2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Golly, I'm sitting here drinking, no!, sipping a glass of some kind of white wine (maybe chardonnay but it could be pinot grigio (is that white?)). I think that makes me a middle class snob. OTOH, I'm trying to teach myself how to play like Floyd Cramer so I might be sliding just a bit. I should probably change my drink to a straight up Jack.

Sandy

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think a true snob would have avoided this thread. Kind of like the guy that started the thread. What ever happened to him? [Linked Image]

R
R
A true snob would not allow non snobs to join his/her forum laugh

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by piRround
Golly, I'm sitting here drinking, no!, sipping a glass of some kind of white wine (maybe chardonnay but it could be pinot grigio (is that white?)).

Two buck chuck?

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What qualify someone to be middle class? It sounds like a desirable status! Not born in UK, like the rest of the world, I'm not familiar with this term, although I'm more familiar with these:

Rich and poor
Beautiful and ugly
Fat and slightly and old
Blue and white collars
Caucasian and other ethnics
Straight and gay
Mac and PC users
Grand and upright piano owners
Beginner and advance pianists
Etc etc

There should be a degree designed to teach how to categorize people so that it makes them feel proud or shameful.

Why can't we all just be ourselves and be happy with that?

Be yourself

This thread should be taken lightly I know that but what bothers me is the numerous negative comments towards England/Britain/UK.

As an English person I have always found this forum an exiting place to connect with Piano fans world wide and in particular from the USA. It's surprising to see such a shallow thread go from a humorous joke at the OP to a 'why I hate the UK...'

I know that if you want a nice life you have to earn it. Some people work for a grand piano room. I don't and never will but I'm still happy with my synth.

We are the melodies and the notes of your opus. We are the music of your life.
C
C
Would I qualify as a snob if I admitted that my dogs are named (seriously) Lady Penelope Fawnsworth Gilbert and The Dutchess of Royalwood Margeurite Gilbert? I call them Penny and Maggie for short.

Ignorance is not a point of view.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Only if they're corgis with littermates in very high places

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I am not sure what OP meant by middle class either. This might be one concept that is interpreted differently from a country to country.

In my country (Japan) the word middle class is often used to describe people in a certain social class like bourgeoisie in the west. You don’t really need to be rich but usually they have enough means to be comfortable since what characerizes them is culture. Typical middle classs young women in my time (20 plus years ago), studied musical instrument like piano and also required to participate in traditional arts such as Tea ceremony, flower arrangement, traditional poem, etc.. It is fitting to call some of those ladies as snobs since they grew very proud of their taste. On the other hand, even if you are rich, if you and your folks are bulgar (e.g. running a shady entertainment business, do not have any proper upbringing, etc), then you are not considered as belonging to the middle class.

In the states, it seems the middle class is often defined with financial terms as in recent political debate around tax cut. According to that debate, anyone who is making less than $120K and above poverty level is middle class. It does not matter how you made your money, young money (e.g. self made man) or old money (e.g. generatons of rich people). It’s so simple but yet so confusing for me. In addition, this blanket approach covers many people from totally different background. In this definition, middle class includes from PA coal miners to budding attorney to proffesors. That’s why the word middle class snob confuses me. There is no class system here, so middle class means that you are in the financial middle of the country. How can you be a snob here?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
That’s why the word middle class snob confuses me. There is no class system here, so middle class means that you are in the financial middle of the country.

I don't think you're confused. I think you're understanding of the very broad use of the term "middle class" in the US is correct.

How can you be a snob here?

I think this is why so many people are having fun with this thread! laugh

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
P
P
Originally Posted by Jamie147
This thread should be taken lightly I know that but what bothers me is the numerous negative comments towards England/Britain/UK.

I think to be fair, there haven't really been any negative comments towards the UK. On behalf of the UK, (if I may), I would like to apologise for the OP's manners and assure everyone that he doesn't in any way represent the rest of the UK!

I think the OP is drawing attention to the fact that this forum, unlike so many other internet forums, has not descended into rudeness and chaos. Instead it is frequented by more intelligent people, with a common interest of playing piano. Class doesn't come into it. Many other forums would have had this thread deleted by moderators.

Kawai CA67
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by John Frank
All that musical talent...and now sex appeal too...it's almost unfair ...but watch those snobbish middle class women Rickster...some of them are ruthless and will use you and abuse you and then toss you aside like an old, worn out shoe (not that I have any personal experience with this...).

JF

The ladies who work at the grocery store deli do seem to give me an extra smile and an extra portion of veggies every time I buy a deli plate. laugh

Rick

Yes, of course - that's how those wanton hussies always start their lethal seduction schemes - the next step is to offer to help you consume that deli plate accompanied by a six pack of Michelob Ultra Light (highly recommended for deli plates) in the privacy of their boudoirs - Careful! You've been advised...

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission