2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Just wondering how many PW members are planning on competing in the Cliburn Amateur?? I heard yesterday that I was accepted. Really excited about being there!!

Musica 71
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats, Judy!!!!

BTW: me2 smile

But I think it's best to wait on saying too much, because of people who haven't yet heard, but will.
Because I've 'been there' myself.....and I know how it is. I really worried when other people starting talking about it.

So, I would wait till the official notification date (Apr. 1) before celebrating too much. Just my $0.02....

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Congratulations, Judy! What are you programming for the three rounds (there is, of course, no question you'll make it to the finals!)?

Incidentally, what is Seth doing these days? I remember talking with him after the first round -- said he was SO nervous before going on-stage. He played the Chopin Scherzo No 2 very well, though; and, if I recall, did make the 2nd round.

Cliburn people - please let me know when the competition nears. I would LOVE to make a sticky topic or two so we can hear more about the competition from those participating or attending.

And congrats to musica!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Congratulations to both Judy and Mark!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Seth played the Beethoven 4th Concerto in Montreal in Nov. I don't know how he did it, it was really great. And ...yes Mark, I guess it is best to wait until Apr. 1. I was just so excited! I am doing things I am really comfortable with...I just want to be there to experience it.

Musica 71
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Congratulations to both Judy and Mark!
May I add my congratulations too.

One question: What kind of qualifications are there to complete? What level? How advanced? How prepared? (Just dreaming).

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Just go on their website Cliburn.org....it is all there. Different Competitions have different ideas as to what an Amateur is. It is all spelled out in the guidelines.

Musica 71
I think they are defining "Amateur" in a rather vague way- so music degrees are okay- as long as those with music degrees have day jobs in another profession. They seemed to suggest that potential competitors are quite serious about their music...and not "dabblers" as quoted on their webpage.

I wish anyone who enters the very best!

There's always some controversy surrounding the definition of "amateur," and yes, many of the "amateurs" who compete are able to maintain a more rigorous performance/practice schedule than some university music professors I know. (And, to be honest, it shows!)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
I believe that they will post the performances to their youtube station. I am very much looking forward to viewing & listening to the performances- I find this to be so inspiring!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
There's always some controversy surrounding the definition of "amateur," and yes, many of the "amateurs" who compete are able to maintain a more rigorous performance/practice schedule than some university music professors I know. (And, to be honest, it shows!)

Depending on the universities, if from big name universities known for their piano program, those professors can beat the amateurs at any time even though they do not practice as much as these amateurs. Their past experiences will not disappear just because they do not practice enough. They had enough flying hours where real amateurs do not have.

Do you consider people who graduated from Moscow Conservatory amateur? or people who had competed in a big professional competition such as Van Cliburn be considered an amateur too? To me, those people are not amateur, regardless what the do now. If you consider these people are amateur, should we also consider John McEnroe or Chris Evert amateur too, for they do not make money from tennis anymore.

So far the real amateur piano competition is the one in Texas organized by the Houston Chopin Society. The other amateur competitions appears to be a gathering place for ex-piano major students who stop pursuing piano as their profession for any reasons. Even though, lately, many more non piano major people have joined the competition for fun, however, the winners generally had some kind of advance piano education.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P I A N O piano
I think they are defining "Amateur" in a rather vague way- so music degrees are okay- as long as those with music degrees have day jobs in another profession. They seemed to suggest that potential competitors are quite serious about their music...and not "dabblers" as quoted on their webpage.

I wish anyone who enters the very best!

They do not need to have a job. As long as they do not make substantial amount of money from piano (how we prove this?, I do not know). We cannot prevent people from wanting to win....If one could not win in the professional level, and this person wants to win badly, one will enter the amateur competitions. Nothing, we can do, unless the organizers are really strict in preventing these people. Organizers want the competition that they organize appear to be a tough one too to increase the prestige. If they do not allow piano major people, the quality of the competition will decline.

There are non piano major people who can play big pieces, but how many? very few. Non piano major people, generally, can play only short pieces, early advance level, and usually cannot not play well too. Some of non piano major people tried to play big pieces, usually end up with unsatisfactory quality. I forgot who said this "We know that they are amateur, because they play pieces that are beyond their capability"

Anyway, it is ok...everybody has different goals, some join the competition for fun and gathering. It is totally fun to hang out with people who have the same hobby, and more importantly friendship too. Some join to win.

Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
....Even though, lately, many more non piano major people have joined the competition for fun....

You make some arguably-good points, but this thing isn't so, Ronald. There have always been many such people in these competitions, and there continue to be, and I doubt that the proportion has changed significantly. (And if it has changed, it's not clear in which direction.)

C
C
Is there any news yet on who is participating?

I saw on the web page that participants would be notified by today.

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I believe they will be publishing the list of Competitors with a short bio and mug shot soon. I also believe that people CAN play the big works well without a degree....what about Ricker Choi (AWESOME) who was 2nd in Berlin, or Thang Dinh?? Also a degree from a famous school does not ensure one's ability years later. My degree is as old as the hills and many of my friends (who do not have music degrees) now study with top teachers in big Metropolitan areas. If you live in a small town this is difficult without much travel expense, etc. Surely an advanced degree from Julliard or Eastman is a big accomplishment and indicates a high level of ability but there are exceptions.

Musica 71
BTW, Judy -- now that it's the official notification date, I think we can celebrate openly. smile

YAY, WE'RE IN!! thumb

Congrats! laugh I'm excited for both of you.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C
BTW, Judy -- now that it's the official notification date, I think we can celebrate openly. smile

YAY, WE'RE IN!! thumb

Once again Mark C.
In competition will be
At the Van Cliburn.

Originally Posted by Damon
Once again Mark C.
In competition will be
At the Van Cliburn.

Cool! smile
And I'm afraid you're 'forcing' me to link to some of our other Haikus. ha

(And Judy
Also known as
Musica seventy
One, will be making her Cliburn
Debut!)

BTW: That's called a "cinquain." smile

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission