2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
02. wouter79 - the entertainer Sorry but I don't listen to recordings from acoustic pianos wink. This was a lovely performance of a classic. I gave up trying to learn this last year so I'm always impressed with those who've stuck with it (I'll do it one year). You struck a really nice tempo and there were some lovely touches with the dynamics.

LOL thanks for listening to my acoustic piano in spite of your preference wink Maybe you can also try the simplified version first. Yes tempo is essential for these rags and the original is really hard with these crazy jumps with the left hand. And I was being creative with the dynamics, in my version there is not much dynamic indications but in fact I mostly ignored the ones that were there also laugh

02. wouter79 - the entertainer You held a great bass line and tempo throughout. My Dad used to play Scott Joplin all the time. This is one of the greats of truly American music and you did it justice.

As a connaisseur you must know how this should sound, so I'm happy with your compliments smile

02. wouter79 - the entertainer I must be honest in saying that I was looking for a reason to slam you for something. ANYTHING!, but I couldn't as you gave me nothing to work with in that respect. SO....., I think you did a very nice job with this piece. Playing, timing, even the recording itself was very good. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for listening honestly and for the compliments!

2. Wouter and Entertainer - OK, I believe you can play this! You're not even afraid of the repeats. You have used your year well.

Thanks!

Yeah, I listened a couple more times and I think I was just on edge to be critical (I have no idea what LH melodies I imagined existed)--I'm not sure how this piece could be improved. I'm sure there are things, but beyond my ken. Good job Dubya.

LOL thanks!

02. wouter79 - the entertainer
You managed to get that nice light feel to this piece makes such a big difference in the overall sound. Good job!

Thanks! IMHO the key to light feel is to avoid the pedal.

2. wouter - Great first bar. I didn't get bored, so I listened to the rest. Nice ragtime pace, smooth transitions. Overall great job, though it would have sounded better on a digital (jus' kiddin').

Thanks for listening the whole stretch and for bearing with my acoustic! Good to hear the first bar was good!

Wouter, this music suits you well. Light and yet all the dynamics are where they should be. This was your Grotrian?

Thanks! Yes this is my Grotrian 189. The dynamics are mostly my design, as the score did not show anything in this respect except for the first page (and those I mostly ignored as well laugh )

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Wow, you guys made a lot of comments on my performance! I'm only halfway page 2 now! Many thanks again!

A really nice performance. Phrasing, dynamics and articulation all present and correct. Very impressive for someone who's played only a year.

Thanks!

02 Wouter79 – the Entertainer Great first bar! The rest were good too, I wasn’t bored for even a nano-second! You really did a splendid job – your Entertainer is just that – entertaining – jaunty, bouncy and full of energy. It’s quite a long piece too, I’m really impressed you can play like this after one year. Hat’s off to you Wouter.

Thanks for the compliments, particularly about the first bar, we know it's important now laugh

2. Wouter79 The Entertainer. Great job on the entertainer. It was very entertaining:)

Good to hear!

02. wouter79 - very nice tone and dynamics!

Thanks!

2. Wouter79: Perfectly played! Great job

Thank you!

LOL, so everyone seems to be needling wouter about something - must've been a comment he made on a thread I didn't read. Sorry folks, been super-busy this month; hence, why I missed this recital. frown

Anywho, the only way he can "improve" this piece is to graduate and play the full 1902 version . He should be able to do this as he improves. smile

Yes I made a remark about commenting on the first bar, and on telling if and where you got bored, and that ruffled a few feathers laugh

The full 1902 version looks still pretty hard, I don't want to compromise on the speed and articulation... maybe one day...

02 wouter79 - The Entertainer, Scott Joplin
Excellent! You keep a nice even rhythm throughout. That's not so easy with this piece. Good dynamics as well. I didn't know Grotrian made digital pianos. smirk

Thanks! Glad that you can enjoy this Grotrian sound grin

#2 wouter79 - You played it very nice and made me dance. I bet you had a lot of fun playing this one.

Thanks! Yes it is nice to play though after a few hundred times of playing I'm happy to move on laugh

Wonderfully captured the feeling wouter. Good job!

Thanks Mohan!

02. wouter79 - the entertainer - Mr Joplin would have been proud. The base line and tempo also did it for me. Nice and smooth throughout.

Thanks!

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
>>>> Nice job. Your hard work has really paid dividends.

Thanks very much TX Dennis for your compliment on A Time for Love.

>>>> rubato, speed changes: I think the piece can use much more.

I agree Wouter. Knotty on the Join the JOI Jazz Joint thread suggested I play along to the original so that I could hear more clearly how Bill Evans used rubato.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
02. wouter79 - the entertainer Simplified version? Very well done for your experience level. Check the original version for the dynamics that Joplin wrote. The first repeated section, for instance, is almost terrace dynamics, alternating between p and f, something you don't do. Also I noticed accents that seemed out of place here and there.

Yes, a version by Marcel Manshanden, downloaded from the web. Thanks for the compliments!

My version has only dynamics on the first page. And yes, I mostly ignored those as well. Well let's say 'enhanced' them grin

Yes some accents were out of place, thanks for the remark, I have to work on that.

Nicely Played had my foot tapping

Thank you!

2. wouter79 - The Entertainer This was my first recital piece, and brought my favorite comment of all time - "kind of sloppy octaves" laugh . It was true. I've since, in the right hand, made most of them into 6ths. This was a faster tempo than I can manage in the full version, but nice. You did a good job of keeping the rhythm going. The recording had a little echo to it on my computer but it actually added a good flavor.

Ah another expert on the entertainer! You must be playing and speaking of the full version. Not too many octaves in my version. Good to know, I will have to watch for the octaves in the full version.

"2. Wouter: I really enjoyed this. You played it with great "spunk." "

Thanks GlassLove! BTW you love Glass? Philip Morris Glass that is?

Very impressive playing for one year. Very even and nice tone. And yes dare we comment on the recording itself? Definitely good range even on my earphones.

Thank you!

02. wouter79 - the entertainer - I learned to play this version after 3/4 months of having started to learn piano. Even today I play it because everyone loves it and is a lively and rhythmic music. I think you made to keep the rhythm of music, but IMHO it seems to lack a little "joy" in interpretation. Nevertheless, you did a good job. Btw: I heard more than the 1st note...

4 months, amazing! Took me a bit longer to get it down. Thanks for your detailed comments! Yes I kept the rythm because this is supposed to be march-like. Mmm lacking joy, any suggestions or more specific what is lacking?

02. wouter79 - the entertainer image that came to mind

[Linked Image]
Nice idea to bring in an image instead of text. Interesting, I never associated this piece with the Prohibition. BTW someone here wrote that Joplin wrote the piece in 1910 and Wiki says it's 1902 and that the Rag dance was popular up to 1911. The Prohibition was started in 1920?

Interesting read about Prohibition though. It seems it had just as much adverse affects as good ones!

Last edited by wouter79; 02/18/11 08:01 AM.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
LaValse,

This image come to my mind when I hear your piece

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
First of all, I want to thank you for having devoted five minutes of your life listening to my piece.

Second, special thanks to Jotur, Hawgdriver, CMohr, Andy Platt, Inlanding, Peyton, Mr_super-hunky, BillM, Undone, KeemaNan, Casinitaly, Edtek, Ladypayne, TX-Dennis, FarmGirl, Mohan Karthik, John Frank, MartinJB, ShiroKuro, Augustina, Jazzwee, Monica K., TTigg, GlassLove, Strings & Wood for your comments on my piece. I am very happy (and proud) of you have all enjoyed so much.

Third, thanks for PianoWorld; I'm very proud to be part of this community.

Generaly speaking: "Dynamics" was the feature I've noticed that many of you pointed out. In fact, it created a (healthy) discussion around here about what was "Dynamics". My wife says it's the "flow" of the melody, but I think it has more to do with interpretation. In Wikipedia says something like: "Dynamics do not indicate specific volume levels, but are meant to be played with reference to the ensemble as a whole."

I'll be honest: I do not know much about "Music theory", I just try to play what I feel.
To all of you, thank you.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Hi LaValse,

Nice that you posted a few samples with the same music being played, makes a really interesting comparison! I think it might be even good idea to start a new thread on that.

BTW nice playing. The important part for me is halfway where the middle treble sets in.

To me the two samples sound very much the same.

So that learns us that it is not the back wall causing the problem!

Looking forward to the recording without front panels.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Carlos,

Dynamics refer to volume level, or dB if you want to put it really technical. And yes in music it is about changes in the volume, not about absolute volume level.

Flow is about the tempo. With flow, there are no tempo hickups and the tempo changes smoothly. Think about dancing along with the piece: if there is flow you can plan your steps and land at the right time. If there is no flow the rythm is distorted and you have trouble making the right movements. But if it is too metronomic, you start feel like a robot and your movements get stiff.

My next batch:

31. Augustina - Somewhere Out There from an American Tail
I must admit, I smiled when I hear the page turns. smile Very nice rendition of the theme song from this Spielberg/Bluth animated classic.

33. LisztAddict - Prelude in b minor
Another fine performance from one who always presents such lovely pieces. The second section sounded particularly challenging (at least to someone of my ability).

34. Mohan Karthik - So far away
Only at this for eleven months and your already submitting your own compositions to a recital, way to go! You put a lot of heart and feeling into this piece, and I thought the ending in particular was very well done indeed.

35. ladypayne - Nearer My God to Thee
I can never hear this piece without thinking of the RMS Titanic. You did a fine job and I liked the way you put a lot of added emphasis into the second verse.

36. MaryBee - Sheep May Safely Graze
I liked this recording a lot MaryBee. You did a great job with the ornamentation and overall feel of the piece.

37. FarmGirl - A Christmas Overture
FarmGirl, based on the additional information you provided, I suppose I should simply say "congratulations on being rid of this piece and may you never have to endure such torture again", but I can't help but add that I really liked listening to it and thought you played it wonderfully.

38. Andy Platt - Mozart Sonata in C (K545) Movement 2 - Andante
I'm sorry, but I didn't catch the "very noticeable flubs", you'll have to try and make them even more noticable next time smile I enjoyed the mathematical precision of your playing very much.

39. Sideshow/Edwin - Prelude - BWV935
I hate it when the recital participants hate their submissions which I in turn love. smile Once again, I really enjoyed this piece and thought you did a great job on it.

40. GlassLove (Christine) - Song of India (arranged)
Very nicely played. I wasn't so sure about this piece in the very beginning, but the more it went on, the more I liked it.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
Carlos,

Dynamics refer to volume level, or dB if you want to put it really technical. And yes in music it is about changes in the volume, not about absolute volume level.

Flow is about the tempo. With flow, there are no tempo hickups and the tempo changes smoothly. Think about dancing along with the piece: if there is flow you can plan your steps and land at the right time. If there is no flow the rythm is distorted and you have trouble making the right movements. But if it is too metronomic, you start feel like a robot and your movements get stiff.

Thanks wouter, this is a perfect explanation.

About your interpretation, and about my comment regarding with a "lack of joy": the diference between the humans and machines is the "emotion", and I think you can put a litle more emotion in your interpretation (btw: I don't know how...). It's nothing personal, it's just my opinion, and I still think that you did a very good job.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Wouter
My teacher worked with me on making that repeating note soft...the third finger does it best because of the hand muscle structure. Thank you for the specific comments. This has been much more rewarding than I had hoped...very fun.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Hawgdriver
LOL...actually the Buffs used to plan AF.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Wanted to hear a couple more pieces before I leave town (I'm presenting two papers at a conference). Need music before I go. :-)

#2 wouter79. Love this piece and especially your even, relaxed tempo with it. Encourage you to add more contrast between the sections. Nice job on that Grotrian.
#3 Peyton. Sorry about the loss of your friend. What a tribute this piece is though. Wistful and rich with feeling. When you move the right hand up an octave or so...I'd soften that left hand part even more to bring out the difference. Enjoyed it.
#4 dannylux. You have a nice touch on the keys and it creates a soft mood.
#5 sam smith. These are great pieces...thank you for sharing them. Especially liked your crescendo early on in the piece and the variety of moods evoked.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A few more...

48. Laura aka ten left thumbs - Moonlight Sonata, Op 27 no 2, 1st movement I think you did a great job with the dotted rhythm. And in bringing out the melody line. Dynamics were good too - the acc. was not overpowering. The arpeggio section was clear and clean. Very nice.

49. grotrianer - Sonata in c-minor op.10, no.1: 2nd mvt. - Adagio Molto Not boring at all - I was amazed at the little fast note passages you slipped in. And your variety of touch was great, as well as the trills and ornaments.

50. Bunneh - Barcarolle, No. 6 from Troisième Recueil de Chants, op. 65. Very smooth and free-flowing. Your balance betwen the hands was great. Loved your interpretation too - your little rubatos seemed just right.

51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop' Your hard work paid off - absolutely fantastic.

52. bluekeys - Invention #13 Quit beating yourself up! You did a great job. True, some people play it faster. Glenn Gould plays it in 46 seconds. But who cares? I think it sounds great at this speed.

55. Copper - Lullaby This should be the last piece in the recital! Loved it. So simple and so moving.

57. mcasl - Hob XVI:6, Sonata in G major, 1st mov. Thanks for playing this - we don't hear enough Haydn sonatas. Great job.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Wow! What a wonderful recital this time. Thanks everyone for your kind comments about my Mendelssohn SWW. Someone asked for the difficulty lever - probably a grade 7 or 8 I would think. Buried down in the Mendelssohn Appreciation Thread there is a list I compiled of all the SWWs and the difficulty levels that I could find. In Opus 19 (the first set of six) it is the second hardest. 19/5 is harder - it's in f# minor which then goes to f# major - yikes!

Anyway, I got a lot of satisfaction out of learning it and playing it. It was well worth the effort. I plan to revisit it sometime in the future and learn to play it faster.

What's on my music desk for the next recital? Something shockingly different!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Sam S
What's on my music desk for the next recital? Something shockingly different!

I'm gettin' ready for the shock!

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Sam S
Wow! What a wonderful recital this time. Thanks everyone for your kind comments about my Mendelssohn SWW. Someone asked for the difficulty lever - probably a grade 7 or 8 I would think. Buried down in the

The graded pieces spreadsheet I have suggests 8. I noted down in my document I keep pieces I would like to play one day (after listening to your performance):

Mendelssohn - Song Without Words Opus 19 #1 (IT doesn't sound THAT difficult!)

I listened to it today while looking at the score. I have decided that this is a great compliment to your playing because you made it sound easy but looking at the score it obviously isn't!!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
19. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik- You would have to tell us you learned it in three days!!! That would take me weeks and weeks to learn and I could never play it as smoothly and with such feeling. I especially love the crossovers and the run. Great recording quality too. I watched it on youtube.

15- Todd- This is one of those Chopin waltzes I keep coming back to and never finishing. I don't know why because it's such a lovely one (but then... which Chopin waltzes are not?) You really have it all down. I hope you keep working it, getting it to tempo, because it won't be long until you own it.

18-Ken- Great choices!! I agree with you totally, one of the things that makes monk's music so fantastic was his sense of humor. I'm going to go find that book you are using. It sounds like a ton of fun! Great playing.

22-Martin- A delightful, thoughtful piece. You play it elegantly and with feeling. Congrats on a fine ABF recital debut... smile

Hey, I just want to add my thanks to everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback on my piece. I think for a lot of us this is our only chance to put our playing out there and I know that I really enjoy reading what people have to say, not just about my work but others as well. I've also really enjoyed listening to everyone's work. It's been said before but I'll say it again... I am really impressed by the quality of playing on this forum. It just blows me away.

In a haphazard way I tried to listen to everyone's work and I apologize if I missed a few. I have to leave my computer (and piano) behind and go off to my "ski job"... and will be gone for a while. Cheers again for a great recital!!!

[Linked Image]

E
E
last batch, please note the link to an amazing midi at 41.

I promise not to procrastinate next recital and get an better recording setup.

35. ladypayne – Very cool that you can do your own improvised arrangements! I wish I had that ability.

36. MaryBee – I thought you did very good job on balancing the LH and RH. I also do miss being able to vary a note’s loudness as I did when playing wind instrument or singing. Unfortunately when we hit a piano note, that’s all she wrote for expressiveness.

37. FarmGirl – I love Christmas songs and it was great to hear this medley played so well.

38. Andy Platt – A flub or even two does not matter as much communicating what you want to the listener which I thought you did very well.

39. Sideshow/Edwin – Wow, this piece is really impressive. You are to be commended for the excellent performance.

40. GlassLove (Christine) – Such a pretty song and played so well.

41. jotur/Cathy Turner – A nice song, arrangement, and playing. You might be interested in this version, I think the best version of Amazing Grace I’ve ever heard:

Amazing Grace Chris Plasch

42. PhilzPiano – I thought you’re doing pretty darn good already with this piece but I guess we always think we can do better.

43. Yamaha G-3 & P-80 / Mike WHite – I had never heard of this composer but this is a really nice piece played really well.

44. MegumiNoda – Very well played and your hand movements looked so graceful and lovely in the vid.

45. Wisebuff – Very nice and your piano sounded so nice also.

46. ShiroKuro – It’s hard to imagine one hand getting all those notes out of guitar the dots. Great job!

48. Laura aka ten left thumbs – I never tire of hearing this piece. Thank you for letting us experience in such a well played way.

49. grotrianer – I just hope that one day I have enough confidence to take on a challenging Ludwig Van piece like this. Well done!

50. Bunneh – Ok, I’ll be as tough as I can be. This is a beautiful piece and I thought you did a fantastic job with it. Sorry if I offended you.

51. Hawgdriver (Leon) – You being up an interesting point. I have always used chord voicing to mean in what order you play the notes. But I have learned in classical music it can also refer to the emphasis you place on each note in a chord. I think this is what separates the great from the merely good. Anyway you did a fine job with this piece and we even got a short story to read while we listened to it.

52. bluekeys – I like this Bach piece and I thought your playing was very good. And yes, I’ve also found that just learning the notes is just the first stage in a long process of perfecting a piece.

53. custard apple – Someday I’ll have the nerve to tackle a Bill Evans piece. Nicely done.

54. TTigg / Steve C – A beautiful piece and played very well with dynamics well controlled.

55. Copper – Lovely simple piece played very well.

56. ddh - Daniel – I really like that the recital lets us hear pieces we might never hear ordinarily. Thank you for presenting this very nice song and you did a very good job playing it.

57. mcasl – I’ve always liked Hayden but am used to just hearing his string pieces. This was a pleasant change and very enjoyable.

58. edtek – Ok, I’ll get a better recorder setup before the next recital and also make sure I touch up the tuning before.

59. Starr Keys – This Seal song is so nice and your arrangement by ear is really good.

Ed (Out in the West Texas town of El Paso)
Yamaha P255
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the comments - going into weekend mode now - 'hic. A few people have expressed interest in the Scriabin piece - PDF is here:-

http://www.sailwave.com/music/op-11-04.pdf

Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission