2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1631482 03/02/11 03:25 PM
C
ChrisA Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
As I write the Apple is demo'ing their new iPad running a new version of Garage Band. I think this is the one we've been waiting for. It does eight track recording and editing like most DAWs, Runs software virtual instruments, a guitar amp modeler and a bunch more, because it has touch screen allows you to play drums, guitar or keys right on the glass surface. Editing is slightly more intuitive because you can move notes, bars and other objects with fingers rather then mouse. The entire device fits on a piano's music rest. The new device is much thinner so it really would fit there.

It's a new category of device for musicians, lets you have most of what a computer can do but none of the hassle of setting things up and none of the space problem that even a small notebook has.

I don't think recording engineers will be giving up Pro Tools or Logic for this but at $499 a lot of musicians who might otherwise have bought a notebook might go for this. Most home users will never need more then 8 tracks

I've never liked having a computer and piano together because there is not a good place for the computer keyboard and mouse. The ergonomics is bad. This removes the problem by having fingers on screen controls, you scroll the page with a to finger swipe.

Of course I've not seen this up close yet. But the idea of moving the function one would have used a computer for into a small hand held device has lots of potential and in years to come will likely be the way must of us work

Yeah, it did look great.

Add the Line 6 Midi Mobilizer, and you could attach a MIDI keyboard, and have a really light setup.

I hope Pianoteq will release a version of Pianoteq PLAY soon....

Last edited by jens4711; 03/02/11 03:49 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes it looks great, can't wait to have a play with one of these, twice the power for the same price too so they're much better value. I would think this version would be fast enough for Pianoteq or Truepianos too. I wonder how long before we see a serious Piano app on iPad.

This a sweet midi interface for iPad

Alsesis i/o dock

Last edited by BazC; 03/02/11 04:01 PM.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jens4711
Add the Line 6 Midi Mobilizer, and you could attach a MIDI keyboard, and have a really light setup.

I would not assume that the Line 6 piece will be compatible with this. As I understand it, apps need to be specifically written for the Midi Mobilizer, and I would be surprised if Apple built in that support. But I'm sure Line 6 will try to get their piece to work with Garageband if they can.

It is more likely that GB will work with the standard Apple Core MIDI framework that was added to IOS 4.2 which I've read works with "MIDI over USB" via the iPad Camera Connection Kit, and a USB MIDI interface to get the 5-pin DIN connectors. The Line6 approach has the extra advantage of working on an iphone or ipod Touch, but it looks like Garageband won't work on those anyway...

C
ChrisA Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by BazC
...twice the power for the same price too so they're much better value. I would think this version would be fast enough for Pianoteq or Truepianos too...

I'm almost certain that the iPad has a far more powerful processor it it them 99% of the DPs on the market and certanly 10X the memory.

But it's also got wireless networking. So in theory you could have the iPad on the music rest and a rack of 12-core Mac Pro computers hidden in a closet doing the number crunching. No, not far fetched. Apple's Logic already works like that, you can off load processing to any other networked computer. Garage Band and Logic share the same basic audio/midi engine. It's more a matter of if they exposed the feature to the user or not.

Before the demo they said the real purpose of doing this application was to raise the bar so that other developers would have to follow. Maybe Pianoteq can't but some other company for sure will step up. I'd expect NI and a few others will be there first

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the info ChrisA - the specs and pricing of the new iPad look very impressive.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
E
ChrisA,

Here's a pix showing how I mounted a sliding shelf under my Celviano to hold the mac kb and mouse.
[Linked Image]
The shelf slides under the piano kb and out of sight when playing the piano.

Ed

Ed (Out in the West Texas town of El Paso)
Yamaha P255
Nice setup. wink

C
ChrisA Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Edtek
ChrisA,

Here's a pix showing how I mounted a sliding shelf under my Celviano to hold the mac kb and mouse.

The wireless connected keyboard and mouse makes for a clean installation. I've always thought the Mini is better suited for this than a notebook computer.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChrisA
But it's also got wireless networking. So in theory you could have the iPad on the music rest and a rack of 12-core Mac Pro computers hidden in a closet doing the number crunching. No, not far fetched. Apple's Logic already works like that, you can off load processing to any other networked computer. Garage Band and Logic share the same basic audio/midi engine.

Interesting, I didn't know Logic could do that, thanks for the info Chris.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
C
ChrisA Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C

Interesting, I didn't know Logic could do that, thanks for the info Chris.

The way it works is "Audio Units", can be network connected and run on the remote machine. "Audio Units" are Apple's name for a plug-in. These can be effects like a reverb or software instruments like Ivory or Pianoteq.

The feature may not be needed so much today because now you can run dozens of AUs on one computer. Those Mac Pros have 12-core Xeons inside I can't imagine needing several of them strapped together.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Edtek
ChrisA,

[Linked Image]
The shelf slides under the piano kb and out of sight when playing the piano.

Ed

Looks nice, but don't your knees bump into the shelf?

S
S
few points to note here (from an ipad user since launch and IOS developer from early days of iphone SDK)

a. Core MIDI based apps are the way move forward and not Line 6
b. iPad 1 supports GarageBand and the processor is good enough to run Garageband.
3. New price of iPad 1 makes it a bargain device.

iConnectMIDI appears to be very good for IOS users (musicians) http://www.iconnectmidi.com/

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
iConnect looks very cool! How do you know that iPad 1 will run Garageband though?

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
BazC, I believe one of the developers confirmed this point on twitter.

James
x

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK thanks James!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
S
S
Yes, James is right. Also many of the early documentation has reference to it. Other than iMovie most of the apps should work on iPad 1. £100 off is bargain price (or lower if you keep an eye on popular UK gadget forums - already saw many for £230ish for mint condition iPad1)

Originally Posted by BazC
How do you know that iPad 1 will run Garageband though?

Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by jens4711

I would not assume that the Line 6 piece will be compatible with this. As I understand it, apps need to be specifically written for the Midi Mobilizer, and I would be surprised if Apple built in that support.
Unfortunately for me, I am sure you are right.

I bought the Midi Mobilizer for my iPhone last year, and I have had some fun with it, but I can see now that is not the way to go, unless they find some way to make it work with core Midi. frown

E
E
@melodiaworks: There's no problem with knee clearance. The shelf is placed back from the front of the kb far enough that it's completely out of sight and well clear of my knees when it's recessed. I selected long throw and shallow (2") shelf arms and spent some time on my back measuring and trying out different locations to ensure there would be no problem.

Ed

Ed (Out in the West Texas town of El Paso)
Yamaha P255
S
S
Apple confirmed that Garageband is compatible with iPad (first version), also they released a preview video. Now all we need is to find out whether it is compatible with digital pianos via midi / camera kit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission