2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
KHen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hey everyone. I'm looking for some classical pieces, say around grade 4, that would really get me to work on some technique. For the past 3 weeks I've been doing arpeggios in right and left hand and I've been really working on trying to up my tempo and speed in this area and I've seen vast improvement in my piano playing ability.

But now that I've done that I want to actually apply these things to some songs. Was wondering If I could get some suggestions.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ken, have you addressed this to your teacher? If so, what did she suggest?

There are several collections of progressive etudes, both by composers and compendiums. One you might like is a set by Ingrid Jacobson Clarfied, published by Alfred. It's 3 volumes of progressively difficult works.

Without a teacher, however, you'll get very little out of these, because the notes alone do not teach technique. They are merely vehicles for you to learn technique.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
K
KHen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Sorry, I don't have a teacher just myself and I practice at the college I go to, so I don't actually own a piano either. I know I'm on a roll here...lol.

I've read that some people suggest getting the Keith Snell books in my grade. Fundamentals of Piano Theory,
Baroque and Classical, Romantic and Contemporary, Etudes.

Would this be a good place to start? I mainly just wanted to see what I've been practicing for these past few weeks put to use in some repertoire.

L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
KHen,

You only mention that you've been practicing techniques. What actually methods or pieces have you attempted?

You can't just play scales and arpeggios and then jump into higher grade pieces.

You also shouldn't just focus on etude/technique pieces, but have a well-rounded exposure to many different styles. It sounds to me like you don't actually have a series of repertoire yet at all, in which case, it would be wise for you to buy a series and start at a much earlier level, depending on what you've learned thus far.

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Czerny is a body of work that is somewhat musical/etude like that focuses upon technique.

It starts out quite simple, which is good when working on Technique because you want to focus on moving the fingers/hand without undue tension, which is a very mental activity that is best done by starting out slow and increasing tempo as your ability develops.

Is it possible that you can find a teacher or piano student at the college? If no music majors are there, there are always a few non-piano students who can play, and might enjoy teaching the basics to someone.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
K
KHen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I mentioned grade 4 pieces and not starting in prep level because I can read music already, played alto sax in Middle school and HS symphonic band, and am not totally a beginner. I have looked over and played some grade 4 pieces and managed to get through them okay.

Originally Posted by ll
You also shouldn't just focus on etude/technique pieces, but have a well-rounded exposure to many different styles. It sounds to me like you don't actually have a series of repertoire yet at all, in which case, it would be wise for you to buy a series and start at a much earlier level, depending on what you've learned thus far.

Your right I don't have a series yet and was wondering If I should just start with the grade 4 Keith Snell books I mentioned.

L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I wouldn't recommend it.

Just because you can read music and play another instrument and know 'the basics' of the piano doesn't mean you can just jump into any grade level of pieces.

There's things you have to learn, and you should learn them through easier pieces first. You probably don't need the prep level, but getting something like level 1 or level 2 of Keith Snell would be far more beneficial to you.

Anyone can 'get through' a piece. But it sounds like you actually want to learn properly. If so, start with more simple repertoire. Otherwise, any piece you want to learn can teach you 'technique.'

II. As in, second best.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The classic to Moderns book is good for this, and has some popular classical songs in around the level you are looking at.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Let me try saying this another way: books don't teach technique. The etudes are just the vehicle the teacher uses to teach technique.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Let me try saying this another way: books don't teach technique. The etudes are just the vehicle the teacher uses to teach technique.

great point. play some bach or classical music and tell me you can't learn any technique

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by joeb84
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

great point. play some bach or classical music and tell me you can't learn any technique

You said great point, and then disagreed with John.

The idea is, sure, you can sit down and 'learn' any piece. But - especially with etudes - there's a specific goal/idea/point behind the piece to teach you something, and it won't always be so clear cut without a teacher to show you exactly what.

II. As in, second best.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Joe, not to gainsay your post, because obviously, you can learn much from playing, but I'm talking specifically about technique used to handle specific problems, such as Alberti bass patterns or scale or extended chords or awkward passing tones. The etude books may have fingerings which work well for many students but do not work well for the particular student's hand. They can experiment, but they lack the experience to know whether their revised fingering will help them play at a faster tempo more securely and more musically.

Here's another example from a student yesterday: the student was thumb thumping. The melodic line was played with the weak fingers, but the musical line alternated between the melody and thumb, which was a chordal note. There was nothing in the music to indicate this to the student, and the student's ear wasn't sufficiently musical yet to realize they were accenting the wrong tones in the music. I've never seen this topic addressed in method books (not surprising), but I have seen it address in a very few advanced student etude books, but my guess would be most students overlook the significance of what is pointed out.

This is one important reason why I encourage adults returning to piano to seek out a teacher who works well with adults and has the training/knowledge to help them with this. It can take years or even decades off their journey.

K
KHen Offline OP
OP Offline
K
So financially I'm just not able to get a teacher. Maybe in a few more months that will change, but I'm a college student with a part time job and just can't do it.

I was just looking for some books that I could use to start playing some classical songs and learning things before I get a teacher. I know I really need to get a teacher if I am going to learn an advance my technique faster, but for now some repertoire is all I got.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission