2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
R
and hopefully when playing back audio, it won't steal any notes from me wink

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JHbackingtracks
and hopefully when playing back audio, it won't steal any notes from me wink

As you know better than most: who knows until we test for these things? And that's the heck* of it.

JHbackingtracks, you seem to be a master at lifting NX rocks so that we can all see the bugs underneath. Please report back on your experiences with the CP5/50.

* Has anyone else noticed that "H E double-hockey-sticks" gets automatically translated to "heck" on PW? What the heck's going on?

R
R
Sorry to keep 'hassling' you on this, but obviously I want to know everything on the matter...

I've just read the manual, and found an interesting 'keyon' feature where I could start the backing track from pressing any key (or as 'set' key) this is good! This is like the Audio Key in a way..... most the time I would only need the one trigger, unlike the audio key having an octaves worth of trigger keys.

So the question is, although the CP5 allows you to save your sounds/settings etc. Does it let you save the 'keyon' setting with it... and would it remember the backing track i want to start with that key on?? because ideally, I'd just like to press 'next' and go through all my set ups and the correct songs are stored to the 'keyon' setting... rather than having to go back into the menu and select the right song quick while I'm on stage etc.

Also, if I wanted to assign just the very bottom key to start the backing track for example, could I bypass the piano sound on that key??? I was thinking if you can't, maybe I could split the keyboard with another sound, make the split point the key before the bottom key, and then just turn it down all the way so only that note isn't active.

The thing that I like the sound of with the Roland audio key, is how I could assign more than 1 part to a key, which would be handy as I sometimes need to trigger little effects that last a few seconds, and I wouldn't have time to quickly go back and change the backing track I want to play, plus there would be a 'cut' in the sound as It wouldn't have enough time to finish... where as the audio key I could just press the next key and have the next sound assigned etc.

However... I wonder on the Roland, if you only have one key assigned, if the whole octave on the bottom becomes unplayable!

I'd really appreciate your answers to these questions If you know... you seem like a very good source on these forums smile

Thanks a lot, really appreciate it.

V
OP Offline
V
Bad news, I've read on another forum that the FP-7F has the same exact issue as the 700 NX. That is, polyphony issues with SuperNatural piano patches when layering them with other instruments and using sustain, and when playing over audio files.

This is a huge turnoff for me, since I'm not spending that kind of money for an handicapped instrument, and it's a real shame since I liked the feel of the keyboard and the SuperNatural engine.

Anyways, if you happen to try the FP-7F, JHbackingtracks would you please report your findings?

I guess I'll have to start searching again, probably considering differences between Yamaha P-155 and CP-50, and Kawai MP6, and possibly RD 300 NX if it does not suffer from the same issue.

*edited to include source, both discussions mention that there's the same issue on FP-7F, but they're in italian.

Last edited by VivatRudolphus; 03/07/11 09:16 PM.

Roland FP-7F
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by VivatRudolphus
Bad news, I've read on another forum that the FP-7F has the same exact issue as the 700 NX.

Please post your source.

It's not good enough to simply state 'I read this...' or 'I heard that...'.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I'm sure you'll know the answer to the being able to trigger audio from a pedal etc for the Kawai??? And I'd like to think it doesn't 'do a roland' and compromises on other things when playing back audio.

I'm afraid it's not currently possible to use a pedal to trigger MP3/WAV playback on the MP6, only the 'PLAY' panel button. In my experience, Kawai's implementation of playing back MP3/WAV audio files from USB does not affect polyphony.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M
I'm also deciding between the FP-7F, MP6, or waiting for a Kawai ES6 replacement.The main things about the FP-7F for me are key noise and wear. Noise I hear is less than others but I'll have to try it. Wear not sure.

Besides the other issues. James, the MP6 doesn't seem to have a true triple pedal? I think you combine the included single and then get a double? That might be ok if it would support a possible future single triple pedal if they decided on one.

Last edited by Mussorg; 03/07/11 11:24 PM.
Mussorg,

Unfortunately Kawai does not produce a dedicated 3-pedal accessory for the MP6/MP10. As you note, the only solution is to use Kawai's F-10H single and F-20 double-pedal units combined.

For example:

[Linked Image]

Kind regards,
James
x

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I don't know what this polyphony nonsense is about and I don't have any key wear from 3 months of very heavy use (hours a day).

The polyphony on MP3 is so non-sensical to be. I plug in my Iphone/Ipod using the the Aux In of the FP7F and play whatever on it (Mp3, etc.) The sounds are mixed together. But they obviously do not affect the keyboard playing in any way since it's just audio and not digital.

Playing the MP3 directly on USB seems such an outdated concept in comparison.

What the heck are you guys playing that creates all these imagined limitations? It's a nice DP. That's all I need to say. SN Piano sounds great.

Non-keyboard related sounds like horn/sax are AWFUL however. Yamaha is better with those.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

R
R
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I don't know what this polyphony nonsense is about and I don't have any key wear from 3 months of very heavy use (hours a day).

The polyphony on MP3 is so non-sensical to be. I plug in my Iphone/Ipod using the the Aux In of the FP7F and play whatever on it (Mp3, etc.) The sounds are mixed together. But they obviously do not affect the keyboard playing in any way since it's just audio and not digital.

Playing the MP3 directly on USB seems such an outdated concept in comparison.

What the heck are you guys playing that creates all these imagined limitations? It's a nice DP. That's all I need to say. SN Piano sounds great.

Non-keyboard related sounds like horn/sax are AWFUL however. Yamaha is better with those.

polyphony nonsense!? Trust me it's not nonsense.... I'm having to return my RD-700NX because of it, it's ridiculous (Although It's not really a polyphony issue) When paying about 6-8 notes or more, you can get this horrible 'cut off' and it IS an issue. If the same thing is happening on the FP-7F then there's just no point in the downgrade.

Although I'm very confused if the problem is still there or not, as someone has just said they found out the problem still exsists, and I've read on another post that someone tested this and the problem DOESN'T exsist... so very confused.

The playing audio direclty on USB is not outdated, and is a MUST-HAVE for me. I need to be able to trigger my audio backing tracks by pressing down on a foot pedal, or pressing an assigned key on the keyboard. As I need to be able to access different parts quickly on stage etc. I can't be doing with having an iPod plugged in (something else to think about) and having to quickly select the song and press play with another device in the way etc.

I should be able to do what the DP claims to do (without any problems!) Surely you must agree?

So are you saying you can't replicate this note 'cut off' problem at all??? and can you when playing back .WAV using the audio key??

This is the problem I was having on my NX www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNNGiJjPEI4 - So maybe you could confirm for me if it happens to you with your FP?? If so, I'll be very annoyed there's another option down the drain.

Thanks smile

R
R
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I'm sure you'll know the answer to the being able to trigger audio from a pedal etc for the Kawai??? And I'd like to think it doesn't 'do a roland' and compromises on other things when playing back audio.

I'm afraid it's not currently possible to use a pedal to trigger MP3/WAV playback on the MP6, only the 'PLAY' panel button. In my experience, Kawai's implementation of playing back MP3/WAV audio files from USB does not affect polyphony.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks James, Nice to hear it doesn't affect polyphony... but shame I can't trigger from anything else.

Do you know any of the answers to the Yamaha CP5 questions I asked above?? If the answers are the ones I hope to hear, maybe that'll be another option for me... as it sounds like the FP-7F might be having the same issues frown I hope not though!!

Thank you

Originally Posted by JHbackingtracs
Thanks James, Nice to hear it doesn't affect polyphony... but shame I can't trigger from anything else.

Yes, that'd be a handy feature - I'll have to suggest it to the MP chaps for a future software update. wink

As for your CP5 related questions, I'm afraid I do not know.

Originally Posted by JHbackingtracs
...it sounds like the FP-7F might be having the same issues

Well, I would be more inclined to wait for a response from Roland on this point. Internet forums are certainly a useful resource, however not everything posted on them is factually correct all the time.

Kind regards,
James
x

R
R
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by Nikalette
1. No note stealing

Have you tried playing back a WAV or MP3 file while playing several notes together quickly and repeatedly? I can get our NX to do the "decay stealing" thing with as few as 3 notes when playing back an MP3 - not a deal breaker but it doesn't make me particularly happy.

Please, if any owner of the FP7F could do this test, I'd be most grateful.

I'd hate to spend 1800€ only to discover about the polyphony issue later.. Even though I guess one could use an mp3 player connected to the line-in of the piano to play over a backing track I guess.

Okay. I just tried this and I can't get any notes to drop or do anything weird. (NOTE* I was playing back a WAVE file as I was struggling with it recognising my MP3 conversions for some reason). I have to add that I am a learner so I am not that proficient at scales and such like. I did the 'two palms down on the piano' test ( whome ) so i've hit a load of notes at the same time (not easy to hear but).

So. Not a definitive test but a result of sorts.. I'll try some more tests and if I hear any duff notes i'll post here again..

Regards. Rimmer

V
OP Offline
V
This is a relief! Thanks for testing it, and please keep us posted even if you do some more tests without finding any oddities wink

If you could hit a two-hands 8-notes chord repeatedly while keeping down the sustain pedal, that'd be the "Beethoven test" for me, and if the result is positive, would make it a deal for me.

I'm so close to finally ordering now! :P

Last edited by VivatRudolphus; 03/09/11 10:20 AM.

Roland FP-7F
R
R
This is a relief! Thanks for testing it, and please keep us posted even if you do some more tests without finding any oddities wink

If you could hit a two-hands 8-notes chord repeatedly while keeping down the sustain pedal, that'd be the "Beethoven test" for me, and if the result is positive, would make it a deal for me.

I'm so close to finally ordering now! :P

Tried that. I can't get it to do anything weird.. I could always play a Beethoven midi file through it while the wave plays I suppose..

Regards. Rimmer

V
OP Offline
V
If you'd be so kind, I can provide you with two midi files which I think may be a good test for the FP-7F:

Beethoven "Hammerklavier" sonata, 1st mov

Beethoven "Waldstein" sonata, 1st mov

with the first being the most taxing. I'd like to know how it plays even while not playing a wav file in the background. If you could also record the output of the FP-7F, that'd be great. smile

Thanks for your patience..

Last edited by VivatRudolphus; 03/09/11 12:19 PM.

Roland FP-7F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for testing and reporting back Rimmer! On our NX an MP3 seems to load the system more than a WAV.

What I do is like in the video:
1. I play a WAV or MP3 file & turn the volume of the file playing down while leaving the volume of the DP up.
2. Play several consecutive white keys simultaneously with my hand. Play in a very quick stacatto fashion, making the repeat time as short as possible.

I don't have to use the pedal at all.

R
R
Originally Posted by Rimmer
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by Nikalette
1. No note stealing

Have you tried playing back a WAV or MP3 file while playing several notes together quickly and repeatedly? I can get our NX to do the "decay stealing" thing with as few as 3 notes when playing back an MP3 - not a deal breaker but it doesn't make me particularly happy.

Please, if any owner of the FP7F could do this test, I'd be most grateful.

I'd hate to spend 1800€ only to discover about the polyphony issue later.. Even though I guess one could use an mp3 player connected to the line-in of the piano to play over a backing track I guess.

Okay. I just tried this and I can't get any notes to drop or do anything weird. (NOTE* I was playing back a WAVE file as I was struggling with it recognising my MP3 conversions for some reason). I have to add that I am a learner so I am not that proficient at scales and such like. I did the 'two palms down on the piano' test ( whome ) so i've hit a load of notes at the same time (not easy to hear but).

So. Not a definitive test but a result of sorts.. I'll try some more tests and if I hear any duff notes i'll post here again..

Regards. Rimmer

Thanks a lot! smile

That's nice to hear... and a relief!!

The problem doesn't actually occur on the NX with sustain... it seems to be just the ending of the notes that 'cut' (even when playing slowly sometimes and in a non staccato manner)

I'd be playing back WAV anyway, so great to hear you can't get the problem... especially if you've done the palms of hands all over!

Of course I'll try this myself before I buy, as I need to make 100% sure (not that I doubt you) and still waiting to hear back from this Roland guy who has contacted Japan about the issue to see if any other issues will magically appear.

Nice to know this sounds like it's going to be another option now smile even if I am loosing countless features downgrading from the NX!

I'll report back with the CP5 test as well....

Cheers

R
R
I am happy to do a recording of the output of the FP-7F with those midi files and i'll try and get it to give me a positive response to the Mp3's i'm throwing at it. If the system is on the edge, then playing an Mp3 instead of a Wave might give it too much to think about.

Problem is, i'm going away working until late next week so I wont get a chance now. I simply don't have any time left this evening to do it so if someone wants to remind me the end of next week then it shall be done..!

Cheers. Rimmer

V
OP Offline
V
I have some news regarding the issues of note stealing.

I pointed those three videos ( one two three ) to an owner of an FP-7F, a youtube user, and I got this response (he consented to putting it here):

Originally Posted by qu4ntum81
I took a look at the videos you linked, and attempted to replicate the problems.

For videos 1 and 3, the issue with the strings, I was able to replicate. However, only with the default 'Rich Strings'. When layering my piano with a few of the other strings, this oddity did not occur, leaving me to guess that the problem may only exist with this one particular string set, and it's unlikely to be related to polyphony limitations. Polyphony of 128 is quite a lot, and I think it'd be difficult to overcome. My old SP-250 had polyphony of 60, and I only noticed notes being cut off while layering strings and sustaining for more than a few seconds. I actually prefer layering strings on the piece afterward, thinking that it sounds better when playing simpler string chords alongside a song, but if you're doing live stage performances then obviously you wouldn't have that option.

For video 2, I was not able to reproduce the problem. Hitting 8 notes at a time repeatedly sounded perfectly fine to me on my piano using the default supernatural grand piano 1.

Roland FP-7F
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission