2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1646696 03/23/11 05:49 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I will have to say bye to my teacher in about 3 months. I am now thinking of preparing something memorable for him before I go. Do you think these are too much??

1. (I probably can't do it) Compose a piece dedicated to him and play it during my last lesson
2. (alternative to no. 1) Learn a piece about farewell by myself without letting him know. Play it for my last lesson
3. a gift
4. a thank you letter/card

Plus, I don't know what to prepare for my secret repertoire and my gift. So please do give me some suggestions smile

I don't want to leave him frown frown cry

Last edited by feebee_liszt; 03/23/11 05:50 PM.

The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides! - Schnabel
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Why do you have to leave him? frown frown

A card is always a nice gift, as simple as it is... smile And maybe you could play Schubert's Farewell (Abschied) (if you can sing, you could even sing it).

PS: I know how it is. I always hated to leave teachers I loved. cry

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How about recording a video of yourself (maybe your most polished piece, or the one you're most proud of) and put it up on youtube -- something you and your teacher had worked on together?

To me its like a musical photograph, something s/he can look back upon with hopefully fond memories. I think your teacher will have a sense of gratitude knowing s/he had something to do with your fine performance and development.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

A card is always a nice gift, as simple as it is... smile And maybe you could play Schubert's Farewell (Abschied) (if you can sing, you could even sing it).

frown
It is because I am going to music college after this school year. It really should be a happy thing - he helped me to achieve what I thought was impossible. Having lessons with him is always the most enjoyable thing in the world.

The Schubert (I looked at the transcription to piano by Liszt) is a little bit too hard (After all, I need to learn it without my teacher's help). But I have come up to some random ideas
- Chopin Impromptu Op. 29 No. 1 in Ab major
- Chopin Nocturne in C# minor, posthumous
- A selections of 2-3 pieces from Mendelssohn Songs without words

The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides! - Schnabel
K
K
Originally Posted by feebee_liszt
It really should be a happy thing - he helped me to achieve what I thought was impossible. Having lessons with him is always the most enjoyable thing in the world.

Write this in a card to him. It will mean to world to him! Preparing a piece for him is a very thoughtful idea as well.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M

frown
It is because I am going to music college after this school year. It really should be a happy thing - he helped me to achieve what I thought was impossible. Having lessons with him is always the most enjoyable thing in the world.

The Schubert (I looked at the transcription to piano by Liszt) is a little bit too hard (After all, I need to learn it without my teacher's help). But I have come up to some random ideas

Who is his favorite composer? I would think one of the Chopin ones would be good (dont' know a pianist who doesn't like Chopin!), but really a card would mean a lot to him too.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
Do a combination of a Card with something nice written like kissyana suggested AND

options:

1) Recorded Music: some jazz maybe, I gave a CD of Diana Krall to my teacher and she really loved it

2) Written music with your note on the first page

3) A nice thing to put over the piano, for example something like this:
http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/Upright_39103.html
http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/4_5C1.html
http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/PencilSharpener_3001.html
http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/420005_MT.html

Good luck !

Last edited by Jose Hidalgo; 03/24/11 11:46 AM.
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Akira
How about recording a video of yourself (maybe your most polished piece, or the one you're most proud of) and put it up on youtube -- something you and your teacher had worked on together?

To me its like a musical photograph, something s/he can look back upon with hopefully fond memories. I think your teacher will have a sense of gratitude knowing s/he had something to do with your fine performance and development.

Thanks. Maybe I will surprise him by giving him the link of my youtube channel on my signature smile

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Morodiene

frown

Who is his favorite composer? I would think one of the Chopin ones would be good (dont' know a pianist who doesn't like Chopin!), but really a card would mean a lot to him too.

I have just found out his favourite pieces through his friends - beethoven waldstein, chopin barcarolle, b minor sonata - too hard for me to learn in 3 months. I will just concentrate on my current repertoire frown

But I have just started writing a piece for him and have gone to about 50 bars. It sounds awful but hope he doesn't mind.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think that is a wonderful and thoughtful idea.

A peronsalized gift from the heart, such as a song you wrote for him, will be appreciated a thousands times more than any store-bought gift. Doesn't mind if it sounds awful -- it "really is" the thought that counts the most.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am sure it doesn't sound awful at all and that he will be proud of you. I would be very moved if someone wrote a piece for me. smile

Is this waltz by Chopin in your repertoire? It is called L'Adieu too, so maybe it is appropriate.

I kept in touch with some of my teachers. I even got birthday wishes from one the other day!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Buy him a nice two set hardcover Beethoven Sonata from Henle Urtext, and write that you really appreciate all his teaching blah...blah....blah....Don't just give a card, it is not mean too much. Give something good....If you really like him as a teacher, you want to give something meaningful.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Don't just give a card, it is not mean too much. Give something good....If you really like him as a teacher, you want to give something meaningful.
And don't you think sincere words written with gratitude are meaningful?

If I were the teacher I'd love the hardback Henle Beethoven, of course (though it would set you back nearly two hundred dollars here!) - but perhaps he already has it.

PS I love the writing him a piece idea!

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Don't just give a card, it is not mean too much. Give something good....If you really like him as a teacher, you want to give something meaningful.
And don't you think sincere words written with gratitude are meaningful?

If I were the teacher I'd love the hardback Henle Beethoven, of course (though it would set you back nearly two hundred dollars here!) - but perhaps he already has it.

PS I love the writing him a piece idea!

Nope...everybody can write nice words! But the willingness to give or spend on something is the sign of deep gratitude, and appreciation.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Nope...everybody can write nice words! But the willingness to give or spend on something is the sign of deep gratitude.
I would have said anyone can spend money on a fancy gift, but taking the time to think and frame a sincere written message is a sign of deep gratitude. smile

Of course either, neither or both can be a sign of deep gratitude. It depends on the attitude of the giver.

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nope...everybody can write nice words! But the willingness to give or spend on something is the sign of deep gratitude.
I would have said anyone can spend money on a fancy gift, but taking the time to think and frame a sincere written message is a sign of deep gratitude. smile

Of course either, neither or both can be a sign of deep gratitude. It depends on the attitude of the giver.

Go to a market spend $2 for a card and write blah...blah...blah.
Go to the internet and spend $100 on whatever hard cover Henle Urtext....Which one is the bigger sacrifice? Lip service is easy...real sacrifice (spending serious money) is not....only when the receiver means a lot that people want to sacrifice.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Which one is the bigger sacrifice? Lip service is easy...real sacrifice (spending serious money) is not....only when the receiver means a lot that people want to sacrifice.
There are plenty of other reasons for people to spend big on a farewell gift - guilt, feeling of obligation, desire to look good or generous etc. Pity about anyone who can't afford an expensive gift if that's the only way to truly show gratitude.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like I'll convince you, so I'll just say again: Either, neither or both can be a sign of deep gratitude. It all depends on the attitude of the giver.

I personally would rather have sincere words on a card than an expensive present bought out of a sense of obligation.

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I personally would rather have sincere words on a card than an expensive present bought out of a sense of obligation.

Me too... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

Me too... smile

Me three!

Actually, I'd love to have my student write me a piece of music and perform it for me. That will speak louder than any Henle Urtext volume. I have all the Henles that I need, and then some.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
F
OP Offline
F
I am sure it doesn't sound awful at all and that he will be proud of you. I would be very moved if someone wrote a piece for me. smile

Is this waltz by Chopin in your repertoire? It is called L'Adieu too, so maybe it is appropriate.

I kept in touch with some of my teachers. I even got birthday wishes from one the other day!

It is really a GREAT one! Thanks, I am going to learn this one smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission