2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
27 members (dima5222, AZNpiano, camperbc, Chrispy, Chouca, erichlof, grd-dan, 6 invisible), 315 guests, and 407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Playing Classical on the Nord Piano, how is it on your keys?
#1620739 02/15/11 03:25 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
I've finally become fully accustomed to the NP88's action, and I have to say, it's nice. I've been really trying to work on my technique lately, so I've picked up classical again. Been working on some Chopin, actually Waltz #6 in Db, Op. 64/1, "Minute". It isn't the most technically challenging piece, but apart from Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca, it's the most difficult I've yet learned. I never spent more than a year and a half playing classical before going into blues/pop and finally jazz for the last 4 years. Been playing a little over 7 years now. I'm really enjoying picking up a lot more classical tunes. Anyway, I've found that playing classical on the NP88 has been a real pleasure. The action is responsive, very fast, and though it's not graded in weight, it feels nice. There's a wonderful connection between the action and the sound produced. Strangely enough, I like the Yamaha C7 (Studio Grand 2) the best for classical. It has a nice meaty mellow tone to it. How is playing classical on your instruments.

Here's the NP88 playing part of Puccini's Nessun Dorma played on the Steinway D (Grand Lady D) followed by Chopin's Waltz #7 in C# Minor, Op. 64/2 played on the Yamaha C7 (Studio Grand 2).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdmzIs_G_j4

Kawai MP7SE w/ GFP-3
Re: Playing Classical on the Nord Piano, how is it on your keys?
PianoZac #1620942 02/15/11 08:14 PM
K
K
The NP88 sounds great in that vid! Alas! it is just way out of my budget. Perhaps if they brought it down to the price of a MP6 I could do it.

More on topic, but probably has no relevance, I play at the college I go to in a piano room where they have around 10 digital pianos and a kawai upright. I rarely play the upright because it's loud and others are trying to practice also, so I plug headphones into a really old kawai digital piano. I want to say it's atleast 12 years old and I practice on that, see how it's not relevant.

That is the piano I play my classical music on. You can't even compare the sounds from the old kawai and the NP88. The NP88 sounds fantastic compared to the one I play on.

PianoZac #1621128 02/16/11 04:09 AM
Playing classical in my RD700GX is really a pleasure. I use the Expressive Grand (which is under rated) set to medium touch and I am able to control the dynamics very precisely. I'm satisfied of the overall result. Of course using Ivory II the result gets better...I play some easy stuff from Mozart, Chopin and Beethoven.

The Nord Piano of the demo you linked (thank you) sounds awesome. In Nord website there should be some demos of a sweden classical pianist who obtains great results playing classical on Nord Piano. I think if you're a classical pianist and need to play classic music around the NP can be a nice and credible replacement if lacking an acoustic.

PianoZac #1621173 02/16/11 06:57 AM
R
R

Last edited by rickshapiro; 02/16/11 07:44 AM.

Music Hack

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Ensoniq KS32, Brodmann 187 Grand, JV2080, GR20, JV90, MKS-20, Sonar S1, Reaper, ACID, Record/Reason, Samplitude, VOX Tonelab, Tech21 Power Engine, NI, Kore, True Piano, Sampletank, Komplete, Bluesky Studio Monitors Yamaha 01X, Line 6 HD500, tons of guitars.
rickshapiro #1621176 02/16/11 07:23 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by rickshapiro
Well classical is definitely doable on the Nord. This guy is some player.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HomerJ666#p/a/u/0/Vpyv-acPcqI
http://www.youtube.com/user/HomerJ666#p/u

Great first vid, but what's with the awful guitar-playing in the second one?

rickshapiro #1621179 02/16/11 07:29 AM
M
M

Yes, he's not bad wink

I've yet to try the NP88 out, but – as mentioned in my other thread – it is definitely one I want to try before deciding on which digital piano is right for me. The responsive action and 'connection' between what you play and what you hear can't be ignored, and whilst I may not have got my hands on one just yet, it certainly appears to be a highly capable, expressive instrument despite not being one that feels totally 'authentic'.

I'm still wondering what stand and speaker system I would pair the NP88 with if it turns out to be the DP for me. Jerry's double-braced X-stand looks to have a fair bit of wobble, and I'm not 100% sure about the retro styled legs from Nord. Anybody use those?

A shadow of my former self, but still the same Mac guy - designing, taking photos, talking tech, being creative and finally playing the piano again!
ando #1621185 02/16/11 07:43 AM
R
R
Originally Posted by ando

http://www.youtube.com/user/HomerJ666#p/a/u/0/Vpyv-acPcqI
http://www.youtube.com/user/HomerJ666#p/u

Great first vid, but what's with the awful guitar-playing in the second one?

Agreed. Sorry, wrong link , meant to link to Chopin.

Last edited by rickshapiro; 02/16/11 07:45 AM.

Music Hack

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Ensoniq KS32, Brodmann 187 Grand, JV2080, GR20, JV90, MKS-20, Sonar S1, Reaper, ACID, Record/Reason, Samplitude, VOX Tonelab, Tech21 Power Engine, NI, Kore, True Piano, Sampletank, Komplete, Bluesky Studio Monitors Yamaha 01X, Line 6 HD500, tons of guitars.
PianoZac #1621265 02/16/11 11:15 AM
I'd seen the Minute Waltz video before but not the Etude. I think the NP sounds really good in both of them and has great clarity at the bottom end which is one of the least satisfactory aspects of the CP5. For various reasons (weight, mono performance, EPs) I'm considering the Nord seriously for the first time and these videos, together with the classical clips on the Nord website, are doing nothing to deflate the GAS...

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
mrmacmusic #1621271 02/16/11 11:33 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic

I'm still wondering what stand and speaker system I would pair the NP88 with if it turns out to be the DP for me. Jerry's double-braced X-stand looks to have a fair bit of wobble, and I'm not 100% sure about the retro styled legs from Nord. Anybody use those?

Whatever stand is in use in the YouTube clips seems a bit wobbly. Seems like that would be distracting. And the ones from Nord at least look a bit spindly.

I've been using a QuikLok Z-726L for some time now, and it's pretty stable. Perhaps not terribly portable, but then it never leaves my house, so that's not an issue for me.

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=99&sName=Z-726L

Not sure if that stability may be the inherent design, or the fact that I typically have a Roland XP-30 on the upper tier, plus two M-Audio SPBX8 powered monitors on it as well. Maybe all that extra mass keeps it stable.

FWIW, the speaker stands that attach to this rack are the QuikLok Z-731, since you asked.

Last edited by dje31; 02/16/11 03:55 PM.

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
Aidan #1621471 02/16/11 04:11 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Aidan
I'd seen the Minute Waltz video before but not the Etude. I think the NP sounds really good in both of them and has great clarity at the bottom end which is one of the least satisfactory aspects of the CP5. For various reasons (weight, mono performance, EPs) I'm considering the Nord seriously for the first time and these videos, together with the classical clips on the Nord website, are doing nothing to deflate the GAS...

You bring up an interesting point that definitely distinguishes the NP88-the clarity through the low end. You probably haven't heard the new Bosendorfer Sample in XL size-it's huge. I think Nord did a wonderful job in capturing the huge low end on the Bosie Imperial. If you've ever listened to pieces played on the Imperial, there's an unbeatable clarity to the low end, probably partly because of the resonance of the added extra notes and basic physics of having the longer harp (9'6" I believe). Have you played the NP88 Aidan? Interestingly enough, the Yamaha C7 is my favorite piano to play classical on, probably because of it's mellower tone. The NP88 is just fun to play, whether classical or jazz.

For anyone looking at the NP88, just a kind of FYI. From my experience testing a ton of different boards, the Nord Piano grew on me. If I were to judge the NP88 on first impressions, I'd have gone with the CP5 (since it cuts through so well live). But after spending time with multiple visits to the music store over the course of about 2 months, the Nord became more and more appealing. The sounds, feature set, sample library, weight and flexibility were just right on for me.

Last edited by PianoZac; 02/16/11 04:30 PM.

Kawai MP7SE w/ GFP-3
dje31 #1621481 02/16/11 04:29 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by dje31

Whatever stand is in use in the YouTube clips seems a bit wobbly. Seems like that would be distracting. And the ones from Nord at least look a bit spindly.

I've been using a QuikLok Z-726L for some time now, and it's pretty stable....

Back in the day I had a double-braced Quiklok stand like the one in the clip, and whilst it was pretty sturdy, when digging in on my old P200 it did wobble a bit (although that Yamaha was pretty heavy!).

The fact that the Nord legs look spindly and a bit feeble does put me off, but they are half the cost of the Z-stand you mention, and I would like to hear if anybody has them what their opinion is of them. Anyone? What stand do you use with your NP88 Zachary?

A shadow of my former self, but still the same Mac guy - designing, taking photos, talking tech, being creative and finally playing the piano again!
mrmacmusic #1621495 02/16/11 04:57 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic

The fact that the Nord legs look spindly and a bit feeble does put me off, but they are half the cost of the Z-stand you mention, and I would like to hear if anybody has them what their opinion is of them. Anyone? What stand do you use with your NP88 Zachary?

When I'm at home I use my studio desk, which is obviously rock solid stable. When I gig for now I use the Roland KS-G8 stand, which isn't the most practical since you can't break it down, but it's a super pro looking, very stable stand. I'll probably get a platform stand since they look very similar to the Nord Legs, but are more stable supportive and fold right up.
http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/item/home/model/KS7150/grp/Grp000073
Here's a pic of mine now:
[Linked Image]

Kawai MP7SE w/ GFP-3
PianoZac #1621500 02/16/11 05:03 PM
D
D
The Z-726 listed at $280 US when I got it, but I got it at Sam Ash for $170 US. Don't know if you can get such deals in Scotland.

If you don't need the upper tier, QuikLok has the Z-71, which also has a quick-folding feature, if portability is a requirement. It looks like it can be had ~$130-140 US.

Other brands make similar Z-style stands, perhaps for less...but I haven't regretted the QuikLok.

Now if I can just find somebody to buy my RD-700SX so I can get that NP88!

dje31 #1621517 02/16/11 05:27 PM
M
M
The Z-726 listed at $280 US when I got it, but I got it at Sam Ash for $170 US. Don't know if you can get such deals in Scotland.

If you don't need the upper tier, QuikLok has the Z-71, which also has a quick-folding feature, if portability is a requirement. It looks like it can be had ~$130-140 US.

Other brands make similar Z-style stands, perhaps for less...but I haven't regretted the QuikLok.

Now if I can just find somebody to buy my RD-700SX so I can get that NP88!

I'm in the same boat.... whether or not I decide on the NP88, I have to sell my Tyros 3 first!

I must admit I'm sorely tempted to hang on to the Yamaha L7S stand (see below) – like the Roland stand it doesn't fold down but would be the perfect size for the Nord.

Now, will someone please just bid already.... crazy

[Linked Image]

PianoZac #1621522 02/16/11 05:33 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by PianoZac
[quote=mrmacmusic]
When I'm at home I use my studio desk, which is obviously rock solid stable. When I gig for now I use the Roland KS-G8 stand, which isn't the most practical since you can't break it down, but it's a super pro looking, very stable stand. I'll probably get a platform stand since they look very similar to the Nord Legs, but are more stable supportive and fold right up.
http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/item/home/model/KS7150/grp/Grp000073

Thanks Zachary – that Roland stand does look the business, but I agree it's not the most practical for gigging! The platform stand idea looks interesting, and I think there's a QuikLok along the same lines too but I can't remember the model number.

I reckon my best option is probably to hang onto the Yamaha L7S stand (see above) which ironically might help me sell the Tyros.... I've had it listed as collection only or the whole lot, but since I have the Tyros original packaging I could feasibly offer to ship it across the UK opening up more potential buyers.

PianoZac #1621667 02/16/11 09:51 PM
D
D
I'd guess someone in the market for your Tyros probably wants the whole kit-and-kaboodle, stand, speakers, bench. You might be able to bust it up, or keep bits for yourself, but a package deal might go faster, to the right buyer.

mrmacmusic #1621855 02/17/11 04:45 AM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
I use the Nord legs with the NP88...I think they're designed to look a little bit like the spindly splayed legs of a Fender Rhodes or Wurlitzer. The Nord legs are very solid though - no rocking at all. They come with plates that screw to the bottom of the piano with extra rubber feet so if you unscrew the tubes you can still place the piano down onto a table or other flat surface. The tubes are easy to transport...easier even than an X stand...set up takes a couple of minutes. I also have the same Roland stand as Zachary which is a great stand and would suit most, if not all, stage pianos. I do recommend the Nord legs though.

Steve

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000 | Kawai VPC1
dje31 #1621858 02/17/11 04:51 AM
M
M
I'd guess someone in the market for your Tyros probably wants the whole kit-and-kaboodle, stand, speakers, bench. You might be able to bust it up, or keep bits for yourself, but a package deal might go faster, to the right buyer.

I've had lots of interest, but so far no takers – I know the price is right, so I can only conclude that "cash on collection" here in Central Scotland is putting potential buyers off. It would be a shame to split it, but I've re-listed just the keyboard and matching speakers to see how that goes, with 'best offer' and the option to arrange your own courier.... not sure I can do anything else.

Desperate to get back to 88 keys so hopefully it'll shift this weekend. Fingers crossed.

PianoZac #1621874 02/17/11 06:15 AM
I like how the Nord legs look and they're pretty solid (I used to have a classic Stage 76). Set-up is relatively quick but a little ungainly, as you have to lay the keyboard on its edge while you attach the leg and braces, then bring it all upright as one unit, which can be a bit awkward for a single person.

However, the main problem of the Nord stand is the weight - 5.5kg. Most of that weight is in the steel plate which you leave attached to the bottom of the keyboard itself, negating at a stroke much of the weight advantage which attracts many buyers.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
Aidan #1621938 02/17/11 08:55 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Aidan
I like how the Nord legs look and they're pretty solid (I used to have a classic Stage 76). Set-up is relatively quick but a little ungainly, as you have to lay the keyboard on its edge while you attach the leg and braces, then bring it all upright as one unit, which can be a bit awkward for a single person.

However, the main problem of the Nord stand is the weight - 5.5kg. Most of that weight is in the steel plate which you leave attached to the bottom of the keyboard itself, negating at a stroke much of the weight advantage which attracts many buyers.

Thanks Aidan – personally I was unsure of the look of the Nord legs, so now I know how they work in practice it's put me right of them smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing triplets in rhythms
by zillybug - 04/09/20 10:06 PM
What keyboard is this
by Bruce In Philly - 04/09/20 07:00 PM
Biggest range of great sounds ?
by Edb123 - 04/09/20 04:40 PM
Mason and Hamlin “baby” grand - one key
by SeanMcD12 - 04/09/20 04:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics198,025
Posts2,943,601
Members96,550
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission