2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
It could make a great doctoral dissertation in communications, if anybody's looking for a topic. wink

monica, already been done, in a most amusing format:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

As a military veteran I can (and often do) swear like a sailor - but am able to restrain myself when posting on the internet. We have a broad spectrum of folks participating in PW - and we should behave accordingly - which includes avoiding profanities and being civil to each other. So what's the big deal???? crazy

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey
As a military veteran I can (and often do) swear like a sailor - but am able to restrain myself when posting on the internet. We have a broad spectrum of folks participating in PW - and we should behave accordingly - which includes avoiding profanities and being civil to each other. So what's the big deal???? crazy

I totally agree. It's mind-boggling. smile

-J

Originally Posted by beet31425

I wouldn't have minded as much (maybe not at all) if it had been announced and explained rather than having it take us by surprise.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

I wouldn't have minded as much (maybe not at all) if it had been announced and explained rather than having it take us by surprise.

Yes, I'd vote for more transparent communication from the moderators to the masses in general-- simple, clear statements about software changes, permanent and temporary bans, that sort of thing. But... their site, their rules. No problem with that.

-J

Understood.

I felt the same way recently when our health insurance plan (for which I pay an arm and leg every month) stopped covering "massage" in conjunction with chiropractic services - and didn't bother to notify us in advance. What a pain !! grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I was being sarcastic with my earlier post, FYI, and just as we should respect those who preach "proper and clean writing", we should respect the choice of those who like to express themselves in a different manner. It's a two way street.

Besides, there's no good word to substitute "[censored]!!!" when you happen to be particularly ticked off about something. And why should anyone take offense to that is beyond me. They're words, they're not directed AT anybody.

Plus, if I say "[censored] you" it can be just as offensive as being able to type the word itself. Moreover, it can even be MORE offensive because you don't exactly know what I wrote, but I'm sure you can let your imagination run wild... I honestly don't see the big deal; after all most of it is in good humour - a concept lost on some people.

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 03/07/11 02:57 PM.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You can click on 'Quote' for any post you want to see the actual curse words on. For instance, click 'Quote' on Angie's post and you can read what she wrote verbatim.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Plus, if I say "[censored] you" it can be just as offensive as being able to type the word itself. Moreover, it can even be MORE offensive because you don't exactly know what I wrote, but I'm sure you can let your imagination run wild... I honestly don't see the big deal; after all most of it is in good humour - a concept lost on some people.

Angelina, I just discovered something about the forum censoring software. It only applies to how it's viewed. If I want to know exactly what you said I just quote a reply and it will be there in the editing pane. Your words do not actually get changed in the archive, just how it's viewed in the forum. So I can truthfully respond I'd love to, but the age difference would be awkward.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Originally Posted by eweiss
You can click on 'Quote' for any post you want to see the actual curse words on. For instance, click 'Quote' on Angie's post and you can read what she wrote verbatim.

Heck! I discovered that myself before when I quoted a post by Pogo.

And if people want to see what I really typed for that first word up there (where it says "heck"), all they have to do is look..... smile

I honestly don't see the big deal.

That's exactly how I feel about the other side of the argument. The world isn't going to end because someone can't say **** in a PM on an internet forum. smirk

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

I was being sarcastic with my earlier post, FYI, and just as we should respect those who preach "proper and clean writing", we should respect the choice of those who like to express themselves in a different manner. It's a two way street.

Isn't it really more about what is "appropriate" for a forum in which 12 and 13 year olds sometimes participate ??

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Isn't it really more about what is "appropriate" for a forum in which 12 and 13 year olds sometimes participate ??

Not just 12 and 13 year olds but people in general who find such language offensive.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Just for the record i couldn't care less, but i try to save using bad language for my friends who also don't care and avoid using in front of people who do.

Last edited by TheCannibalHaddock; 03/07/11 03:21 PM.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.

Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock

Not just 12 and 13 year olds but people in general who find such language offensive.

True.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Originally Posted by BruceD
I'm puzzled that some people think that the use of profanity in their writing makes their communication more effective.

That's actually a more interesting subject than might meet the eye. smile

First of all I imagine you'd say the same thing about using it in their speaking too.
So let's talk about the whole thing.....

Maybe this will be taking what you said too literally, but you're implying that the only reason to do or not do something in communication is for "effectiveness." How about for expressing oneself, and for the feeling that you get from expressing it a certain way? (and avoiding the stifling effect of being inhibited from expressing a feeling)? I would suggest that this is also a strong reason for ways of communicating. We might disagree on how large a portion that should be, but if you disagree that it's any portion, IMO you would be mistaken.

Once we acknowledge that this reason is also in there, to any extent, the subject becomes up for grabs.

P.S. For what it's worth, in "The King's Speech," the ability to let loose with obscenities was portrayed as being important (or at least not irrelevant) to his getting over his problem -- and I agree with that, although this can be taken to simplistic extremes -- and, by extension, we might say that in general, overly inhibiting such communication isn't good for the human condition. Sure, lines need to be drawn. But IMO it doesn't make it to say flat-out that there's no good reason for such expressiveness.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss

Heck! I discovered that myself before when I quoted a post by Pogo.

And if people want to see what I really typed for that first word up there (where it says "heck"), all they have to do is look..... smile

LOL It is true... shocked This way people will notice swearing even more because they will be curious and quote passages to know what the word was...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
I'm puzzled that some people think that the use of profanity in their writing makes their communication more effective.

That's actually a more interesting subject than might meet the eye. smile

It's a great subject. If we're talking about 'communication' and getting meaning across, then I'd say slang can say more in one word than an author can elegantly write in a few sentences.

That said, this is a public forum. smile

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I agree with Mr. Haddock, in that I really have nothing against foul language, but I reserve my use of it for when I'm alone or with someone who I know will not be offended by it and who can understand the spirit in which I'm using it. I'm also happy to not see it on internet forums (fora?) because there already is too much drama and uncivil behavior, and foul language especially without benefit of any non-verbal cues, only tends to fan the flames.

Lee
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
...i couldn't care less...

While we're on the subject of language, THANK YOU for getting this phrase correct. It's one of my pet peeves. laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission