2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1646904 03/24/11 12:06 AM
Josh_P Offline OP
OP Offline
I came a little early to one of my lessons and a younger student was playing a Haydn sonata I had done a few years ago. After the lesson I was fooling around with the music that was left on the desk. Apparently I still had it in my fingers. So anyway my teacher comes in and says, "That's Haydn sonata no 7. Remember it?" ... The piece was really pretty in D major.

Coming home I looked up the piece in my Wiener urtext edition. No 7 in my book was in C major. After some searching, I found it under number 17. They were the same editions, Wiener, except hers I believe was an older edition. Anyways I realize that different books refer to different piano sonata's by the same numbers. Does anyone know why they do this? To me this seems confusing because I don't always remember the Hob but I usually remember the piano sonata number. It just seems that it is outrageous that when you talk about one piece like the beethoven sonata's, everybody knows what you are talking about when you say number 18 or 32, (The Hunt or The op. 111) but with the Haydn not really unless you are using the exact same books. Maybe there should be nicknames for most of them like in Beethoven.

Last edited by Josh_P; 03/24/11 12:09 AM.

Working On:
Beethoven-32 Variations in C minor
Beethoven- Opus 109
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The Hob. numbers refer to the catalogue of Haydn's works by Hoboken. These are the most common. There are 52 listed.

However, the musicologist Christa Landon created a new listing that put the sonatas in a more chronological order and added room for newly discovered sonatas and sonatas that were referenced in Haydn's writings but have not yet been found. Landon's list contains 62 sonatas.

Landon's edition of the sonatas is published by Wiener Urtext and is considered by many to be the best edition currently available. Some other publishers have adopted that system, but Hoboken's numbering has stubbornly remained prevalent despite it's obsolescence.

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solo_piano_compositions_by_Joseph_Haydn

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Josh_P Offline OP
OP Offline
But both editions were Wiener. Why did Landon switch the numberings between editing's?

Working On:
Beethoven-32 Variations in C minor
Beethoven- Opus 109
Kreisler essentially explained it. You can't go by sonata "numbers" in Haydn very easily, unless you know exactly which system is being used and you're familiar with that system's numbering. People often talk about the numbers of those sonatas according to which number they are in a particular book that they have. There's a great sonata by Haydn which is "#1" in the first Haydn volume I ever got. Then I found out that it's usually called #52 (Hob., which I later learned meant Hoboken, which I still later learned had nothing to do with New Jersey). smile

And then I saw it called "#62" elsewhere. ha

And sometimes the Hob. number has a Roman numeral with it too. [Linked Image]

Cliff's Notes: I hardly go by numbers at all, when it comes to Haydn sonatas. I ask what key it's in, and I ask the person to hum a couple of bars. smile

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Mark_C
[...]
And sometimes the Hob. number has a Roman numeral with it too. [...]

The Hoboken numbers of Haydn's works are all preceded by a Roman numeral indicating the "category" into which the work falls.
For example :
Hoboken I = Symphonies
Hoboken III = String Quartets
Hoboken VII = Concertos for various instruments
and, of course,
Hoboken XVI = Piano Sonatas
Hoboken XXII = Masses
etc., etc.

So, all the Piano Sonatas in the Hoboken listing are preceded by XVI.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD
Hoboken XVI = Piano Sonatas

Thanks!

But I'm still going to have to use "what key?" and "hum a couple of bars." smile

BTW: In view of that, I'd argue that if someone is saying "piano sonata" and giving a Hoboken number, they should omit the Roman numeral because it's always XVI and mentioning it doesn't add any information. It only wastes ink.

But then again that's what I just did too.... ha

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Well, yes, I wasn't implying that the XVI number helped identify an individual Sonata. I was just adding, for those who don't know, that the Roman numerals themselves do have some significance in the cataloging of the Haydn Å“uvre.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
For the record, Beethoven's piano sonatas are usually referred these days by their opus numbers rather than say, No. 16 in G (unless they have nicknames like Pathetique etc). The reason is that Op.2/1 in F minor isn't his first piano sonata by any means, and some people consider one or two mid-period works (the Op.49 ones) to be sonatinas rather than 'proper sonatas'. So, how many piano sonatas Beethoven wrote is open to debate....

If music be the food of love, play on!
Originally Posted by Josh_P
But both editions were Wiener. Why did Landon switch the numberings between editing's?

Interesting! I'm not sure, but I know a guy I can ask. I'll check with him next time I see him.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Originally Posted by BruceD
Well, yes, I wasn't implying that the XVI number helped identify an individual Sonata. I was just adding, for those who don't know, that the Roman numerals themselves do have some significance in the cataloging of the Haydn Å“uvre.

I knew that, and I appreciated it!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission