Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
54 registered members (barbaram, aphexdisklavier, Chopin Acolyte, AlphaBravoCharlie, ando, ArturC, 12 invisible), 1,116 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1625918
02/22/11 01:14 PM
02/22/11 01:14 PM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
I know what you mean. I have a 2nd grade girl who comes to every lesson dressed as if she's going to perform in Carnegie Hall! It is really nice and shows great respect on the part of the parents. I always work extra hard with her, just because she lifts my spirits!

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1625967
02/22/11 02:28 PM
02/22/11 02:28 PM
CA
M
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Minniemay  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

CA
Last evening, my best high school student was a bit unfocused. Quite unusual for this guy. When I was on Facebook later, I saw his post that he now has a girlfriend (his first). He popped up a chat window saying, "Now you know why I was unfocused . . ." Ah, young love!

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Re: Little thoughts [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1625983
02/22/11 02:57 PM
02/22/11 02:57 PM
O
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Overexposed  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I know what you mean. I have a 2nd grade girl who comes to every lesson dressed as if she's going to perform in Carnegie Hall! It is really nice and shows great respect on the part of the parents. I always work extra hard with her, just because she lifts my spirits!

Yes, this child really did lift my spirits too. And the mother told me on facebook that her daughter loved being dressed up and "performing" on my baby grand piano.

This small occurrence was really uplifting at a time I needed some light heartedness. (I have been grieving over our 14 year old dog who was put down on Saturday...after a year of declining health...dealing with the guilt of the decision etc.)

Re: Little thoughts [Re: Minniemay] #1625985
02/22/11 02:59 PM
02/22/11 02:59 PM
O
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Overexposed  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

Originally Posted by Minniemay
Last evening, my best high school student was a bit unfocused. Quite unusual for this guy. When I was on Facebook later, I saw his post that he now has a girlfriend (his first). He popped up a chat window saying, "Now you know why I was unfocused . . ." Ah, young love!

I wonder if having a girlfriend could motivate your student to play beautifully...as a way to impress her. When my son started lessons (age 10) a neighbor told him that he "got two girlfriends in college" because they were impressed by his piano playing. smile

Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1626159
02/22/11 06:51 PM
02/22/11 06:51 PM
CA
M
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Minniemay  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

CA
Oh, he doesn't need motivation to play beautifully. He plays like a real artist. smile He just lost concentration.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Re: Little thoughts [Re: Minniemay] #1626495
02/23/11 09:01 AM
02/23/11 09:01 AM
O
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Overexposed  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

Originally Posted by Minniemay
Oh, he doesn't need motivation to play beautifully. He plays like a real artist. smile He just lost concentration.

Oops! And you even mentioned he was your best high school student. I goofed.

Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1629656
02/28/11 12:59 AM
02/28/11 12:59 AM
US
P
PianoKitty Offline
PianoKitty  Offline
P

US
Loving this thread!

Lollipop - I am so, so sorry about your kitty. I had to say goodbye to my precious kitty last year, and it was incredibly devastating. My students were very affected as well; I think they liked coming to see her more than they did me.

My contribution...so last week, as I was having a lesson with a 6-year-old boy I've had for a while, he said the word "stupid." I told him that I would prefer if he doesn't use that kind of language during lessons (I'm pretty strict on respect during lessons), and he said, "Oh, you mean words like stupid and crap and butt? My mom doesn't like me to say those either. That's why I say them at school." LOL!

Private Piano Instructor
Member, Music Teachers National Association (MTNA)
Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1630220
02/28/11 09:08 PM
02/28/11 09:08 PM
O
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Overexposed  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

I had a 6 year old student who brought me this hand written note:

"for Miss lastname

Dear Miss lastname, Mabye my
levels would be higher
than John's. If I don't
be goofy I might
get songs higher than
you exected. I might
be in level 1 in earl-
y April. if I don't be
goofy."

This is a child who has needed reminders about appropriate behavior...i.e not to grab my arm when I turn a page...not to shout at me etc. Lately she has really made effort to listen, and she's progressing very well. (She was my 4th student today and the only one so far who came well prepared.)

I just thought it was sweet that she write this note to me. And it shows her intention to behave and learn the best she can. smile

Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1630352
03/01/11 01:13 AM
03/01/11 01:13 AM
B
Brinestone Offline OP
Brinestone  Offline OP
B

One of my students has perfect pitch and very, very picky taste in music. I'm struggling to motivate him to learn to read music because he can play much cooler songs without ever glancing at a book. I just introduced him to a book of complete scores by Ben Folds Five, whom he'd never heard of (specifically the song "Narcolepsy). He loves it! He's actually looking at the music and practicing hard, and he came to his lesson saying he'd been listening to lots of Ben Folds stuff lately and had learned bits of five different songs by ear.

For the record, I'm strongly encouraging ear training, a strong foundation in theory, and even composition with this kid, in addition to reading music. He's not going to end up a concert pianist, but he very well may be in a band someday, and he might as well have a full toolkit for that. He understands that reading music is a valuable tool with this as his career goal.

Last edited by Brinestone; 03/01/11 01:16 AM.

Piano teacher since 2008, member of NFMC
Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1636915
03/08/11 08:54 PM
03/08/11 08:54 PM
O
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Overexposed  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

A 7 year old student told me yesterday "You don't have a real booster seat. You just use old junk from around the house." laugh

(I use a seat cushion that has a pouch for keeping keys/money and has a carrying handle...probably intended to use for ballgames. Also I use a large colorful floor mat (interlocking kind) cut in half and stacked.)

I had to laugh because these are items that my husband acquired years ago. They have been mostly unused, and now repurposed to be booster seats for the piano bench.

Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1645926
03/22/11 02:20 PM
03/22/11 02:20 PM
B
Brinestone Offline OP
Brinestone  Offline OP
B

I've talked a bit about my ear learner. Let's call him Ryan. Ryan has a very strong interest in oldies and has a very rock 'n' roll vibe. He is learning guitar and piano, and has taken drum lessons. He has an interest in learning didgeridoo as well, among other instruments. Funky and groovy are good words for this kid. He has perfect pitch and good aural memory, so he picks up songs he hears after only a few listens.

I have encouraged him to develop his gift by helping him to take licks from songs he picks up and expand them into full songs. I've taught the circle of fifths, common chord progressions, and I'm starting to teach left hand patterns. Still, I've been somewhat at a loss as to how to teach him to read music. The trouble is, he doesn't want to read anything he doesn't love to play, and he doesn't love to play anything he can read.

I have a Ben Folds Five book, and I realized that "Narcolepsy" is actually pretty easy to play. He took to it right away, and now he's a big Ben Folds fan. He talks about him, as well as about new Ben Folds songs he's learned, at each lesson. Which kind of undermines my efforts to give him music he hasn't heard before, but it's really fun to introduce a student to something that really gets him excited. And he's working harder than I've ever seen him do. smile

Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1646436
03/23/11 10:33 AM
03/23/11 10:33 AM
K
Klavierspielen Offline
Klavierspielen  Offline
K

Sweetest 6-yr-old boy ever:

He was working on a part in his song, and I had him do the section 5 times. Afterward I said, "Good job - and your last one was your BEST one!"

He said, "I know! Because I practiced it the most. It's just like planting a seed. The longer you leave it in the ground and the more you water it, the more beautiful of a flower it becomes!"

Took the words right out of my heart.

(Of course, he's usually talking about his birthday, and his favorite basketball team, and his uncle and aunt's birthdays, and his neighbor's cat's birthday)....

Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1646449
03/23/11 10:56 AM
03/23/11 10:56 AM
Georgia
L
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lollipop  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Georgia
^^^Wonderful! Thanks, I needed that.

piano teacher
Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1646453
03/23/11 11:04 AM
03/23/11 11:04 AM
B
Brinestone Offline OP
Brinestone  Offline OP
B

Darling. smile I may just steal it.

Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1646458
03/23/11 11:12 AM
03/23/11 11:12 AM
O
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Overexposed  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

A 5 year old student (who started lessons at age 4) was about half way through his lesson yesterday. We'd been singing songs from a new primer book. He requested to sing them all, and I went along with it. He had also done some piano playing. At one point he said "I want to do something funner". And so we did.

I got a kick out of his word "funner", but appreciate the direct feedback. Ended up using a magnetic board...reviewing EBG and more. And he was happy. Later as his brother had his lesson, I could hear the 5 year old humming as he played with Legos. (The brothers arrive at same time and wait during each other's lesson.)

This felt like a success to me. The previous week this 5 year old was not having fun in his lesson...finding note reading difficult (hence we started a new, simpler supplementary book...and I worked on making reviews into a game).

Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1646610
03/23/11 03:41 PM
03/23/11 03:41 PM
Los Angeles
MrsCamels Offline
MrsCamels  Offline

Los Angeles
it's hard to notice how quickly i can get into "piano is a discipline" mode with my young ones.
so, today i started a new assignment with my little ones to come up with 3 animal sounds on the piano this week (like a mouse eating cheese, or a gorilla stomping through a forest, etc). next week we'll sing Old MacDonald Had A Farm and incorporate our animal sounds. they were VERY excited!

Teaching since 2004
Private studio owner since 2008
www.ecsorota.com
Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1646707
03/23/11 05:57 PM
03/23/11 05:57 PM
O
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Overexposed  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

I can relate to that description of being in "piano is a discipline" mode. laugh With some you can push ahead, and other times it's pretty clear that they need more fun.

Little kids show their annoyance readily. (I had an unpleasant situation today along these lines). It's good to recognize that they're annoyed and re-evaluate how to proceed. It usually means I need to back up and cover some concepts again or in a different way...or I need to recognize that the child is learning a completely new concept...and I've moved too quickly.

This happened today in starting the transition to notes on the staff (with a 6 year old). It helped to do worksheets/game to distinguish between notes on lines and spaces etc. Lesson ended well, but frustrating initially. (This child missed last week due to parent forgetting lesson...and has apparently forgotten a lot as she's had little help at home. It was also back to re-teaching orientation to keyboard, steady beat etc.) Ugh! Next week we'll start off with a review...and I'll remember to Keep It Simple!

Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1647205
03/24/11 01:07 PM
03/24/11 01:07 PM
O
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Overexposed  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

Maybe this is too little to post. But here it is anyway. I had an adult student who stopped lessons beginning this month due to needing to help at family owned restaurant (hired help quit I suppose). She had progressed well in just 6 months. Also she brought me tomatoes from her garden in fall. I enjoyed teaching her.

Anyway, she just called. They've got help again at their business and she'll start up lessons again in April. smile I feel happy!

If the 3 adults I have continue, maybe I'll organize a recital for adults after all. I had considered it, but then one left for 2 months due to a work assignment...he returned and another stopped lessons. Now that they're all back, I'll see. Maybe this summer.

Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1660590
04/15/11 11:04 AM
04/15/11 11:04 AM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
So, asking the birthday girl (at her piano lesson) what she might be thinking of doing when she grows up, she replied:

[Linked Image]

Become a piano teacher! Nice! [Linked Image]

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Re: Little thoughts [Re: Brinestone] #1664061
04/21/11 08:31 AM
04/21/11 08:31 AM
O
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Overexposed  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

I have a wood block perpetual calendar in my studio. (Three block set with month, day and day of week.) I had a student ask what it is. I told her it's a calendar showing what day it is.

Then she said "How does it move?" laugh Obviously she assumed it would move automatically. I told her I flip the blocks to change them.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help Me Decide Between CA78 and VPC1
by xhivo. 06/23/19 08:49 PM
Appreciating William Bolcom
by Qwerty53. 06/23/19 06:41 PM
How Many Old White Spinets Can Fit in an Elevator?
by Retsacnal. 06/23/19 06:39 PM
Questions for Kawai/GF-C/I & II users
by Frappete. 06/23/19 02:01 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,677
Posts2,841,398
Members93,693
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission