2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
chopin89,

Originally Posted by chopin89
I noticed that the black keys are hollow! Apparantly they use plastic hollow keys for the black key tops not solid wood. Doesn't feel right.

As others have stated, this is also true of most acoustic pianos.

Within Kawai's acoustic piano range, only the EX/SK-EX concert grands use real ebony for the top portion of the black keys. I'm afraid I'm less familiar with other manufacturer's instruments, however I expect it's largely the same story - real ebony is only found on the most prestigious concert grand piano.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by JFP
J (not employed by Kawai, so putting something in defense here doesn't raise my bonus ;-)

Please note that my contributions to the PianoWorld forum have absolutely no affect on my salary.

Kind regards,
James
x

C
C
Sorry, yes acoutics do use plastic for the top portion of the black keys, but I'm pretty sure they are solid molded pieces of plastic right? When I played pizzicato on the MP10, I noticed they felt different from the whites, they didn't feel solid somehow. Well, upon close inspection of the MP10 and a display showing the actual action (RM3), I came to the conclusion that top portion of the black key tops were hollow inside. Funny, I took my dad with me that day to try out the MP10 and he was amazed, ok kind of laughing about how I could tell just by sound and feeling. But maybe I'm wrong, can someone in the parts dept can confirm?

Sorry, yes acoutics do use plastic for the top portion of the black keys, but I'm pretty sure they are solid molded pieces of plastic right?

No, they're hollow too.

Kind regards,
James
x

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
No, they're hollow too.

Thanks for your confirmation, James. thumb

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
C
curt88 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by TADutchman
Moreover, I personally happen to even just so very slightly prefer the tactile response of the black keys to the white keys.

As do I. You gotta love playing in F#, or Ab, or Eb. They just "feel" right to me.

Curt

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
By the way Curt, any news on your MP10 issues (from Sweetwater or Kawai) ?!

@James : I was just joking (of course it raises my bonus ;-)

C
curt88 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
No word yet. The way I left it with them was that I was backing away until they got it all fixed. That could take a bit of time!

Curt

V
V
Just want to inform that Kawai Germany has solved the problem with my brand new MP10 making a strange mechanical noise on 5 adjacent keys. It seemed to be caused by an electrical wire that should have been fixed with some duct tape but had come loose. The keys were hitting this wire hence making the noise.
It was too sad that when I got the piano back there was no sound coming from the headphone jack! Lucky for me my vendor (Goossens in Mortsel, Belgium) knew how to open the instrument where it became clear that some internal connection had come loose. This seems to be a known issue as this cable (and another from making the connection with the display) are too short, Kawai will use longer cables in the new manufactured models.

vermicelli
R
R
Originally Posted by vermicelli
It seemed to be caused by an electrical wire that should have been fixed with some duct tape

confused Duct tape! Surely they could use a more robust fixing method??

Regards. Rimmer

C
C
Originally Posted by Rimmer
It seemed to be caused by an electrical wire that should have been fixed with some duct tape

Regards. Rimmer

if its good enough for macgyver, its good enough for pianoworld forums lol.

and dont call me surely lol airplane reference. RIP nielson

Last edited by craig1999871; 02/23/11 08:22 PM.

play that one again sam
V
V
This was exactly what I thought shocked

vermicelli
Hey m8, there is no comparison---they are not towards the same market by all means.

Amateur player with pure passion inside lol
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Rimmer

Regards. Rimmer

I thought they used duct tape on the ISS? Gotta be good smile

Y
ykf Offline
Y
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on pianoworld.

I just happened to order my MP10 from the local dealer in Toronto (Merriam Music) and finally picked up the instrument last Sunday, after giving it some second thoughts.

Although I was excited about bringing the MP10 home, I was a little concerned about the no-return policy of the dealer (which the salesguy only mentioned after having taken my deposit!). Then I thought to myself - what could go wrong with a reputable brand like Kawai.

On Monday, I started hearing some static while playing. I initially thought it was the cables or even my keyboard speaker. Having double checked everything, I listened through my headphones and realized that it was indeed coming from the MP10 and predominantly from the right channel. I also heard some exagerated damper noise that appeared to be random (even though I had turned off damper noise effect). I reset the MP10 (turned it off and on again) and this fixed the problem. On Wednesday, I encountered the same issues and came to the conclusion that my MP10 is definitely defective.

I contacted Merriam Music today to report the issue and request for a replacement of the unit given that it's only been 3 days since I picked it up. I was told that they have to send a technician to assess the issue and only if it cannot be fixed that Kawai will replace it.

Today (Thursday), I tried the DP again after talking to the dealer and, to my horror, it became a lot worse with unbearable static taking over the piano sound. I managed to record some audio samples directly on the MP10 to send the dealer and Kawai.

I don't know if I can post an mp3 version of the recorded sample on this forum. If someone could help that would be great.

I'm deeply concerned about keeping this unit now (even if they decide to fix it) as I believe I just got a lemon. I feel I cannot trust this unit anymore.

There are so many things I like about this DP (action, sound and layout being at the top of the list). But above all, you need an instrument you can trust in a gig, although I wasn't planning to gig with this monster.

Has anyone here come across similar defects with Kawai or other brands. If so, how did the dealer/manufacturer deal with the issue?

Kawai MP10 (previously Yamaha S90XS)
ykf, welcome to the forum.

Clearly there is an issue with your MP10, so you've made the correct choice to report the problem to the dealer. I would recommend waiting for the technician to examine the instrument - it could be a very simple fix, or even something that is corrected with a software update.

Kind regards,
James
x

V
V
Nope, the MP10 has plastic hollow keys tops for the black keys, but just the top part of course. You can confirm this by flicking it with your finger nail, you can clearly hear it and feel it. Although you'd think you wouldn't notice it while playing, believe it or not you do notice, or at least I noticed it while playing pizzicato. And it's the little things that they get wrong that make all the difference. $2500 payed for wood and we get plastic. Since when did the black keys become less important in music?

Break one of your black keys and show us, please smile

Y
ykf Offline
Y
Thanks for your feedback James.

I did check the firmware version and it is running the latest 1.04. Is this what you are referring to?

I understand there is a process in place for defective products. But, given my disappointment in this particular unit which is clearly a manufacturing defect, shouldn't Kawai replace it with another unit instead of trying to repair it? If the issue was to occur a few months down the road, I would understand Kawai trying to fix it before considering a replacement. But receiving a brand new defective unit leaves a very sour taste in the customer's mouth, especially given this is my very first Kawai product I've ever owned. I think as a matter of goodwill, Kawai should replace it outright.

Thanks,
ykf

Kawai MP10 (previously Yamaha S90XS)
O
O
Originally Posted by ykf
I just happened to order my MP10 from the local dealer in Toronto (Merriam Music) and finally picked up the instrument last Sunday, after giving it some second thoughts.

Although I was excited about bringing the MP10 home, I was a little concerned about the no-return policy of the dealer (which the salesguy only mentioned after having taken my deposit!). Then I thought to myself - what could go wrong with a reputable brand like Kawai.

Another bonus of Kawai's business/distribution model in the US/Canada region... having only one dealer within however many hundreds of miles puts the potential consumer at the mercy of whatever policies that particular store has with few ways around it.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Sounds a little suspect to me - the salesman waits until you're committed and then drops the "no returns" bombshell? They were probably very glad to offload that particular item.

Surely, if the item is defective, you can take it back to the store and get at least a store credit, if not a replacement or refund. What does Canadian consumer law have to say on this point?

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission