2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
OP Offline
C
i was watching Keith's version of ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE...

one thing I can't get over is noticing ALL THE IDEAS and phrases he seems to cram into an octave. I'm not a teacher and i'm working on my jazz chops, but for those of you more seasoned and experienced, i would love for your to weigh in your observations and thoughts about his playing in this piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLCGWh-VZhI&feature=related

again, what's striking to me is how many ideas he has stuffed into just an octave or two. it seems that he could solo endlessly in just an octave, constantly coming up with different phrasings and patterns.

Maybe you guys can offer a better perspective than me... i welcome your thoughts...

And more importantly, how do I get this into MY playing?! smile

Last edited by charliehornsby; 01/19/11 11:23 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Charlie

...ah yes, the genius that is Keith Jarrett!

I'm not particularly "seasoned" or "experienced" but I can suggest that you read this important book. It's been endorsed by Keith and I believe it will go a long way to answering your question.

Michael
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i love Jarrett. I have many transcriptions and one book of his music. I don't play well by ear, so reading sheet music, how he plays and has composed is most helpful for me.

there are these exercises...
Jarrett exercises posted here before .

and this thread with many helpful links. I particularly listen to Jarrett on my ipod while playing his sheet music.. that works pretty well for me.

I wanna play like Jarrett

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by charliehornsby

It starts by trusting your intuition. Once you get enough technique under your belt, time to let go and let the music tell you where it wants to go. smile

C
OP Offline
C
APPLE! great link!!!!!!! thank you!

very cool stuff!

L
L
looks like the link was removed probably a rule...any chance you can describe how to get there?

the link works here in KS.. i tried sending it by PM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
He's playing very fast in the clip you posted. Improvising is like extemporaneous speaking in a foreign language. Jarrett knows the language very well and can play (speak) a lot at a very fast tempo. Jarrett has been at it for many years and worked really hard when he was young to get really good at an early age. So that's how he does it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For Jarrett, outlining the chord changes with arpeggios and or continuous scale lines is like the A, B, Cs. He really knows how to do it in a fluent musical way... you can have all the inspiration and good intentions in the world but you won't get close to what Jarrett does if you don't know how to outline changes with single note lines. You should become very good at that if you hope to approach his kind of playing.

L
L
apple, oops my mistake; didn't realize that was the link, looking for something with a url or something! Thanks for the effort in sending the pm! mike

C
OP Offline
C
Jazz Plus. thank you for the insight. this is all great stuff. at least i am starting to understand the mechanics behind it. i mean, i at least know what sounds good. i hear what he's doing as a listener, but techincally, i wasn't sure. i had theories and thoughts, but this gives me insight as to what's going on.

i appreciate the conversation and the dialogue. it's a huge help and i can use this to practice. please feel free to add any other thoughts and insights. they are welcomed smile

C
OP Offline
C
Jazz Plus. thank you for the insight. this is all great stuff. at least i am starting to understand the mechanics behind it. i mean, i at least know what sounds good. i hear what he's doing as a listener, but techincally, i wasn't sure. i had theories and thoughts, but this gives me insight as to what's going on.

i appreciate the conversation and the dialogue. it's a huge help and i can use this to practice. please feel free to add any other thoughts and insights. they are welcomed smile

C
OP Offline
C
thanks cruiser! i just ordered that book. great call!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Transcribe Transcribe Transcribe.

I know plenty of people who actually went as far as to learn an entire album worth of music... they play along with the entire record note-by-note without any music at all... my friend actually did that plus learned the solos in all keys. It will take over an year to be able to do that, but after doing that, you can't help but to have those things come out in your playing.

I did learn Chick Corea's "Matrix" solos in 2 keys...I must have spent close to 4 months on it... it took me a while but some of that stuff is coming out in my playing. At first you are going to feel like the work you put in hasn't translated to any progress, but you start hearing new things, and coming up with your own way to play jarrett-like ideas over some changes.

Also, remember that this is a very slow process, be prepared to spend at least an year working through stuff like this. Some people make it their lifetime study to do stuff like this.

J
J
Originally Posted by eweiss

It starts by trusting your intuition. Once you get enough technique under your belt, time to let go and let the music tell you where it wants to go. smile

Sounds like what I'm aiming for smile

John

PS: I still immensely enjoy Jarrett's early works (Koln Concert & Bremen/Lausanne), been listening to them for well over 30 years.

"My piano is therapy for me" - Rick Wright.
Instrument: Rebuilt Kurzweil K2500XS and a bunch of great vintage virtual keyboards. New Kurzweil PC3X.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by eweiss

Once you get enough technique under your belt, time to let go and let the music tell you where it wants to go. smile

That's A LOT of technique to get under your belt to be able to play the kind of stuff Keith Jarrett does. You're talking about having enough chops to be able to do stuff like Chopin Etudes easily, and having really incredible ears. It took me like 3-4 months to learn a single Chick Corea solo like "Matrix", and well, someone like Keith Jarrett can probably play it by hearing it once.

I don't think the thread is about how to let things come out in your playing, as in improvising.. it's more about how to be able to do it at the level that Keith Jarrett does.. and that's something you might able to attain after 20 years diligent practice.

I remember in Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers", he talks about how most composers spend at least 15 years of training before they can produce something significant. I don't think improvising is any different.

I don't mean to sound too intimidating, but playing like Jarrett really is like asking someone if you can climb mount Everest. The question is, as one of my teacher put it.. are you really ready for that kind of spiritual commitment to put in that hours of practice and perfect your art? Bill Evans, John Coltrane, and most masters we know have put int 5-8hrs daily so that they have enough musical chops to let it come out. Are you ready to do that?

Last edited by etcetra; 03/01/11 02:43 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by etcetra
I remember in Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers", he talks about how most composers spend at least 15 years of training before they can produce something significant. I don't think improvising is any different.

It's 10.000 hours or approx 10 years - but who's counting smile
http://www.recipesforlearning.com/science-art-joy-learnin/10-thousand-hours/

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Not necessary in this order:
Play a lot of classical; Chopin, Ravel, Bach, Mozart.
Improvise on those tunes.
Play a lot of Jazz; ragtime, be-bop, free.
Even more improvising.
Listen closely to Ahmed Jahmals "white" album, Paul Bley's "Footloose" and "Open to Love".
Play some gospel and mix in some blues.
Learn to play the drums and when you think you're done; learn to play the soprano sax.
Learn Beatles songs - but on the guitar, sing them too in public.
Record your own pop album with you singing and then decide: "never again".
Sit for two months playing cocktail piano in a fancy restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden.
Learn the recorder. Learn the bass recorder.
Record an album playing the recorders and banging some drums.
Go to Germany, sit in a draughty church and pull out all the stops - have some fun playing the organ.
Meet with haughty German dude in Oslo, Norway whilst on tour with a major jazz soloist dude, in whose band you are playing electric keyboards and record in one day a solo piano album.
Yet again go to Germany, sit down with a Clavichord at either hand and record an album in a day.
Do two TV-shows with a couple of Norwegians and a couple of Swedes and then decide: "let's do an album, lets call it Belonging and let's do only first-takes."
Decide to play tunes from the Great American Songbook for 30-odd years and in-between throw in some solo concerts.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by chrisbell

Not necessary in this order:
Play a lot of classical; Chopin, Ravel, Bach, Mozart.
Improvise on those tunes.
Play a lot of Jazz; ragtime, be-bop, free.
Even more improvising.
Listen closely to Ahmed Jahmals "white" album, Paul Bley's "Footloose" and "Open to Love".
Play some gospel and mix in some blues.
Learn to play the drums and when you think you're done; learn to play the soprano sax.
Learn Beatles songs - but on the guitar, sing them too in public.
Record your own pop album with you singing and then decide: "never again".
Sit for two months playing cocktail piano in a fancy restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden.
Learn the recorder. Learn the bass recorder.
Record an album playing the recorders and banging some drums.
Go to Germany, sit in a draughty church and pull out all the stops - have some fun playing the organ.
Meet with haughty German dude in Oslo, Norway whilst on tour with a major jazz soloist dude, in whose band you are playing electric keyboards and record in one day a solo piano album.
Yet again go to Germany, sit down with a Clavichord at either hand and record an album in a day.
Do two TV-shows with a couple of Norwegians and a couple of Swedes and then decide: "let's do an album, lets call it Belonging and let's do only first-takes."
Decide to play tunes from the Great American Songbook for 30-odd years and in-between throw in some solo concerts.

I can play the recorder. That's got to be a start. wink

My kids LOVE the Koln Concert. THey found my CD on I-Tunes (which they use too) and broadcast it thruout the house with one of their fancy ipod things. It's much nicer to hear than Justin Bieber.

We've heard at least 20 times this month. I couldn't be happier.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission