2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I would like to suggest that the auto-sensor automatically convert every mention of crescendo or decrescendo to "hairpin," because that's usually what people are actually talking about, and I think it's "dirty" to call them crescendos and decrescendos. smile

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Yeah, and if it could automatically determine when a song is not a song, that would be heck good smirk

Rob
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by sandalholme
The owner of a web site can run it anyway s/he likes.

True enough.

But the owner of this site gives the option to send a private message. It is the site that uses this formulation. To then intervene in private messages in any way is kind of pathetic.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
PW just gets better and better every day.

1+

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
May we ask, what precipitated this recent change? Was there some problem?

I'm actually even more concerned about this automatic censorship of the forums than of PM's (maybe because I don't PM). smile

And I hadn't noticed any problem with obscenities or anything like that on the forums.....I do notice occasionally that posts get edited by moderators for obscenity, but from what I ever saw, that seemed quite rare.

Let me give a professional opinion, which I don't think I've ever done before on here. It looks to me like the site is going slightly insane. smile

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by sandalholme
The owner of a web site can run it anyway s/he likes. What's the problem with that? It's not a cooperative venture.

While it is obvious that the owner of a site can run it however they want, you are wrong about the cooperative aspect, because this site would be nothing without all the users. It definitely is a cooperative venture, even if the control mechanisms do not reside with the users. In case you haven't noticed, it is the users that are creating the content, not the site owner.

Last edited by wr; 03/07/11 07:45 AM.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Kind of ruined now though.

I only ever noticed a few questionable words from any forum member. Synonyms of urinate, defecate, and fornicate, mostly. So shut the fornicating up you urinating defecator. laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
lol i never receive PMs so i never get to experience this haha

Not a very effective censor, I might add. Of George Carlin's seven dirty words, it bleeps only three of them. smile

Originally Posted by Mark_C

Let me give a professional opinion, which I don't think I've ever done before on here. It looks to me like the site is going slightly insane. smile

The change isn't that recent. It happened about a year ago when the software was updated I think. Overall, censoring has been a welcome addition. We try to make sure the site has a PG rating, and since it was implemented, it's greatly reduced having to fix people's posts manually.

And the forums go predictably insane about once every year or so. It might interest you to know that it's fairly predictable, and the same things happen each time. New users mysteriously pop up, posts go quasi-viral with garbage, some people leave... The topics raised in this thread have also been raised before. PM privacy, the abilities of moderators, who the site really "belongs" to, etc...

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I just don ´t get how anyone can put "privacy" and "internet" in the same sentence. Or expect these two terms to be together. Please. I understand the banning of certain members may displease some , but come on.

Having said that, when changes such as these take place, maybe users should be informed. Although i don t see the big deal about swear words being erased. I swear way too much, and i definitely know it adds nothing good to my persona. Swearing is like smoking - we may enjoy it sometimes, but most times it s useless and plain SUCKS

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Personally, I don't have a problem with censorship on this forum.
It is, in fact, a refreshing change to know that I can recommend anyone, be it a student,(who may well be a minor), or friend, to this forum, in the knowledge that they will not be offended, by the content.
I applaud the owner for keeping it this way, and respect his views, when stopping by, his 'house'.

If I want to converse, and I use the term loosely, in an 'adult' manner, with anyone, I would step outside of this 'house' and do so in private. PM's are not (necessarily) private, on any forum, so feel free to curse away to your heart's content, via email, Facebook, telephone, or wherever.

Rob
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
folks, this is the INTERWEB and you should assume anything you post anywhere (yes, that includes your private emails) can be read by others (sysadmins etc.), the exception being TLS & SSL encrypted services.

forewarned is forearmed.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Entheo
folks, this is the INTERWEB and you should assume anything you post anywhere (yes, that includes your private emails) can be read by others (sysadmins etc.), the exception being TLS & SSL encrypted services.

forewarned is forearmed.
thumb It's a good idea to view all of your internet posts as your public face. You never know if a potential employer can access what you post. I always question the anonymity of the internet. You never know....

Best regards,

Deborah
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
Originally Posted by Entheo

forewarned is forearmed.
thumb It's a good idea to view all of your internet posts as your public face. You never know if a potential employer can access what you post. I always question the anonymity of the internet. You never know....

Right. I'm even careful about what I say in person, too!

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gooddog
It's a good idea to view all of your internet posts as your public face. You never know if a potential employer can access what you post. I always question the anonymity of the internet. You never know....

I'm certainly under no allusions. I do not accept Facebook friend requests from anyone at, or associated with, my place of employment- and that applies to my former employer in London. And NEVER do I mention anything work related in a newsfeed.

For all that, I certainly access Facebook at work (so does everyone else) along with PW of course. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now!

Here's a question for someone perhaps more familiar with forum software: when you delete PMs, are they really gone or still sitting around someplace?

Jason
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Not 100% sure on that one, but if the recipient hasn't deleted it, also............

Rob
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by izaldu
Swearing is like smoking - we may enjoy it sometimes, but most times it s useless and plain SUCKS

There's nothing like having a roll up and a cup of tea first thing in the morning! But after that it sort of loses its novelty.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Kreisler

The change isn't that recent. It happened about a year ago when the software was updated I think. Overall, censoring has been a welcome addition. We try to make sure the site has a PG rating, and since it was implemented, it's greatly reduced having to fix people's posts manually.

And the forums go predictably insane about once every year or so. It might interest you to know that it's fairly predictable, and the same things happen each time. New users mysteriously pop up, posts go quasi-viral with garbage, some people leave... The topics raised in this thread have also been raised before. PM privacy, the abilities of moderators, who the site really "belongs" to, etc...

Thanks for the clarification.

As a long time government employee I learned to be very careful about what I said on the internet - including private e-mails. Anything you put out there can (and will) come back to haunt you !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
....I think censoring words on PW is new now....

OK -- that explains a little surprise I had yesterday.

I typed "heck" in a post yesterday but it came out as "heck."
Nothing like that ever happened before. I mean, I'm pretty sure I said "heck" a few times in the past and it always came out before as "heck," just the way I typed it, but this time it came out as "heck."

Edit: So.....they all came out as heck.
Not that I didn't expect it. ha

P.S. If anyone doesn't know what was the word that I typed instead of "heck"......well, that's easy -- just look it up in the dictionary under.....aah, what the heck, if I type it again I'm sure it'll just come out again as "heck".....

In fact, now you never know if someone said "heck" or "heck."
(Dam, 2 hecks again.) ha

BTW: For what it's worth, IMHO it would have been good to announce the new automatic censor when it was put in. Not that much of a big deal, but it would have been a 'nice touch' rather than making us be taken by surprise.

MarkC, thanks for the good laugh! That was a hilarious post!

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission