2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1622432 02/17/11 09:26 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi

I am playing a Chopin piece for the first time, one of his Mazurka's for a grade 6 exam.

Would anyone be able to suggest/recommend a cd compilation of his Mazurka's that is available to purchase

thanks

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I like Garrick Ohlsson's "Chopin the Complete Works," on Hyperion. UPC 0 34571 14351 4. You might be able to find the single discs with just the mazurkas at a used CD store, on the former releasing label, Arabesque.

Artur Rubenstein's recordings on BMG (formerly on the RCA label) are classics in their own right, but unfortunately some of the recordings were made before the technology was mature (mono, not very hi-fi, etc). Ohlsson's are more up-to-date in that way.

There are many others, some by wonderful pianists who are much less well-known. It could be worthwhile to just take a chance on whatever you can find in the local stores or library.

Clef

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
There's a recording of Cortot playing all of them. This is a pianist with direct ties to the 19th century. You don't hear playing like this anymore.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
It's fake though, sadly. People had believed this for years, but I can say for certain that they were right. "Cortot" plays many triplets as a quaver and two semiquavers. This is repeatedly deployed in virtually every triplet. This mannerism is nowhere in the mazurka clips from the masterclasses. It's not heard even once, nevermind habitually deployed. The recording (on the "con artist" label) can be dismissed beyond any doubt.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
It's fake though, sadly. People had believed this for years, but I can say for certain that they were right. "Cortot" plays many triplets as a quaver and two semiquavers. This is repeatedly deployed in virtually every triplet. This mannerism is nowhere in the mazurka clips from the masterclasses. It's not heard even once, nevermind habitually deployed. The recording (on the "con artist" label) can be dismissed beyond any doubt.
w

I didn't know that. Do you have any source of info on the subject that you could direct me to? I'd love to learn more. I've not ever heard Cortot's mazurkas (fake or not).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have Ashkenazy.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by stores
w

I didn't know that. Do you have any source of info on the subject that you could direct me to? I'd love to learn more. I've not ever heard Cortot's mazurkas (fake or not).

It's the guy who did the Hatto scam.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef

.....Artur Rubenstein's recordings on BMG (formerly on the RCA label) are classics in their own right, but unfortunately some of the recordings were made before the technology was mature (mono, not very hi-fi, etc)......

I think that you may referring to Rubinstein's recordings from the 1930's on EMI - ones that a few pianists prefer to the later stereo Mazurkas from the 1960's on BMG.

I think his later mazurkas are wonderful - the original vinyl set was one of the formative recordings of my youth. However the piano is miked extremely close, and might sound dry and harsh to many.

When I finally got them on CD, I spent $100 bucks on his BMG complete Chopin set, not realizing that the whole set would be re-issued in a new state-of-the-art remastering job 6 months later. Talk about rotten timing.

Piano instruction and performance
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For a complete recording I would recommend the early Rubinstein set. As far as selections goes, Kapell, Friedmann and Horowitz are personal favourites.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
w

Her husband then, yes? Were the recordings actually Joyce then or...?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The Ashkenazy recordings date from 1977 to 1985 and are available on a two-disc budget set from London/Decca.

No one has yet mentioned the Fou Ts'ong set on Sony Essential Classics. While I haven't heard much about Fou Ts'ong these days, I read he now lives in London and has devoted his time to both performing and teaching. He was acclaimed not only for his Chopin interpretations in general but, specifically, for his intuitive sense of the Mazurka rhythm. He won the special Mazurka prize at the 1955 Chopin International Competition. His recording dates from 1984.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
w

Her husband then, yes? Were the recordings actually Joyce then or...?

Quite honestly, I suspect it is. The pianist is clearly trying to do an impression of an older style. I cannot imagine where else the recordings could have come from.

for a complete set, I second Rubinstein's (in fact, you might as well get his whole Chopin box, it's only 20-someodd dollars), and Ohlsson's. The ones Horowitz plays, he does well, and i believe there are a few clips of Zimerman playing some mazurka's on Youtube...if you want to play one of those, his playing would be an excellent frame of reference.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission