2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1635184 03/06/11 09:28 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Monica (and anyone else) have you ever played La Valse d'Amelie? I'm just listening to it now, it's a great piece. I'm wondering how hard it is compared to other pieces of this sort.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Here is a very high quality version of it. Looks like a lot of work, but worth the effort.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
it's easy.. really

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Hmmm.... "easy" wouldn't be the word I'd use for it, but it's not insurmountably difficult. It's not quite as fast as some of Tiersen's other pieces, e.g., the Tabarly album. I tried to sight-read it once, didn't get too far, and decided it would take more effort to learn than I wanted to expend at the time, so I put it away in my "to learn later" pile. It's a pretty big pile. laugh

Speaking of Tiersen, I bought his most recent album, "Dust Lane." It's markedly different in tone than "Amelie" and his earlier work. Apparently he was striving to hit the American adult alternative market with it, but I gather that a lot of fans weren't too happy about the switch. I like the album a lot, even though it doesn't have any good solo piano potential.

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Mark, thanks for that YouTube! It's great to see the hands. (Plus, I want to know who that kid is, and how it is that he is able to make those cool black and white videos with that beautiful piano!)

I just read through the score with the music playing again (after watching the YouTube kid's perfect hands!)

I would say, at least for me, that although this music has more "notes" (i.e more variety in melodic lines) than the Comptine piece, it looks like this one would ultimately be easier to play. (I still get tension with Comptine and am nowhere near where I'd want to be to record it). I think what Monica said is right though, it would take a little longer to get the piece into your fingers probably. Funny how that stuff works. Comptine was in my fingers and in my brain in like a day, and after about a week, that piece, in terms of what's on the page, is just so "simple" (which is not to say that it's easy to play).

Monica, what's the Tabarly album?? I haven't heard of Dust Lane either, I take it it's not solo piano? Have you heard his music from the movie Good-Bye Lenin? I have not seen the movie, but my mother just watched it and she was telling me about the music, which is what made me go back and listen to this Valse.

I'm working on a few pieces that are in various stages of completion (i.e. none of them are complete!) but maybe I'll try to play through La Valse D'Amelie when spring break starts. If it seems reasonable, I'll put it on my practice menu. If it's too hard, it'll have to join my pile of future pieces!

P.S. remember to use your filter when Apple says something is easy, she can play anything! smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Tabarly" is a soundtrack he did. Musically, it's a lot like "Goodbye, Lenin." Here's the title track; the rest of the music is similar in theme/melody, just different tempos and instrumentation.

"Dust Lane" was meant, I think, to be his entree into the album charts. Not sure it succeeded, but I like it. heart My favorite song on the album is "Palestine." The first time I heard it, I thought it was horrible. The lyrics, btw, consist of nothing but spelling out the word "Palestine." The third or fourth time I heard it I started humming it. Then I found myself hitting "repeat" on the iPod. It's strangely captivating.

I like "Goodbye, Lenin," quite a bit. The movie is very enjoyable, too. It's a comedy about a family in Eastern Germany whose mother falls in a coma before the Wall comes down. When she comes out of the coma, the doctors warn that she should not be stressed out, so the family goes to great lengths to hide the collapse of the Soviet Union.

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
I'm listening to Palestine right now. This sounds a lot like stuff I used to listen to when I was in high school (and wore all black and shaved my head! Not that there's anything wrong with that! grin )

But I can see how it would grow on you, and I can also hear how it's Tiersen-esque, in its own way! I bet no one will remember this, but several years ago, I posted a link to a Japanese commercial with this really intense piano music (the commercial was for Kumon, I'll have to see if I can find it online). Somehow, this reminds me of that.

It's been a long time since I listened, but I'm thinking the Tabarly music reminds me of Glass's music for the Hours. Both are like right at the edge of the kind of music I like, a little bit too minimalist at times, perfect at others.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Ooh, I found the music from the TV commercial I mentioned above! Way back when, I emailed with this pianist, and he said he had considered releasing sheet music for it, but I don't remember what ever happened. (I still have the email, back from 2006).

Anyway, give a listen if you have a minute, this is the full piece, not the commercial! The piano and the video are both his creations.

Takagi Masakatsu "Girls"

(How do you embed a YouTub video??)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K
...My favorite song on the album is "Palestine." The first time I heard it, I thought it was horrible.

Sometimes first impressions are the best impressions...

Originally Posted by Monica K
I like "Goodbye, Lenin," quite a bit. The movie is very enjoyable, too. It's a comedy about a family in Eastern Germany whose mother falls in a coma before the Wall comes down. When she comes out of the coma, the doctors warn that she should not be stressed out, so the family goes to great lengths to hide the collapse of the Soviet Union.

You'd think she'd jump for joy at that great news - but I guess even that reaction could be "stressful" in a way...

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

(How do you embed a YouTub video??)

Go to full reply, and click the blue box. It then gives you the option of the different video services including u tube.

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Ahh, the one that says "enter a media tag" I was wondering what that was, but didn't actually click. Now I can see that it gives you several video options. Thanks, good to know! Let's see if it works. Here's the Takagi video again, please watch it, I'll be curious to hear what people think!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I'm listening to Palestine right now. This sounds a lot like stuff I used to listen to when I was in high school (and wore all black and shaved my head! Not that there's anything wrong with that! grin )

Shiro, I think I can speak for the entire forum that we will not believe this statement without photographic evidence of you with a shaved head! eek

There are other songs on "Dust Lane" that are a lot closer to Tiersen's usual style.

I liked that Takagi piece a lot, but it sounded like a nightmare to play. Was the video supposed to have all the jumbled up colors or is that my computer acting up again?

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Shiro, I think I can speak for the entire forum that we will not believe this statement without photographic evidence of you with a shaved head!

Monica, let me think about that. I have a few photos, but they are excellent blackmail material!

Re the Takagi piece, yep, I think it would be a nightmare to play! I guess I was pretty optimistic back in 2006 when I thought I could tackle it. Now, I listen to it and I can just imagine the pain and suffering it would cause me! Ah the wisdom that time brings! whome

Re the video, nope not your computer, that's Takagi's "visual" art, he does video installations, or did, I don't know how active he is these days!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I did some digging and couldn't find the score for solo piano played in 2nd post.

Yann Tiersen - La Valse d'Amelie

I'm not sure if it's found in the Six Pieces for Piano vol. 1 and 2 seen on sheetmusicplus and thus turn to the giant brain that is painoworld for confirmation.

Bad spellers of the world untie!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have Yann Tiersen six pieces pour piano Volume 2 and it contains:

Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres-midi
Le Moulin
La Dispute
Sur le fil
La Valse d'Amelie
Comptine d'ete No 2

It wasn't cheap....I got it at sheetmusicplus, but it is a beautifully produced collection of music. Very high quality paper and the book remains flat when opened. It also has a very nice print, both in terms of its darkness and its font.

Christine

[Linked Image]
^^^ Booya! much appreciated. smile

Bad spellers of the world untie!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro: "This sounds a lot like stuff I used to listen to when I was in high school (and wore all black and shaved my head! Not that there's anything wrong with that! grin )
'

I'll just tuck that tidbit of info away for another time. Carry on!

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

I'll just tuck that tidbit of info away for another time. Carry on!

I am in trouble now!!

whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
I have been working on this piece (La Valse d'Amelie). I find it somewhat difficult, but I play it well enough to please myself and have fun doing it. Took me about 3 weeks to get to that point. I also play other songs from the move "Amelie" that I find not as hard and also very beautiful.
The recording you posted (with the young guy) is not my favorite recording of this song, I have found ones I like better. To me, he plays it mechanically without much feeling. Just my opinion.

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
PianoFran, and all, I am going to start working on this piece, probably tomorrow night (I actually need to study for a midterm tonight, kick me off ABF!) Then we go on Spring Break, so I am hoping to get a fast start to La Valse and make some progress on other pieces before school starts up again.

I picked through it one handed just now, and then listened again while following along with the score. It's conceptually very simple (just like Comptine), but it really needs a certain tempo to bring out what's most beautiful in the music. My score says 150 for the middle part, but there are only eighth notes (or slower) so that should be doable. Also, it looks a lot like some of the exercises in my Alfred's Complete Scale book grin so I am going to approach the middle sections like I do scales, as pieces of music theory. Then I am going to work on the piece from the middle out, and try to apporach it both as exercises in theory and as music.

Monica, I bet if you did that it would seem much easier than it did the first time you tried it.

I play it well enough to please myself and have fun doing it.

That's such a good way to put it! It's like that's one stage of the process of polishing a piece, and sometimes motivation depends on how quickly we can get to that point. I suspect if I can get the tempo up to 120 in a fairly short amount of time, that I will get to that stage quickly. And if I can't get the tempo up there, then I will probably feel more frustrated than I anticipated! smile

I'll have to report back, say around March 11th.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission