2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
RolKra Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi

I’m on my way to buy a new digital piano for me and the family.
I have tested some pianos in music stores here in Sweden Stockholm like: Yamaha CLP320, CLP 330, YDVP240 and Roland FP-7BK.

I was on my way to buy Yamaha YDPV240 when a saw an article:
http://azpianonews.blogspot.com/2010/01/yamaha-introduces-new-arius-dgx-digital.html were they criticized Yamahas choice of piano keys.

They put in their least expensive GHS standard piano key action (which is also in the DGX640 as I mentioned), instead of their better GH key action. The GHS key action is lighter, noisy, and less smooth than the upgraded GH action found on other new YDP's, and yet the V240 is the most expensive model in the Arius line

As a consequence they recommend as a better alternative the Casio AP620.

I'm trying to find a store here were I can test this Casio but it seams that I must wait one more week...

Can anyone that have tested hopefully both the Yamaha YDPV 240 and Casio AP620 (or just the Casio) comment on this?

1) Pros and cons comparing Yamaha YDPV240 and Casio AP620
2) Is there other god alternative in the same price range

Important for me is very god grand piano sound, god key action and a nice look is appreciated.

Other Links:

Product info Casio AP 6:
http://www.celvianopianos.com/products/AP-6 ;
http://www.casio-intl.com/emi/30th/products/ap_6bp.html

Happy customer:
http://forum.ukpianos.co.uk/showthread.php?t=136

RolKra
Stockholm
Sweden
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RolKra
2) Is there other god alternative in the same price range

Kawai CN33?
Roland HP302?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by RolKra
Hi

I’m on my way to buy a new digital piano for me and the family.
I have tested some pianos in music stores here in Sweden Stockholm like: Yamaha CLP320, CLP 330, YDVP240 and Roland FP-7BK.

I was on my way to buy Yamaha YDPV240 when a saw an article:
http://azpianonews.blogspot.com/2010/01/yamaha-introduces-new-arius-dgx-digital.html were they criticized Yamahas choice of piano keys.

I would say the same thing. If you can afford a Yamaha CLP or Roland FP7F why would yuo want a piano with GHS keys? In the Yamaha line look for either GH or GH3. In Roland's line look for the ones that are not "Alpha". And at this price level Kawai is posable

I'd say differently if you were limited to pianos under $1,000,then you have to compromise but at your level you can have some near top of the line key actions

R
RolKra Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi! Thank you so far...

What if I compare

Roland HP 305
Casio AP6
Yamaha CLP 340

As we have kids also I would like to have other sounds and posibilities that are of interest fro the youngs
That's why I'm still interested in the Casio AP6....

Can I do similar programing, addning sounds etc., in Yamaha and Roland?

Is there other models from Roland/Yamaha similar funtionality wise to Casio?

RolKra
Stockholm
Sweden
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
If additional sounds is what you are after, you could consider using software for that. All DP's can be connected to a computer and using software you can get additional sounds. These are better quality than what comes built in on many digitals. So if you are going to consider buying something with a built in sound module, be sure to evaluate how much you will use it verses the price you are going to pay for this feature. By the way, if you can't find an AP-620 to demo, the PX 330 is the same thing without the fancy cabinet and higher wattage amp/speakers.

R
RolKra Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you this was helpful.....

RolKra
Stockholm
Sweden
Stay away from the Casio. Quality and quality control are way below the other brands you mention.

--- Estonia L190 #7249 ---
My great-grandfather was an opera singer
My grandfather was a pianist
We'll see what my kids do
I'd second taking a hard look at Kawai - perhaps the CA-63? In the big scheme of things, it's not that much more expensive than the AP-6.

--- Estonia L190 #7249 ---
My great-grandfather was an opera singer
My grandfather was a pianist
We'll see what my kids do
D
D
I tried a casio ap6. It was nice but the tune compared to the 340 and especially the 305. Blown away. I gotta say that hp 305 just outright kicks ass. From that deep octave down to that light as sound high octave.

Hellofa price for one of those puppies though. Didn't like the 302, the feel wasn't as nice and the high notes didn't seem as good.

The yamaha clp340 was a good one to. The feel and the sound, really nice peice of equipment. Still think the rolland's sound was a bit better but then again ur paying say 2700 for a 340; 3300 for the hp305.

I played on a kawai 63 and 93. Both felt great. I mean key action wise these have it. Even that subtle kickback as you press down. No noise coming up and only that soft touch going down. But sound wise, didn't care for em. I mean both were good don't get me wrong. The mello grand was very nice. But I just liked the sound of the roland and yamaha. Personal preference from the old acoustic I played on.

It's a shame they went cheap on the v240. The standard action wasn't so bad though it should have been regular since the 181 is. But then they went and made it with half as many notes as the 181. I mean come flippn on. It sounded nice, and I really liked the screen and all the fun stuff you could do with it. But what ya gonna do.

The cvp501 is alot like the v240 with better action and more notes but then I wondered why for an extra 400 bucks did a cvp have only 3 sampling while the clp 340 had 4? I never found one to test it out sound wise.

Last edited by dewar; 02/18/11 08:56 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission