2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Recital #21!!!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital 21 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #21 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
#1. Ben- Nice start for the recital! A beautiful little waltz and so nicely played.
#2. Wouter- Nicely handled there Wouter. A real nice feel and I especially liked the second part which I think I've rarely listened to.
#4. Mel- wow, I thought it was going to be some kind of umpa Waltz but instead it's this beautiful feeling piece. I think you said it all when you described it as "slow, soft, simple, and elegant."
#5. Yea Sam!! Before you are done you will have an album of Mendelssohn. I really look forward to your playing every recital. I note you say it should be faster but I really like the tempo you play it at.
#6. cgyan- Cool piece. I would not normally like that much reverb but it works. Watched it on youtube.
#7. Keemanan- Imagining I'm at an actual recital this was a nice switch from the other works. I really enjoyed hearing the different voices. Seems to me you handled the left hand exceptionally well.
#8. SH- Well, you really had the crowds in line for this one SH! You didn't disappoint, I almost had flashbacks.. Sounds like you had some fun playing it too... smile

Last edited by Peyton; 02/14/11 11:23 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Oh my gosh! You are all so fast!! I thought it wouldn't be up till tomorrow, but not only is the recital thread up and completed, the discussion thread has already started!

Monica, thank you again for doing all of this!!

I am going to start listening now! Yay!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
1. BenPiano - I really enjoyed this. I think you captured the feeling of this piece very well, or at least it worked for me!
2. Wouter - nice rhythm and groove, overall fantastic job, esp. with the RH and the punchy/frolicky dynamics. perhaps bring out some of the subtle LH melodies (or that could just be my imagination that hears them). exceptional recording and that's an era instrument, right? well done!
3. Peyton - superb playing. Emotions: sad, hopeful, nostaglic, longing, bitter sorrow, ... the high-register stuff in the last minute or so is just too potent. This must have been a moving experience with respect to your friend.
4. D-lux - nailed the first bar, so I know I'm good to keep listening wink You know, I'm not familiar with this piece, so I'm going to have to give it a few listens, but I can tell this is very, very good playing. Oh, also an exceptional recording.
5. Sam Smith - I've really enjoyed these Sam. I'm glad there are so many diverse interests in this group. These Mendelsohn pieces are so beautiful, and very well played.
6. Iain - You are dialing up the gems my friend. Your production is terrific, from playing to recording to the video. A very beautiful piece. The thought that comes to mind is 'timeless.'
7. KeemaNan - outstanding balance and evenness overall and between voices. I don't know what accents you are troubled by, but maybe a more refined ear than mine would be troubled.
8. Mr. Super Hunky - awesome, man. that's exactly why that album is my all time #1. thanks. funny, but at the end, I was waiting for the cash register... wink

Last edited by hawgdriver; 02/15/11 12:58 AM.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
28. Strings & Wood - Op. 68 An outtake would have been funny. Nice playing - nice staccato and phrasing, and tinkly meldoy smile

31. Augustina - Somewhere Out There Nice job. Very pretty piece.

43. Mike White Oh, I like! Definitely that great dance feel. Nice drama and shifts in the feeling.

1. BenPiano - Waltz in G# Minor I can see elegant waltzers from the 19th century in my head smile Very nice.

56. ddh - Daniel - les lulus I expected it to be bouncy, but it was very nostalgic. After reading the comment I shouldn't have been surprised. Nicely done.

57. mcasl - Hob XVI This was delightful! I liked your trills.

13. casinitaly - Cheryl - Gypsy Legend I was looking forward to this. You got that Gypsy feel - I liked it a lot.

19. Mateusz 'Mati' - Odin Sphere Lovely! Delicate beginning to kind of triumphant.

29. serge88 - Your Song How cool that you did your own arrangement - it was great. In fact, the whole thing was cool.

27. BillM - Mr. President You know, I almost had your former name memorized - This was terrific. Great swing - I wish I had that kind of swing. Loved it.

I'm going to try listening more tonight, but everything is really slo-o-o-ow on this end - PW and the tune downloads. But onward and upwards!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I've skimmed through all of them.. enjoyed it very much (each and every submission). Keep up the good work everybody, and thanks for sharing your work!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
48. Laura aka ten left thumbs - Moonlight This was beautiful - thanks so much for contributing it.

54. TTigg - i Giorni You did a great job on this TTigg. And the black and white photos were perfect - the perfect feel.

6. cgyan - Iain - Aria I think your avatar was bobbing in time with the music smile This had some great sonorous parts in the bass.

10. CarlosCC - I Due Fiumi Oh, very nice - quite nice. One could do a lot of reflecting to this music.

34. Mohan Karthik - So Far Away Nice first composition. You were right in style with your inspiration.

32. Undone - Toccata in D minor Well done! I liked the piano on it - and the big chords made me sit up straight laugh

17. Inlanding - Glen - Medley Very accomplished. Dark, smoky bar, black and white movie smile

22. MartinJB - Reflections Beautiful. And congratulations on your first ABF recital.

39. Sideshow/Edwin - Prelude I thought it was fun! Very lively - great spirit.

36. MaryBee - Sheep I thought it was pretty well balanced. It was also well-paced - an organ kind of stateliness.

More, but probably not until Thursday. Great music so far.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
9. P-Rex I have a special place for marches. Maybe it's because of the military training, or maybe it's just part of me. For example, I'm working on two marches right now, if that's any indication. Anyways, I was not familiar with the Wiener march before listening to your performance. I rather enjoyed your piece, what a fun and pleasant performance!
10. CarlosCC - I'm starting to see why everyone loves Einaldi. Wow, I'm really enjoying this performance a great deal. I don't think I'm going to be able to resist learning this and I Giorni. Well done!
11. Monica - you keep out-doing yourself. I loved this performance, and I liked the rhythm of the alternating two-note parts.
12. JF - the first thing that strikes me is that the performer has a certain air of confidence and surety, and then guess who it happens to be??? wink excellent choices, they blend / complement well.
13. Cheryl - ooo, that was tasty was my thought the first time through. I like the gypsy feel of this piece. This makes me a tad intrigued about why you sought it out--is there some gypsy in you?
14. CMohr - this I like. I enjoyed this piece very much, I wish it was easier to identify the parts that I thought were exceptional, but I'll just say there were a few moments in which I thought 'mmm. that's how you do it.' And I don't really know 'how you do it', but I knew it was something that caught a certain feeling that usually doesn't get caught.
15. T Vance - For whatever reason, I really enjoy the stuff Chopin does in C# min. This was quite musical and pleasant. I really enjoyed this waltz, I'm going to have to give it more attention. I love Chopin but haven't gotten into the waltzes and mazurkas yet--but I have a new favorite. I'm listening to Joangolfing's piece but the Chopin is still playing!!
16. Joanlgolfing - Ok, I had to take some ear-ginger after Todd's performance to cleanse the palate, because about 2-3 minutes into your piece, I realized I was missing something special. This is a very moody piece, just the kind I really like. I thought your performance was exceptionally musical.
17. Glen - three excellent pieces (or is it one?) I'm really impressed at some of the jazz talent in this recital. I really enjoyed your performance, and look forward to repeated listenings.
18. Ken - Although somewhat spare compared to some of these other performances, yours sticks out as particularly musical. There is something about distilling the essence of the music into the fundamental components that is very satisfying to the ear. I quite enjoyed these two--esp. mysterioso.
19. Mati - Is this from Final Fantasy? I recognize Odin. I loved FF VII back in '97. In any event, you are very talented. excellent recording, and all in 3 days? seriously? this was a real treat.

Last edited by hawgdriver; 02/15/11 04:17 AM.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
These are kind of 'first impressions', many of these I'll need to let them marinate, but I'd like to echo l85--this is really an impressive collection of performances (about 2/3 through), and I'm so proud of everyone, and pleased to be in such fine company (even if I'm at the less-musical end of the spectrum).

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
01. BenPiano - Waltz in G# Minor for Two Hands Op. 39 No. 3 Just wonderful playing with great feeling, Ben. The balance of the left and right hands was perfect! Charming waltz. Excellent recording, too.

02. wouter79 - the entertainer It's hard to believe you've only been playing 1 year! Great job - you got the perfect feeling down in this piece, especially the first section. It sounded like I was in the room with you - nice recording.

03. Peyton - Angel What a sublime melody - evocative of so many feelings. I know you said it is pretty simple, but that's not a bad thing. Some of the simplest melodies are the loveliest-as this is. I enjoyed this tremendously!

04. dannylux / Mel - Morgen Absolutely beautiful piece! You certainly did it justice with your perfect touch. I definitely enjoyed listening!

05. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Opus 19 #1 Oh, this may be my favorite of the SWWs that you've played! I think you did a fabulous job in bringing out the top melody note, while still letting all the others sing. I enjoyed your tempo, also.

06. cgyan (Iain) - Aria Another composer who is new to me. I love it! From your description of his works, I think the tone in which you chose to record was perfect. Your playing sounds flawless, moving and dynamic. Very professional! Love the big sound towards the end.

07. KeemaNan - A New Ground (Z. T682) Lovely work on the Purcell! Your ornaments were very well done and appropriate. I enjoyed this very much!

08. Mr Super Hunky - The great gig in the sky (cover) Your description of this as an "inspired cover" is perfect - very inspiring! You absolutely have captured the feeling of the original with the one instrument. I would have never thought "The Great Gig..." could be done solo. This was wicked good!

09. Pianosaurus Rex / Yannick - Wiener Marsch I love a good march! Great work! (Only 13 mos?!) It does sound like a fun piece to play - that's evident in your performance. (I hope you didn't really do 3254 takes grin ?

10. CarlosCC - I Due Fiumi Holy cow! This is an amazing performance! So well played - your touch, dynamics and feeling are sensational! I'm jealous of you memorizing this 5+ minute piece. I loved it. Nice recording, too.

11. Monica K. - The Meadow This is a beautiful piece by another composer who is new to me,. It's very evocative (to me anyway) of unrequited love. Very classy performance!

12. John Frank - Two Waltz Medley : Waltz in B Minor & Waltz in D MajorI really like your description of what you did for an intro and how you changed a couple things - it works exceptionally well. I love the Shubert and a very nice segue into the Maykapar waltz. Charmingly played. Made me smile and feel like waltzing! The two waltzes go well together. I really enjoyed this medley!

13. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Gypsy Legend Your new piano sounds wonderful! This is a very "neat" little piece, played smoothly and confidently. I love the gypsy feel. You get better with each recital! thumb

More tomorrow.

I am so impressed with the performances I've listened to so far. Can't wait to listen to the remaining submissions!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
2.) Wouter - Joplin's Entertainer!

Wouter, I'll always listen to Joplin recordings first so you're first on my list!

I liked this arrangement, and "Entertainer's" one of those pieces that sounds nice in almost any arrangement. Great job with the syncopation, pedaling, and dynamics. Where did you get the sheet music for this by the way? smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
01. BenPiano - Waltz in G# Minor for Two Hands Op. 39 No. 3 - Ben, fine interpretation and very nice, easy touch on this lovely little waltz. I only wished it had been longer! I might have been strongly tempted to insert a repeat sign at the end. I love waltzes and especially in minor keys - as you will discover - and this is a gem.

02. wouter79 - the entertainer - Fairly good 1st measure - got bored & didn't listen to the rest of the piece - 1st measure might have been better if you had used a DP though. Good overall effort on this Ragtime classic - your piano sounded fine and the recording even seemed like it was from that era - commendable job.

03. Peyton - Angel - Peyton, this is a warm, reflective and thoughtful piece - a lovely composition and very beautifully played - great left hand control - enjoyable video too - is your camera programmed for changes or do you have a videographer?

04. dannylux / Mel - Morgen - Mel, yes, slow and simple and elegant, and as you say, exquisitely beautiful - which both describes the piece and your playing! I found it very interesting to know that the vocal part was added to the original accompaniment to create the piano solo. Throughly enjoyab;e performance.

05. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Opus 19 #1 - Sam, very impressive and lyrical interpretation of 19/1 - these "Songs" are all lovely and engaging works and you've done a great job working your way thru them (when is the CD going to be released?) - I really enjoy your playing on all of them thumb

06. cgyan (Iain) - Aria - cgyan, excellently played (as all of your pieces are) - highly interesting work with a good, listenable feel to it - perhaps it needed just a little more variation? Not sure - But very enjoyable overall - like your camera angle and the soft B&W focus.

More to follow...

JF

Last edited by John Frank; 02/15/11 08:38 AM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I'll keep adding my thoughts each day...
#1 Ben. You made me visualize the dance. Nice.
#11 MonicaK. loved how the music becomes more complex. Your tempo excites and engages.
#21 Riddler. how cool that you did the arrangement. A happy feel to this piece.
#31 Augustina. bright and energetic. Metronome work will help even out that tempo.
#41 jotur/Cathy. This hymn is a favorite of mine too. What a nice arrangement and played well.
#50 Bunneh. A new composer for me. fluid, musical, nice temp.
#51 Hawgdriver. Ah...a fellow Denver person. Beautiful piece played with sensitivity. Chopin must like too..
#52 Bluekeys. Your Bach starts confidently at lively speed...although the speed starts racing it doesn't fall apart. Good work.
#53 Custard apple. nice sound and hand balance. Pretty.
#54 TTigg. what great finger exercise. Musical too.
#55 Copper. love this gentle piece. Good job.
#56 ddh. reminds me of a summer day by the lake. Enjoyed it.

Last edited by WiseBuff; 02/16/11 08:41 AM.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
First ten - I really didn't mean to listen to these in one go but I couldn't stop myself - this is one great recital!!

01. BenPiano - Waltz in G# Minor for Two Hands Op. 39 No. 3 You made a great start to the February Piano Bar and now you've started this recital off in great style too. Just as with Gymopedie, I think the way your left hand is so smooth is remarkable and gives this waltz a great feel.

02. wouter79 - the entertainer Sorry but I don't listen to recordings from acoustic pianos wink. This was a lovely performance of a classic. I gave up trying to learn this last year so I'm always impressed with those who've stuck with it (I'll do it one year). You struck a really nice tempo and there were some lovely touches with the dynamics.

03. Peyton - Angel That's a lovely tune. I wouldn't worry about embellishing it too much - it's simplicity has a charm and you played it beautifully.

04. dannylux / Mel - Morgen Wow ... I was totally drawn into that piece. Suddenly Sam's piece came on (I was using the auto-player) and I got surprised. That was so beautiful!

05. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Opus 19 #1 When I was growing up I always thought there was a single "Song without words" (the one I learnt playing the flute). Imagine my surprise when I found out he wrote thousands wink of them. Of all of them, this is probably my favorite - it has such wonderful melodic an harmonic touches. And your performance brought them all out without misplacing the accents. The dynamic range was wonderful.

06. cgyan (Iain) - Aria Very dreamy, it could go on and on and I wouldn't care. You did a wonderful job of just letting the music flow.

07. KeemaNan - A New Ground (Z. T682) The way you kept the voices so balanced and independent - but together was wonderful. Purcell wrote some great music and you did it justice.

08. Mr Super Hunky - The great gig in the sky (cover) I've never been a huge Floyd fan (I'll claim I'm too young) so I didn't know the original well but I enjoyed your performance greatly. It works great as a piano piece - however it started out life. As you note, that bass is something else ... hopefully you didn't get too wet recording it! Perhaps dial down the gain on the H2 a fraction though.

09. Pianosaurus Rex / Yannick - Wiener Marsch I don't know why people give Czerny a hard time. He wrote some great piano music. This is a lovely march and you got a great balance between the TUM-DE-DAs and the melodic lines that are interwoven. I know what you mean about leaving out repeats to get a recording though ...

10. CarlosCC - I Due Fiumi Another lovely dreamy, meandering (in a good way) piece ... definitely living up to the title. You played it so beautifully - very evenly, but with contrasts where needed.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
01. BenPiano - Waltz in G# Minor for Two Hands Op. 39 No. 3 A great piece to begin the e-cital. Brahms is one of my favorites and you played this beautiful piece very sensitively as Brahms would have it. Bravo!

02. wouter79 - the entertainer You held a great bass line and tempo throughout. My Dad used to play Scott Joplin all the time. This is one of the greats of truly American music and you did it justice.

03. Peyton - Angel A tribute to your friend, a wonderful composition, Peyton. You are clearly connecting with the music, getting into it. Thanks for sharing this.

04. dannylux / Mel - Morgen A very beautiful melody, well played. It tells a wonderful story through your fingers.

05. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Opus 19 #1 You always impress by playing Mendelssohn. You bring out the melody very nicely and your hesitations and dynamics are superbly placed.

06. cgyan (Iain) - Aria Simply great! I really like this piece. Such talent you are. Thanks to you, this one gets added to my own to learn playlist.

07. KeemaNan - A New Ground (Z. T682) Very interesting composition I've not heard before. I really like how the bass line interplays with the melody. A great sound to the recording and to your playing. Thanks for sharing this music.

08. Mr Super Hunky - The great gig in the sky (cover) I was having flashbacks listening to your solo piano arrangement. Love those chord changes. Nicely played.

09. Pianosaurus Rex / Yannick - Wiener Marsch Really enjoyed your playing. I'd not heard this before. You held the tempo really well and show great control

10. CarlosCC - I Due Fiumi You played this piece very smoothly. I really like the fact your children picked this music for your e-cital. It is a proud, upbeat, sounding piece and you bring that out beautifully.

11. Monica K. - The Meadow You controlled the dynamics in such a way, it brings the melody to life. Thank you.

12. John Frank - Two Waltz Medley : Waltz in B Minor & Waltz in D Major You definitely can't go wrong with a Schubert waltz and you played it beautifully, plenty of fire. This is a first I've ever heard by Maykapar - thanks for bringing this music to the e-cital. It is a very pretty piece, very well played.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
#9. Yannick- Sounds like a combination of a nice fun piece and an exercise. I didn't know Czerny could be that much fun.
#10. Carlos- Einaudi can write such dreamy pieces. I really like the way you play this. It's neat that your kids like it too. (I'll be coming back to hear it again.. smile )
#11.Monica- That piece is so "you"... smile You play it as if you wrote it.
#12. Frank- I've played this on occasion and really love it. I agree with what you say.."a delightful piece to listen to and very much a fun piece to play." (And danged if you didn't keep me interested way past that first bar much less the first note or the silence before the first note...! smile ) Your transition between the two waltzes is very neat!
#13.-Casinitaly- very enjoyable. You are playing great for only 13 months.

01. BenPiano - Waltz in G# Minor for Two Hands Op. 39 No. 3
BenPiano,

just lovely as well. Your melody really sings, very very lyrical playing.

Also I sort of forgot about the short Brahms waltzes, thanks for reminding me and giving me a great idea of what to suggest to my teacher next!
I don't have any suggestions that might help you, unfortunately wink

05. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Opus 19 #1
Sam,

lovely rendition! I never noticed this piece in my collection played by Barenboim but I loved what I heard from you - so you must be doing something right!! wink I think this piece really benefits from a really audible bass and middle voice compared to the Barenboim - something you aced.

How would you rate this in terms of technical difficulty compared to 19/6 and similar pieces such as Grieg's Arietta and Von fremden Ländern und Menschen?

15. Todd Vance - Waltz, in C# Minor Op. 64 #2
Todd,
You sound very certain in your playing and don't overdo the pedal, which gives this a very sophisticated sound. If I were to suggest anything, maybe play the LH quieter in certain parts.

I am usually a big fan of a LH that you can actually hear, unlike many professional recordings, but in some parts here, like the beginning it might give the RH melody some more spotlight if you toned it down. Just my 2 cents!

23. hoffy - Minuet In G Major (BWV Anh. 114 - come on, you all know it!)

Hoffy,
definitely not done to death. I never learned this and sight-read through it at a painfully slow tempo in my last lesson. Thanks for giving me an idea what it sounds like when you actually play it beautifully and at tempo!

24. LaValse - Prelude Op 11 No 4
LaValse,

I don't know this piece, but it sounds like Scriabin even before you start - did you hear that static lament it's own mortality? wink
Can never have enough Scriabin, and this is another candidate for that indefinite point in time when I might dare learning some Scriabin as well. Thank you for your melancholy and gentle rendition.

33. LisztAddict - Prelude in b minor
LisztAddict,
A very haunting piece, I'd not have guessed Bach if I listened to it without info! As usual your playing is flawless from where I'm standing!

51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop'
hawgdriver:
I'll be honest - from your "time played" and your description I was scared of listening to this. It just started playing after I checked my own submission.

And it's fantastic! I brought up the idea of playing this about a year ago and my teacher told me to be patient and forget about it for now.

If I was able to play it like you do, I'd be perfectly content and I've playing twice as long. This is definitely a huge achievement! Congratulations!

52. bluekeys - Invention #13
Bluekeys,

Don't be so hard on yourself.vI liked your playing a lot! Certainly re-affirms my desire to learn this.
As for critique: You might play the 8th in the beginning a bit more pronounced and detached. They have such a lovely melody and effect.

BachScholar does this brilliantly in his YT video, IMHO.

I definitely don't think it needs to be any faster.

Otherwise I am out of suggestions wink

53. custard apple - A Time for Love
wow - I am really not a jazz person which is why I tend to miss out on a lot of the jazz submissions, but this is really outstanding. And I hope I don't give offense by saying this, but this is a piece that really needs that lovely out-of-tune bar piano sound which your piano has to the fullest. I really need a 3rd instrument! I am sure my SO is thrilled by this realization... Thanks for broadening my horizon.

54. TTigg / Steve C - I Giorni
Lovely Einaudi, I'd have put you at 5+ years of experience from this professional rendition.

This was just my first batch - very well done.

I think this recital really should have a special "kudos" to all people with 1.5 years of experience or less - the quality of submissions in this "bracket" was really exceptionally high this time around and should prove to the world without a doubt that playing the piano gets very rewarding very early if you're as talented and/or hard-working as you guys!

Last edited by Bunneh; 02/15/11 11:12 AM.

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
11. Monica K. - The Meadow This just drew me in from the first couple of bars and when the bass kicked in after a minute or so it had me completely hooked. It was so delicately played with a beautiful balance throughout. There was always clear direction too - it could so easily just have sprawled out.

12. John Frank - Two Waltz Medley : Waltz in B Minor & Waltz in D Major That introduction was superb. I listened first before reading your notes on it and thought, "wow - that composer was a genius" ... pat yourself on the back! The waltz's were beautifully played throughout. Mine have a tendency to lurch and twist too much but you kept them nice and steady with variation where needed.

13. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Gypsy Legend Very nice Cheryl! You kept a very nice balance between the hands. Sounds like it's time for your next tuning though!

14. CMohr - I Should Care I could tell it was submitted from a Mac so I didn't bother listening. I could almost smell the cigarette smoke wafting over me as I listened. Very nicely played - and I particularly enjoyed the introduction.

15. Todd Vance - Waltz, in C# Minor Op. 64 #2 This was one of the two pieces my teacher and I considered for this year - in the end I took the B minor waltz. But if I had done this one I would have been very proud to get it sounding like that. The different sections were nicely contrasted and you got that nice "waltz" feel to the left hand that's so important for Chopin.

16. Joangolfing - Sonata E Major Op.14 No.1 Allegretto When this started, I thought - that's wrong, it's been mislabeled. I think you'll agree it's not really allegretto but it was a charming performance and certainly it works at that pace. It was nicely controlled throughout and very musical.

17. Inlanding - Glen - Medley of Three Three for the price of one!! "I Remember Clifford" was very nicely done; some lovely shifts in there. I enjoyed your originals too - particularly the wonderful miniature!

18. Ken. - Monk Medley - Misterioso & Bye-ya I went back and listened a second time - they just flew by the first time through. The first piece was nice and mellow and the second was a great contrast; very nice swing partway through.

19. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Odin Sphere no Theme That's a great piece; very dreamy - I'm not often a fan of game music but you might convert me!

20. True Beginner - Winter Serenade I feel I'm out on a walk through lightly snowy woods; the sun is just about peeking through. Very delicately and beautifully played.

Kawai K3
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
21. Riddler (Ed) - Dolphin Dance That's a great piece. I'm not sure what the dolphins were doing but you made the piece dance very nicely. Your arrangement sounded wonderful!

22. MartinJB / martin - Reflections Em You were definitely "ahead"! The pedalling was very nice and it was a wonderful smooth performance.

23. hoffy - Minuet In G Major (BWV Anh. 114 - come on, you all know it!) Oh, yeah, I know it. That was a wonderful performance too - I've never learnt it with the ornaments but you make a great case for going back and putting them in. Very nice control in keeping the sound balanced between left and right hand.

24. LaValse - Prelude Op 11 No 4 It is so nice to have some modern music that isn't jazz or new age in this recital. This Scriabin isn't one I know but it's so beautiful and played with such feeling. Great job!

25. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are That was a little different jazz to some of the other submissions and made a lovely change. I enjoyed all the mini runs in there.

26. wj3 / Walt - Take me home country roads This took me home alright! It doesn't matter where you live, you'll always have some country roads. This was a wonderfully simple performance of a classic - I enjoyed it very much.

27. BillM (formerly b528nf7) - Mr. President (have pity on the working man) A wonderful job as always; I don't know how you keep them coming but please keep them coming!

28. Strings & Wood - Op. 68, No. 16 (Erster Verlust) Schumann is hard. So deceptively simple but full of tricky spots. I loved it and whether it was one take or twenty it was definitely worthwhile!

29. serge88 - Your Song Right from the very first chord I knew what this was! I love this song and you did a great job with it. I just bang out the chords but you had some lovely runs in there. Excellent.

30. paquijote - Invention No. 7 in E minor - J.S. Bach I love the idea of taking on Bach inventions but somehow I never manage it. You did a great job with this - the counterpoint was evident throughout and the melodies weaved as they should.

Kawai K3
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
13. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Gypsy Legend This is a beautiful melody. I always enjoy listening to you play and it never ceases to amaze how far you've progressed in such a short time. Such an inspiration. Excellent, Cheryl.

14. CMohr - I Should Care You play this piece with such feeling and sophistication. I love the dissonant voices you chose for the chords. The tempo and hesitations give the lyrics even more meaning. A great rendition, extremely well played.

15. Todd Vance - Waltz, in C# Minor Op. 64 #2 Whenever I hear this music being played, it reminds me of why so many people love the piano and Chopin as they do. There are some tricky parts to this and you did a great job, very musical playing.

16. Joangolfing - Sonata E Major Op.14 No.1 Allegretto This sonata is not as familiar to me as many of the others. It is so...Beethoven. So much going on with this piece. You bring out the the subtle complexities very nicely and express the music beautifully.

17. Inlanding - Glen - Medley of Three Could have a used a bit stricter tempo with I Remember Clifford and improvised on it a bit more, but seemed the best one of four takes. As for the second piece, it could be developed a bit more. The third piece begins to tell a very nice story.

18. Ken. - Monk Medley - Misterioso & Bye-ya Such a playful piece of music. This is is one of my favorite Monk pieces. It is hard to play and you made it sound so easy. I'd not heard Misterioso before - thank you. Excellent work, Ken.

19. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Odin Sphere no Theme Beautifully executed and fun to listen to. Very sensitively played.

20. True Beginner - Winter Serenade I am impressed by the fact you composed this piece. The chord changes are beautiful and your playing is so smooth.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission