2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That piano sounds splendid, Sam.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
F
F
I believe that the NAMM 7'4" Estonia was sold to California. Anyone played it in the 'natural' environment in its current location?

F

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Impressive sounding instrument.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Nice job, Sam.

For those wondering, the terrific music being played is Liszt's sonata in B min.

If ever there was a piece of music sufficient to test a piano, the Liszt Sonata would be it.

I'm sure that was Liszt's intention when he composed it. smile

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
[Linked Image]
Very nice even without the finish. What style legs are those?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Very nice even without the finish. What style legs are those?
We call those gate legs. grin It kinda gives the piano that harpsichord look. wink

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
sawhorse legs

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
The 7'4 grand was in the making for several years but factory chose not to introduce until it was deemed perfect.

Incidentally I brought up German designer Lothar Thomma who inspected piano for some time. Very impressed.

What signifies Estonia is not just someone making another piano, but someone reaching for the top.

Eager when the first ones will become available.

Norbert

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wonderful sounding piano and Liszt piece as played by Indrek Laul.

That's a nice quality recording Sam.
Were you using one of the portable handheld recorders, recorder from your camera, or more professional gear? Just curious.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you. It was a simple, inexpensive set up + much practice getting the most out of it. I was really surprised it turned out that well given the environment.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well it does sound splendid Sam, and like you say, surprisingly good considering the noisy environment.

However, just to be totally unfair to piano, performer, and recording quality, and to put into perspective the comment that the B minor is one of the sternest tests of a piano imaginable (which it is in total, but not in a snippet), and finally to measure the piano against the spin I keep hearing that Estonia would be category 1 if not for the low price smile ), here is Economou's performance of the Lizst B minor on a a Hamburg Steinway before his tragic death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcPdaG3xXTI

Note: For those who like it, the entire performance can be heard in three links.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by turandot
and finally to measure the piano against the spin I keep hearing that Estonia would be category 1 if not for the low price smile )

Call it what you will, but I got to play the Estonia 225 at NAMM and I preferred it to the Fazioli 228 in the next booth and the Bosendorfer 225 across the street! It is an impressive instrument. smile But of course, for this class of instruments it boils down to taste.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
and finally to measure the piano against the spin I keep hearing that Estonia would be category 1 if not for the low price smile )

Call it what you will, but I got to play the Estonia 225 at NAMM and I preferred it to the Fazioli 228 in the next booth and the Bosendorfer 225 across the street! It is an impressive instrument. smile But of course, for this class of instruments it boils down to taste.

Jazzyprof,

I really don't know what to say here. The quote you excerpted reiterated my earlier comment that the piano sounded splendid. I believe I was the first to respond to Sam's youtube link. "Splendid" seems pretty good to me, but somehow such comments never seem to be enough when messing with the Estonia lobby here. smile

I also said in the post you excerpted that the comparison of a trade show piano wide open for every Tom, Dick and Harriet to play on, and recorded in a very trying acoustic environment to a concert-prepped Hamburg Steinway concert grand professionally miked for recording was unfair, so you might add that into the "Call it what you will" reference.

I made the post because I don't think that the challenges to a piano that are definitely present in the Lizst B Minor were present in the snippet submitted here, and that the inference by an Estonia dealer that that Estonia passed a stern test based on that snippet was bogus. Those challenges can only be anallyzed from a fuller hearing of that particular work on a piano, a hearing that brings to light the extremes of dynamic range called for (among other things).

As to your preference for the Estonia over the Bosie or the Faz, say what you will. grin I don't know what you were playing, but my impression is that there is a lot of classical lit that would reveal the strengths of those two pianos, but that that lit does not include the Lizst B Minor. I've never heard a live or recorded performance of the B Minor on either a Bosie 225 or a Faz 228. It would be interesting, a matter of the meat on the bone versus the exquisite character of the bone itself.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K

I made the post because I don't think that the challenges to a piano that are definitely present in the Lizst B Minor were present in the snippet submitted here, and that the inference by an Estonia dealer that that Estonia passed a stern test based on that snippet was bogus.

Just to be perfectly clear, I generally agree with this statement. I hope that you are not saying that I inferred that the Estonia 225 passed some stern test based on Sam's recording. I couldn't figure out if you were referring to my post or someone elses'.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
What is forgotten is that there were a large group of people playing this piano during NAMM who tried this piano at length and had also something to say after.

This was particularly interesting as Estonia was placed right besides Fazioli during the show.

It was the statements and observation of those including a number of competitors [Steve Cohen..] and even Lothar Thomma who still ring in my ears.

From my recollection, there weren't many ifs and buts.

Of course I wouldn't dare to even indicate any more for fear of piano Taliban raising its ugly,cowardly head again...

Norbert wink

S
S
I spent a good deal of time at the Estonia booth and listened to many who evaluated the new 7'4". The comments were universally positive. I would go so far as to say it was "acclaimed"...and deservedly so.

I also had the pleasure of going to dinner with Indrek the two nights before the show opened to dealers. The first night is was just Indrek and me, eating ribs at Tony Roma's. The second night Larry joined us.

Indrek is every bit the delight as others have described.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert
What is forgotten is that there were a large group of people playing this piano during NAMM who tried this piano at length and had also something to say after.

This was particularly interesting as Estonia was placed right besides Fazioli during the show.

It was the statements and observation of those including a number of competitors [Steve Cohen..] and even Lothar Thomma who still ring in my ears.

Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
I spent a good deal of time at the Estonia booth and listened to many who evaluated the new 7'4". The comments were universally positive. I would go so far as to say it was "acclaimed"...and deservedly so.

I also had the pleasure of going to dinner with Indrek the two nights before the show opened to dealers. The first night is was just Indrek and me, eating ribs at Tony Roma's. The second night Larry joined us.

Indrek is every bit the delight as others have described

Whil all of this is undoubtedly delightful, and camaraderie has its points (and perks! grin ) it is interesting to see how what's important to our retailrr brethren may be of no consequence to consumers with ears and fingers of their own.

Many of us have only NAMM sound clips to go on. A lot of those clips are pretty useless because of the background noise and other issues. Sam's clip was the best IMO. The piano sounded splendid...sweet lyrical treble, alluring tonal qualities. But based on the smaller Estonias that's hardly a surprise. I mean.... who would expect that Indrek Laul would travel to NAMM to lay an egg? laugh

For us consumers who have ears, fingers, and confidence in our powers of evaluation (not our taste -- that's different), we should not factor in the nice guy variable any more than we should factor in the Tony Roma ribs. At some point we'll get a chance to size up one of the new Estonias (unless Ori devoours whole consignments before they reach their intended destination.

(Easy, Ori! It's a joke.)

Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
For us consumers who have ears, fingers, and confidence in our powers of evaluation (not our taste -- that's different), we should not factor in the nice guy variable any more than we should factor in the Tony Roma ribs

Please count under 'consumers' also some dealers roaming the [show] land....

And since my wife is world's best cook, going out to dinner was of less interest to me anyways. Staying right besides Tony Roma I must admit however, their ribs are indeed very good!

Norbert thumb

S
S
One other factor to consider is that not all potential buyers of pianos play or trust their ability to evaluate the tonality and rsponsiveness of pianos they are considering. Many buy a piano to "grow into".

They often rely on the opinions of others.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

B
B

...For us consumers who have ears, fingers, and confidence in our powers of evaluation (not our taste -- that's different), we should not factor in the nice guy variable any more than we should factor in the Tony Roma ribs...

I didn't get the impression from Steve's post that we are supposed to "factor in the nice guy." I thought he was making two separate points...

1. The Estonia 225 was well received at NAMM
2. Indrek Laul is a nice guy.

Estonia L210
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission