2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
I am toying with the idea of purchasing a keyboard arranger, 61 key. I would welcome suggestions based on experience.

My main instrument is now a Yamaha CLP330 (GH3 style keyboard).

I would like to get one for less than $2000 and if possible, less than $1000.

Thanks.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by dmd
I am toying with the idea of purchasing a keyboard arranger, 61 key. I would welcome suggestions based on experience.

My main instrument is now a Yamaha CLP330 (GH3 style keyboard).

I would like to get one for less than $2000 and if possible, less than $1000.

Thanks.

Software like "One Man Band" will emulate a Yamaha arranger keyboard and even play Yamaha format "style" files using a computer and your CLP330.

I had an older Roland arranger keyboard, well I still have it in a closet. One of the things to think about is the musical taste or lack of same of the built-in accompaniment styles. My older Roland is filed with a billion patterns that must have been popular in the 1970's disco era. These instruments contain not just sounds and voices but music. Make sure you like the music.

I prefer software on the computer for this function because I think the user interface is better and gets better with each software update. And I'm spoiled by the much larger screen size.

Last edited by ChrisA; 03/09/11 03:40 PM.
E
E
The nice thing about an arranger kb is its portability making it very good for gigs. The auto accompaniment makes it a natural for a small 1 or 2 man band. Single performers usually sing but I can't sing so I gig with a sax player :-)

I have been very happy with my Yamaha PSR-S910 (and the PSR3000 before that). It has lots of really convenient features (like unlimited named registrations, split, layers, etc.). It goes for about $1750 but 15% off deals are readily available.

There is a very good user group, PSRtutorial.com, with lots of helpful tutorials and many forum resources for getting the most out of these kbs.

That said, I only use the arranger for gigs and a little light entertaining at home. For personal pleasure at home I prefer my acoustic piano.

Ed

Ed (Out in the West Texas town of El Paso)
Yamaha P255
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ChrisA
Software like "One Man Band" will emulate a Yamaha arranger keyboard and even play Yamaha format "style" files using a computer and your CLP330.

I prefer software on the computer for this function because I think the user interface is better and gets better with each software update. And I'm spoiled by the much larger screen size.

I have OMB but I thought an arranger keyboard would work better because the sound would all come through my piano speakers.
Invalid ?

Also, unfortunately, I cannot always play things right "on time" and this way, the background would "wait" for me to play the chord with my left hand before continuing. This probably is not a good reason but it is my reason.
Poor idea ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Casio just released a new arranger board--WK7500 for a street price of $499. It looks to have a lot on it for the money. It has a 16 track sequencer built in and has 800 sounds with built in accompaniment and rhythms. The keys are unweighted and it has USB MIDI which you may not care for as you can only connect to a computer. Otherwise, you can look at Korg, Yamaha, Roland. The new Juno's aren't bad for the money.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Have a look at Korg PA500.
If you want to use the piano as a Master keyboard or as a second keyboard you should be most happy with this it has the most professional MIDI configurability. It looks like a toy dont let this confuse you ....

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

There is also a new Roland BK-7m auto accomp compact module which looks very interesting. This could obviously be operated from another keyboard. I am due to review it for a magazine article in the near future but have not seen the product yet.

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by funkycornwall
There is also a new Roland BK-7m auto accomp compact module which looks very interesting. This could obviously be operated from another keyboard. I am due to review it for a magazine article in the near future but have not seen the product yet.

This does look very interesting. My only concern would be how to determine if it will be able to be fully usable with my Yamaha CLP330. There may be some sounds (drums, specifically) which my digital may not be able to reproduce due to technical shortcomings.

Don

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by dmd

This does look very interesting. My only concern would be how to determine if it will be able to be fully usable with my Yamaha CLP330. There may be some sounds (drums, specifically) which my digital may not be able to reproduce due to technical shortcomings.

I had to look this up on Roland's web site. It appears the tones are generated inside the BK-7m. It's not for sending MIDI to your piano. Your piano would send MIDI to the unit.

I still like software but it looks like the advantage of this thing is the physical knobs and buttons that are easier to use than a mouse.

That said most MIDI software can be configured to use a "control surface". You tell it to map some of the features to the surface's physical controls.

C
C
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
Casio just released a new arranger board--WK7500 for a street price of $499. It looks to have a lot on it for the money. It has a 16 track sequencer built in and has 800 sounds with built in accompaniment and rhythms. The keys are unweighted and it has USB MIDI which you may not care for as you can only connect to a computer. Otherwise, you can look at Korg, Yamaha, Roland. The new Juno's aren't bad for the money.

As of this date (Saturday,12 March) Sweetwater is STILL waiting for a shipment of the WK-7500's. They're supposed to be in next week and Sweetwater reportedly has a 2x line around the block worth of pre-orders!

More features for you here:

http://www.casio.com/products/Musical_Instruments/Workstation/WK-7500/

Last edited by casio WKZ; 03/12/11 04:24 PM.
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, as usual, my search is uncovering some other options ... more expensive (of course)...

CASIO AP620 and KAWAI MP6

Anyone with experience with either of these ?

Any thoughts on them ?

Don

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission