2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,331 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1630693 03/01/11 01:57 PM
I
inZion Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I've been asked to look into getting some sort of digital instrument for the small sanctuary to replace a defunct organ. It does not have to be complex, but good sound both as piano and organ plus ability to transpose are considered most important. We are not sure if an instrument with it's own speakers would be better, or a keyboard with external speakers. Any suggestions/ideas, as to type instrument and also make/model thoughts?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You may want to consider the Nord Stage EX 76. I played one yesterday. It has nice action, great piano sounds, fantastic organ sounds, and is able to transpose. It's also light weight. I expect there to be a price drop on them as well since Nord has now released the Nord Stage 2, and is already shipping the 88 key version. Take the link and listen to some of the organ and piano samples.

http://www.clavia.se/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_Stage_EX&clnsm=Information

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
D
D
Well the first question would be is the piano going to stay in the church? And if so do you have rat box?

I say this because I remember reading on some forum about someone who had a problem with mice. They got in there and really messed that digital up. And as it turned out having animals chew and urinate on your piano wasn't covered in his warranty.

Something to put into consideration.

Anyway that horrible dream aside, i've seen some churches around me go for the casio's. They're cheap enough and they do give out pretty good sound. Not the best to my ears when comparing to the better brands but then again your also saving quite a bit to. And as churches don't usually have a whole lot to blow seems like a nice choice.

I
inZion Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thank you...the piano will stay in the church...no mice so far.

We're most concerned that it have nice sound.

Thanks for the information on the Nord Stage 2...will check that out.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by inZion
Thank you...the piano will stay in the church...no mice so far.

We're most concerned that it have nice sound.

Thanks for the information on the Nord Stage 2...will check that out.

Yeah the Nord's got some of the best organ samples I've ever heard. Really stunning. Check the Stage EX 76, not Stage 2 76. The Stage EX ought cost a bit less as it's the older (but still incredible sounding, etc.) model.

I
inZion Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I was wondering about the older model...thank you.

Question (showing my total ignorance)...do you need to use this with external speakers? If so how do you choose them?

Also is there a way it can go in a cabinet so it would be less threatened when children are released from Sunday School?

Thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
inZion, when you say 'organ' sounds, are you referring to a classical pipe organ or a Hammond B3 etc.?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by inZion
I was wondering about the older model...thank you.

Question (showing my total ignorance)...do you need to use this with external speakers? If so how do you choose them?

You are going to need external speakers. Organ music is very powerfull and uses bass. This kind of sound simply does not come from little 4 inch speakers. I'd reserve a good fraction of your budget for a sound system. what to get depends in the size of the room and the number of people

The built-in speakers, if present normally are positioned so the player can hear and work for practice or if people are very nearby. For any other use you'll need speakers and need to position them for the audience, not the player.

How to choose? Ideally you'd bring recorded music like the kind you'd play with you to the store and audition the speakers from a representative distance. (if the last seating row is 50 feet back, then listen to the speakers from 50 feet distance.) and then buy them with a liberal exchange policy because many times they sound different in your place from the store. Lacking a good local retailer, take measurements and even photos and find an on-line retailer who will work with you. Never buy from a place like Amazon that offers zero professional advice. There are many who have staffs who know their stuff.

But, no way will you get a convining organ sound out of built-in speakers, organs tend to rattle the walls.

How to keep the kids off of it. Don't get a musician to sit on the bench and invite kids to try it. If you are lucky some will.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think the OP means pipe organ (but I could be wrong). If so, this is a product category that I'm always surprised that there aren't more (any?) targeted offerings for. A flexible pipe organ and good piano samples and good keys don't co-exist in anything that I'm aware of.

I'd say definitely go for external speakers, but they don't have to be much in a small setting, decent home stereo stuff can often be used when the output levels are rather low. If the keyboard has internal speakers the player might be able to use them for monitoring purposes.

I
inZion Offline OP
OP Offline
I
This isn't so much for performance but background...I'd guess more the hammond sound if that's all that's availble. I noticed a digital organ on the Nord web site...maybe that has the pipe organ sound but you lose the piano?

Thank you again.

I
inZion Offline OP
OP Offline
I

Re: "How to keep the kids off of it. Don't get a musician to sit on the bench and invite kids to try it. If you are lucky some will."

Good point...I guess I was thinking more of it being knocked over.

Online Content
inZion, most instruments feature both classical pipe organ and tonewheel (Hammond etc.) organ sounds, in additional to acoustic pianos. The Nord Stage and Electro offer this functionality with adjustable drawbars. The Nord Piano however does not have a dedicated organ section, meaning you would have to rely on the sample libraries here:

http://www.clavia.se/main.asp?tm=Li...mple_Library&clslib=Accordion/Organs

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Well it will depend on what you really want the instrument to do. Any digital piano will not work for playing classical Organ literature, because you won't have all of the voices available on a real organ with stop tabs, and you won't have a pedal board. If you get an Organ with pedals it won't make a good piano, because the key action won't be comparable. A lot will depend on your budget and what you want the instrument to do primarily. I personally if funds can be found would look into a one of the many digital drawbar type organs, and an Electronic piano.

Retired Army reserve Bandsman who now plays for the Joy of Music!!
I
inZion Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thank you RayE, What would be an example of recommended digital drawbar type organ, and by electronic you mean just a digital piano like Yamaha?

I
inZion Offline OP
OP Offline
I
PS I gather a DP like Yamaha or Roland would not fit the bill for organ sound from what I read here?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think Yamaha's organ patches are better than Roland's, but Nord's are much better than both. Nord has incredible pipe, B3, and Farfisa organ sounds. Really quite stunning.

http://www.clavia.se/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_C2_Organ&clncm=Information

Plus you can get the pedals:
http://www.clavia.se/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_Pedal_Keys_27

You'll have to consider keyboard type. Standard, unweighted keyboard is much faster and obviously better for quick gospel chops. Weighted will be more piano-sound oriented. Which sound will be used more often? Both types can be found in Nord Stage, depending on the model.

Roland FP-4
I
inZion Offline OP
OP Offline
I
We have an acoustic piano in the sanctuary, and need to add the organ sounds. But this sounds good enough to leave the piano behind. Probably whatever offers the most versatility.

V
V
What's the budget?

Before you reach the main digital organs Roland's might be worth a look
http://www.roland.com/classic/c230/productinfo/index.html

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vectistim
What's the budget?

Before you reach the main digital organs Roland's might be worth a look
http://www.roland.com/classic/c230/productinfo/index.html

Roland's classical instruments are beautiful. I've got to hand it to them. Their C30 Harpsichord is not only beautiful furniture wise, it sounds amazing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission