2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (1957, ambrozy, 8ude, chaplincap, AndrewJCW, Bett, ChadUK, AWilley, 11 invisible), 553 guests, and 553 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Bach Inventions Thread
bluekeys #1622939 02/18/11 01:29 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Jazzwee - good point on the arm motion. I like the fact that it forces you to think about each note as you align the arm. Obviously not something you want to do at speed, but it adds a great new dimension to slow play.

I thought about putting up a new #2 today, but we have temps in the 70's for the first time in months today, so I'm going to go enjoy some of that instead!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
bluekeys #1625308 02/21/11 04:10 PM
T
T
bluekeys, thanks for starting this thread, and I very much enjoyed your No. 1.

I just started on No 1 and I find these quite difficult. In the edition I have the tempo is marked Allegro (1/4=96). That's a pretty good clip. Something that's helping me work up to that is setting the metronome at 4/8 so the beats are every 1/8 note. When I get the section I'm working up to the tempo I'm trying to achieve, then I set the metronome back to 4/4 and make sure I'm on the beat at 1. Then I try and listen to what I'm playing on 2, 3 and 4. I find it very challenging. To me this is a very good rhythmic study (a point not mentioned in the pianostreet article, afaik).

I see where No 8 is listed in the easy section. But my edition has a tempo marking of Vivace (1/4=126). That's a pretty steep mountain - not sure I can climb that high.

keyboardklutz said
What Landorrano is saying is that you need some more subtle shading (I had to listen to my version to remember http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7B73aWaV3k ). Bach often starts a motif not on the beat. If you do a slight emphasis on the second 16th of each group of 4 it'll be more musical. On the harpsichord (though indubitably this was written for clavichord) you'd separate a little.
. Good point k. In my edition the phrases are marked out that way.

tf

time flies #1625332 02/21/11 04:38 PM
L
L
I've lately been trying learning pieces out of the yamaha '50 Greats For the piano' book that comes with some yamaha digital pianos...and of course the music is also on the pianos themselves (even the p155 although they don't give you the book with that model i had to snag one off of ebay) Anyway the first 2 pieces are Bach's inventions #1 and #8. It's a great help for me anyway to be able to play the parts seperately which the piano lets you do. On the cd that accompanies the alfred edition of the inventions (Valery Lloyd Watts pianist) they don't have the 2 hands seperated so you can't just pop off the headphone on one side to isolate that hand. Anyone know of a cd edition of the inventions that seperated the 2 hands?

bluekeys #1625427 02/21/11 06:23 PM
T
T
Can anyone recommend an ornametation reference, especially covering short trills. Something along the lines of trills for dummies might work for me.

time flies #1625491 02/21/11 07:47 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by time flies
Can anyone recommend an ornametation reference, especially covering short trills. Something along the lines of trills for dummies might work for me.

The Bach Notation Site has some good info. Not exactly "for dummies" but it's pretty straight-forward.

Another thing you might try.... I recently bought this Intro to Chopin Book edited by Willard Palmer. The first few pages were dedicated to reading Chopin notation with a heavy emphasis on how to do the trills. Palmer also has a very similar book on Bach Inventions. I don't know for sure (maybe someone can confirm?) but it seems likely he would have included similar info on Bach trills.

[Edit: deleted some incorrect info about Piano Street editions.]

Last edited by bluekeys; 02/21/11 08:34 PM.
limavady #1625527 02/21/11 08:32 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by limavady
I've lately been trying learning pieces out of the yamaha '50 Greats For the piano' book that comes with some yamaha digital pianos...and of course the music is also on the pianos themselves (even the p155 although they don't give you the book with that model i had to snag one off of ebay) Anyway the first 2 pieces are Bach's inventions #1 and #8. It's a great help for me anyway to be able to play the parts seperately which the piano lets you do. On the cd that accompanies the alfred edition of the inventions (Valery Lloyd Watts pianist) they don't have the 2 hands seperated so you can't just pop off the headphone on one side to isolate that hand. Anyone know of a cd edition of the inventions that seperated the 2 hands?

You could try sheetmusic2print.com. They have midis of the Inventions but I don't know if the hands are separated. You could download one and try. It looks like you can get them free if you sign up, or pay $2 if you're not a member.

bluekeys #1625542 02/21/11 08:50 PM
L
L
Thanks for the link. I've been thinking since i wrote that post just a couple of hours ago, and also partly based on another 'inventions' thread late last year and a closing comment made there, that it might be better to, not necessarily try and play both hands together from the start, but to listen to both parts at any rate. The idea that these are 2 voices and not just a bass line under the melody makes me think that may be a better route to go. It's nice to have the ability to isolate the right and left hands as i can do on the P155 and i'll take them up on it there at least at times but maybe for developing a sense of the entire piece I should not become too 'lazy' and try to do this too much! Thanks again though for that link, as well as this topic, I will check it out!

bluekeys #1625544 02/21/11 08:53 PM
T
T
The Bach Notation Site has some good info.

Bluekeys, I think that will work fine. Thanks!

bluekeys #1625629 02/21/11 10:55 PM
P
P
Can anyone explain to me the actual benefit of singing the left hand's line while playing the right? I understand it's application in ear training for counterpoint, but does it actually help you play both hands together better?

bluekeys #1625809 02/22/11 08:57 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
paquijote - I've never tried that on the Inventions, though I have on some simpler Bach. It's a good mental exercise to make sure you're aware of what both hands are doing independently rather than putting one hand on autopilot and thinking only of the one that produces the dominant melody. Unfortunately, it's very hard to do when you have two independent melodies going. The staccato practice discussed above has many of the same benefits and is easier to do. May be a good transitional practice method.

As for making it easier to play both hand together -- maybe a little, but I still rely mainly on brute force repetition to accomplish that.

bluekeys #1628518 02/26/11 01:09 PM
M
M
Hi! New to this forum! I have just started learning Bach's Invention 13 yesterday and I all ready have the right hand up to speed(This piece is for my Grade 6 Piano Exam so that's my standard!) The trouble is in the left and, I just cant get the left hand to move fast...
Any tips on playing this fast and perfecting it??

Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.1 in B flat Major
Chopin Waltz Op.18 in E flat Major
Beethoven Sonata No.27 in E Minor Op.90 1st Mov.
http://www.youtube.com/MusicClassical1
http://www.youtube.com/ClassicalMusicPiano
VIEW MY PIANO BLOG!
http://classicalmusicpiano.wordpress.com
bluekeys #1628663 02/26/11 04:18 PM
Following this thread with great interest as I recently began learning the Inventions beginning with #13. I have since moved on to #14 but #13 could still do with some more work. So I continue to work on #13 even though I am working on #14 with my teacher. My main issue is speed. I'm not quite there yet but I'm slowly getting there. I've found hands separate practice especially for #13 quite helpful. I've also found being aware of the chords that I'm playing very helpful as it aids in memorization. I think if I were to memorize these pieces I could play them at the correct tempo. We'll see!

bluekeys #1628669 02/26/11 04:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I tried working on invention 13 in a minor. wow what a beautiful piece. I think its way above my level though. Im trying to walk before i can crawl again. story of my life.=/

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
bluekeys #1628783 02/26/11 07:48 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, it is absolutely beautiful, I agree with you Joe. It is rated as a level 7 in Magrath's book (her levels are higher than other rating systems, largely because she assumes "student" status). Just so you know, all of her ratings of the two-part inventions are 7-9. I know you are REALLY fond of Bach....have you tried Prelude in C major yet? Absolutely beautiful piece. Magrath rates it a level 4.

Christine

[Linked Image]
GlassLove #1628787 02/26/11 07:56 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GlassLove
Yes, it is absolutely beautiful, I agree with you Joe. It is rated as a level 7 in Magrath's book (her levels are higher than other rating systems, largely because she assumes "student" status). Just so you know, all of her ratings of the two-part inventions are 7-9. I know you are REALLY fond of Bach....have you tried Prelude in C major yet? Absolutely beautiful piece. Magrath rates it a level 4.

I did the first couple bars but never followed through with it and your right it is a beautiful piece. Right now I'm still in the first lessons in bach still and really struggling. I really needa teacher or need to get back into the alfreds more because I'm not sure if I'm quite ready for that kind of repertoire, but i just been goin at it you know to my best ability. Some of isn't actually that hard though. I think my sight reading just needs alot more work and a better overall foundation. =/

Last edited by joeb84; 02/26/11 07:59 PM.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
bluekeys #1628788 02/26/11 07:59 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm curious what tempo you guys/gals are targeting for #13. My recital version (No. 52) was at about 84, and the latest one on my tube channel is just a hair slower. I'm shooting for 100.

I'm not qualified to give advice to someone taking the grade 6 exam, but I can tell you one thing that definitely did NOT work for me. I have fairly large hands and tried to do the arpeggio motions in measures 3,4, 9, and 10 with my hand spanning a whole octave in order to minimize the number of hand position moves -- so for instance in measure 3 the D to D downward move in the left hand that goes D,A,F,A,D was done with 1,2,3,2,5 instead of repositioning my thumb for the second A. That worked well at slow speeds but was clumsy and caused speed walls in the high 80's.

I've been re-working it for a week or so now and have it going much smoother. I think I'm back up to 80 or so. I've been lazy about doing recordings lately, but I hope to post one that breaks 90 pretty soon.

This has been one of the hardest ones for me, but it's still one of my favorites.

Keep us posted on your progress!

bluekeys #1629128 02/27/11 10:41 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
I was practicing on the digital this morning and decided to record a new version of #2.

Invention #2 Digital

It's a little rigid in some places but gets better toward the end. I've been playing this one for 8 or 9 months now and only recently feel as though I have it well memorized. It's been the hardest to memorize of the 6 I've tried. The staccato practice on it last week helped quite a bit.

Any comments appreciated and/or tolerated.

bluekeys #1629330 02/27/11 02:48 PM
C
C
I worked on No. 1 last fall and played it in a November recital and I'm now working on No. 6, which is quite different in terms of structure and themes typical to Inventions.

I like it a lot, it's quite a bit more challenging than No. 1, but I don't know what the difficulty levels are.

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
bluekeys #1629403 02/27/11 04:43 PM
T
T
Nice job bluekeys. I especially like your ornamentation - trilling on the auxiliary notes (thanks again for the link).

I'm only on #1 and haven't even read through #2 but I can see how it would be difficult to memorize.

cscl #1629406 02/27/11 04:47 PM
T
T
Cscl, what a jazzy invention - lots of syncopation. You played this at the same tempo as GG thumb
You went for the detached/staccato approach and you were very consistent throughout - nice job. And nice steady tempo.

Have you recorded #1?

Last edited by time flies; 02/27/11 04:52 PM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Max Richter: Tiny Desk (Home)
by SeaDrive - 01/23/21 08:24 PM
Advice on buying my first piano
by moodorf - 01/23/21 07:59 PM
Yamaha Model Differences
by RPHPlayer - 01/23/21 07:24 PM
Cannot decide on a beginner keyboard
by sunnyrose98 - 01/23/21 07:10 PM
Bach Busoni Goldberg Variations
by Keith D Kerman - 01/23/21 04:15 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,492
Posts3,050,651
Members100,189
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission