2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
John,

Whatever name it may be given, if a person must pay something which is not for a service or goods, and if it is for such reasons, then this punitive. That is what it is, without calling it good or bad. We have late payers as a problem, and tacking on interest for late payments has been suggested in my corner - this is also punitive. That doesn't make it bad.

Another big problem: This is a teachers' forum and most teachers here teach school-aged children, not adults. If we teach adults, it's an extra, not a primary source of income. Generally, we have completely different parameters for adults, recognizing that they have inflexible schedules, at times, and other obligations they cannot avoid. Adults, who are most welcomed here, still need to keep in mind that as students, they represent a very small fraction of piano students. Perhaps 1% or less.

You addressed this to me. (?) First off, I had a child taking lessons for years every single week of the year. None of the nonsense you experience came from us: there was regular practice, coming in prepared, regular attendance, prompt payment, and more than meeting the teacher's expectations. I can easily write in as a parent, and mostly I did so.

Secondly, as adult student, at least the same demands were made of me as of any child student: regular attendance, practice, same program etc. If this is so, is there actually a difference between adult and child students? If you can put a 5 year old and 15 year old in the same basket policy-wise, isn't it the same for the 17 year old ("child") and 27 year old ("adult")?

Is this about age groups, or about special wishes? What about your over-stretched child student taking ballet, horse riding, calligraphy, piano, guitar, and water colors while trying to be a straight A student - misses lessons and comes in unprepared and exhausted. Isn't that child your "adult student" as per your definition?

What about redefining this between regular committed students, and irregular special-wish student? In any case, responding to me in terms of adult vs. child makes no sense.

Better teachers, even if forced by economic circumstances, to teach out of home studios, are going to operate professionally and in a business-like manner.

That is music to my ears. Let's hope more and more teachers do.

Originally Posted by keystring

The thing that bugs me in these forums are these quick statements about what the attitude of students is supposed to be. Since nobody is a mind reader, it would be good for the attempt not to be made - about anyone, whether student or teacher.

I would have also liked to see professional reasoning, rather than economic reasoning. A professional will recommend certain things because it gives results. A dentist wants to see you twice a year in order to prevent cavities. She doesn't say "I need the steady income that your regular attendance gives me." Continual lessons for at least a year is needed for any real progress to happen. Why not say that, and demonstrate professional interest in your student's growth, which is probably your priority in the first place? I bet that teachers and non-teachers would be on the same page immediately. This strife is needless.

I think you are right in assuming that teachers have their student's growth as a priority... and that is the major reason they got into this kind of work in the first place - the driving motivation.

But there is also the economic reality in that to have any kind of financial stability - a teacher need to be able to rely on filling a number of hours each week with full paying students.

Speaking about the economic realities doesn't not mean that the teacher has lost focus his/her main priority - providing a quality music education to students. Part of this being a teachers forum is the ability to talk about all aspects of teaching - including how to make full time teaching into a viable career.

In addition to teaching music - I also work as a therapist in private practice. The reality is - I care deeply about my clients and about supporting them to do the work they need to do. But I also know that to continue in this work - I need to ensure that I see a certain number of clients per week - and if they fail to show up - then they need to pay for their sessions. Yes... the 'results' conversation would be that regular therapy is much better than dropping in and out... but I also have to talk about economic realities when chatting with other therapists... and that I care about my clients is assumed by those I'm chatting with.

Long story short... teachers have to balance both their love for teaching and for watching their students grow... and making a viable living from teaching. Surely we need to allow teachers to discuss both aspects of their job without challenging their need to do so?

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
There you go again, quoting out of context.

That accusation was inevitable as I pointed out when I made that comment. I have no way of proving that what I thought was right. Common sense should tell people what to believe and what not to. This is not a court of law where you are allowed to interpret based only on hard evidence, via precise written statements or whatever. If you feel you've been quoted out of context and are sincere about it, I do apologize. However, there is absolutely no way for me to prove it and its your word that we will have to take ultimately. So if you say so, fine, I quoted you out of context, my apologies.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by LimeFriday
[quote=keystring]

But there is also the economic reality in that to have any kind of financial stability - a teacher need to be able to rely on filling a number of hours each week with full paying students.

In addition to teaching music - I also work as a therapist in private practice. The reality is - I care deeply about my clients and about supporting them to do the work they need to do. But I also know that to continue in this work - I need to ensure that I see a certain number of clients per week - and if they fail to show up - then they need to pay for their sessions. Yes... the 'results' conversation would be that regular therapy is much better than dropping in and out... but I also have to talk about economic realities when chatting with other therapists... and that I care about my clients is assumed by those I'm chatting with.

Do you charge a termination fee if your client wants to see somebody else and wants to stop coming to you? If you wanted to use the argument that I've marked in bold at the beginning of your post in your own profession, then you would have to charge a termination fee (if you're defending this policy).

Failing to show up is a different matter altogether. That's a specific time reserved for them and you pay for a reservation, its as simple as that. So lets not confuse matters as people seem to be confused already by throwing about analogies that make no sense whatsoever.

LimeFriday - I was talking about teachers explaining their reality to clients, i.e. responding to those who are not music teachers. You do not explain to a client that you want them to commit to x months because you need the income. You explain to the client that it is for his benefit, and it must also be true. Shop talk is another matter.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
There was a brief period when I offered lessons. I clearly mentioned in my advertisement that I was only taking students who would stick around for longer than just a couple of months because it takes a while before you begin to see results. A few did end up leaving after 3 months. Most did stay though. I accepted them only after an interview. However, I would never stop them from leaving by forcing a termination fee on them. People can have different reasons to leave. They might, at the end of 3-4 months decide that their goals are slightly different and can be achieved better by going to another teacher. Who knows? In my case, they were beginners. They thought they were committed to it in the beginning. However, people do lose interest due to various reasons, often not within their control. Sometimes it the fault of the teacher too. I probably was guilty of having them do more exercises than actual musical pieces. The ones who did stick around progressed a lot by the end of the year. However, I do not blame the ones who left. Similarly John, you might have 100% confidence in your abilities and that your lessons are the most interesting lessons in the world and that students might never lose interest due to anything that you might be doing wrong. Unfortunately, that might not be true. For all we know, the parents, due to the huge amounts of money they've pledged to you, might be forcing some of these kids to continue even if they express a desire to quit. You wouldn't know if that were happening, would you?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Another big problem: This is a teachers' forum and most teachers here teach school-aged children, not adults. If we teach adults, it's an extra, not a primary source of income. Generally, we have completely different parameters for adults, recognizing that they have inflexible schedules, at times, and other obligations they cannot avoid. Adults, who are most welcomed here, still need to keep in mind that as students, they represent a very small fraction of piano students. Perhaps 1% or less.

You addressed this to me. (?)

No. It was primarily addressed to Liszt.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Originally Posted by liszt85
[quote=keystring]

Do you charge a termination fee if your client wants to see somebody else and wants to stop coming to you? If you wanted to use the argument that I've marked in bold at the beginning of your post in your own profession, then you would have to charge a termination fee (if you're defending this policy).

Failing to show up is a different matter altogether. That's a specific time reserved for them and you pay for a reservation, its as simple as that. So lets not confuse matters as people seem to be confused already by throwing about analogies that make no sense whatsoever.

OK... in order to avoid confusing people... let me put it a different way. When I run a group program that runs for 6 months or a year - participants can pay the fee up front - or they can pay monthly. If they decide a few weeks into the program that they are going to drop out (for reasons other than ill health or family emergency) then yes - they pay a termination fee. It's part of what they agree to upfront. This might be because they decide that the program is not for them and they want to go elsewhere... see someone else.

My analogy is more about the number of clients/students being spoken about in economic terms... and putting in place various policies in order to maintain a viable living. No therapy clients wants to know about the economic realities of their therapist... and what seems to be going on here in part is an objection to students and families being exposed to these realities.

We are in total agreement about some things... but I think your arguments against a policy such as a termination fee is a denial of the economic reality that teachers running a business as their only source of income face.

LimeFriday - I was talking about teachers explaining their reality to clients, i.e. responding to those who are not music teachers. You do not explain to a client that you want them to commit to x months because you need the income. You explain to the client that it is for his benefit, and it must also be true. Shop talk is another matter.

Keystring - I'm in total agreement with you here. Sorry - I took your post in order to speak primarily to Liszt85.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thank you for a thoughtful and insightful post. Of course, music is our primary product, but the OP brought up the issue of what to do about leaves of absence and early departures. When I am teaching, I am totally focused on the student and their musicianship, not worrying about whether they are going to quit next month.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com

No. It was primarily addressed to Liszt.

Then it makes sense. smile

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you for a thoughtful and insightful post. Of course, music is our primary product, but the OP brought up the issue of what to do about leaves of absence and early departures. When I am teaching, I am totally focused on the student and their musicianship, not worrying about whether they are going to quit next month.

You're forgetting that its also important that the student should not, when you're teaching him/her, be worrying about their inability to get out of it if they wanted to. You might be at ease, of course. That was never in question. There needs to be some balance. However, since you teach in an affluent area, none of my arguments really hold well for you.. I'm more concerned about the increasing trend here generalizing and making blanket statements like the particular one that I've taken strong exception to in this particular thread "Families that are committed enough and prioritize lessons, make the sacrifices to pay annual tuition upfront (or in installations) after signing the policy agreeing to an early termination fee" implying somehow that people who don't are either not committed or do not prioritize lessons enough. Don't tell me that I'm putting words in your mouth. I'm not. When I say "imply", it means exactly that: you didn't actually say that, but something that you said IMPLIES it and that it follows naturally from your statement. If you didn't mean to imply that, then you can always retract statements, you know?

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by liszt85
[quote=keystring]

OK... in order to avoid confusing people... let me put it a different way. When I run a group program that runs for 6 months or a year - participants can pay the fee up front - or they can pay monthly. If they decide a few weeks into the program that they are going to drop out (for reasons other than ill health or family emergency) then yes - they pay a termination fee. It's part of what they agree to upfront. This might be because they decide that the program is not for them and they want to go elsewhere... see someone else.

My analogy is more about the number of clients/students being spoken about in economic terms... and putting in place various policies in order to maintain a viable living. No therapy clients wants to know about the economic realities of their therapist... and what seems to be going on here in part is an objection to students and families being exposed to these realities.

We are in total agreement about some things... but I think your arguments against a policy such as a termination fee is a denial of the economic reality that teachers running a business as their only source of income face.

More than the policy itself, I'm opposed to the attitude that accompanies it. "Most of them my clients are not rich, many of them struggle to make ends meet" used to describe clients who make $80K-100K a year, claiming based on a few meaningless numbers that middle class includes people who earn anywhere between $40K and $200K, etc are also instances of not realizing economic realities, would you agree? Somehow the intent expressed here just doesn't sound right for some reason. I do see your point about steady income and all of that. However, the entire discussion about what constitutes poor (esp setting insanely high standards for the "rich" category), about how commitment and prioritizing is what decides if people want to sign on the contract or not, etc just leaves a bad taste.

If I teach someday, I might have to have some of these policies in place too but I'll make sure none of it is a blanket policy. I might normalize it based on family income or whatever.. I don't know. I wouldn't assume that anybody who earns ANYWHERE between $40K - $200K would be equally happy to sign on the same contract. Like you say, economic realities. They exist on both sides. It might be "just a termination policy" according to you, but lets respect the same economic realities that you use for arguing for the service provider's policy for the consumer too.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
keystring, I'm actually quite happy you "bring us back to reality" from time to time. It reminds me that it's important to emphasize to all that private piano teaching is more than just piano teaching. Teachers must be competent in three areas, unlike their public school or university counterparts, we are a stool with three legs - proficiency in our instrument, proficiency in teaching, and proficiency in running a sole proprietorship.

Where as the public school has a captive audience, even so, it hires both teachers and administrators, and the university has the ability to hire even more specialists, advertisers to recruit students, businessmen/women to administer the school, and professors to teach subject matter, the private studio teacher must wear these many hats and switch back and forth among them. The private studio teacher must be able to perform all these functions with some degree of expertise, or fail. And when they fail, they fail both potential students and themselves.

Thank you.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
[Linked Image]

It may be tough at first, but I strongly urge you to transition to some form of tuition plan, where students pay by the month, term, semester, year, or what ever. I have annual tuition, but students can opt to pay in monthly installments. They have X scheduled lessons through the year, at lesson times which are theirs alone. They can either take the lesson or skip the lesson. Monthly payments are ironed out to be flat rate through the year, although some months have 5 lessons, most have 4, and a few, like December, will have 3.

If students have a reason to quit prior to the end of the year, such as a family move, then they owe an early termination fee, which absolves them of paying the entire tuition.

I also have an annual enrollment fee, which covers a number of odds and ends, helps with the recital, tuning the studio instruments, etc, etc.

If they need to take a month off, all they need do is continue paying their tuition, and their lesson slot is held (obviously), but if they quit, pay the early termination fee, then come back two months later with a change of heart, I will work to fit them in, but under no circumstances can I make any guaranty that a particular lesson time will be available. And of course, they would be required to pay a new enrollment fee.

We've had many discussions on this, and you would enjoy/profit by going back through the archives and reading the many teachers' inputs.

Even though we've had these discussions before, it is helpful to consider it all again. Thanks John for all these details.

I have had 2 kids drop lessons the beginning of this month. And in both cases I think the parent got tired of lessons. I am beginning to see the value of an annual tuition. Eventually I may go to an annual enrollment.

Also next year I might take off more than my usual one week in summer. Or go hog wild and take off 2 weeks this summer! laugh We learn how to take care of ourselves as we go along...creating policies that parents see as fair and also respect our own needs.

S
OP Offline
S
Wow! My original post certainly generated a lively discussion!

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions for solving my problem. I don't think I'm going to do anything right away, but I will definitely make some changes in my policies next year, based on your feedback.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It happens every time the issue comes up. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because there are always new forum members present, and issues do need to be aired for their benefit and as reminders to others.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to pick up a copy of Practical Pedagogy by Dr. Martha Baker-Jordan and there are several others now out which provide studio operating guidelines based on sensible business practices.

I have found the more laid back I am, the more sort of laid back student I attract...

I know now for sure the best way is to lay down the law and enforce it. If you have a student who is taking liberties here and there, it will in the long run cost YOU.

I am passionate about this because this last year I decided to try and attract new students by offering family discounts, cash payment discounts and the option of taking the summer off.

I have had a crazy, complicated year because of that...can't wait to start fresh next school year!

M. Katchur
keystring, I'm actually quite happy you "bring us back to reality" from time to time. It reminds me that it's important to emphasize to all that private piano teaching is more than just piano teaching. Teachers must be competent in three areas, unlike their public school or university counterparts, we are a stool with three legs - proficiency in our instrument, proficiency in teaching, and proficiency in running a sole proprietorship.

smile
I think you can add a fourth leg to that stool: public relationship to the public at large. This is a tricky one, and I think most of us are ill equipped for it. People write forum posts hastily and make lots of assumptions. Posts that are local and personal come across as being global statements. Between the two we have a colossal mess. Do we decide to give others the benefit of the doubt, or are we naive fools ready to be taken for a ride? That fourth leg is a wobbly one. A statement about what constitutes low finances becomes a global statement about the world at large - which would be absurd. A position taken locally in your own area is seen as intransigent, hard headed and hard hearted, and applicable to everyone everywhere. What is meant, what is said, and how it is understood are three separate things.

In any case, I'm familiar with the scenario you describe as any freelancer is. We must be expert in our field, as well as needing to deal with the administrative financial side. As teachers you have it harder, because you have a relationship of trust and close interpersonal interaction in teaching, and then you also have to be the hard nosed financier. Usually a secretary or accountant takes care of that part.

It is also difficult to be good at a second occupation, which financing and administration are. I know that this is a weak area that you are trying to address. Doing so publicly can be pretty tricky business, fraught with misunderstanding, and maybe misapplication.

If I may say so, in regards to arguments about what colleges and other institutions do: I would think that looking at other freelance professionals might be closer to the mark. Private teachers are not massive institutions, and the job is individualized and flexible rather than an unwieldy mass program such as courses of studies for 30 to 300 students. I don't think that people can relate the two. Teaching has its own merits and its own priorities. In any argument about a year of tuition, I would think that the craft itself needs that amount of time. Can you really give a student enough if instruction is sporadic and only half a year? If not, then stating that a year is needed in order to get results is something that I think the non-teacher would find reasonable. Even if some stability and predictability are needed, that is probably what students would relate to

In regards to policies, I imagine that they are there in order to not be taken for a ride, and have something to reach for. I would hope (imagine) that if someone falls into dire straits and is not being frivolous, flexibility would appear. You are not institutions that are stuck by the laws they create.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

smile
I think you can add a fourth leg to that stool: public relationship to the public at large. This is a tricky one, and I think most of us are ill equipped for it. People write forum posts hastily and make lots of assumptions. Posts that are local and personal come across as being global statements. Between the two we have a colossal mess. Do we decide to give others the benefit of the doubt, or are we naive fools ready to be taken for a ride? That fourth leg is a wobbly one. A statement about what constitutes low finances becomes a global statement about the world at large - which would be absurd. A position taken locally in your own area is seen as intransigent, hard headed and hard hearted, and applicable to everyone everywhere. What is meant, what is said, and how it is understood are three separate things.

In any case, I'm familiar with the scenario you describe as any freelancer is. We must be expert in our field, as well as needing to deal with the administrative financial side. As teachers you have it harder, because you have a relationship of trust and close interpersonal interaction in teaching, and then you also have to be the hard nosed financier. Usually a secretary or accountant takes care of that part.

It is also difficult to be good at a second occupation, which financing and administration are. I know that this is a weak area that you are trying to address. Doing so publicly can be pretty tricky business, fraught with misunderstanding, and maybe misapplication.

If I may say so, in regards to arguments about what colleges and other institutions do: I would think that looking at other freelance professionals might be closer to the mark. Private teachers are not massive institutions, and the job is individualized and flexible rather than an unwieldy mass program such as courses of studies for 30 to 300 students. I don't think that people can relate the two. Teaching has its own merits and its own priorities. In any argument about a year of tuition, I would think that the craft itself needs that amount of time. Can you really give a student enough if instruction is sporadic and only half a year? If not, then stating that a year is needed in order to get results is something that I think the non-teacher would find reasonable. Even if some stability and predictability are needed, that is probably what students would relate to

In regards to policies, I imagine that they are there in order to not be taken for a ride, and have something to reach for. I would hope (imagine) that if someone falls into dire straits and is not being frivolous, flexibility would appear. You are not institutions that are stuck by the laws they create.

Some very excellent points here.

I particularly like what you said here:
Private teachers are not massive institutions, and the job is individualized and flexible rather than an unwieldy mass program such as courses of studies for 30 to 300 students.

But we're really not address quality of instruction, nor quantity of instruction, rather a principle of who has to carry the financial burden when a student prematurely withdraws from instruction.

Both our local ballet school and gymnastics school, which have 2 and 4 instructors respectively, have "Pay up front, no refunds" for their respective terms of instruction. So then, where is the point when the burden shifts to the teacher from the client? Two or more instructors?

You mentioned freelance professionals as a possible model. From my experience, the successful ones have very hard-nosed policies, with payment schedules, cancellation fees, etc.

Never the less, your point about public relations is extremely important, and teachers should craft their policy statements to not only protect themselves from miscreant clients (who are hopefully few and far between) while focusing on what the client gains and benefits from on-going vs intermittent, music study.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission