2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
KB7 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hello,everyone

What is the best piano course? I mean like a set of books;not a dvd series...What would be the best piano course for classical piano? I know how to play classical pieces like the 1st mvt. of Moonlight sonata and Rondo alla turca etc.,but I really want to be able to play pieces like Fantasie Impromptu Op. 66 (I know that wil take a while and a LOT of practice to learn it). So,are there any really good piano courses out there that train you classically? I want a very,very thorough coarse...But,I do know that it will take a lot of practice.

One thing I do know is that I do not want a teacher...
I absolutely LOVE to practice the piano and I ussually practice for 7 hours a day (I'm not kidding).
I'm not soft on myself,either...When I go to practice I go to practice. So,what would be the BEST piano course in book form?

BTW,I am self taught and I have only been playing for about 10 months.

Thanks

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
KB7 :

One may admire your dedication - 7 hours per day? - but there are some fallacies in your approach.

First, no course that I know of can "teach" anyone "how" to play the piano. Lists of pointers, pages of advice may be all well and good, but the text can't tell you if you are doing it right or not.

Secondly, seven hours a day practicing can be totally wasted time
- if you don't know what you are doing
- if you don't know whether or not what you are doing is right
- if you lose total concentration after the first hour or two
- if you don't have a program of study
- if you are practicing bad habits without knowing that they are bad

Serious and/or dedicated piano students rarely practice that much and most of them are under the guidance of a teacher. Only someone who knows how to develop technical and musical skills can tell you what you are doing right, what you are doing wrong, and how to correct potentially bad habits. No text is going to tell you that because no text can give you feedback on what you are doing.

You say that you know that you don't want a teacher. Why is that? It sounds, on the surface, at least, somewhat arrogant.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
(better check to be sure KB7's brother didn't hijack his account again)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Gosh. Yet another timbit that feels he's more intelligent than any teacher could possibly ever be. It's really not that difficult after all is it? You just hit the right notes at the right time and VOILA!
I'll be back later...I'm heading to Border's to pick up a book on flying. I'll be damned if I'm going to give my money to a flight instructor.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

K
KB7 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
A lot of sarcasm on here,isn't there?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KB7
You said it friend. And a lot of bitter piano teachers. Ignore them and do it your way. smile

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by KB7

There was no sarcasm intended in my post. I'm chagrined if you read it that way.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
You say that you know that you don't want a teacher. Why is that? It sounds, on the surface, at least, somewhat arrogant.

Believe it or not, not everyone wants or needs a teacher. The arrogance is assuming everyone does.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by eweiss

Believe it or not, not everyone wants or needs a teacher. The arrogance is assuming everyone does.

I don't assume that everyone needs a teacher. I suggested that the OP might do well to have one, given the length of time he has been self-taught, given the repertoire he has played, and the aspirations he has for more difficult repertoire.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Per Bruce...."First, no course that I know of can "teach" anyone "how" to play the piano. Lists of pointers, pages of advice may be all well and good, but the text can't tell you if you are doing it right or not." "Serious and/or dedicated piano students rarely practice that much and most of them are under the guidance of a teacher. Only someone who knows how to develop technical and musical skills can tell you what you are doing right, what you are doing wrong, and how to correct potentially bad habits. No text is going to tell you that because no text can give you feedback on what you are doing."

KB7 - The above is excellent advice. Don't waste your time trying to teach yourself. And FYI - Stores makes his living as a piano teacher - not a flight instructor.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Online Content

Originally Posted by eweiss

Eweiss - If someone is really SERIOUS about playing CLASSICAL repertoire well - they need the guidance of a good teacher - particularly during their formative years. If that is "arrogance" - so be it.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
K
KB7 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thank you so much,eweiss!

That's okay,BruceD. I have to say though,that I *do* know what I'm doing and I never get bored. The only reason I was asking for another course is because I have all of the Adult Alfred piano books and numerous other books on the subject but I have yet to find one that I really like and one that is very good.

Remember,anyone can put whatever they want in a book,but just as it is a gift to be a talnted pianist it is in my opinion an equal gift to be a wonderfully talented teacher. For instance,when I was living in Tennssee I went to look for a teacher and I came across one that lived close by. I went to her house to play for her and ask some questions. I asked her very kindly to play Fur Elise and she said quite abruptly,"No".

One day after I went to her house my father called another teacher and I talked to her on the phone. She told me that when you look for a teacher,quote,"It is NOT a one-way street...I think she would've been an excellent teacher,but it was her old phone number my father had called and she had moved to NH.

I like what Yundi Li said. quote,"The fingers follow the heart". He nailed it on the head when he said that.

**Just another thing I have to add***

I apologized for posting those dumb posts but we all do make mistakes. Furtermore,there are some very smug and sarcastic members on this forum. And BruceD,when I said there was a lot of sarcasm on this forum,I did not mean you. I meant stores and etheno or whatever his name is.

Last edited by KB7; 02/27/11 03:58 PM.
K
KB7 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
carey,it is not arrogance because I don't want a teacher. Very shortly I *will* be playing pieces such as Fantasie Impromptu,3rd mvt. of Moonlight sonata and the Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2.

My heart is in it so it has no choice but to happen.

It's not a Fantasie,it's a fact...

J
J
Originally Posted by KB7
carey,it is not arrogance because I don't want a teacher. Very shortly I *will* be playing pieces such as Fantasie Impromptu,3rd mvt. of Moonlight sonata and the Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2.

My heart is in it so it has no choice but to happen.

It's not a Fantasie,it's a fact...

It may be different for you, but one of the major lessons I have learned from the piano thus far is NOT to push things, and that, unlike in many other areas in life, the will can be a vice that can lead to physical tension and lack of musicality in playing.

For more on that subject William Westney's "The Perfect Wrong Note" is an excellent read.

Last edited by Jacob777; 02/27/11 04:29 PM.

Online Content

KB7 - I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm - but it takes more than "heart" to play the piano well. grin Nevertheless, give these pieces your best shot for now and see how you do.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
One thing a good teacher can do for you is help prevent you from injuring yourself. Things you might not notice like, how high your wrist is or if you are holding any tension in your hand, can cause serious injury and result in your not being able to play at all.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KB7
**Just another thing I have to add***

I apologized for posting those dumb posts but we all do make mistakes. Furtermore,there are some very smug and sarcastic members on this forum. And BruceD,when I said there was a lot of sarcasm on this forum,I did not mean you. I meant stores and etheno or whatever his name is.

if memory serves, KB7, wasn't it your brother who got into your account here and took the mickey out of many of these well-meaning members? considering past history and the bent of your post i was simply reminding folks to keep their guards up... hardly smug or sarcastic.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission