2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Crik23 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
If you have Netflix, it's on play now. It is a film about Adult Amateur(although they are incredibly skilled) piano players that compete in an international piano competition in Fort Worth.

Definitely inspiring!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yep it's a great flick. A member of the Long Beach Piano group is going to that (France maybe?) this/next month to play!

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Only 2 more months until the 2011 Cliburn Amateur competition: website. The website says nothing about broadcasting any of it though. I wonder if any PW members will be there?

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
P
P
I watched it a few weeks ago as well. I had just signed up for Netflix and it caught my eye.

Interestingly enough, an old classmate of mine from grad school is one of the featured players in the movie. His name is Henri Delbeau.

What's even more interesting is that I had no idea he played the piano (until I randomly saw him in this movie) and he mentions that when he was in school, he didn't get around to playing much.

It's funny because he is just so low key about his playing throughout the movie. I think at one point before he went on to play, he said something like..."it's okay if I don't do well, I have a day job."

The movie as a whole was very well done and very inspiring.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Only 2 more months until the 2011 Cliburn Amateur competition: website. The website says nothing about broadcasting any of it though. I wonder if any PW members will be there?

Well I'm sure some of us are trying! smile
In fact, I know from personal experience that at least one of us is. ha

(You have to apply for admission, and it's never sure.)

Originally Posted by Pedies
....Interestingly enough, an old classmate of mine from grad school is one of the featured players in the movie. His name is Henri Delbeau.

What's even more interesting is that I had no idea he played the piano (until I randomly saw him in this movie) and he mentions that when he was in school, he didn't get around to playing much.

It's funny because he is just so low key about his playing throughout the movie. I think at one point before he went on to play, he said something like..."it's okay if I don't do well, I have a day job."....

Cool that you knew him!
He has become a good friend of mine through these competitions, and I'm shown talking with him a couple of times in the film.

BTW he has won 1st prize in several of the events.

K
K
Hi,

Another nice film on Netflix is Note by Note. It's not a performance film but follows the making of a Steinway grand. Very cool.

Ken

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Sam S

Well I'm sure some of us are trying! smile
In fact, I know from personal experience that at least one of us is. ha

(You have to apply for admission, and it's never sure.)

That's great Mark - I hope you make it into the competition, and that you do well. I'll be pulling for you!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Thanks, Ken, for the Note by Note movie recommendation. I'll be sure to watch that when I get home tonight.

With all this talk of They Came To Play, I had to watch it again on Netflix, and it was probably better the second time around. smile

Used to own a Hailun HG 198 frown
P
P
I also watched note by note. They gave it away at the local Steinway gallery if you were willing to come in and look at the pianos a while back (they openend near me about 2 years ago so this was some kind of promotion).

I was less than impressed with that documentary. I truly enjoyed the parts where the Steinway artists played the instruments, but the making of the instrument was less than glamorous. Now, I don't expect the construction process to be galmorous, but they made the construction process seem like a very menial task which to me was kind of a dissapointment (of course, they are just showing us reality, but there are ways to place a spin on that and it seemed like their spin was that it was a simple, time consuming process with many very basic steps). It's just my opinion, but I was really looking foreward to that video and when I saw it, I was a bit let down.

L
L
I am the producer of the film, and it's wonderful to see the positive comments. In case you missed the blurb in the PW newsletter, we are offering a private discount to Piano World members who actually would like to own the film, or buy more than one copy as gifts...
http://theycametoplay.com/specialOffer.html

We are also interested in arranging small screenings/screening parties with anyone who would like to host, and can be reached at fromlorikm@gmail.com

Thank you for supporting the film.
Lori Miller

M
M
I enjoyed "They Came To Play" on Netflix, and took advantage of the offer for the DVD. It also includes "extended performances" as bonus tracks. Work has been busy, so I haven't watched them yet but will this weekend.

Thanks for an excellent film and the discount!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

[Linked Image]
P
P
Thanks for making the film. I really enjoyed it. The people that were featured were very interesting.

I actually reconnected with Henri Delbeau who I knew from med school through Facebook because of this movie. I didn't even know Henri played piano. The last time I had seen him (14 years ago), he was coming back from a Central Park bike ride to the dorm. Who knew he'd be a movie star?

Congrats on a great film.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Here's the trailer:

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
...and the neatest things smile about the 'still' image of that trailer.....

See the guy near the bottom left with the bushy white hair?
That's my wife's brother.
And see the chick next to him, that 3/4 of a face on the bottom left? My wife.

And oh.......I shouldn't mention this, and really I almost didn't even notice it, but guess who's that very good looking bald guy standing up with his back to the camera on the bottom left..... ha

(I never noticed before that we were seen in the trailer....)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I purchased the dvd and just watched it last night. I enjoyed it immensely, and am planning on watching it again today. Thanks for the "heads up" Piano World Forums.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
One of the finalists (Clark Grifith) is heard on the video playing a couple of Bach pieces - if you watch closely you see that he arranged them himself. They are from the Partita #3 for solo violin, and pdf files of the music are available from his web page.

Looks like the Gavotte and Rondeau is the easier of the two - the Fugue (3 voices?) looks pretty hairy...

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I finally was able to start watching this tonight. (watched the first half)

I was bummed because I don't have a Netflix account and didn't think I'd ever see it. But with the Cliburn Amateur going on right now, I *had* to see it!

Dummy me didn't realize the local library had it until today.

Anyway, very entertaining so far. My wife is even watching it with me (that's a good sign!)

I know I'll never be good enough to be a contestant, but man, it would be fun to be wandering around with a camera interviewing and filming participants behind the scenes pretending I was making a documentary about this! laugh The whole event sounds like a lot of fun (and stress, but good stress)

Bravo!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
I loved the video.
So inspiring. I'll never be at their level, but it does my heart good to see/hear non-professionals playing such incredible piano.

I had the pleasure of chatting with the producer a number of times.
She truly enjoyed making the film as much as we enjoy watching and listening to it.

If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy, you won't be sorry.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

I had the same experience. I happened to find it on Netflix. My wife actually watched it with me.....I even managed to get my daughters to watch some (but not all) of it......do teenagers develop A.D.D.?!

I had hoped to be able to travel to Ft Worth to attend the competition, but my schedule did not permit this time.

Best wishes to all of the competitors!!!

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
If some of you have Netflix, did you know that there is a device called Roku (costs about $100) that allows you to stream the "instant watch" movies right to your TV? It's easy to hook up, and there are about 7,000 movies available from Netflix, including "They Came to Play," "Impromptu," "The Chronicles of Anna Magdelena," "In Search of Beethoven," and many more classical selections that you might never see anywhere else.

If some of you have newer TVs, you don't have to buy the Roku device, for your TV probably has the necessary connections. And, if you are not interested in getting DVD's from Netflix, you can just sign up for the "Instant Movies," option for $7.99 a month. (No, I am not a spokesperson for Netflix.)

I don't watch TV at all. I bought Roku and subscribe to Netflix for my husband. It's really worth the money.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission