
We have a 20th person seriously interested in the tour, but there is a slight catch.
I've sent an email to everyone who has signed up, please read it and get back to me as soon as possible.

The countdown clock shows only 68 days left!

Yikes!

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

Did anyone else read "Twist and Stout" about Hamburg in last weekend's NYT travel mag:

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/twist-and-stout/

Evidently our hotel will be near the area where the Beatles hung out in the 60s. And there's a music store there (the article has a picture of a T-shirt in a music store). The article also mentions that Hamburg was Brahms birthplace. His birthplace was evidently destroyed in WW II but I checked online and there's a Brahms museum in Hamburg. Now to figure out if it's anywhere near the hotel.

Edit, correcting typo.

Last edited by Agilita; 03/30/11 02:30 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Interesting.

Just don't forget we are already visiting a number of museums and composer's homes :-)
A partial list from our itinerary...

Morning visit to Beethoven museum

Mendelsohn Museum, Music Instruments Museum

Germanisches National Museum

Morning visit to Wagner and Liszt Museum

Morning visit to the Deutsches Museum

visit the Mozart Haus, the birthplace of Mozart

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

I would love to go see the Brahms museum!!! Also Beethoven's funeral markers- and the statues of Beethoven!!!!

qtpi
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission