2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1634655 03/06/11 06:02 AM
V
OP Offline
V
I would like to ask the FP-7F owners on this forum about two major issues of this piano I've been reading about, and which are holding me back from finally buying it.
I've been reading basically everything on this forum about the FP-7F, but I'd like some more "direct" opinions and impressions.

First, what's your experience with the "note stealing" (polyphony) issue with SuperNatural patches? I've read it's an FP-7F problem too, since it shares the same processor as the RD700-NX, and I am quite worried about this issue and about how likely it would happen while playing.

The second issue I'd like to receive some feedback from owners is the key wear. Did they finally fix the problem on ivory feel? How are your keys?

If you want to add anything about your experience with the piano it would be most appreciated, thanks in advance. smile

Roland FP-7F
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by VivatRudolphus
I've read it's an FP-7F problem too, since it shares the same processor as the RD700-NX...

Do you have a source for this please?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I've read it's an FP-7F problem too, since it shares the same processor as the RD700-NX...

Do you have a source for this please?

Kind regards,
James
x

I remember reading it somewhere (I've been reading a lot of forums, youtube comments, etc) but I have no verifiable source, I'm sorry.

Roland FP-7F
Okay thanks.

While there are certainly some incredibly knowledgeable folks contributing to the various keyboard/digital piano forums, I believe it's important to take everything that is read with a pinch of salt - especially when there are often no sources to back-up any of the claims that are made.

Cheers,
James
x

S
S
I'm a roland fan. I have a 80's RD piano (will never sell) and had a fp-2 for many years. I spent at least an hour playing the fp-7f the other night and I didn't care for the action or keys at all. The keys were slippery to me and I didn't like the fact that they were not bright white. I thought the sounds were dull in the base end. The keys felt bottomed out to me. I had a FP-2 for many years and it was nicer action. I prefer the Yamaha p-155 action. It's a little heavy but felt more controllable to me. If you like the roland actions I would suggest the regular FP-7. It was simalar but at least looked normal and you can get one for about 400 less. With all the hype about the 7f - I almost bought one online site unseen - BOY i'm glad I didn't - I would not have liked it. I think if I went roland right now I would go the fp-4 b/c i like that action. I guess the bottom line is... don't listen to me - try one out - don't get one site unseen.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
V
OP Offline
V
mitzysman, I have tried the FP7F and I found its action quite good, in comparison to many others I have tried and felt somewhat "spongy". Maybe they feel heavier because of this?
I'm a complete newbie to digital pianos so maybe my opinion was already biased towards the FP7F when I tried other actions (having read the forums beforehand). Unfortunately I couldn't try any Kawai (MP6 most notably) so I can't compare it to those other DPs I may be interested in.

Roland FP-7F
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
1. No note stealing

2. Keys feel fantastic

Love the piano more than the day it came. I haven't even messed around with all the features because I'm so pleased with the SN Grand Piano voice.

With the gorgeous design of the music stand (transparent) and the stand (sleek) it's kind of a cross between a stage and home piano, because it doesn't LOOK like a slap, nor does it attempt to look like a "real" piano. Like the V, it's appearance is unique.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
One thing that's different on the FP7F is that once turned on, it takes about 5 seconds for sound to be produced from the keys.

That was a new one for me.

V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Nikalette
1. No note stealing

2. Keys feel fantastic

Love the piano more than the day it came. I haven't even messed around with all the features because I'm so pleased with the SN Grand Piano voice.

With the gorgeous design of the music stand (transparent) and the stand (sleek) it's kind of a cross between a stage and home piano, because it doesn't LOOK like a slap, nor does it attempt to look like a "real" piano. Like the V, it's appearance is unique.

One thing that's different on the FP7F is that once turned on, it takes about 5 seconds for sound to be produced from the keys.

Thanks for your impressions, can I ask a couple more things? Those are not deal breakers but something I'm interested in:

1. Can the rotary effect on organs be controlled via a pedal?
2. What's your opinion regarding the electric piano? Does it have a convincing growl like the rhodes? I have not found any demo of this on youtube..

Roland FP-7F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
1. No note stealing

Have you tried playing back a WAV or MP3 file while playing several notes together quickly and repeatedly? I can get our NX to do the "decay stealing" thing with as few as 3 notes when playing back an MP3 - not a deal breaker but it doesn't make me particularly happy.

The OS has to boot - a fact of modern life it seems. Almost no one does anything in assembly anymore. Which is probably why the NX has the "decay stealing" issue in the first place, come to think of it.

V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by dewster
1. No note stealing

Have you tried playing back a WAV or MP3 file while playing several notes together quickly and repeatedly? I can get our NX to do the "decay stealing" thing with as few as 3 notes when playing back an MP3 - not a deal breaker but it doesn't make me particularly happy.

Please, if any owner of the FP7F could do this test, I'd be most grateful.

I'd hate to spend 1800€ only to discover about the polyphony issue later.. Even though I guess one could use an mp3 player connected to the line-in of the piano to play over a backing track I guess.

Roland FP-7F
Unfortunately I couldn't try any Kawai (MP6 most notably) so I can't compare it to those other DPs I may be interested in.

VivatRudolphus, may I ask why not? Kawai instruments are distributed in Italy by Furcht Piano, Milan. For more information, please visit the following websites:

http://www.furcht.it
http://www.kawai.it

Kind regards,
James
x

V
OP Offline
V
Unfortunately I couldn't try any Kawai (MP6 most notably) so I can't compare it to those other DPs I may be interested in.

VivatRudolphus, may I ask why not?

The store I went to (in Rome - and it's quite a big store), had plenty of Kawai acoustics but only an MP8 (which I didn't try because I was not considering Kawai yet). I was in Rome because of other reasons and could try many DPs, something it would have not been possible where I live. While there's a Kawai showroom near my town, they only sell acoustic pianos.
There's a very traditional approach to piano, especially here in the south of Italy, so it's hard to find DPs, and even more DPs by "less known" constructors available for testing. frown

Kawai instruments are distributed in Italy by Furcht Piano, Milan. For more information, please visit the following websites:

http://www.furcht.it
http://www.kawai.it/

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks for the links, I've checked those but the MP6 is not listed among the models they import in Italy. And the showroom locator actually locates one near my town, but as I said they only sell acoustics.

Roland FP-7F
VivatRudolphus,

Thanks for the links, I've checked those but the MP6 is not listed among the models they import in Italy.

As far as I am aware, Furcht Piano will be distributing the MP6 throughout Italy. Even though this instrument is not currently listed on their websites, I would still recommend contacting the company to request further information.

Kind regards,
James
x

R
R
Originally Posted by dewster
1. No note stealing

Please, if any owner of the FP7F could do this test, I'd be most grateful.

I'd hate to spend 1800€ only to discover about the polyphony issue later.. Even though I guess one could use an mp3 player connected to the line-in of the piano to play over a backing track I guess.

That is a VERY good question, and is a deal breaker for me. frown

You may have seen my very annoyed posts about the note stealing/cut off issue with the NX, I'm still very annoyed it sounds like I'm going to have to downgrade to the FP (and will be loosing countless features) but the main thing i'm 'in' it for, is to have a very good sounding piano (e.g the SN) and the ability to play back backing tracks.

I wish I could say, if the worst happens I'll just plug an mp3 player in, but I need to be able to trigger the tracks from a key or pedal etc. (I was using a pedal on the NX) but I like the sound of this audio key.

People I've spoke to have said the processor in the FP7F can actually handle the SN pianos and we don't get the cut offs (which is great news) but no one has commented on the audio playback.... I was reading the manual, and it 'warns' you polophny may be reduced when playing back audio. There's a difference between it being reduced, and what it does now on the NX (just 'cutting' every note) so if it only reduces a few notes it might not be the biggest issue of the world.

I plan (in the next few weeks) to go and test one out, and I will test EVERYTHING to make sure this time when i don't get home I discover loads of issues like I did with the NX. It'll take me a while to get used to not having a lot of the NX features if I do end up getting it, and it's not as nice looking as the NX, but if it does the job and everything works I think I can justify downgrading to it. smile

Also, by the way, I was reading the online manual of the FP7F, and it seems you can control the organ rotary effect by a foot pedal (it's a shame we won't get a mod/pitch wheel) however I couldn't find ANYWHERE in the manual how to actually assign it, hopefully it'll be easy enough to figure out like on the NX. But it does say it can be done smile

I'll let you know how I get on....

Thanks,
James

V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by JHbackingtracks
I plan (in the next few weeks) to go and test one out, and I will test EVERYTHING to make sure this time when i don't get home I discover loads of issues like I did with the NX.

I'd appreciate it because unfortunately I can't do those tests myself since I had the possibility to test the FP7F only once and for a few minutes.

On a side note, I found a review by some guy from Netherlands on youtube. It's not in english though. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMLueern3lM

Roland FP-7F
R
R
I plan (in the next few weeks) to go and test one out, and I will test EVERYTHING to make sure this time when i don't get home I discover loads of issues like I did with the NX.

I'd appreciate it because unfortunately I can't do those tests myself since I had the possibility to test the FP7F only once and for a few minutes.

On a side note, I found a review by some guy from Netherlands on youtube. It's not in english though. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMLueern3lM

No problem - I'll be sure to test it out. (And EVERYTHING!) It's ridiculous that we actually HAVE to test it out to make sure there's not a problem... apart from it being Roland, with the money we're paying, there just should not be any issues like this.

It's bad enough having to downgrade from the NX after being used to it for the past 3 months, the whole point in the downgrade is so this problem doesn't occur.... so I really hope it doesn't happen... as there's nothing else out there in this price range that has brilliant piano sounds, and audio playback (that can be triggered from keys or pedals etc)

I have seen that video before! Thanks for sending it... I've been trying to watch as many as I can, but there's not many out there with the FP7F.

As soon as I know more, I will let you know everything, but as you can imagine I'm a very annoyed/frustrated Roland customer after everything I've been through the past 3 months (especially with the false hope of them saying the NX could be fixed) so I really hope there's no issues with the FP.

...there's nothing else out there in this price range that has brilliant piano sounds, and audio playback

The Yamaha CP50 and Kawai MP6 both feature audio playback from USB, high quality piano sounds, and the ability to adjust/control parameters in real-time. Both instruments can be purchased for less than an FP-7F.

Kind regards,
James
x

R
R
Thanks James,

I was looking at this Korg Kronos from what someone suggested in the other post, it looks very nice... shame it's going to be like nearly 4k for the 88 version though!

The 'problem' is with all these keyboards that just have the ability to playback audio, is you have to go through loads of menus (by the looks of things) and press play on a dedicated button.... rather than being able to assign a foot pedal to 'play' or having some keys at the bottom of they keyboard to trigger different parts etc.

I'm sure you'll know the answer to the being able to trigger audio from a pedal etc for the Kawai??? And I'd like to think it doesn't 'do a roland' and compromises on other things when playing back audio.

It is very annoying how I'm having to go and test the FP to make sure it doesn't have the issue.... I'm actually waiting for a response from the UK tech manager from Roland, who's emailed Japan to make sure 100% I won't have any of the same RD issues.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get over the fact the RD was absolutely perfect for what I wanted... expect this ridiculous note cut off issue. I did actually notice a few other minor silly issues the other day when having my last play on it, such as when coupling octave pianos, some random notes sustained (without pedal) and things like that.... but I'm sure issues like that could be fixed.

R
R
Just been having a listen to the CP50 and was quite impressed, especially with some of the yamaha piano sounds I've heard before (not brilliant)

What is the main difference between the CP5 and 50? As I would probably be able to afford the CP5 after having the NX.

However, the deal breaker for me is still if you can 'trigger' the audio playback?? as when playing in a show and I'm changing patches and going through a set, It would be great to 'start' the backing track from a pedal or something.

Also, the 'master EQ' would that effect the backing track as well??

Maybe the CP5 or 50 will be a new option for me smile Thanks for pointing it out!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission