2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
lol I don't think so at all. Argerich can CERTAINLY play octaves with great control, speed, and accuracy.

Sergio Tiempo is not on the same level as Argerich. And he gots NOTHING on da Ho. Behold his suckage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6eVaTBdP7M

da HO people. come on. Have some respect. Who else could pull his Waldstein coda octave 'glissando'? Have any of you ever tried to do that at the piano? It's impossible!

Not for da HO.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i vote for OSK, with Argerich a close second.

Horowitz is awesome at many things. I don't know that octaves are his forte.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I didn't say I prefered Tiempo to Argerich or Horowitz full stop, I said I prefered his tchaikovsky octaves.

I've seen a number of students accomplish the octave glissandi in the Waldstein perfectly well, its difficult but not impossible.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
'Tis fun to stir up the pot occasionally if only to make sure folks here are alive and kicking. laugh

Few people are as much in awe of Horowitz as I am, but sometimes I can't resist being a bit wicked. (And yes, I have heard Sergio Tiempo... no slouch, that one!)

Jason
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by debrucey
I didn't say I prefered Tiempo to Argerich or Horowitz full stop, I said I prefered his tchaikovsky octaves.

I've seen a number of students accomplish the octave glissandi in the Waldstein perfectly well, its difficult but not impossible.

Dude, have you even HEARD the Horowitz Walstein recording?

Cause what you have written suggests you are not familiar with the recording.

Yes, the octave glissando is not too difficult to execute on a piano in good condition.

Go listen to the recording, and hopefully you will understand what I mean. He doesn't PLAY the glisando. He plays OCTAVES.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Of course I've heard the recording. I probably listen to it about once a week.

Last edited by debrucey; 02/20/11 09:55 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
And you are telling me you have seen a number of students play the octave glissandi the way Horowitz does?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Please, anyone doubting that octaves were 'his forte', do yourself a favour and listen at around 6:05 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DvTvWoBxKw&feature=related

hello..

i was kind of kidding there.. at least tongue in cheek so to speak, justanotherpianist. All of his playing is his forte. (i love the photos of H and R in this film you linked.. so young and fresh.)

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
lol I know what you mean, apple. Still, in all my days I have not come across a Rach 3 with the same fury in that passage.

....and those are just his left hand octaves...

I've never heard any part of his Rach 3! It is awesome!... the best I've heard ever.

Originally Posted by Andromaque
.....In my opinion however, Argerich's breadth of repertoire, particularly in chamber music, offers substantial support for superlative musicianship.....

That's maybe as good an example as could be imagined for what I said about "musicianship" being subjective to an extent that people could not even agree on what's involved in it. IMO what you said has nothing whatsoever to do with their musicianship.

"Musicianship" to me is an inner quality, actually a set of inner qualities, that are manifested in one's playing. Unless one plays extremely little stuff or not enough of a range to show those qualities, the amount and types of repertoire that he/she plays have no bearing.

And as long as we're on the subject of collaborative repertoire, one of the most impressive things I ever came across about Horowitz's "musicianship" was his performance of the Dichterliebe with Fischer-Dieskau in the mid-'70's at a big celebration where numerous greats performed. It floored me, not because I would have doubted that he had the "musicianship" to do the music and the collaboration so well, while fully still being 'Horowitz,' but because (I assumed) he was so "out of practice" on 'accompanying' for lieder (like maybe 50 years worth), plus that his "personality" might have gotten in the way of it. And it didn't; it enhanced it.

Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
Horowitz was not at his best in 1983. In fact, I think that was probably the rock bottom for him. He was heavily medicated and was prone to memory lapses.

I think the people who've uploaded Horowitz's 1983 performances to YouTube should be rounded up and shot. To anthologize and present a pianist's worst performances for all the world to see shows a lack of respect and decency, and does nothing to promote the arts or the artist.

Sometimes I worry about the state of our culture. We seem to think we deserve to have access to everyone's worst moments, and we turn everything into a reality show. (Like this thread, for example. It started out as a discussion of Horowitz's octave technique, and it quickly became one of those phony television contests: Who's octaves are best? Who gets voted off OctaveSurvivor this week? Only Argerich and Horowitz remain, who will win?" In the real world of people who haven't lost their brain cells to television, there is no such contest. We get to enjoy both pianists.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
...one of the most impressive things I ever came across about Horowitz's "musicianship" was his performance of the Dichterliebe with Fischer-Dieskau in the mid-'70's at a big celebration where numerous greats performed. It floored me, not because I would have doubted that he had the "musicianship" to do the music and the collaboration so well, while fully still being 'Horowitz,' but because (I assumed) he was so "out of practice" on 'accompanying' for lieder (like maybe 50 years worth), plus that his "personality" might have gotten in the way of it. And it didn't; it enhanced it.

Did you have the great good fortune to actually be there, or is this available on recording somewhere?

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Horowitz was not at his best in 1983. In fact, I think that was probably the rock bottom for him. He was heavily medicated and was prone to memory lapses.

I think the people who've uploaded Horowitz's 1983 performances to YouTube should be rounded up and shot. To anthologize and present a pianist's worst performances for all the world to see shows a lack of respect and decency, and does nothing to promote the arts or the artist.

I think it's of tremendous interest. There are many good things in the octave etude (including a fine middle section and a few bars at the end where he really pulls it all together and gives a glimpse of what he would have been like in his prime). The C sharp minor Etude is absolutely superb and there are many good things in Carnaval, despite memory lapses. I was actually very surprised how fine the playing is, after hearing all the stories. If momentary errors mean disaster, then it's a disaster. Personally, I'd far sooner look past them (no matter how many) and hear how much wonderful stuff is also on offer.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Sometimes I worry about the state of our culture. We seem to think we deserve to have access to everyone's worst moments, and we turn everything into a reality show. (Like this thread, for example. It started out as a discussion of Horowitz's octave technique, and it quickly became one of those phony television contests: Who's octaves are best? Who gets voted off OctaveSurvivor this week? Only Argerich and Horowitz remain, who will win?" In the real world of people who haven't lost their brain cells to television, there is no such contest. We get to enjoy both pianists.

Calm down.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Andromaque
.....In my opinion however, Argerich's breadth of repertoire, particularly in chamber music, offers substantial support for superlative musicianship.....

That's maybe as good an example as could be imagined for what I said about "musicianship" being subjective to an extent that people could not even agree on what's involved in it. IMO what you said has nothing whatsoever to do with their musicianship.

"Musicianship" to me is an inner quality, actually a set of inner qualities, that are manifested in one's playing. Unless one plays extremely little stuff or not enough of a range to show those qualities, the amount and types of repertoire that he/she plays have no bearing.

And as long as we're on the subject of collaborative repertoire, one of the most impressive things I ever came across about Horowitz's "musicianship" was his performance of the Dichterliebe with Fischer-Dieskau in the mid-'70's at a big celebration where numerous greats performed. It floored me, not because I would have doubted that he had the "musicianship" to do the music and the collaboration so well, while fully still being 'Horowitz,' but because (I assumed) he was so "out of practice" on 'accompanying' for lieder (like maybe 50 years worth), plus that his "personality" might have gotten in the way of it. And it didn't; it enhanced it.

Yeah.. I see what you are saying (long-windedly.. smile ). But I am not so wildly far off.. Breadth of repertoire allows opportunities to experience versatility, more complex voicing, understnandng the role of entries by other instruments, harmonizing with them, varying your technique to fit a different style and purpose of the music etc.. It is not breadth in the quantitative sense, ie playing more pieces..
Bt yes sure, the definition of musicianship can be subjective.. Just not as subjective as you present it to be..

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by debrucey

Calm down.

Why? He's right.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Nope. He's WRONG.

Horowitz remains on OCTAVESURVIVOR!

Everyone else has been voted off.

It's not about the music.... it's about the OCTAVES!

OCTAVESURVIVOR.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
He may be right, but he's still taking what is supposed to be a lighthearted discussion rather too seriously. Mind you, many people on here are too prone to bouts of sensationalism. Like, chill out dudes.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission