Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
93 registered members (Animisha, AlphaBravoCharlie, Alex_G, AlphaTerminus, barbaram, ACSlater, astrotoy, Arty Movie, aphexdisklavier, 20 invisible), 997 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1644093
03/19/11 01:11 PM
03/19/11 01:11 PM
P
Piano Online Tutor Offline
Piano Online Tutor  Offline
P

It's a good idea to post ads on classifed ads websites that are related to your area.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1644265
03/19/11 06:41 PM
03/19/11 06:41 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
In an ad or a website be sure to include something about the students you are looking for (children, adults, levels, special needs, whatever), your qualifications and teaching experience, availability, best way to contact you.

Including these things might make it easier for someone who may be a little reluctant.

Learner
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1644287
03/19/11 07:11 PM
03/19/11 07:11 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Have you considered offering a free lesson to a current student who refers a friend to you for lessons? I did this and it go my families used to talking about me to friends, and as long as the student signed up for lessons, they got a free lesson.

Don't underestimate the value of being visible. If you can teach from a studio where you can show to the public that you are a business, that is the best way. I happen to have a storefront in our downtown and so lots of people walk and drive by.

Also, if you are able to perform in any capacity and have business cards out for people to take as you play, you can get students that way.

Accompanying for students in music festivals/contests works really well, too. If you contact choir teachers at schools in your area and let them know you're available to accompany, you can at the very least make a little extra money doing that, but also people may inquire about lessons.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: Morodiene] #1644424
03/19/11 11:34 PM
03/19/11 11:34 PM
Ohio
S
survivordan Offline
500 Post Club Member
survivordan  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Ohio
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Have you considered offering a free lesson to a current student who refers a friend to you for lessons? I did this and it go my families used to talking about me to friends, and as long as the student signed up for lessons, they got a free lesson.

Don't underestimate the value of being visible. If you can teach from a studio where you can show to the public that you are a business, that is the best way. I happen to have a storefront in our downtown and so lots of people walk and drive by.

Also, if you are able to perform in any capacity and have business cards out for people to take as you play, you can get students that way.

Accompanying for students in music festivals/contests works really well, too. If you contact choir teachers at schools in your area and let them know you're available to accompany, you can at the very least make a little extra money doing that, but also people may inquire about lessons.

I would second the idea about contacting choir teachers. It was my choir teacher that recommended to me my own piano teacher! Also, choral accompaniments generally are not very difficult, and it's a great way to interact with kids!

Working On:

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: survivordan] #1644432
03/20/11 12:03 AM
03/20/11 12:03 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by survivordan
I would second the idea about contacting choir teachers.

I honestly don't think that'll work. You'd get a bunch of 7th graders (or older), so they are not exactly ideal for beginners. Or you'll get a bunch of vocalists who are taking piano as their second "instrument." Unless, of course, your local school district hasn't completely obliterated elementary school music programs.

I live in a rather useless school district. I contacted every elementary school within a ten mile radius, and ONE teacher bothered to reply, and ZERO students has been generated via this method.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1644448
03/20/11 12:26 AM
03/20/11 12:26 AM
Canada
T
tdow Offline
tdow  Offline
T

Canada
Try choosing a niche to cater to and direct your marketing to that specific group. If you throw out advertising that is general ("Piano Lessons - all ages") you are competing with everyone else that is offering the same thing and you get lost in the crowd no matter how great you may be! If you target your advertising ("Piano Lessons for Adults Returning to the Piano" or "Piano Lessons for Preschoolers") you suddenly appear to be an expert in that field and will get more attention. You also have a targeted audience, and therefore a better idea of where to direct your advertising for the greatest impact. You can choose several niches to serve, but seperate your advertising and be specific when announcing what you offer.

Piano Teaching Resources with Personality
www.teachpianotoday.com
http://www.pianogeekweek.com
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1644453
03/20/11 12:36 AM
03/20/11 12:36 AM
Australia
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R0B  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Australia
Just a small comment about your website, ChristyH.
Your background image is around 2.4 MB, in size, and would be very slow to load for some visitors.
It is in .BMP format, and the file size could be considerably reduced, with no noticeable loss in quality, if converted.
It also tiles horizontally on my 24" monitor, making it look rather messy.
Other images could also be reduced in file size.
You are using several 'non web-safe' fonts, (e.g. Bradley Hand ITC) which will be substituted for standard fonts, should your visitors' computers not have those fonts installed. This will make your text appear differently to how you see it on your own computer.

Rob
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: R0B] #1645469
03/21/11 08:23 PM
03/21/11 08:23 PM
Arizona
C
ChristyH Offline OP
ChristyH  Offline OP
C

Arizona
You guys are all so great to reply to me in so many helpful ways, I am soo appreciative! I am currently working on improving my website (taking all notes into consideration!), I cannot beleive I didnt even realize my site wasnt popping up in google on a routine search. Hopefully this week I will be up and running in an appropriate way smile
I also like the idea of advertising for a particular group of students (the niche) and I do like the idea of contacting music teachers at local schools for possibly a side position on occasion!
Thank you all so much and keep the suggestions coming smile

"Look for the music on all things, and life will be a symphony of joy."
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1646220
03/22/11 11:54 PM
03/22/11 11:54 PM
Denver, CO
JazzPianoEducator Offline
JazzPianoEducator  Offline

Denver, CO
Hi Christy,

I work for a website called LessonRating.com that is focused on promoting piano teachers specifically. We have recently redesigned our entire program and offer some cool ways to connect with students. We also offer *professional* looking profile pages within our directory that you can use as a personal web page. We are not offering complete websites yet but plan to roll out this program in our next release.

If you are interested, I invite you to check out our program features here:
http://www.lessonrating.com/teacher-signup.html

If you have any questions please let me know and I'd be happy to assist.

Aside from using us as a resource, I would also recommend the following places to advertise online:
Craigslist
Google Places
Yelp

I hope this helps!

JPE

Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1646305
03/23/11 04:39 AM
03/23/11 04:39 AM
Banned
T
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member
theJourney  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Banned
1. Establish relationships (hint: this is a long term process, not a transactional " can I use you? " thing) with the local teachers at your elementary, junior high and high school, including choir, band, drama, etc. teachers. When fifth or sixth graders are choosing instruments for band see if you can arrange to get referrals to those kids who express an interest in piano.

2. Prepare a flyer for the local pre-school that explains the lifelong educational benefits that can be gained by starting at pre-school age with music instruction and offer a free introductory lesson

3. Ask to be put on the list of piano teachers at local music stores, the Best Buy, the sheet music store, piano stores, etc.

4. Ask about referral programs with piano dealers for bringing them business -- and then ask if the reverse is possible.

5. Join any local (music/piano/other) teachers associations and see to it that you are included in their directories of approved teachers.

6. Decide what kind of students you DON'T want to have and establish relationships with teachers who DO want to have these kind of students. Agree that they will refer ones they don't want (e.g. 5 year olds) and you will refer the ones you don't want (e.g. adult beginners). See yourself as a sharing and caring colleague rather than a raw competitor.

7. Use the introductory coupons from google that are available to buy search words for piano lessons in your area.

8. Advertize on local sites, craig's list, ebay, marktplaats, etc. Don't just offer lessons but offer a unique angle related to your approach and the kind of student that you want to have. Make it narrow and focused and measure what works and what doesn't.

9. Make an analysis of your best students you have had during your entire teaching career. Document in as much detail as possible what it is that made them great students. Then document where they came from, how they found you, and what they told you about the search process. Brainstorm abou where you can find similar students. For example, you might discover that several students came from a referral from one very happy family with good connections. So, how can you duplicate that again?

10. Think about the lifetime moments when certain families or individuals are considering and shopping for piano lessons. For example: 43 year old adults having mid-life crises, certain ethnic parents of five year olds, parents of 7-8 year olds, parents of children with five years of lessons under the belt looking for their next teacher, etc. Then identify where you can find these and reach them. For example, you could ask the local sports car dealer if you could leave behind folders for adult piano lessons to reach the mid-life crisis crowd. There are companies that will sell you lists of families in certain neighborhoods or with certain other attibutes that you can specify that you can then contact with direct mail to get around your non-targeted door to door flyering problem.

11. Contact an official exam organisation such as ABRSM and offer to become an exam center for your locality. Promote the use of exams to make learning goals objectively measurable and get referrals of new students from the exam organization.

12. Decide which of your students has the family situation, talent, dedication, motivation, will, etc. to really go far with the piano and focus your efforts on them. Have them enter public recitals, competitions, etc. and as their star rises people will naturally ask who their teacher is and you will receive enquiries from the right kinds of students automatically.

Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1646363
03/23/11 08:14 AM
03/23/11 08:14 AM
Williamsburg, VA
Piano*Dad Offline
Piano*Dad  Offline

Williamsburg, VA
That is a remarkably thorough and well thought through list of good practices.

I have seen Number 1 in action. Do not underestimate the power of that long-term cultivation of local band/orchestra/choir teachers.

I have seen Number 12 in action as well. Heck, I have been part of Number 12. I have steered quite a number of students to several teachers in my area.

Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1646380
03/23/11 09:00 AM
03/23/11 09:00 AM
London
Sharma Yelverton Offline
Sharma Yelverton  Offline

London
When I first started I spent hours walking the streets of London, posting flyers up in venues, music shops and anywhere that would take them. In addition to that I went online and posted on all the free listings I could find, gumtree, craiglist etc... After six months or so I had acquired an hand full of students. The interesting thing was that out of all the students and inquires that I received, only one had found me through a flyer that I had posted outside. It is an internet age and Google is the first point of call for most people looking for lessons. Nice personal website with good SEO is the way to go. Definitely take advantage of all free.chap listings online. Word of mouth certainly does allot but you need to get established before that can have any impact.

If your interested in private piano lessons or visit my home page at Piano Lessons London
or alternatively visit my blog at play piano to share my thoughts on playing the piano.
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1646595
03/23/11 03:21 PM
03/23/11 03:21 PM
P
Piano Online Tutor Offline
Piano Online Tutor  Offline
P

Twitter and Facebook are also a very good promotional tools.

Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1646609
03/23/11 03:37 PM
03/23/11 03:37 PM
Los Angeles
MrsCamels Offline
MrsCamels  Offline

Los Angeles
I was just thinking about collaborating with some other teachers in Los Angeles and posting a group-on.

Email me if you're interested!

It's free, but you need to be able to handle several hundred new students - so several dozens teachers would be great!!

(especially if you had multiple instruments represented in the teaching group)

Teaching since 2004
Private studio owner since 2008
www.ecsorota.com
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: theJourney] #1651777
03/31/11 02:49 PM
03/31/11 02:49 PM
Arizona
C
ChristyH Offline OP
ChristyH  Offline OP
C

Arizona
Hi there,
Wow, thank you so much!

The last on your list mentioned public recitals...can u give me more information on this? when I was in HS I was entered in a state solo competition...Im wondering if this is something similar? If you could give me some more advice on this topic, id appreciate it!

Thank you again to everyone's advice smile

"Look for the music on all things, and life will be a symphony of joy."
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1653235
04/02/11 04:44 PM
04/02/11 04:44 PM
Kent, WA (Covington)
M
Miss Karen Offline
Miss Karen  Offline
M

Kent, WA (Covington)
I have been pleased with GetLessonsNow.com and PrivateLessons.com. I get an occasional student from Craigslist.

Karen
Redwood Piano Studio
http://redwoodpianostudio.atspace.com/
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: Miss Karen] #1669211
04/30/11 08:48 PM
04/30/11 08:48 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
Slowdown Offline
Slowdown  Offline
S

Sydney, Australia
I've found this discussion really helpful. It has motivated me to set up a website - and also to offer my current students a free lesson if they recommend a student who takes up regular study.

One idea that I wanted to endorse: for years now, I have sent a letter to music teachers in local schools with a bit about myself and asking if they might have suitable piano students for me. While nothing came of this for some time, I have now got two regular in-school tutoring gigs as a direct result of making contacts with music teachers this way. Something to try if you are looking for more work - but take the longview!

Cheers,
-Paul

Piano teacher, journalist, AMEB examiner.
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1669309
05/01/11 01:53 AM
05/01/11 01:53 AM
C
Candywoman Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Candywoman  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

Don't forget to go to all parties to which you are invited. You almost always have to explain you are a piano teacher to somebody.

Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1669519
05/01/11 02:21 PM
05/01/11 02:21 PM
Western Canada
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Diane...  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Western Canada
Chrisy!
When I first started out teaching, I walked flyers door to door! Then I made up business cards & took them with me in my purse! I gave a card to ANYONE I came in contact with! Grocery cashier, store cashier, bus driver, restaurant owner/worker, church bulitin board, person walking their dog, hair dresser, people in the grocery store, clothing store, you name it, they all got a card! And believe it or not, it helps that they actually "see" you!

And, if you do put a card up in a public location (restaurant, music store, sports complex, etc) where there are other piano teachers advertising, check daily to assure that your card or write up is still "up" as MANY times my card/written advertisement, was removed! . . . funny how that happens! . . . grin

Hope this helps!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
Re: Whats the best way to advertise?? [Re: ChristyH] #1669586
05/01/11 04:40 PM
05/01/11 04:40 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Be sure to say what sort of students you will accept. As an adult, I'm hesitant to call teachers with a web page or advert that says "I love teaching piano to children!"

Learner
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DH Baldwin (Samick) Action Stack/Key
by TimM_980. 06/25/19 01:11 AM
In Praise Of The Original Yamaha AG N3
by cphollis. 06/25/19 12:42 AM
Hammer wear on Kawai console circa 1968
by extravagrant. 06/24/19 11:46 PM
Audio Book: How to Listen to and Understand Great Music
by TX-Bluebonnet. 06/24/19 11:06 PM
Prices Paid updated ...
by MacMacMac. 06/24/19 11:03 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,697
Posts2,841,776
Members93,708
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission