2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ddh
Originally Posted by Peyton
56- Daniel- What an interesting piece. Very dreamy. I enjoyed it immensely.

Thank You Peyton, glad you liked it.

Cheers

Daniel, how do you like your Pramberger? I have the PG 185 and love it.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Undone, thanks for responding! Re the full organ version, I forgot about the feet!!! I agree with you about the Alfred arrangement, it really does a good job of recreating the organ piece on the piano. I may try to play it myself someday, there's just something so compelling about this piece! Maybe it's because I fell in love with it so long ago, when piano was only a distant dream...

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ddh Offline
Originally Posted by ddh

Cheers

Overall, Peyton, I just love it; the middle section could be a tad smoother to my taste but the high and low sections are perfect for me. I actually bought it for two reasons: the depth and roundness of the bass and the fact that the soundboard was made here in Quebec by Bolduc Piano (OK, the price too wink ). When I first played it, in the store, it was next to a 7' Bosendorfer which I also played. I was so very impressed by the similarity in sound. Of course, the Bosendorfer's sound was a bit rounder but no way worth the 100k$ difference to me.

So, on top of the sound quality, it's a great value. Last weekend, for the second time now, we had the annual recital of my teacher's adult students here, in my piano room. I just love to hear someone else play it. It really sounds even better when you sit on the side, a bit away.

Hope you enjoy yours as much. They are good instruments.

Cheers

Last edited by ddh; 02/21/11 11:29 AM.

Daniel (Pramberger JP 208B)
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ddh
Originally Posted by ddh

Cheers

Overall, Peyton, I just love it; the middle section could be a tad smoother to my taste but the high and low sections are perfect for me. I actually bought it for two reasons: the depth and roundness of the bass and the fact that the soundboard was made here in Quebec by Bolduc Piano (OK, the price too wink ). When I first played it, in the store, it was next to a 7' Bosendorfer which I also played. I was so very impressed by the similarity in sound. Of course, the Bosendorfer's sound was a bit rounder but no way worth the 100k$ difference to me.

So, on top of the sound quality, it's a great value. Last weekend, for the second time now, we had the annual recital of my teacher's adult students here, in my piano room. I just love to hear someone else play it. It really sounds even better when you sit on the side, a bit away.

Hope you enjoy yours as much. They are good instruments.

Cheers

LA has a Young Chang/Pramberger grand piano JP-208 and his sounds very good in his recital piece as well.

ddh Offline
Originally Posted by Strings & Wood
LA has a Young Chang/Pramberger grand piano JP-208 and his sounds very good in his recital piece as well.

Yeah but LisztAddict could make a $39 DP sound great laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I thought LA had a Pramberger.

A few years ago I had new hammers put into mine. It had been a touch too bright for me and the new hammers softened up the sound quite a bit.

Overall I love it but there are the occasional problems. Right now I'm getting a high harmonic somewhere and sometimes when the top is down I'll get a vibration.

Last edited by Peyton; 02/21/11 12:02 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ddh

+1 smile

ddh Offline
I thought LA had a Pramberger.

A few years ago I had new hammers put into mine. It had been a touch too bright for me and the new hammers softened up the sound quite a bit.

Overall I love it but there are the occasional problems. Right now I'm getting a high harmonic somewhere and sometimes when the top is down I'll get a vibration.

When you changed the hammers, did the technician re-voice the piano and soften the hammers or leave them as they where ?

Last year, I had a vibration on the center C. My tech found the trouble in the locking mechanism of the cover, tightened it and no more vibration, thank god.

Last edited by ddh; 02/21/11 12:07 PM.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
34. Mohan Karthik - So far away (to do)

Very nice composition. Inspirational influences were there to hear. I enjoyed listening.

35. ladypayne - Nearer My God to Thee

This took me back to my boyhood and the old church by the highway. Quite often walking up on a Sunday morning sounds such as this could be heard drifting out into the morning air. That was very nice ladypayne.

36. MaryBee - Sheep May Safely Graze

It is a very pleasant sounding piece MaryBee. I thought you did a really good job with this piano version and your piano sang it quite well. I enjoyed listening very much.I did listen to the link (which I agree is beautiful).

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ddh

laugh Without a doubt!

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here's my next batch of comments:

21. Riddler (Ed) - Dolphin Dance Nicely developed accompaniment. Unusual syncopation, interestingly discordant chords -- I'm not sure that this rendition would would be atonal; I'd put it more in the "progressive jazz" category. Nicely done!

22. MartinJB / martin - Reflections Em This is a great first entry in the recitals! Well done; nice touch, good phrasing and the pedal use seems just right.

23. hoffy - Minuet In G Major (BWV Anh. 114 - come on, you all know it!) Nice ornamentation! Very jaunty and enthusiasm. Good job.

24. LaValse - Prelude Op 11 No 4 Well, I'm still not a Scriabin fan. That notwithstanding, you played this very well. Excellent dynamics and pace, there's never a sense of rushing or holding back. I really appreciate the control needed in the final decrescendo.

25. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are AS soon as this started I felt I was sitting in a jazz bar. Great touch and feel for the piece. This is how I envision jazz, bouncy, nice improvisation around a clear melody. I enjoyed listening to this very much.

26. wj3 / Walt - Take me home country roads Very cleanly played. The only suggestion I would make is to watch the balance between left and right hand. Either make the left hand softer or the right hand harder -- playing them at the same level muddies the piece a little bit.

27. BillM (formerly b528nf7) - Mr. President (have pity on the working man) Oh, yeah! I liked the piano playing, especially since you picked it out by ear. The jazz riffs are great!

28. Strings & Wood - Op. 68, No. 16 (Erster Verlust) Hmmm...I must have missed the muttering wink Good job on this. I know it's harder than it sounds, but you played this very well.

29. serge88 - Your Song Wow, it certainly is better than the last effort. This was really good. I liked how it all fit together so nicely.

30. paquijote - Invention No. 7 in E minor - J.S. Bach I applaud you tor taking on the Inventions. This requires focus to keep the hands playing different melodies. Very good job.

More to follow...

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ddh

When you changed the hammers, did the technician re-voice the piano and soften the hammers or leave them as they where ?

Actually the hammers were so soft we had to voice some of them a bit the other way.

Boy, can't believe what a talented and diverse bunch we have here.
Some more ....

11. Monica K. - The Meadow
Alexandre Desplat is a name I’ve heard mentioned a couple of times but as yet had not heard so this was a great intro to his music. Some of those chord changes are sublime and the last minute or so with the high notes were achingly beautiful. Thanks, Monica, I think I’ve found a new artist to add to the ever growing list of composers in my jukebox smile

12. John Frank - Two Waltz Medley : Waltz in B Minor & Waltz in D Major
Both pieces were a joy to listen to and always the detailed introduction to the pieces helps us non-classical types better appreciate what we are listening to.

13. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Gypsy Legend
Good solid performance there, Cheryl, that eastern european quality to it is very striking. The Yamaha sounds terrific too, I’ve got my eye on the P, U or B series for the next upgrade (although I would settle for just the pub laugh )

14. CMohr - I Should Care
Such a soothing performance, I listened to this one more than a couple of times. I think you achieved what you hoped to in your description.

15. Todd Vance - Waltz, in C# Minor Op. 64 #2
A triumph! From only listening I would have guessed you were one of our long term players as you sound so natural with the phrasing and timing. Congrats on a fine submission. smile

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
37. FarmGirl - A Christmas Overture

That was quite a production. Did I hear you whisper a "Hail Mary" just as you sat down to play? smile I enjoyed it and please do not say "goodbye" forever to this accomplishment. I would love to hear it again in December when we hold our informal Christmas recital.

38. Andy Platt - Mozart Sonata in C (K545) Movement 2 - Andante

Having not the score to follow or the familiarity of the piece to rely on, I was at a loss to find your "flubs". The minor hiccups, did not at all, overshadow the beauty of the piece. Well done Andy.

39. Sideshow/Edwin - Prelude - BWV935

I am not a student of Bach and I am not familiar with this piece but enjoyed listening just the same- accents and all.

40. GlassLove (Christine) - Song of India (arranged)

This sounded vaguely familiar, although I am pretty sure I have not seen the opera. It is a pretty melody and you did a good job with it Christine.

41. jotur/Cathy Turner - Amazing Grace

Very Nice Cathy. I like the harmonizing chord progressions with this arrangement. It has that ole timey gospel feel to it. This will be a keeper for your various playing spots.

42. PhilzPiano - Prelude in E minor Op. 28 No. 4

I know all too well of the pitfalls that this wonderful Chopin piece has to offer. Sometimes I can pull it off and sometimes it is a train wreck. I continue to try and improve this melancholy piece. The fact Chopin liked it makes me want to explore it further. You do a good job of softening the downbeat note. I like the pace. Perhaps a bit more drama @ the climax.

A
A

Originally Posted by WiseBuff

#31 Augustina. bright and energetic. Metronome work will help even out that tempo.

My metronome on my keyboard doesn't work very well. Before I would listen to the music I was playing before I would actually play it and try and follow the tempo from whatever song I listened to. I just looked up a metronome on Google and found one online:). I'll have to give it a try.

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
ddh Offline
Next up:

05. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Opus 19 #1 Sam, I’ve got to say when I look at your avatar, I see you more like a Grateful Dead/ZZ Top type. But, when I listen to your music, I really feel the heart of a classical musician. One of the more heartfelt pieces of this recital. Bravo and thanks.

Stay tuned for more...

Last edited by ddh; 02/21/11 03:03 PM.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
31. Augustina - Nice job! You play well and chose a cool song, but I agree with the poster who said the page turning is getting in the way. Did you know there is a foot pedal that can automatically turn pages working in conjunction with a digital sheet music music program for a little less than $200? -$35 for the basic music reader program and around a $160 for the foot pedal and page turner. I think you’d enjoy yourself much more and so would your listeners if the music flowed without the turning distractions.

32. Undone - Very Impressive! The mistakes were barely noticeable, at least to this adult beginner. You must be a real perfectionist to have even considered not submitting it. Very enjoyable to listen to and inspiring to see so much progress from only three years.

33. LisztAddict - That’s a lovely piece. It sounds like rain, both literal and spiritual. Thanks for sharing. I thought you played it beautifully.

34. Mohan – That’s a beautiful piece and you played it with so much feeling. I see you’ve been at it for less than a year. I’m often struck by how people who write or arrange their own music can progress so quickly with their playing skills. You seem to be a good example of someone like that. I think you have a lot of talent.

35. Ladypayne - That was great LP! You played it with a lot of emotion and I really responded viscerally. Songs like this are great for working on by ear – simple structurally but powerful and with great rhythms and melodies. I don’t know if you did any of modification of the sheet arrangement you used, but I liked what you did whoever arranged it.

36. MaryBee – You’re right this is an absolutely beautiful piece. I like it for Christmastime. I’m not sure I would chose this transcription, however, because of the lack of variety in the left hand. It would be nice to see some of those relentless hymnal-style chords broken up into short arpeggios . Your right hand is very agile with those melodies, though, and I enjoyed listening to you play.

37. FarmGirl – I loved this piece . So much so, I think it would be worth memorizing and/or learning to play by ear. Do you know where I can get the sheet music online? I am very impressed by your playing. I also want to thank you for your generous comment about my arrangement. But I beg to differ about your inability to put together a comparable arrangement. With your playing skills and experience, I think you would just have to take a year or so to learn to use your brain a little differently when you play. If you’re interested , you might check out Learn Piano with Rosa . She was a church pianist for over twenty years so she might suit your target style, and she has tons of videos using different approaches to convey basic ear-playing skills. http://www.learnpianowithrosa.com/

38. Andy Platt - That was delightful, Andy. You must have a good teacher to be able to play an andante Mozart piece like this so well after only 9 months of study. And I’ve heard the piece before but still didn’t notice the flubs. Thank you also for your kind remarks about my piece and for listening twice.

39. Sideshow/Edwin - Wow! This recital is really turning into a Bach Fest! You’re very good and I enjoyed hearing you play such an intricate piece.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 02/21/11 03:03 PM.
A
A
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
31. Augustina - Nice job! You play well and chose a cool song, but I agree with the poster who said the page turning is getting in the way. Did you know there is a foot pedal that can automatically turn pages working in conjunction with a digital sheet music music program for a little less than $200? -$35 for the basic music reader program and around a $160 for the foot pedal and page turner. I think you’d enjoy yourself much more and so would your listeners if the music flowed without the turning distractions.

Glad you enjoyed my song!Thanks for the tip The foot pedal thing sounds sweet! unfortunately I just can't afford programs like that at the moment. So I'll go with the good ol fashioned Card Board Box suggestion, or tape it to the wall.... I think it was Tx-Dennis that mentioned it to me:) I'll be looking around at those music reader programs though, they sound interesting:)

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
L
L
Hi starr keys! Thanks for the compliment. I actually didnt use any sheet music or a lead sheet. I arranged everything on my own smile

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
38. Andy Platt - That was delightful, Andy. You must have a good teacher to be able to play an andante Mozart piece like this so well after only 9 months of study.

I do have a great teacher ... but nine months of study understates it because I have played around for years and years. I just never tried to "improve" before ... but it's not nine months from scratch!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission