2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 7 invisible), 1,242 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1643058 03/17/11 05:28 PM
M
OP Offline
M
As an adult beginner, I usually practice with my headphones on so my wife doesn't divorce me. I wonder sometimes about my skill level, and I hesitate to play even the simplest pieces for others for fear that they'll think I'm wasting my time with this ridiculous hobby.
But today, when substitute-teaching in the music department, I was in charge of the beginning piano and guitar class.
One of the honors students (whom I've had in many other classes) was having a terrible time with her Cmaj scale and the I, IV, and V chords of that scale.
I was able to sit with her for a while and explain how those chords are formed, why we play them with the fingering that we do, and how each scale of the piano has the same chords, built in the same way.
I was also able to show her that the C major scale, descending, just sounds like random notes. But played with a different timing, it's "Joy to the World."
She was very appreciative, and told me that she'd learned a lot. It was the first time, ever, that I felt I really KNEW somthing about the piano and that others looked up to me for having that knowledge.
It was a great feeling.

I'm getting there--note by note.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Michael!

We can all learn from each other and teach each other, no matter how simple or elementary.

I’ve never thought I could play all that well, but I’ve had some YouTube members who watched some of my YT music videos to email me and ask me if I’d record a tutorial of a certain song or send them the sheet music. I was flattered, but realize that I need to be taking piano lessons and not giving them…

But, as you say, it is a good feeling to teach someone else what little I know.

Nice post…

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Bet that feels awesome. As not quite beginners its useful to remember that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man/woman is king/queen wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Michael Steen
As an adult beginner, I usually practice with my headphones on so my wife doesn't divorce me. I wonder sometimes about my skill level, and I hesitate to play even the simplest pieces for others for fear that they'll think I'm wasting my time with this ridiculous hobby.

I hear you on this one.

I'm happy for you, sometimes it's those little things that keep you going.

Regards

Self taught adult beginner since September 2009 ( Man, I REALLY need a teacher ... )
Roland HP-305
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Michael. Come to think of it, everyone who is self-learning at the piano, is the student and the teacher at the same time.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Michael,

You got me thinking that I'm sort of a piano teacher too, despite my beginner status.

My 6 year old is taking lessons, and every night I sit down with him for his practice. He gets 30 minutes a week with his real teacher, but he gets the rest of the week stuck with me!

I have to constantly remind him to slow down and make it musical. I tell him that people aren't impressed with speed and lots of mistakes and choppy playing - that people would much more like to hear a controlled and musically played piece (I give him examples with Mary Had a Little Lamb). I try to show him other things as they come up, I hope he's actually listening.

About once a month he storms off in anger as a result of my direction. I guess he might be a true pianist after all! grin

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
That's cool, Michael! Nothing like teaching to learn what you know smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I think sometimes a peer tutor (another learner) is better at explaining things in a way that's understandable, because the explanation likely includes just the basic information, which is easier for the student to get their head around.

Also, I've heard that in peer tutoring situations, the tutor learns as much as the learner. Did you find this to be true? I can kind of see how it could be, because there might be a kind of consolidation of scattered bits of info they had absorbed unconsciously.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by joyoussong

Also, I've heard that in peer tutoring situations, the tutor learns as much as the learner. Did you find this to be true?

I have absolutely found this to be true! I taught high school English for 34 years, and I never learned so much about anything as when I had to teach it.
As to the piano, I was explaining the I, IV, and V chords of the C major scale to this young lady, and showing her why we use the inversions to go back and forth rather than moving our whole arm up and down the keyboard.
My need to be absolutely clear for her in turn clarified things for me. It's a wonderful symbiotic relationship.

I'm getting there--note by note.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As a teacher you are always learning different techniques from different pupils, and as a pianist if you show somebody something, and they understand then this is a great achievment and you should be proud of youself.

I think it's a nice feeling as well when you show somebody something and they understand it and are enjoying and appreciating what you are doing.

Have fun!
smile

How exciting for you Michael, what an awesome feeling that must have been!

Music is my Sanctuary
2010 Mason & Hamlin A Monticello
2001 Baldwin R1
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano
Hi Michael,

You got me thinking that I'm sort of a piano teacher too, despite my beginner status.

My 6 year old is taking lessons, and every night I sit down with him for his practice. He gets 30 minutes a week with his real teacher, but he gets the rest of the week stuck with me!

I have to constantly remind him to slow down and make it musical. I tell him that people aren't impressed with speed and lots of mistakes and choppy playing - that people would much more like to hear a controlled and musically played piece (I give him examples with Mary Had a Little Lamb). I try to show him other things as they come up, I hope he's actually listening.

About once a month he storms off in anger as a result of my direction. I guess he might be a true pianist after all! grin

Hey Ben, my younger one (also 6) started lessons officially too this year. I was explaining "legato" to her earlier tonight. She is tearing through this book of "folk songs", and she's a terrific sight reader - she looks at the score almost the whole time - hardly looking at her hands. smile

PS-I'm not qualified at all as a teacher but, like you, content to be the during-the-week "coach."

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid
Hey Ben, my younger one (also 6) started lessons officially too this year. I was explaining "legato" to her earlier tonight. She is tearing through this book of "folk songs", and she's a terrific sight reader - she looks at the score almost the whole time - hardly looking at her hands. smile

PS-I'm not qualified at all as a teacher but, like you, content to be the during-the-week "coach."

I hear you. My 6 year old is a much better sight reader than I am. I try to show him how certain sections of the piece he's working on should sound and I screw up terribly (while he's chuckling the whole time!)

I get it eventually, the whole time subscribing to the theory, "Do as I say, not as I do."! laugh

Last edited by BenPiano; 03/19/11 01:37 AM.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well done Michael! I remember back in high school, I was asked to take up some beginner students (grade 1-5 ABRSM) for 2 months as a substitute. I was very scared because I thought I was incompetent. In the end, I had one student gave me some chocolates and thanked me during our last lesson.

It's not easy to teach students with varied skill levels and age. But it was rewarding when you see them progress although it was in such a short time. I guess that's why many pianists are passionate about teaching as they are performing.

Perhaps I'll consider teaching when I become more advanced :-)

Be yourself

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission