2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by keystring
So how do teachers feel about it: Do you need recognition from students about a job well done? Or is the fact that a student consistently tries what you say and progresses through it enough of statement?

Every once in awhile, a student gives me a hug at the end of lesson, or a parent tells me their student was so excited to come to lesson, or just loves me. One student was allowed to take two friends to the movie for her birthday, and she asked me if I wanted to be one of them. I'm not real touchy-feely, but those things make my day!

I also have students who bounce into lessons excited over what they learned, or a piece they memorized, or a skill they mastered. Although it's not a direct compliment to me, it does make me feel like I've been praised. A student (8 or 9) just left, and as she walked out the door, she said "thank-you." That also feels good.

But I don't know that I need students to comment on my teaching, because I don't think they have the expertise to speak to it. That's a huge difference in the flow of compliments. However, when another teacher compliments me on my students - well, that's a great feeling.

piano teacher
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
We mustn't discount the pedagogical purpose of praise. I think the OP is expressing concern for the indifferent response to the efforts he/she puts in. That can make it confusing for a student because it may be unclear what they are doing well or not so well. "Praise" is actually too simplistic. What students need is clear indications of exactly what it is they are doing well. When it is specific, it is very informative. I never say, "that was very nice", sort of statements. I always say what was nice about it, and what (if anything) could be worked on. That way the constructive feedback and praise are all bundled up together. If you keep that sort of approach, you never forget to recognise the efforts the student is making, it's also self-limiting because the commentary is always about something specific so it can't become pointless "gushing". Teachers can sometimes become less communicative over time and assume that everything they think is clear to the student. Sometimes it isn't...

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by keystring
I want to go back on some of what I said. Praise or recognition are also important, because it is hard work, sometimes with no visible progress to the student's perception. When you have put 7 - 14 hours into what you present to the teacher the following week, then it's human to want some kind of response once in a while. I think what I was actually addressing were the perceptions that I mentioned which are often there, and that can get in the way. But that doesn't mean that this is where the OP is at.

Yes, and the response functions both as a pleasant emotion and a confirmation that you are applying your efforts in the right places. Positive reinforcement is a cornerstone of learning. It's also very important for people who can't see the bigger picture of where the teacher is heading.

So how do teachers feel about it: Do you need recognition from students about a job well done? Or is the fact that a student consistently tries what you say and progresses through it enough of statement?

I do go primarily off the results I see in the student. I'm not particularly needy of praise from students but I do notice and enjoy it when a student says, "Thank-you, that was a really helpful lesson". I do find it motivating to try and reach for that standard next time.

I think this speaks to the nature of any interpersonal relationship. Recognition of the other is important. Failure to do so can result in a breakdown of relations because it leads to feeling unimportant/irrelevant/taken-for-granted.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ando
"Praise" is actually too simplistic. What students need is clear indications of exactly what it is they are doing well. When it is specific, it is very informative. I never say, "that was very nice", sort of statements. I always say what was nice about it, and what (if anything) could be worked on...Teachers can sometimes become less communicative over time and assume that everything they think is clear to the student. Sometimes it isn't...
Excellent points, ando.

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, thanks to everyone who has contributed to the conversation. You have given me a lot to think about, and while I generally agree with what ando had to say I am not sure if finding another instructor is necessarily the best solution. Any suggestions for how I should approach my next lesson?

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by polyphasicpianist
Wow, thanks to everyone who has contributed to the conversation. You have given me a lot to think about, and while I generally agree with what ando had to say I am not sure if finding another instructor is necessarily the best solution. Any suggestions for how I should approach my next lesson?

Maybe you could request more feedback in general - rather than specifying that it be more encouraging. If you simply said that you would like more comments on what is working and what isn't, you may actually find you get what you need in terms of encouragement.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Maybe you could request more feedback in general - rather than specifying that it be more encouraging. If you simply said that you would like more comments on what is working and what isn't, you may actually find you get what you need in terms of encouragement.

I was actually thinking the same thing, but instead of asking her to generally provide more feedback I was thinking I might try and ask her explicitly during the course of the lesson.

e.g. What did you think of that? How was that? In your honest opinion... etc.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by polyphasicpianist
....Any suggestions for how I should approach my next lesson?

Maybe you could request more feedback in general - rather than specifying that it be more encouraging....

I would recommend putting more emphasis specifically on getting feedback about what polyphasic is doing well. The gap being expressed is about lack of feedback about positive stuff, and I don't see any reason not to put the emphasis on exactly that.

Much of polyphasic's emphasis in this thread has been on "how hard I worked" -- and I think that's too narrow to focus on. But IMO nothing wrong with putting it in terms of "I would really benefit from your telling me more about what I'm doing well."

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
My advice as a teacher is you should play the piano for yourself, or not at all. Not that I don't gush with praise.
I basically agree.

I'm just finding it hard to picture you "gushing with praise".
Our resident Crusty Cryptic Curmudgeon doesn't do that, surely? laugh laugh

The fact that kbk is actually a nice guy is one of the best-kept secrets on PW. smile

-J

i know he's nice. (kbk)

Polyphasic - wouldn't you be uncomfortable 'asking' for more positive encouragement? Some people are not effusive with praise.. that's ok. ..and if you need more encouragement you should find another teacher. I blanch sometimes when I realize how 'negative' my comments seem. There are so many problems to address and suggestions to make. I do however get very excited about a large amount of progress.

You seem really uncomfortable. One thing that you might consider is that lesson time is generally very short and there is not much time for chit chat and small talk. Maybe she assumes that you know that she is proud of you. I don't know. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
What is it they say? - naughty but nice?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
My husband says he married me because I was the first girl he'd ever met where he didn't have to guess what I was thinking. (Don't know if he regrets that now....)

Anyway, if I were in this situation, I would probably just speak up. Say, "I can't see your face when I'm playing, so I can never tell if you are in excruciating pain or what while I play and it's making me feel kinda insecure. Could we take a few minutes and talk about what kinds of progress and/or problems you are seeing?"

If the teacher then outlines a bunch of problems, then I'd say, "Am I doing anything right?"

The issue, I think, is to present it straightforward, but not too needy.

piano teacher
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That sounds like a great approach Lollipop.

polyphasicpianist, from reading your posts, I'm not quite sure what you are looking for. Is it appreciation from the teacher for having practiced so diligently? Praise for how well you are playing? Recognition that you are working hard? Feedback on what you are doing well or at least better? All of the above? It seems that all of these have been mentioned, but they really are quite different things. Maybe thinking about which of these is most important to you will help you figure out how to proceed.

BTW, the only one that I find really important is the last one, so that I know that all my work is moving me in the right direction.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't think praise is what you're looking for, but rather, confirmation that you are progressing with your studies. You shouldn't be looking for appreciation for your work. You work solely to improve yourself, not to impress your teacher.

The fact that you do not know how you are progressing suggests several issues.

Perhaps you should express your frustrations about the lack of feedback you're receiving. Perhaps it's semantics and your teacher doesn't express themselves well in that regard and both of you can work toward improving the feedback mechanism. Perhaps it'll come down to "When I say 'next' that really means you played it very well, so well that I and have no comments to help you improve." I'm guessing, of course, but you will never know unless you have this necessary conversation with your teacher.

More importantly, I also think you need to look from within. Ask 'yourself' if you are progressing. Surely you have 'some' expectation of what your hard work should achieve. Are your results (over the course of weeks, months or years) falling close to that expectation? If they are, that's all that matters. If they're are not, are your expectations too high, or is your progress to slow? Only you can answer these questions.

Hope all works out well for you, regardless.

Last edited by Akira; 02/24/11 03:07 PM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Lollipop
My husband says he married me because I was the first girl he'd ever met where he didn't have to guess what I was thinking.
haha laugh
Originally Posted by Lollipop
The issue, I think, is to present it straightforward, but not too needy.
That, I think, is a good summary. smile

Du holde Kunst...
To MaryBee and Akira: I don't think it's so mysterious. Sounds to me like it's mainly looking just generally for some positive reinforcement and personal recognition, which I think for most people has worth in and of itself, aside from any concrete aspects within it.

I'm for it. I benefit from it, and I give it when I can.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission