2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Colin Miles, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 9 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
re: the authenticity of the film, a very enlightening segment on 60 Minutes yesterday:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7357190n&tag=contentMain;contentAux

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
laugh

Hurray! I guess I can write: "He who laughs last, laughs best.! yippie

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
I fully expected The King's Speech to be anointed at Hollywood's annual self-congratulatory fest. The Social Network (IMO a far better film) was just too hip and damned with faint praise.

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
I fully expected The King's Speech to be anointed at Hollywood's annual self-congratulatory fest. The Social Network (IMO a far better film) was just too hip and damned with faint praise.

I thought 'The Social Network' was the better film as well. Hollywood loves 'brits.'

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
laugh

Hurray! I guess I can write: "He who laughs last, laughs best.! yippie

Kathleen

Indeed you can. I can't remember when I enjoyed a film as much.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Social Network (IMO a far better film) was just too hip and damned with faint praise.

TSN was a snappily written little movie, tho very much a monet of a haystack. having been in sw & webdev much of my adult life i can say with some certainty that much of the intrigue portrayed in TSN boils down to long hours in meeting rooms and at computers figuring out very difficult technical problems (e.g. usability, reliability, maintainability, scalability, performance) to deliver a better mousetrap than anyone else. the idea of facebook has been around for @ 15 years, but zuckerberg nailed the implementation to create the killer app.

a good take on TSN here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jose-antonio-vargas/the-social-network-hollyw_b_747233.html

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Entheo

TSN was a snappily written little movie, tho very much a monet of a haystack. having been in sw & webdev much of my adult life i can say with some certainty that much of the intrigue portrayed in TSN boils down to long hours in meeting rooms and at computers figuring out very difficult technical problems (e.g. usability, reliability, maintainability, scalability, performance) to deliver a better mousetrap than anyone else. the idea of facebook has been around for @ 15 years, but zuckerberg nailed the implementation to create the killer app.

a good take on TSN here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jose-antonio-vargas/the-social-network-hollyw_b_747233.html

Very nice post, Entheo. I remember reading that Huffington article -and Vargas's profile of Zuckerberg in The New Yorker- some months before I saw the film. That said, I'm not inclined to be as critical of the film as Vargas is. Yes, I understand and agree with many of his points, but I think the film was a little more alert to its subject than Vargas gives it credit for.

The first scene alone is worth the price of admission, and a friend and I backtracked the DVD twice to savour it!

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by Hank Drake
I've never seen a more dangerous rewriting of history.

Try Gone with the Wind.

Except that nobody considers it a serious account of the civil war. Besides, it has Vivien Leigh at her most fetching. 3hearts

And Clark Gable at his most dashing! (Whatever Scarlett saw in that wimpy Ashley Wilkes I will never know.)

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I really loved TSN and my husband couldn't stand it. Well, he actually liked the movie but couldn't stand most of the characters. (Since I am attending college in my old age, I am much more understanding.)

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by DameMyra

Try Gone with the Wind.

Except that nobody considers it a serious account of the civil war. Besides, it has Vivien Leigh at her most fetching. 3hearts

And Clark Gable at his most dashing! (Whatever Scarlett saw in that wimpy Ashley Wilkes I will never know.)

Who was played by Leslie Howard, though not the pianist. I sometimes jokingly refer to the pianist as Ashley Wilkes, I'm not sure if anyone ever got the reference.

I guess I'll have to see this King's Speech when it comes out on DVD, but I don't have the slightest interest in the social network.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DameMyra

Try Gone with the Wind.

Who was played by Leslie Howard, though not the pianist. I sometimes jokingly refer to the pianist as Ashley Wilkes, I'm not sure if anyone ever got the reference.

I guess I'll have to see this King's Speech when it comes out on DVD, but I don't have the slightest interest in the social network.

Damon - I'm a lot older than you - and definitely a dinosaur when it comes to computers and the internet - BUT I found TSN quite fascinating and well made.

And - do you remember Leslie Howard (Ashley Wilkes) as a violinist in 1939's "Intermezzo" with Ingrid Bergman. Great flick.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
L
L
The King's Speech demonstrates the importance and significance of speech. It's very cool

L
L
Originally Posted by Leynary
The King's Speech demonstrates the importance and significance of speech. It's very cool

And yet, I found a great example of the importance of quality speech. You can check here and read about Martin Luther King's speech, in which he wanted to improve the civil rights of blacks and minorities in the United States, all in one speech. It's incredible, I think you'll find it interesting.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission